Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I had tried lone hand and thus have strenuously avoided all spirits direct labels unless I know it from elsewhere. I'll maybe check some of those out though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

New Riff is objectively good. However, it's also thought of as being 5-10 bucks more than it should.

I personally like it because out of all these new distilleries popping up they are committed to doing things the "right" way. They're totally transparent about how they are making things. I think they're a company worth supporting going forward (https://newriffdistilling.com/about/story/).
Thanks! I just grabbed a bottle on the way home after the discussion over the last few days. I’m looking forward to breaking into it.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Which one did you get?

I think I want to try the rye next. Anyone here had it before?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
What's a good, not too pricey entry point for Islay malts?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Toebone posted:

Bowmore is probably what you'd want there.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

What do you mean by not too pricey? And how smokey do you want?

Usually one of Ardbeg 10 or Laphroaig 10 is ~$55, depending on where you live.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Toebone posted:

Laphroaig 10 or Quarter Cask or Lagavulin 8 is probably the best bet - all three can be found for ~$40
Laphroaig select if that's too much - it's usually about $25-30?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Laphroaig 10 or Quarter Cask or Lagavulin 8 is probably the best bet - all three can be found for ~$40
Laphroaig select if that's too much - it's usually about $25-30?

$40? Where do you live because I might have to consider moving.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Enigma posted:

MA / RI prices, but I've seen better elsewhere even

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Bowmore is probably what you'd want there.

IMO Bowmore is *easily* the worst distillery on Islay.

Ardbeg 10 is one of the best whiskys in the world, and also the basic Ardbeg entry so hard to go wrong with that.

edit: I think I have a peat tolerance but :shrug:

Mao Zedong Thot fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 23, 2020

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

IMO Bowmore is *easily* the worst distillery on Islay.

Ardbeg 10 is one of the best whiskys in the world, and also the basic Ardbeg entry so hard to go wrong with that.

I love Ardbeg 10 but for an entry into Islays I think it might be a little challenging. Bowmore Legend is pure garbage IMO, but I think Bowmore 12 is a decent entry point to see if you like that sort of thing.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
IMO Ardbeg has a really front facing iodine and bandaids flavor. I love Laphroaig 10 and think its jet fuel and campfire flavors are going to be easier to acclimate with for a first Islay. If they're familiar with Bourbons, the Laphroaig Quarter Cask has some vanilla, oak, and heat that will be familiar to the palate, alongside the heavy smoke.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I'd love to find these Islays for <$50.

mango sentinel posted:

IMO Ardbeg has a really front facing iodine and bandaids flavor. I love Laphroaig 10 and think its jet fuel and campfire flavors are going to be easier to acclimate with for a first Islay. If they're familiar with Bourbons, the Laphroaig Quarter Cask has some vanilla, oak, and heat that will be familiar to the palate, alongside the heavy smoke.

Agreed, the Laph QC is a bit easier of an entry to smoke bombs while still being very smokey. Here, it's also $10-$15 more than the two 10s I suggested, though.

In my opinion, Ardbeg 10 has a bit more going on in it and leads a little more with iodine/vegetal flavor, whereas the Laph 10 is a little one-note in that it is smoke and that's about it (though it's a fantastic one note, so don't take that as a bad thing at all). Ardbeg 10 was my first scotch of any kind, and is my second favorite after Ardbeg Uigeadail, so if you're the kind to jump in with both feet, it's a fine choice.

Caol Ila 12 and Port Charlotte 10 are also quite good, depending on pricing. I wouldn't pay more for them than the other three options, but that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Enigma posted:

FWIW I checked and it's 38 bucks at my local total wine out in the bay area as well.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Toebone posted:

For SD recommendations, go in and try the Shieldaig Islay 14 yr or the Creag Isle 12 yr. The shieldaig is nice level of peat without being crazy aggressive about it, Creag 12 yr is pretty weak for peat, which I'll only mention as babys first peat experience. Its not a bad bottle for ~45 but its a very light touch of peat. The Shieldaig 14yr I really like, it has a good balance of peat and other flavors, although if youre not used to the peat it can be overpowering. If youre used to it, id highly recommend it. Its usually around ~60 a bottle, and its a good drink for it. Total Wine should definitely have then open for sampling if theres one nearby.

Ill also agree about the Ardbeg 10yr, but i also have love for campfire filtered whisky. Laphroig 10 also.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Enigma posted:

Which one did you get?
The normal bourbon. It doesn't look like I can get anything else in this stupid state.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Rebuilding my bourbon collection over the past few weeks.

So far I've gotten:

Eagle Rare (oh my god how did I end up with so many of these, they're supposed to be allocated)
EH Taylor
Blantons
McKenna 10
Stagg Jr Batch 13
Weller SR
Buffalo Trace
Sazerac Rye (I know it's not bourbon)
Michter's US-1

Not really sure what to be on the lookout for except backup bottles. I was keeping a list of the other stuff I wanted to find or try at work, but I feel like it's a pretty solid start to rebuilding. I have a feeling I'm just going to be popping into random liquor stores on my commute a lot to see if something catches my eye.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Solid list. Just some recommendations on fairly easy to find tasty bottles:
Old Forester 1920
Maker's 46 (or RC6 which is limited but on the shelves now)
Russell's Reserve
Woodford Double Oaked

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

No Butt Stuff posted:

So far I've gotten:

Eagle Rare (oh my god how did I end up with so many of these, they're supposed to be allocated)
EH Taylor
Blantons
McKenna 10
Stagg Jr Batch 13
Weller SR
Buffalo Trace
Michter's US-1

Not really sure what to be on the lookout for except backup bottles. I was keeping a list of the other stuff I wanted to find or try at work, but I feel like it's a pretty solid start to rebuilding. I have a feeling I'm just going to be popping into random liquor stores on my commute a lot to see if something catches my eye.
A lot of these trend on the higher proof side, but some of my favorites:

Wild turkey rare breed
Russel’s reserve single barrel
I’m a big fan of jack Daniels single barrel barrel proof
Four roses single barrel
Older knob creek store picks
Old forester 1920
Woodford reserve double oaked store picks

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Where is the Booker's? :mad:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Or Bakers.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Bookers is like $80 by me now, which is just too much when I can get most of those others for $50 or less.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I have a very specific whisky history question. Was there some sort of whisky-related nickname for Canada during Prohibition? I have a couple sources saying Canada was called "America's Whisky Warehouse" or something, but those sources are all Japanese so quite suspicious. Especially since Google isn't coming up with anything.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 25, 2020

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I don't care for either Booker's or Baker's. :shrug:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Gravitee posted:

I don't care for either Booker's or Baker's. :shrug:

No one is perfect.
Kidding, I didn't like Bookers either, love Bakers though.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

wormil posted:

Or Bakers.

Or candlestick makers! :argh:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm on the Rare Breed tonight, mellowing to some Muriel Anderson guitar.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Angels Envy Oloroso Sherry Cask for moi
:swoon:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Quiet Feet posted:

Or candlestick makers! :argh:

This is a weird version of that song from wakkos wish

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I've been drinking Longbranch tonight. Surprise: it, like everything else from the Wild Turkey distillery, is really good! I guess you could call it their version of "Gentleman's Jack" or "Dickel Barrel Select".

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Just picked up my first Islay, Ardbeg 10, after 10+ years of thinking I didn't like "smokey whisky". I've been living a lie.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Toebone posted:

Just picked up my first Islay, Ardbeg 10, after 10+ years of thinking I didn't like "smokey whisky". I've been living a lie.

Welcome, friend.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I've been pretty dry for Jan/Dec due to health issues.

That said, my buddy got the Glennmorangie 3-pack and the 12 is delectable.

The 14 isn't quite as nice, as it was sherry cask aged or something.

I'm going off foggy memories, but they are fond ones.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I've been pretty dry for Jan/Dec due to health issues.

That said, my buddy got the Glennmorangie 3-pack and the 12 is delectable.

The 14 isn't quite as nice, as it was sherry cask aged or something.

I'm going off foggy memories, but they are fond ones.

I think the 12 is probably the sherry aged one(The Lasanta), and the 14 is port aged ( Quinta Ruban).

If memory serves!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I found an EC Barrel Proof. I'm going to head into the single barrel picks soon. Tonight is eagle rare. I waffled on grabbing some Noah's Mill but I just didn't feel like a 50 dollar gamble.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I did not like my bottle of Noah's Mill.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I got a bottle of Noah's Mill as a gift a few years ago, I remember liking it okay but there's much better options for $50

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

No Butt Stuff posted:

So far I've gotten:

EH Taylor
Blantons
McKenna 10
Stagg Jr Batch 13
Weller SR
Buffalo Trace
Michter's US-1

A number of people have responded, but I would like to add Elijah Craig Barrel Proof to the list of "good bourbon to keep an eye out for." Should be about $60. Still has a 12-year age statement, which is almost unheard of in the "non-special release" cask strength bourbon category.

E: Looks like you snagged one, nice!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

mllaneza posted:

I think I saw that at Trader Joe's. Might give it a shot.

Following up on this. What I saw was an Alexander Murray & Co. 13-year cask strength. For $35. This was probably a one-time purchase (like the aged Lismores) so I'm trying to pick up a bottle a week until they're all gone.

As an introduction to cask-strength whiskey... I have a new master. She comes in a bottle from TJ's and treats me like I deserve.

I've got the open bottle I tasted, and one set aside for the collection, along with one each Lismore 15 and 18. Rebuilding the collection is going swimmingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

A number of people have responded, but I would like to add Elijah Craig Barrel Proof to the list of "good bourbon to keep an eye out for." Should be about $60. Still has a 12-year age statement, which is almost unheard of in the "non-special release" cask strength bourbon category.

E: Looks like you snagged one, nice!

I haven't cracked it yet. I think that and the Stagg Jr will both be in a single night to try to compare them.