Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Maybe all the native plant and animal life was like mega calorie rich so just eating a single berry is like eating half a roast piglet.

I like this explanation and it is now my headcanon for the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

FreudianSlippers posted:

Maybe all the native plant and animal life was like mega calorie rich so just eating a single berry is like eating half a roast piglet.

My favorite part was how it was established that the jungle had been stocked with all kinds of dangerous plants and animals, and it literally only matters once in the entire movie, to explain where the guy got the paralyzing potion in that very stupid twist betrayal

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Also, what kind of lovely sport is it to hunt prey in a place where the landscape has a decent chance of doing the work for you? That's not even shooting fish in a barrel, it's shooting something that can't swim in a barrel.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Predator has this very prominent theme of familiarity with the setting being important. The soldiers are at home with the jungle, they do their camouflage, they hunt other people, they know what they're doing. But the Predator is the jungle. Like, literally, that's stated in the text of the movie. "The jungle came alive and took him". Dutch is only able to beat the predator when he becomes even more the jungle than the predator. His weapons are sticks and logs. He is camouflaged literally by jungle mud. That is how he wins.

So in Predators, the humans are completely out of place. They don't know the jungle, they can't know the jungle because it's artificial, designed completely to be the Predator's hunting grounds. But then they meet a guy who lives in the jungle. The predators hunt there, but Laurence Fishburne lives there. And they get grenades from him and then he dies and that's the end of that

I can't stress enough how disappointed/mad I am about Predators.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Finally got around to seeing La La Land. I'm not one for musicals but the movie really clicked with me. Probably something to do with Ryan Gosling being so charismatic.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

teagone posted:

My favorite part of Predators was Laurence Fishburne being chubby despite having survived being hunted on an alien planet for years.

He was eating for two

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

He was eating for two

I didn’t know it was also an Alien crossover.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Hughmoris posted:

Finally got around to seeing La La Land. I'm not one for musicals but the movie really clicked with me. Probably something to do with Ryan Gosling being so charismatic.

My take on La La Land is that I liked it a lot but it absolutely didn’t deserve the Oscar for best picture. That was also a hilarious fuckup that gave us this picture:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Coffee And Pie posted:

My take on La La Land is that I liked it a lot but it absolutely didn’t deserve the Oscar for best picture. That was also a hilarious fuckup that gave us this picture:

La La Land didn't get Best Picture, but you are, by far, not the first person to make that mistake.

Terrible reading comprehension

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 27, 2020

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I remember somebody in this thread said that the magic of the first Predator and, to a lesser degree, the second, is that they take a fairly straightforward contemporary action plot and then drop a loving big game hunter from space into the middle of it, and the key failure of every movie in the series since is that they are each about predators as a subject, rather than about how an action movie reacts to a Predator getting all up in its poo poo. Anyway, where I'm going with this is that if they want to make it work in the modern day, they need to have a Predator show up at the top of act 2 in John Wick 4.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

teagone posted:

My favorite part of Predators was Laurence Fishburne being chubby despite having survived being hunted on an alien planet for years.

*weeks

He talks about surviving a few seasons and by the end of the movie, which couldn't have taken place over more than a few days, a new season seems to start.

Which just makes it better because it means he arrived on the planet already out of his mind.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Skwirl posted:

Also, what kind of lovely sport is it to hunt prey in a place where the landscape has a decent chance of doing the work for you? That's not even shooting fish in a barrel, it's shooting something that can't swim in a barrel.

It's not any different from how people hunt. Sitting in a little camoflaged box in a tree using a long ranged scope to shoot a deer isn't a fair fight either. Let's see if any of these assholes can take down a large animal with a pointed stick.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

It's not any different from how people hunt. Sitting in a little camoflaged box in a tree using a long ranged scope to shoot a deer isn't a fair fight either. Let's see if any of these assholes can take down a large animal with a pointed stick.

There's still a difference, french canadians trapping small animals to make into coats didn't call themselves hunters

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Now I want to see a Predator movie where the Predators' stated goal is population control and they try to be really humane about it and there are Predator protestors trying to convince their people to stop skull collecting.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

There's still a difference, french canadians trapping small animals to make into coats didn't call themselves hunters

I'm pretty sure they do have some kind of bullshit like that for rich people and it was at one of these things where Dick Cheney shot that guy in the face. I could be wrong though.

Not on the part where Dick Cheney shot that guy in the face because he totally did shoot a guy in the face because he thought he saw a bird.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Like, they gave Ice-T better food, got him to quit smoking and gave him physical training before he was hunted for sport in Surviving the Game. The predators in Predators are like "if you eat the wrong plant on an alien world where even if you had a degree in botany you could probably do that on accident, and we know you don't have a botany degree that's a win."

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

CPL593H posted:

I'm pretty sure they do have some kind of bullshit like that for rich people and it was at one of these things where Dick Cheney shot that guy in the face. I could be wrong though.

Not on the part where Dick Cheney shot that guy in the face because he totally did shoot a guy in the face because he thought he saw a bird.

That time Supreme Court Justice Scalia died hosting a Masonic Hunting Lodge they were definitely up to some poo poo

Probably had some aliens teleported in to harass

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 27, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I don't want to defend Dick Cheney, but it was a lawyer he shot in the face, and specifically a lawyer that was friends with Dick Cheney.

Edit: Also, the fact your friend might accidentally shoot you in the face makes it a much more fair sport. That's almost a reality show, which truly is The Most Dangerous Game.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 27, 2020

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

I don't want to defend Dick Cheney, but it was a lawyer he shot in the face, and specifically a lawyer that was friends with Dick Cheney.

Edit: Also, the fact your friend might accidentally shoot you in the face makes it a much more fair sport. That's almost a reality show, which truly is The Most Dangerous Game.

It’s a win-win!

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Truly

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Reminder that the guy he shot in the face went on tv to apologize for the problems his being shot in the face caused his face-shooter.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
In case you folks didn’t hear, there’s an official track for the Sonic the Hedgehog movie with Wiz Khalifa, Lil Yachty, Ty Dolla $ign, and Sueco the Kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCuCpVPkWDY

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I remember somebody in this thread said that the magic of the first Predator and, to a lesser degree, the second, is that they take a fairly straightforward contemporary action plot and then drop a loving big game hunter from space into the middle of it, and the key failure of every movie in the series since is that they are each about predators as a subject, rather than about how an action movie reacts to a Predator getting all up in its poo poo. Anyway, where I'm going with this is that if they want to make it work in the modern day, they need to have a Predator show up at the top of act 2 in John Wick 4.

(Predator removes mask)

Predator: John...loving...Wick...

Wick: Hey Charlie.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

X-Ray Pecs posted:

In case you folks didn’t hear, there’s an official track for the Sonic the Hedgehog movie with Wiz Khalifa, Lil Yachty, Ty Dolla $ign, and Sueco the Kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCuCpVPkWDY

not as bad as I was expecting it to be, but still bad. the white guy at the end looks like someone who'd have a Sonic OC

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Coffee And Pie posted:

Oooh, forgot all about that cluster. And I agree, good movie but not best movie.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Honestly confounded that it's 2020 and we're talking about the Adrien Brody Predator movie I saw with my high school friends. The samurai fight was the only worthwhile part and even that was a little underwhelming.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
My favorite part of that movie was the goon who met Adrien Brody and asked him how he got so ripped for it and he just said "Steroids."

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I'm amused that you thought it would sound like you were defending Dick Cheney by pointing out that being friends with him is a moral failing.

TrixRabbi posted:

Honestly confounded that it's 2020 and we're talking about the Adrien Brody Predator movie I saw with my high school friends. The samurai fight was the only worthwhile part and even that was a little underwhelming.

Yeah, why is this not the universal reaction to Predators? I thought I was going crazy for a minute because it's such a forgettable movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

Yeah, why is this not the universal reaction to Predators? I thought I was going crazy for a minute because it's such a forgettable movie.

It looks a lot better these days now that The Predator came out and showed us how bad a Predator movie can really be. Kinda like how Terminator 3 seems better and better because every sequel is worse and worse.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

It looks a lot better these days now that The Predator came out and showed us how bad a Predator movie can really be. Kinda like how Terminator 3 seems better and better because every sequel is worse and worse.

Putting a bigger pile of poo poo next to a pile of poo poo doesn't make the first pile not of poo poo.

edit: Although, Predators isn't even bad enough to be memorable. It's just a nothing movie. I really did forget it even exists until someone mentioned it a few pages ago.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CPL593H posted:

Putting a bigger pile of poo poo next to a pile of poo poo doesn't make the first pile not of poo poo.

Especially when you put two nuggets of solid gold before the the first pile of poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T-gwyR7ugE&feature=emb_logo

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i avoided Star Wars IX for a solid 5 weeks but my dad wants to go see it and so i am going to see Star Wars IX

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's pretty dumb but like, fine enough. Things happen, it doesn't really drag.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's pretty dumb but like, fine enough. Things happen, it doesn't really drag.

That would make a fantastic poster quote.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Is Kobe Bryant going to be in the "In Memoriam" part of the Oscars?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I'd be surprised if he wasn't, seeing as he's an Academy Award winner.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It'll take a lot to top leaving out Jonas Mekas last year.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I haven't really been taking about this because it's weird and kinda personal, but the Kobe thing is extra weird because my wife and I went to his high school and because odd that I've always kind of hated him. Also the whole rape thing.

Skwirl posted:

My wife and I were taking about that last night, came to the conclusion that

pospysyl posted:

I'd be surprised if he wasn't, seeing as he's an Academy Award winner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Wouldn’t he be in next years