Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

PainterofCrap posted:

I still use Zunes for music (yes, yes, :corsair: ) and Microsoft stopped supporting it in 2014. They took down everything...including the server that is required to link to the unit to check for software updates when editing collections, etc using their app on my laptop (I'M NOT DEAD YET!).

Apparently there are other olds out there still clinging to these cute l'il bricks. On Reddit, some clever monkey crafted a work-around involving creating a fake IP address on my laptop using Abyss, and redirecting the Zune software there so it can complete the update callback request. It was a PITA to set up correctly, but it works like a charm

I love stuff like this, there's a little community that hacks printers that have a set number of prints to keep them going. :unsmith:

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Also zunes were doomed from the start but superior. I wi die on this hill.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

I [...] use Zunes

lmao

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ZeusCannon posted:

I despised the software, but loved the unit itself.

I just wanted something I could treat like a removable hard drive but play music on.

Thankfully, I can do all that now on my phone and not have to worry about poorly designed software interfaces.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Threadenscheude

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

ZeusCannon posted:

Yeah we’ve all seen your tattoo

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah I'm calling bullshit on this one. He had no idea what it did and just left the charge running every month? You have to sign up for instantInk, it doesn't just magically appear when you plug in your HP printer.
Did he think new ink cartridges just appeared randomly every time his ink got low?
You also get told that you can't use your ink instantInk cartridge anymore when you cancel the service.

Not defending HP, they are a terrible company and ink prices are absurd, but he's just a dumbass who didn't read what he signed up for and is now mad that he couldn't game the system.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

PainterofCrap posted:

I still use Zunes

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

ZeusCannon posted:

poo poo like that is why everytime i see cloud enabled on some DIY tool or some poo poo instead of local software i write that fucker off
Sometimes I think I am being a fear-mongering rear end when I have this attitude, but I;ve been proven right more times than wrong.

PainterofCrap posted:

Apparently there are other olds out there still clinging to these cute l'il bricks. On Reddit, some clever monkey crafted a work-around involving creating a fake IP address on my laptop using Abyss, and redirecting the Zune software there so it can complete the update callback request. It was a PITA to set up correctly, but it works like a charm

On the other hand, I do take solace that no matter what type of DRM or cloud integration is out there, someone will have worked out how to crack/bypass it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Wrong thread. Cursed Images or AUG.

I rebuild the things. Have at least a dozen, plus parts. Hey, it keeps me off the street

They're already so old that handing one to most people results in mild confusion followed by a ton of finger swipes. Followed by more confusion.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 29, 2020

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Shai-Hulud posted:

Yeah I'm calling bullshit on this one. He had no idea what it did and just left the charge running every month? You have to sign up for instantInk, it doesn't just magically appear when you plug in your HP printer.
Did he think new ink cartridges just appeared randomly every time his ink got low?
You also get told that you can't use your ink instantInk cartridge anymore when you cancel the service.

Not defending HP, they are a terrible company and ink prices are absurd, but he's just a dumbass who didn't read what he signed up for and is now mad that he couldn't game the system.

I had a CBS All Access subscription for, like, 5 months before I realized it after ordering it for one month to watch the Superbowl.

What I'm saying is some of us are extremely dumb.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Or it's like Audible where you have to click through enough screens that obfuscate the "yes I absolutely definitely want to confirm I'm cancelling" button that I've accidentally left my account active at least twice now.

e:not to discount the fact that I am also extremely dumb

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 29, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Captain Hygiene posted:

Or it's like Audible where you have to click through enough screens that obfuscate the "yes I absolutely definitely want to confirm I'm cancelling" button that I've accidentally left my account active at least twice now.

e:not to discount the fact that I am also extremely dumb

Oh that must be newer, early audible you could only call them to cancel, I chewed out that call center person.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Planet Fitness is even worse. Your only two options for canceling your membership are to send a letter (a physical, mailed letter) or show up in person. There's absolutely nothing about the process that can't be done on a computer and it only takes a minute or two, but it feels like they're intentionally making it as uncomfortable as possible to discourage you.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

LifeSunDeath posted:

Oh that must be newer, early audible you could only call them to cancel, I chewed out that call center person.

Yeah, although their audiobook software probably dates from back then. Still, they're actually a good service and reasonably priced for picking up an occasional book if you manage to avoid accidentally leaving your account active.

Fhistleb
Dec 31, 2008

Tell me more about your sandwiches.

ZeusCannon posted:

I'll join you. My zune hd is a great little piece of hardware that just works. Microsoft should have stuck with it just a little longer. Ooooohhh wellllll.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

Microsoft used to do that with Xbox Live in Canada. They used the same website as the US version and Xbox interface but if you followed a guide to where the cancel sub button would be it just would be missing on the Canadian version.

Now they just did a promo where they had sub for $1 for Xbox Game Pass Beta (PC Only) and a couple months in did a sub for $1 Game Pass Ultimate (PC + Xbox) for 3 Months. Now that the 3 months is up you can't sub back down to the PC only.

chitoryu12 posted:

Planet Fitness is even worse. Your only two options for canceling your membership are to send a letter (a physical, mailed letter) or show up in person. There's absolutely nothing about the process that can't be done on a computer and it only takes a minute or two, but it feels like they're intentionally making it as uncomfortable as possible to discourage you.

The gym near my house requires you to write a letter AND give them 2 weeks notice.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Fried Watermelon posted:

The gym near my house requires you to write a letter AND give them 2 weeks notice.

2 weeks notice not to turn up somewhere? Wow.

Does the US have direct debits and such? If ever I want to cancel a subscription I just cancel the debit they're taking out of my account. gently caress 'em.

I think my last gym required some paperwork, it was easier to just cancel the debit on my phone instantly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fried Watermelon posted:

Let me guess: you can’t even use those last two weeks you’re paying for because they’ll cancel your cancelation if you “express interest” in continuing to use their services.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Fried Watermelon posted:

Why, so they can train up your replacement?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

2 weeks notice not to turn up somewhere? Wow.

Does the US have direct debits and such? If ever I want to cancel a subscription I just cancel the debit they're taking out of my account. gently caress 'em.

I think my last gym required some paperwork, it was easier to just cancel the debit on my phone instantly.

That doesn't always work. I've had a credit card open back up after a recurring fee (that I cancelled) tried to hit the card again. I had moved as well so I got no notices. Such bullshit.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

chitoryu12 posted:

I somehow managed to sign up without leaving any sort of billing info on file, so when I stopped going...that was that.

When Microsoft wouldn't let my Xbox Live account die, I assigned the autopay to a credit card that was about to expire and then ignored all of their emails about needing to update it :v:

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

LifeSunDeath posted:

Trusting this guy

with 15k for a coffee machine....well you get what you deserve...also portland was involved.

At least he seems to know the "Don't get high off your own supply" rule.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I despised the software, but loved the unit itself.

I just wanted something I could treat like a removable hard drive but play music on.

Thankfully, I can do all that now on my phone and not have to worry about poorly designed software interfaces.

Yeah except user interfaces.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Shai-Hulud posted:

Internet is tenuous right now so I can't do a whole lot of research, but there is definitely a thing called instant ink from HP and I could definitely see them slipping a subscription to it into paperwork to buy the printer or however printers are sold

chitoryu12 posted:

I had a similar thing at a different fitness place where they were only manned during the week, and only for the hours I was already at work, so when I noticed I was still being billed after I had checked the box for 'do not renew' they still wanted me to come in or send physical mail to cancel before they were even willing to check my paperwork to see whether I had ticked that box. Schade is on everyone who pays for anything on subscription

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 29, 2020

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
This is an older video but it's new to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF014EUJrSI

Elaborate James Corden prank on David Beckham with a fake (hideous) statue

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

chitoryu12 posted:

Or you can just not update your credit card when it expires. That's what I did.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Hey maybe antagonizing a bouncer twice your size is a poor choice

https://twitter.com/fabiangib/status/1222536670081355776?s=21

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Internet is tenuous right now so I can't do a whole lot of research, but there is definitely a thing called instant ink from HP and I could definitely see them slipping a subscription to it into paperwork to buy the printer or however printers are sold

There are 22 or so printers with Instant Ink as an optional service. There is one printer that requires the service though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

sweet geek swag posted:

Or you can just not update your credit card when it expires. That's what I did.

That's the fun part: they require you to provide bank details to sign up.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Faking my own death and getting a new identity to avoid the shame of waddling into a Planet Fitness and telling them I don't want to pay them to exercise anymore.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1222580146571567106

I honestly forgot these guys were still at it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I like how nerds these days consider sending a letter an inconvenience :hmbol:

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Paper letters are a really dumb way to do business hth.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Or they feel like it is a waste of paper, time, and postage?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Jerry Cotton posted:

Because it is, grandpa.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Creating a startup that prints typed text onto paper and sends a physical copy to the recipient. It's time to disrupt email.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Hello, I was just bought out by Google for $1.2 billion.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Hello, I was just bought out by Google for $1.2 billion.

It's cool, they'll kill your product in the next 12-24 months anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
we regret to inform you that google paper is cancelled