Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

MourningView posted:

I mean they mostly did anyway because Zion is such an overwhelming talent, but it was a truly disasterous coaching job all around. They didn't recruit enough shooters so they had terrible spacing that K compounded by playing a ton of minutes with a traditional five rather than just unleashing Zion as a center and putting Cam at the 4. They turned way too much of the offense over to an inferior player in RJ, who had a tendency to just put his head down and dribble right into the teeth of the defense without a plan and chuck up awkward layups or floaters. And he runs an outdated offense by NBA standards that called like 10 pick and rolls featuring Zion all year.

it’s so wild to me that you could have someone as skilled as zion and an extended shot clock and not try loving wild poo poo like letting zion run the pick and roll with reddish or punishing dudes for running under a zion screen by turning it into a handoff since he can accelerate so quickly

duke should’ve been a basketball laboratory and under a less joyless coach it might have been

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Poque posted:

I used to live on that loving road, what the hell

Look at this encino man here.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Interesting that two of the people who have first hand knowledge of how the NBA rigged the 2002 Western Conference Finals died in the same month

"I have information that will lead to the arrest of Tim Donaghy"

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

MourningView posted:

I mean they mostly did anyway because Zion is such an overwhelming talent, but it was a truly disasterous coaching job all around. They didn't recruit enough shooters so they had terrible spacing that K compounded by playing a ton of minutes with a traditional five rather than just unleashing Zion as a center and putting Cam at the 4. They turned way too much of the offense over to an inferior player in RJ, who had a tendency to just put his head down and dribble right into the teeth of the defense without a plan and chuck up awkward layups or floaters. And he runs an outdated offense by NBA standards that called like 10 pick and rolls featuring Zion all year.

Are any of the great NCAA coaches great tactical coaches? It just seems that the key to building great college teams is so focused on year to year recruiting and the short term gelling of young egos that being and x and o genius isn't a necessary part of the job.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

MourningView posted:

I feel pretty confident that he's going to be better than Cousins if he's healthy.

If Zion can be better than the Cousins in his heyday that would be an achievement in and of itself.

When Cousins was with with a total poo poo show of an organisation known as the Sacramento Kings, he was capable of some balletic footwork on both ends of the floor that I, for one, had not seen before in a player of his size/athleticism. For all his faults (regularly falling asleep on defense) and impatience (fighting and acting like a diva), Cousins was able to improve his game at a pretty impressive rate very early in his NBA career. He quickly evolved into a 1st class defender and a dangerous perimeter shooter, while continuing to be an effective all-around offensive player and an insanely good rebounder on both ends. Put some respect on it, friend.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
He took a lot of charges, but I wouldn't ever really say Cousins was a good defender.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Lockback posted:

The halycon days of Family-Oriented Strip Clubs.
lmfao

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Declan MacManus posted:

it’s so wild to me that you could have someone as skilled as zion and an extended shot clock and not try loving wild poo poo like letting zion run the pick and roll with reddish or punishing dudes for running under a zion screen by turning it into a handoff since he can accelerate so quickly

duke should’ve been a basketball laboratory and under a less joyless coach it might have been

The amount of potential that is fulfilled by every basketball team is negatively correlated with the amount of control the coach has. Go watch some euro hoops if you want to see this play out in a non college setting.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Bip Roberts posted:

Are any of the great NCAA coaches great tactical coaches? It just seems that the key to building great college teams is so focused on year to year recruiting and the short term gelling of young egos that being and x and o genius isn't a necessary part of the job.

They're all great tactical coaches. They are bad strategic coaches. Because there is so much player turnover, the team builds around the coach and his system. Over time, the coach tinkers with the system, perfecting it, making small changes to account for rules changes and league trends, but keeping the system stable. If the player he recruits would be more effective in a different system, the system stays and the player can go gently caress himself, because at the end of the year he will turn pro and the coach will still be on the same team trying to win games.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bip Roberts posted:

Chris Beard and Jay Wright would be the two best current examples, in my opinion

bornbytheriver posted:

If Zion can be better than the Cousins in his heyday that would be an achievement in and of itself.

Was not a knock on Cousins, who was very good. I just don't think he ever got all that close to being a MVP candidate, which is what I think Zion will be

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 27, 2020

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Kibner posted:

He took a lot of charges, but I wouldn't ever really say Cousins was a good defender.

Fine, Kibner, I'll give you that.

Though yesterday Hubie Brown almost ejaculated live on TV when Gordon I-am-made-of-glass Hayward took a charge.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

bornbytheriver posted:

Though yesterday Hubie Brown almost ejaculated live on TV when Gordon I-am-made-of-glass Hayward took a charge.

People complain about Hubie but he's bizarrely one of the few guys now on major broadcasts that make a game more exciting

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

MourningView posted:

Was not a knock on Cousins, who was very good. I just don't think he ever got all that close to being a MVP candidate, which is what I think Zion will be

Sorry, I should have said that my reply to your post was not meant to be a dig at you.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

bornbytheriver posted:

Fine, Kibner, I'll give you that.

Nah, you fine. Defense is hard to judge and stats don't always tell the story. Boogie had really quick hands but he used them as a crutch too much and would often play lazy defense by swiping at the ball instead of getting his body in a better position to contest. He was stout in the post, probably because he never jumped so didn't fall for many pump-fakes.

I wouldn't say he was bad when he was at his best. Probably just solid/average. Some strengths, some weaknesses. Not a game changer on that end of the floor, good or bad.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Small balls starting five:

Kobe Bryant
David Bowie
R Kelly
Roman Polanski
Woody Allen definitely at PG

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Small balls starting five:

Kobe Bryant
David Bowie
R Kelly
Roman Polanski
Woody Allen definitely at PG

:drat:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Cousins was good at drawing charges, was immovable in the post, and had some quick hands for steals. He was bad on the perimeter, attention span would wane off the ball, and would be grab/reach happy. But being a mixed bag was definitely an improvement from where he came in, and I think the original argument was that he continually improved himself each year.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 27, 2020

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

garbage owl posted:

I've been trying to actively follow the Blazers this year as a lifelong Portlander. It's never a good year to get into them, but whatever. Maybe someone can help me figure out, though: I watched them play the Hornets with a buddy a couple weeks ago and the bar we were at had the sound off. At the end of the game, Dame was furious at the refs - what happened? We couldn't tell without the sound.

Could it be because of this play where Graham pushes him out of bounds but the refs don’t call it?

http://official.nba.com/last-two-minute-report/?gameNo=0021900595&eventNum=2235

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Interesting that two of the people who have first hand knowledge of how the NBA rigged the 2002 Western Conference Finals died in the same month

And Tim Donaghy has a movie about it coming out

Paul Zuvella posted:

"I have information that will lead to the arrest of Tim Donaghy"

Lol

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/1221869074700857348?s=19

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/FredKatz/status/1221868813312053251
Nice, gonna be simultaneous nationally televised Jazz games on tonight

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

MelancholyMark posted:

Was the 81 point game not recorded in HD?

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
:siren:Boogie chat made dig out .gifs of him, expect a minor .gif dump:siren:

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Some Shaq level dominance of a dude, you love to see it.

Helps that he seems like a super nice, humble dude, like, it was difficult to root against him even when he was with Duke of all teams.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

MelancholyMark posted:

That game is legitimately one of the most fun games I have ever watched

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Q: Is there a better Kobe highlight film on YouTube?
A: Not likely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZyyejtInYU

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

NickRoweFillea posted:

Completely overshadowed the 73rd win lol

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

NickRoweFillea posted:

That game really was insane to watch on tv.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

MelancholyMark posted:

They should play that game, the game against Dallas where he out scored them on his own through three quarters, the 81 point game, then, uh... the Trail Blazers and Knicks 60 point games?

Just do one game each night though Friday.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Just don't ever make me watch game 7 of the 2000 WCF again

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I completely forgot boogie cousins even existed and that makes me very sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Imagine posting Boogie .gifs and not including him flinging it at CP3's face as he's falling out of bounds