Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Johnny Aztec posted:

Hello Thread, I present to you, a new in box

Blazing fast

28.8 Macintosh External Modem
Nice. I had the 14.4 model. :gbsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

Love this, it's definitely said in the most smug voice possible:

Did Funwaa do the typography on that ?

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

Blazing fast

With bonus AoL Floppy DISK , also a Compuserve disk on the other side.

I look forward to your imminent vaporwave Tumblre.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jerry Cotton posted:

Did Funwaa do the typography on that ?

Its kind of a threat when you think about it.

Come on you got the disk, just do it you candy rear end.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Computer viking posted:

There's also something to be said for letting an outsider curate a block of music, both because I don't always want to do that myself and for the off chance of hearing something new (or at least something I wouldn't have thought of unprompted).

That's why I subscribe to SiriusXM, even though I feel like a dummy when the bill arrives.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I canceled Sirius because it was just the same music over and over again. Now I just listen to podcasts. If I want to listen to music, I just think of a song I want to listen to on spotify and let it take the wheel from there. Better than when whatever channel I want to listen to on Sirius has decided to replay some live set they had for the third time.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
This is my friend's Amiga 1000 booting off of a USB that it thinks is a floppy drive. He's been able to recover some floppies from way the hell back in high school.

If he gets The Three Stooges running I'll let you know.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Older disks are waaaaaay more stout than later ones.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I didn't know the 1000 could run Kickstart 3.1

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

rndmnmbr posted:

As a former newspaper paginator, this is fascinating.

Now, I've done a bit of paste-up, back when there was still a printer on this side of Texas who could process those. Mostly as an exercise, I got into the newspaper business long after DTP was standard.
If anything, digital is easier because the trained apes like me can crop our photos to your requested shape. Or at least tell you what shape it's gonna be. Back in the day, you'd have to take a knife to the photo print yourself, right? I've nver done pasteup personally, but worked in a shop that did (I'm a photographer, I've never even seen the print shop, and the copy desk always complained that my photos didn't fit their layout.( Edit: in those cases, I told them to go gently caress themselves, this is ART, who cares about the text, you can make it fit with the fancy computer programs.)

But given that you know of pasteup and are in Texas, we may have met at some point.

Code Jockey posted:

Watching the machine run, and watching him operating it, was fascinating.

TBF, this is pretty much a universal thing when watching a man (or woman) who is a master of their craft.

Chillbro Baggins has a new favorite as of 04:33 on Jan 27, 2020

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Johnny Aztec posted:

Blazing fast

Edit: Oh, also have a gallery of a SGI "Octane" system
https://imgur.com/a/JEuqLc4

Similar to the "Indigo" posted earlier. I like how everything just slots in and out.

oh nice, this is an exact duplicate of the serial port 56k I had plugged into my Windows 2000 box from 2000 to 2001

EDIT: speaking of obsolete, bullshit copper wires. I remember when I splurged in late 1997 on a X2 56k modem (roffle owned k56flex scrubs :smug:). I excitedly hooked it up, dialed into my ISP's X2 line and....it maxed out at 26.4kbps. By 1999 it started connecting at 32kbps at least but due to the phone company's lovely degraded copper I was stuck connecting at 26.4 for the next two years.

Rev. Bleech_ has a new favorite as of 05:14 on Jan 27, 2020

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Johnny Aztec posted:

The "I had one of those on my Windows box" post above made me realize: what is actually "Macintosh" about the modem? In the era when Macs looked like that, they had RS-232, just with a different connector, so it only needs a special cable and obviously Macintosh software, but the modem itself can just be the same as a PC one can't it?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

You Am I posted:

I didn't know the 1000 could run Kickstart 3.1

Apparently you can boot KS from a floppy using Twinkick, which is kind of neat. I would've thought KS3.1 would complain about non-AGA era hardware, though. Maybe it's modded.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
An ad for IBM selectrix typewriters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNUEUth7qjc

they had a weird ball printhead instead of a ton of individual arms, which allowed you to change fonts pretty easily. This must have been cool at the time

here's a video about how the mechanics work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRCNenhcvpw

bring back old gbs has a new favorite as of 13:57 on Jan 27, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FilthyImp posted:

Anyway, the Dodgers in particular famously gated their games to, like, Time Warner a few years back so it wouldn't surprise me that cost and length of broadcast keep that poo poo out of FM -- what station's going to cut 3-4 hours of their JackFM playlist to broadcast stickball.

Here in Cincinnati, they definitely cut out blocks for the local sports on FM. The local active rock station runs the Bengals, and the local "contemporary hits" will stop playing Ed Sheeran for the Reds.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Iron Crowned posted:

Here in Cincinnati, they definitely cut out blocks for the local sports on FM. The local active rock station runs the Bengals, and the local "contemporary hits" will stop playing Ed Sheeran for the Reds.

Wait, really? I’ve been gone a long time, but I wouldn’t have thought 700 WLW had lost their stranglehold on Reds coverage.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

namlosh posted:

Wait, really? I’ve been gone a long time, but I wouldn’t have thought 700 WLW had lost their stranglehold on Reds coverage.

They still have an AM feed on WLW, but per the Reds website, they do have an FM feed

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My great grandfather had his own cola company so I'm always trying to find old stuff related to it. I recently found probably the only advertising plate left and tried to ink it and print the bottle graphic on paper. I probably underestimated the amount of ink they used and the force needed to make a good imprint. The best I could manage was a faint bottle shaped outline. :shrug:

I haven't had a chance to watch those videos, but is the etching lead then? I thought it was some kind of wax on the wooden block, but lead makes more sense.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It doesn't have to be. The newspaper used lead because it could be melted back down easily to be recast.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

My great grandfather had his own cola company so I'm always trying to find old stuff related to it. I recently found probably the only advertising plate left and tried to ink it and print the bottle graphic on paper. I probably underestimated the amount of ink they used and the force needed to make a good imprint. The best I could manage was a faint bottle shaped outline. :shrug:

I haven't had a chance to watch those videos, but is the etching lead then? I thought it was some kind of wax on the wooden block, but lead makes more sense.

What's the name of the company? I stumble across all sorts of esoteric things.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Krispy Wafer posted:

More likely brass or copper.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

bring back old gbs posted:

they had a weird ball printhead instead of a ton of individual arms, which allowed you to change fonts pretty easily. This must have been cool at the time

Those were incredibly handy in academia. Need to insert 12 mathematical symbols into a one-page paper? Without a Selectra, you handwrite them in. With a Selectra, you swap balls, hit the weird characters, then move on. Also handy, in a pre-computer age, if the Russian department has one; you can do all your normal departmental stuff in English, then learn to type Cyrillic on an English keyboard and you're good.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Those were incredibly handy in academia. Need to insert 12 mathematical symbols into a one-page paper? Without a Selectra, you handwrite them in. With a Selectra, you swap balls, hit the weird characters, then move on. Also handy, in a pre-computer age, if the Russian department has one; you can do all your normal departmental stuff in English, then learn to type Cyrillic on an English keyboard and you're good.

Selectric. It's called the IBM Selectric.

Anyway yeah they're neat as hell, I've written a few short stories on mine just for the novelty. Every typewriter with a moving platen has tended to "walk" across the tabletop as I use it, but not the Selectric. It also takes up far less horizontal space than the old kind. Wish I had a few more typeballs for it, but from a pragmatic point of view I use it so rarely there's no sense chasing one down.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I still don't know if the racing toy is Scalectrix or Scalextric or something else and quite frankly I'll never Bing[tm] it :evilbuddy:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Aztec posted:

What's the name of the company? I stumble across all sorts of esoteric things.

Bob's-Cola. It was popular in the Southeast and lasted until around 1953. I think I've found everything that's existed at this point. There are always random bottles, matchbooks, and cardboard carry-outs on eBay, but we're now searching for tin advertising signs. We've found 3 in the last 17 years and two of those can be considered signs only in the strictest sense (faded almost to nothing).

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

LifeSunDeath posted:

Love this, it's definitely said in the most smug voice possible:

absolutely read this in Chandler's voice from Friends, which is period appropriate as well I suppose

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Selectric. It's called the IBM Selectric.

Anyway yeah they're neat as hell, I've written a few short stories on mine just for the novelty. Every typewriter with a moving platen has tended to "walk" across the tabletop as I use it, but not the Selectric. It also takes up far less horizontal space than the old kind. Wish I had a few more typeballs for it, but from a pragmatic point of view I use it so rarely there's no sense chasing one down.

GDI, I even googled to check. I have no idea how I got it wrong. Error between brain and keyboard. Old IBM typewriters, like old IBM keyboards, are built like highly functional bricks. You have to work very hard to break them.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Selectrinatrix.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

If you want a good primer on how a Selectric works, check out the details of the Soviet Selectric bug, a listening device that detected movements of the print head and transmitted them to an external receiver, allowing the Soviets to remotely read what was being typed on Selectrics in US embassies.

It's a fantastically clever bit of Cold War-era engineering.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

SubG posted:

If you want a good primer on how a Selectric works, check out the details of the Soviet Selectric bug, a listening device that detected movements of the print head and transmitted them to an external receiver, allowing the Soviets to remotely read what was being typed on Selectrics in US embassies.

Just wanted to say that this is a great site, there's all sorts of old cloak and dagger stuff on there. This Russian microwave detector Osobnjak 8 lives in a suitcase and reveals any attempts to listen into conversations through hidden microphones:

Straight out of a James Bond film :allears:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

barbecue at the folks posted:

Just wanted to say that this is a great site, there's all sorts of old cloak and dagger stuff on there. This Russian microwave detector Osobnjak 8 lives in a suitcase and reveals any attempts to listen into conversations through hidden microphones:

Straight out of a James Bond film :allears:

This stuff is incredible, people have supposedly found was to screen peek computers remotely with EM interference devices but since I haven't heard poo poo about it in years I think it might not work that well.

The Thing was a really cool piece of early spy equipment, was essentially a hand made mechanical NFC chip you could pick up audio from a building over if you blasted it with radio waves. So it required no power and was very small for the time.

Too bad america never learns when it comes accepting gifts from russians.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

This stuff is incredible, people have supposedly found was to screen peek computers remotely with EM interference devices but since I haven't heard poo poo about it in years I think it might not work that well.

This was a big plot point in Cryptonomicon or some other Neal Stephenson book. CRT screens update the screen by shooting an electron beam at phosphors on the screen. It sends electrons along a row, sends a horizontal sync pulse, sends the next row, and so on, until the rows are sent and it sends a vertical sync pulse to start the next cycle of rows. If you can get an antenna to pick up these signals from the monitor, you could recreate that screen on your own device. Not as useful these days most likely. While LCD screens still receive the signal this way, they don't have a big honkin electromagnet broadcasting what it's doing like a CRT does.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

This was a big plot point in Cryptonomicon or some other Neal Stephenson book. CRT screens update the screen by shooting an electron beam at phosphors on the screen. It sends electrons along a row, sends a horizontal sync pulse, sends the next row, and so on, until the rows are sent and it sends a vertical sync pulse to start the next cycle of rows. If you can get an antenna to pick up these signals from the monitor, you could recreate that screen on your own device. Not as useful these days most likely. While LCD screens still receive the signal this way, they don't have a big honkin electromagnet broadcasting what it's doing like a CRT does.
LCDs are still vulnerable to Van Eck phreaking, it's just not done that much (as far as anyone knows) because there are so many alternative avenues of attack these days, and most of them give better access as well.

Same thing with a lot of old school surveillance and TSCM poo poo. Why bother with poo poo like the Selectric bug or the Thing when everyone's already carrying a microphone and camera on their person 24/7?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

My understanding is that it was harder on later, better shielded CRTs, and much harder on LCDs. Plus yeah, it's easier to just get some spyware on the machine since basically everything is internet connected these days.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Zereth posted:

My understanding is that it was harder on later, better shielded CRTs, and much harder on LCDs.
Pretty much the opposite, actually. CRTs are loud, noisy, and idiosyncratic. LCDs are super well-behaved: a digital signal is super regular and predictable, which makes it way the gently caress easier to pick out of ambient noise, do error correction on, and so forth. With a CRT you need details about the physical monitor being used and to either have one yourself or have a very detailed model of one to be able to translate the intercepted signal back into visual data (although there are a lot of shortcuts here, but it's still an additional complication).

I mean it's still way the gently caress easier to just compromise the system, but I'd waaaay the gently caress prefer to have to deal with the straighforward signal processing problem of an unencrypted digital signal intercept than to try any of the deep voodoo horseshit involved in anything but the most straightforward analogue signal handling poo poo.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

SubG posted:

quote:

The bug was fairly large and consisted of state-of-the-art integrated circuits and single-bit core memory. It was completely hidden inside a hollow support bracket at the bottom of the keyboard mechanism, and was invisible to the naked eye, but also to the detection equipment of the era. Only an X-ray scan could reveal the presence of the device, which is shown in the image below. It contains special components to hide its presence even from non-linear junction detectors (NLJD).

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Cojawfee posted:

Doing Van Eck phreaking on an LCD (a laptop monitor specifically) was actually what the plot point in Cryptonomicon was about. They knew how to do it with a CRT, but one guy was claiming he could read the screen buffer of an LCD, and proved he could in a controlled setting (neighboring hotel room, either side of a wall, somewhat cooperative partner with the laptop). Later, a main character is tossed into jail, but allowed to use his laptop—battery removed, and the power cord plugged in outside his cell so that the only place he can set is on top of a box the guards provided.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Vavrek posted:

Doing Van Eck phreaking on an LCD (a laptop monitor specifically) was actually what the plot point in Cryptonomicon was about. They knew how to do it with a CRT, but one guy was claiming he could read the screen buffer of an LCD, and proved he could in a controlled setting (neighboring hotel room, either side of a wall, somewhat cooperative partner with the laptop). Later, a main character is tossed into jail, but allowed to use his laptop—battery removed, and the power cord plugged in outside his cell so that the only place he can set is on top of a box the guards provided.

Bet one of these would block that poo poo :science:

Always assumed these anti glare/fatigue protectors were similar snake oil to "gaming glasses", and yet I'd see offices with one on every screen in the 90's. It's like people don't know there's a brightness knob.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's also very much a real-world thing. The standard reference in the public domain is a paper by Markus Kuhn which includes images of screen images received from a laptop 10 m away through several walls. And now days you can find videos of live demonstrations of it on youtube.

If you're searching for this sort of thing TEMPEST (the NSA term this countermeasures against this sort of surveillance, which has been adopted as a term for the surveillance itself in common usage) is a useful search term in addition to Van Eck phreaking.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Always assumed these anti glare/fatigue protectors were similar snake oil to "gaming glasses", and yet I'd see offices with one on every screen in the 90's. It's like people don't know there's a brightness knob.
Most of those are garbage and are just a low-quality neutral density filter. But anti-glare coatings and polarizing filters (where applicable) are awesome and work quite well.

Edit: Work quite well to reduce glare. Not as TSCM.

SubG has a new favorite as of 23:10 on Jan 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

LifeSunDeath posted:

gently caress. This garbage was everywhere and it was so drat useless and irritating.