Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Yardbomb posted:

A video called "In Defense of Columbus" should just be all about making GBS threads on anyone who ever defends him.

who the gently caress defends Columbus outside weird chuds. like yeah he is an interesting history character in the hosed up horror way. but he was monster/failure either way. if you want to find a good catholic spanish imperial hero. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartolom%C3%A9_de_las_Casas he is one of the better people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1PeB3yJUnI

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAmXzVuFEoA

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeSz2gW8IsE Rick Berman was really poo poo.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I've been watching random anime people opening lucky bags they bought in Japan/at cons. I've always been morbidly curious at those things and what was inside of them.... and unsurprisingly, its not worth it at all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGMNpq6x-QU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6y1pILZsRg

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Rick Berman being poo poo isn't a big secret, it's a fine video nonetheless.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn2tZMk62sY
What is it with Ricks?

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Guess who's back?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1222342607025496064

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ah the johntron defense, the classic when the neo-nazis need to have a friend who's not TOO ethnic

Should be a good video, Orientalism doesn't get talked about enough

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I haven't seen and will not see the live action lion king. What does she mean in the second tweet? About Shenzi being a girlboss

I'm asking cause Shenzi was the boss of the group in the original

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Macaluso posted:

I haven't seen and will not see the live action lion king. What does she mean in the second tweet? About Shenzi being a girlboss

they basically just gave Shenzi more lines and all and everyone's go to IMDB trivia level non-observation is to elbow you and go 'see, because hyenas are matriarchal' as if that makes it less boring.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Mother's Basement goes in-depth on a pretty drat good anime called Re:Zero, an isekai (transported to another world) series where it's not about being a power fantasy and more about being a wake-up call for the protagonist to be a better person. I read the manga of this and it really surprised me in how good it is and how it plays with the tropes of the genre, and had some scenes that were incredibly effective at getting an emotional response from the reader as well as some genuine horrifying or heartbreaking moments. I'm really excited for the second season that's coming this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5cJKpQvqWI

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The current airing of Season 1 is also something of a first in Anime in being a TV airing of a Director's cut which will be integrating back in content that got cut from the original airing!

Re;Zero is great but I gotta say having to live through Subaru's more cringe moments all over again really hurts.

When is my spider girl isekai, I've been hyped for it for like 2 years now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There was a teaser showing a wayyyyyyy less poo poo-looking Alaba so I think they went back and redid a bunch of stuff in the spider isekai due to the extremely poor reception to the moomin spider and beast wars-quality alaba

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

It's a good video, but this was hilarious

https://twitter.com/theaaronschmit/status/1222046115169816576?s=20

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Captain Invictus posted:

There was a teaser showing a wayyyyyyy less poo poo-looking Alaba so I think they went back and redid a bunch of stuff in the spider isekai due to the extremely poor reception to the moomin spider and beast wars-quality alaba

The manga spider I think does look better than the light novel version which they based the anime version off of; but I'm glad they decided to take more time to hopefully polish things. We had some pretty decent CGI anime recently and Spider so what could really benefit from the best in terms of what animation has to offer.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A masterpiece unto itself

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrMvyVEQO6M

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Invictus posted:

Mother's Basement goes in-depth on a pretty drat good anime called Re:Zero, an isekai (transported to another world) series where it's not about being a power fantasy and more about being a wake-up call for the protagonist to be a better person. I read the manga of this and it really surprised me in how good it is and how it plays with the tropes of the genre, and had some scenes that were incredibly effective at getting an emotional response from the reader as well as some genuine horrifying or heartbreaking moments. I'm really excited for the second season that's coming this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5cJKpQvqWI

How many generations of "otaku wake-up call" anime are we on now? I feel like it's been one of the main currents of anime since the beginning of the 80's, to the point of almost being template (not to say this one necessarily is).

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

thumbnail for this is gross as hell, no thanks

this is good

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

How many generations of "otaku wake-up call" anime are we on now? I feel like it's been one of the main currents of anime since the beginning of the 80's, to the point of almost being template (not to say this one necessarily is).
There's usually a couple a year. Most don't really do a good job of it.

This one is where a guy familiar with isekai cliches goes in expecting to get powers and he...doesn't. It's basically the equivalent of a corgi being transported to a world populated by bears, he is hilariously weak compared to basically every other character of note in the show, and has to negotiate and talk his way through most things instead of using ridiculous superpowers. The only "power" he has is "checkpointing" where he respawns back in time to predetermined points whenever he dies, and he dies a LOT. It sounds like an overpowered ability, but hoo boy, the series shows real harshly how badly something like that could affect your mental state.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Why do the DS sisters from Neptunia have their own anime

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember I got tired of playing Persona 5 when it had me doing some nasty fetishized version of the "otaku wakeup" anime trope. I wish satoshi kon was still alive.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I can’t comment on most of what MB talks about because my main exposure to this series is Isekai Quartet, but he’s not doing a very good job of selling it to a non-fan. Having a main character who is a loser nerd, and whose big moments involve learning very basic life skills, works far better in a comedy like Watamote than it does in something that’s also trying to sell itself as a straightforward action or horror series. When it was airing I remember dropping it very quickly because it seemed like it was revelling too much in how weak and useless its protagonist was, and MB has done nothing to change that impression.

I think that, in general, MB has a habit of confusing “this show resonated with me for personal reasons” for “this show is objectively good”. It was the same with Erased and Re:Creators; two other series he can’t stop singing the praises of.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He's right to sing the praises of Erased, it's fantastic. Though I hear they changed the anime version's ending which isn't great.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Erased is actually good.

Meanwhile Re:Zero is the story of a stalker being rewarded for his efforts.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Considering the direction Watamote takes later its manga run I don't think that's a very good example, it stops being a cringe comedy shortly after where the anime ends.

The point of making him a loser nerd and NOT a comedy is because a lot of loser nerds take themselves completely seriously and legitimately have a massive sense of entitlement. You can't make a biting commentary about something like that while giving them an out, you gotta painstakingly pull them apart before you can put them back together; this is the essence of deconstruction.

Look at Re;Zero and JK Haru and compare it with most other Isekai's and the differences are stark. It was really about time that something came along and looked at those sorts of characters and the audience that swallow up the basic assumptions that feed into the premise uncritically and give them a good slap to the face.

I think you're making a mistake in assuming that Re;Zero at all intends to be "straightforward", I don't think that was remotely the attempt. I think the author clearly wanted to say something and comment on the kinds of stories he was reading a lot of and wanted it to do better.

Ultimately one of the things that sells me on Re;Zero is that much like Spider So What is that there's real stakes. I'm bored of Showy Invincible Hero shows that are just excuses to be a harem romcom with occasional action scenes. I want the protagonist constantly on their toes and struggling just to breath.

e: Erased is good. Re;Creators I never finished I dunno I feel like something felt off and it was never going to live up to the expectations I had, like I immediately assumed like there's no evidence that the normal human world is not also in fact a fictional world in some sort of inception russian doll and that it was never going to do the actually challenging thing and do something like that.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

He's right to sing the praises of Erased, it's fantastic. Though I hear they changed the anime version's ending which isn't great.

That seems to fit with my experience of the show. I enjoyed it for a while and then it just seemed to take a nosedive in quality at the end, although I can’t remember enough about it to explain why exactly I had that reaction.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Bakeneko posted:

That seems to fit with my experience of the show. I enjoyed it for a while and then it just seemed to take a nosedive in quality at the end, although I can’t remember enough about it to explain why exactly I had that reaction.

Erased actually come to think of it perfectly encapsulates my one pet peeve with the writing/production of anime where a lot of the truly awesome and engaging ideas/settings only seem to exist as an excessively short one off tv show or movie.

Erased as a time travel ongoing detective series where the main character uses his abilities to travel constantly back and forth between different times of his life to solve mysteries like anime version of the Canadian tv show Odyssey is perhaps the greatest premise for a show they did all the setup for and then never went with it.

Basically not only was it too short, but it should have had additional seasons with new villains/scenarios that requires further use of those abilities while living as a mangaka in the present day.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

Erased actually come to think of it perfectly encapsulates my one pet peeve with the writing/production of anime where a lot of the truly awesome and engaging ideas/settings only seem to exist as an excessively short one off tv show or movie.

Erased as a time travel ongoing detective series where the main character uses his abilities to travel constantly back and forth between different times of his life to solve mysteries like anime version of the Canadian tv show Odyssey is perhaps the greatest premise for a show they did all the setup for and then never went with it.

Basically not only was it too short, but it should have had additional seasons with new villains/scenarios that requires further use of those abilities while living as a mangaka in the present day.

That's the same kind of problem that sunk Re;Creators for me. Amazing premise with lots of potential to have characters from different genres interact in fun ways... and they barely do anything with it.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Captain Invictus posted:

There's usually a couple a year. Most don't really do a good job of it.

This one is where a guy familiar with isekai cliches goes in expecting to get powers and he...doesn't. It's basically the equivalent of a corgi being transported to a world populated by bears, he is hilariously weak compared to basically every other character of note in the show, and has to negotiate and talk his way through most things instead of using ridiculous superpowers. The only "power" he has is "checkpointing" where he respawns back in time to predetermined points whenever he dies, and he dies a LOT. It sounds like an overpowered ability, but hoo boy, the series shows real harshly how badly something like that could affect your mental state.

So basically he's in a Soulsborne isekai, only without the lore?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i really liked this. surprised to hear podcast fans are less psycho than youtube fans but it kinda makes sense. I wonder if they just skew older or something?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Bakeneko posted:

That's the same kind of problem that sunk Re;Creators for me. Amazing premise with lots of potential to have characters from different genres interact in fun ways... and they barely do anything with it.

Well the thing is I feel like Erased did exactly "what" it needed, I just wanted more of what it did.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Farm Frenzy posted:

i really liked this. surprised to hear podcast fans are less psycho than youtube fans but it kinda makes sense. I wonder if they just skew older or something?

it probably helps a lot that there isn't a centralized location to comment on a podcast, whereas every youtube video is a new place to get harassed. you also can't DM a podcast

not to take away from her point that, yes, youtube is a lovely toxic place

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Do the various "commentary" groups have their own podcast on those websites? If not, I'm sure that may be a factor.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

This is extremely good.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

it probably helps a lot that there isn't a centralized location to comment on a podcast, whereas every youtube video is a new place to get harassed. you also can't DM a podcast

not to take away from her point that, yes, youtube is a lovely toxic place

You'd think that would mean the toxicity would be contained to YouTube, but it always spills over to other platforms like Twitter, Reddit, or CuriousCat. You can very much reach podcasters through those same means but somehow this same translation of bad YouTube comments to bad social media everything doesn't happen as much?

I think we might be really underestimating how "toxicity" isn't just a general lovely attitude on a website, but something that actively spreads and eats away at everything around it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Raenir Salazar posted:

Considering the direction Watamote takes later its manga run I don't think that's a very good example, it stops being a cringe comedy shortly after where the anime ends.

The show also amped up the comedy a bit more than the novels. I think it can also be forgiven as the whole thing's semi-autobiographical (the author had severe social anxiety and Watomote started as a coping mechanism.)

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Watamote managed to survive its change in tone so well because it felt like a natural evolution of its original premise, not a sudden retooling. The story itself started to grow up alongside its main character, but both are still recognizable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
In the manga of erased, it was quite a bit more final in the end than whatever the anime did, apparently, it wasn't interested in becoming a recurring series over telling the story it wanted to tell

Shinji2015 posted:

So basically he's in a Soulsborne isekai, only without the lore?
Basically, though it definitely builds on the world lore quite a bit as the series goes on.

Bakeneko posted:

Watamote managed to survive its change in tone so well because it felt like a natural evolution of its original premise, not a sudden retooling. The story itself started to grow up alongside its main character, but both are still recognizable.
And it's absolutely still cringey in very watamote ways when it wants to be

Boy that baseball fangirl

Boy howdy