Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1222238196479799298

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Spacebump posted:

Another huge surprise this year is THJr shooting 39.8% from 3 on almost 7 attempts per game.

A while ago I almost set up a challenge about his 3pt shooting, where I would bet the under on 33% for the rest of the season. Instead I made the challenge about Siakam, which is paying off for me about as well as it would have if I'd gone ahead with Hardaway.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

The hysterics need to end. Like ASAP.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

How many 76ers practice videos are we going to get

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Waiting for the first player to set themselves on fire in Kobe's memory

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

bornbytheriver posted:

Are you new to basketball?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kobe meant a lot to guys I don’t see what is so hysterical about that

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The most famous third-best player on his team ever after maybe Dennis Rodman

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I know it's a flattery thing but tbh I never got why any player since the 90s has worn 23. It's like c'mon man, you know whose number that is.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CRISPYBABY posted:

I know it's a flattery thing but tbh I never got why any player since the 90s has worn 23. It's like c'mon man, you know whose number that is.

It's always funny when a guy with that number isn't good.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Dinwiddie is also an LA native

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
My own feelings about him aside players pretty much universially revered Kobe and he died very suddenly and tragically with his daughter, it's not weird at all that they'd be sad and going out of their way to honor him. Most of them grew up watching him. It's also hard to blame them for not thinking about the sexual assault case when the league and media did everything in their power to pretend it never happened the second the case ended. It only really started to come up again fairly recently when he won an Oscar at the height of the Me Too stuff, and even then only a few people were talking about it, almost none of them in sports media.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 28, 2020

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
A simple cure for those inflicted by the hysteria: make a donation to The Rape Abuse and Incest National Network (RAINN) care of Mr K Bryant.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I can't believe Iran assassinated Kobe as retribution

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Small balls starting five:

Kobe Bryant
David Bowie
R Kelly
Roman Polanski
Woody Allen definitely at PG

Tupac
Mike Tyson
Michael Jackson
Bill Cosby
Kevin Spacey on the bench
edit: Louis CK in there for sure

weed cat fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 28, 2020

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I'll say again what I said in the other thread - we just need to send the best diplomat we have: Dennis Rodman

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Boredumb posted:

Are you new to basketball?

Bornbytheriver is the posting rookie of the year favorite imo

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

CRISPYBABY posted:

I know it's a flattery thing but tbh I never got why any player since 2003 has worn 23. It's like c'mon man, you know whose number that is.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

CRISPYBABY posted:

It was cool when LeBron did it. Someone who grew up wanting to be like Mike, wearing 23, and becoming part of the GOAT discussion owns. I wish LeBron used 23 his whole career. I hope the next potential GOAT is inspired by Lebron and picks #23. Having future GOATS wear 23 because of the last one would be cool.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 28, 2020

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

23 and now 24 should be special numbers that can only be worn by one player. That player earns the right by winning a 1-on-1 tourny

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

WhyteRyce posted:

23 and now 24 should be special numbers that can only be worn by one player. That player earns the right by winning a 1-on-1 tourny

This idea owns.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

MourningView posted:

My own feelings about him aside players pretty much universially revered Kobe and he died very suddenly and tragically with his daughter, it's not weird at all that they'd be sad and going out of their way to honor him. Most of them grew up watching him. It's also hard to blame them for not thinking about the sexual assault case when the league and media did everything in their power to pretend it never happened the second the case ended. It only really started to come up again fairly recently when he won an Oscar at the height of the Me Too stuff, and even then only a few people were talking about it, almost none of them in sports media.

And take a hypothetical current player that grew up adoring Kobe and who didn't pay close attention to the sexual assault case and settlement/non-apology. They were teens (or younger) focused on their own game and potential college scholarships, and as MV said the media and NBA PR buried it as much as possible. They wear 8 or 24 and get drafted and then manage to snag the number in the pros.

Revisiting the assault case would have been unlikely until #MeToo and Kobe's Oscar brought it back (sort of) into the public discourse. However it's a decade-plus later and Kobe has already retired with a legendary iconic final-game performance.

If the hypothetical current player, now a mature adult, read up on the sexual assault charges and legal outcome and became terribly conflicted, how could they address it in any satisfactory way without earning the ire of a lot of fans and NBA folks alike?

After the helicopter crash and tragic deaths of the 9 passengers, this hypothetical player could decide to change numbers. To everyone else it's a solemn tribute to the late Kobe, and to the player it honors the on-court star while also moving on from the off-court person. Farfetched as heck, but it's just an example to illustrate how little we can learn from a player's tweet or media soundbite.

It's a complicated situation, and I don't begrudge a grieving player or distraught Kobe fan who cannot properly process it in the immediate aftermath of his passing.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

The NBA allowing these jersey switches on a "case by case" basis is funny because are they actually going to tell someone "no, Kobe actually didn't mean that much to you, sorry" ? Or does it just mean you have to write an email just to be safe.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Spacebump posted:

It was cool when LeBron did it. Someone who grew up wanting to be like Mike, wearing 23, and becoming part of the GOAT discussion owns. I wish LeBron used 23 his whole career. I hope the next potential GOAT is inspired by Lebron and picks #23. Having future GOATS wear 23 because of the last one would be cool.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

dokmo posted:

PJ Washington being good is probably the most surprising thing of the year for me.

It feels so good for the franchise to finally just hit, like, a double in the draft. I don't know if his high end is really that high but he feels like he's going to be one of those guys that has a lot of value by being solid at everything and terrible at nothing. He's a smart player, too:

https://twitter.com/bgeis_bird/status/1222148513833848832?s=20

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

bornbytheriver posted:

Changing your number as a show of respect is fine. The alternative of random teams like the Mavs retiring Kobe's number is so much worse

AggressivelyStupid posted:

https://twitter.com/AmazeModica/status/1221628089563852801

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Tracking the increasingly outlandish suggestions for how to honor Kobe on Twitter have been a little funny

https://twitter.com/LakeShowCP/status/1221976690378694656?s=20

https://twitter.com/MadeByTim/status/1221949563847749632?s=20

https://twitter.com/Smuzzy_YT/status/1221604861453766657?s=20

https://twitter.com/JSTEINO/status/1221576935966420995?s=20

https://twitter.com/CarwynThomas94/status/1221854388886568962?s=20

morestuff fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 28, 2020

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Jesus Christ

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Now that is some excellent math.

fe: it took me a second but I understood it but I'll leave my shame up.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I'll participate in the honor by accepting 30% of his estate

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Looking at all the people freaking out about trading Conley on twitter is making me upset

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

I don't hate this one tbh

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/KendrickPerkins/status/1222234702192488449

In very important stdh news.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

morestuff posted:

Tracking the increasingly outlandish suggestions for how to honor Kobe on Twitter have been a little funny

:barf:

Edit: I think they should name the all star mvp trophy after him, and that’s about it

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I just want Keifer to go back and character and electrocute someone for Kobe.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

At my school some kid has a locker that has t mac on the magic painted on it and I will now make a formal request that they change it to Kobe RIP. will post photos when I get home.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Did we all just gloss over that Kobes death made Perk apologize to KD?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm more surprised Perkins still tweets so soon after racism that ended many careers instantly

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Tae posted:

I'm more surprised Perkins still tweets so soon after racism that ended many careers instantly

He learned the Trump lesson, if they don't deplatform you, just power through the shaming and everything will be fine a few days later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Whaaat the gently caress. :stare: