Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ingmar terdman posted:

Sheev is the only guy in the galaxy that is having a great time, all the time
One of the most striking things about Palpatine is how he's based on Richard Nixon. Now, Nixon was a bitter sad-sack who always felt downtrodden even as he accrued so much power that people called it the Imperial Presidency. Palpatine is having the time of his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

ruddiger posted:

Does Luke even know Rey’s heritage when he’s alive? I assumed he got the info once he died and Yoda or whoever told him.

He claims that he and Leia both knew. How they knew this aside, I don't know when they even would've had the chance to discuss this.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Maybe John and Jane Palpatine tried to drop their daughter off at Luke’s school only for him to turn them away.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

General Dog posted:

He claims that he and Leia both knew. How they knew this aside, I don't know when they even would've had the chance to discuss this.

You can probably hand wave it as Leia knowing from sensing it in the Force or something, and Luke finding out when he reconnected to the Force and contacted her, and maybe that was why he stormed straight over to Rey's hut to yell at her. But I dunno, why bother

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

General Dog posted:

Conversation between Rey and Luke should have gone:

Rey: Why didn't you tell me I was Palpatine's granddaughter?
Luke: I didn't think it was important. Does that information offer you fresh insight about yourself or alter the stakes of anything you have going on right now, like, at all?
Rey: Fair enough

Luke: Because your grandfather was a huge loser and basically a nobody until like two hours ago and you already thought your parents were nobody, so, you see, what I told you was true, from, a certain point of view.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Literally a wizard did it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Neo Rasa posted:

Luke: Because your grandfather was a huge loser and basically a nobody until like two hours ago and you already thought your parents were nobody, so, you see, what I told you was true, from, a certain point of view.

Luke: I'm sorry, it was a very late script change based on feedback from focus groups! They made me come back three months later to record these lines!

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Luke: I'm sorry, it was a very late script change based on feedback from focus groups! They made me come back three months later to record these lines!
its gonna come out soon that mark hamill did his rise of skywalker ADR on an iphone in an arbys bathroom the weekend before the film released

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Kylo killing Han?

Though I think that blockbusters, good or bad, are generally made for an audience that may not have seen or remember previous films.

Kylo killing Han is pretty much irrelevant in ROTS. Hell, it's irrelevant in TLJ. They don't talk about it and it certainly doesn't get in the way of ReyLo.

Kylo being shaken by Leia saying 'BEN' would probably seem weird if you didn't watch the previous movies. I can't remember if they mention their relationship.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Kylo killing Han is pretty much irrelevant in ROTS. Hell, it's irrelevant in TLJ. They don't talk about it and it certainly doesn't get in the way of ReyLo.

Kylo being shaken by Leia saying 'BEN' would probably seem weird if you didn't watch the previous movies. I can't remember if they mention their relationship.

Rey and Kylo talk about it in TLJ. And of course Kylo attempting to murder Leia is a reminder of that too

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Remember when Rey had force lightning and killed Chewbacca but then it turns out she didn’t and was never addressed again?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Jewmanji posted:

Rey and Kylo talk about it in TLJ. And of course Kylo attempting to murder Leia is a reminder of that too

I honestly don't remember this. When did they talk about it?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I honestly don't remember this. When did they talk about it?

In snokes throne room.

Also Kylo killing Han is a driving force for his character. He keeps trying to up his evil game after that

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
In their second Force Skype Rey asks why he killed Han and "let the past die" etc is his answer

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

edit nm

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

2house2fly posted:

In their second Force Skype Rey asks why he killed Han and "let the past die" etc is his answer

Which is a real non-answer in context btw

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

No it's not, he killed Han to sever his connection with his past and reach his full potential, unlike Rey who he thinks is handicapped by her abandonment issues

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

2house2fly posted:

No it's not, he killed Han to sever his connection with his past and reach his full potential, unlike Rey who he thinks is handicapped by her abandonment issues

To reach his full potential to do what? Kill his mom and uncle? There’s never a clear end game with this guy, despite the fact that he seems incredibly driven toward some opaque goal.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

General Dog posted:

To reach his full potential to do what?

Be pure evil

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
to be a fully realized and potent adult instead of manchild virgin

didnt work out too well for him

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

General Dog posted:

To reach his full potential to do what? Kill his mom and uncle? There’s never a clear end game with this guy, despite the fact that he seems incredibly driven toward some opaque goal.

Ben Solo’s goal is to “finish what Vader started” - which is unexplained in the Disney films but, in the context of Empire Strikes Back, means full communism.

He kills Han because Han is attempting to ‘seduce Ben to the light’, which is synonymous with moderate, centrist politics.

Ben reaches a low point after Rey explodes a bomb in his face, but then gets better after Rey kills Leia telepathically in one of her rage outbursts.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kylo Ren's goal is to finish what vader started which means have a son and have the son rule with him over the galaxy. Unfortunately he missed health class at uncle lukes school because it burned down.

Killing his father and letting his mother get him murdered is just him having a long oedipal moment that could have been resolved if anybody told him what they actually meant by "wear a helmet"

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Jewmanji posted:

He and Snoke talk about it in the first throne room scene as well.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/ikolism/status/1222513603087077381?s=20

This kids' book guide to episode 9 is driving me crazy, I need to see more of it

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Cat Machine posted:

its gonna come out soon that mark hamill did his rise of skywalker ADR on an iphone in an arbys bathroom the weekend before the film released

In case it hasn't already been posted, you're not far off.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

SMG please expand on Vader’s full communism thank you

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

2house2fly posted:

This kids' book guide to episode 9 is driving me crazy, I need to see more of it

Kylo likes red lightsabers and long walks on the beach.

I like how they have nothing to say about the knights of Ren. This guy has a club, this guys mask looks like a smile? This guy accidentally makes people more scared of him. Such menacing foes. :allears:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Kylo killing Han is pretty much irrelevant in ROTS.
It's important to the scene where Han forgives Kylo.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

“Mystery Box” is a fake meme. Disney did have a basic plan: the failure of the New Republic, an OT protagonist dying in each film, Darth Plagueis as a secret villain, Evil Rey, Stormtrooper rebellion, Redemption arc, etc.

All those things were there from the start, and remained all the way to the end.

The issue is not the lack of a plan but, rather, micromanagement based on focus-groups and test screenings. Rey rated .5 higher on ‘likeability’ so let’s quickly re-edit the entire first film so that she’s the protagonist.

This has a cascade effect: the rage-prone scuzzy woman who loves crime and terrified her parents into abandoning her is scrubbed of negative traits, so that she can be a better protagonist. Meanwhile, the stormtrooper rebellion is gradually whittled down to a single line of dialogue about offscreen events.

Was evil Rey there at the start? I know it becomes a big theme in TLJ but it seems pretty absent in TFA. I'm curious if there were any leaks from that time that point to a significantly different story. I know the editing of TFA is definitely weird in places which makes me think meddling, but to nowhere near the same degree as RoS.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

2house2fly posted:

“Man this looks neat, I’m not fixing it” - Kylo Ren

:lol:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Little Death posted:

Was evil Rey there at the start? I know it becomes a big theme in TLJ but it seems pretty absent in TFA. I'm curious if there were any leaks from that time that point to a significantly different story. I know the editing of TFA is definitely weird in places which makes me think meddling, but to nowhere near the same degree as RoS.

At the climax of TFA she uses the Dark Side to go beast mode and nearly kills Kylo

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

multijoe posted:

At the climax of TFA she uses the Dark Side to go beast mode and nearly kills Kylo
Couldn't Luke have used the Jedi equivalent of the Trolley Problem to justify killing Sheev without going Dark Side? "Yeah, I killed one Space Hitler to save countless lives and end tyranny*. Whatcha gonna do, turn my eyes yellow?"

*End of tyranny not guaranteed.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Ben Solo’s goal is to “finish what Vader started” - which is unexplained in the Disney films but, in the context of Empire Strikes Back, means full communism.
I still do not understand how "rule the galaxy as father and son" means communism. Was George Lucas a devotee of Juche Thought?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

I still do not understand how "rule the galaxy as father and son" means communism. Was George Lucas a devotee of Juche Thought?

I forget the details but it has something to do with Vader being a melding of droids(the exploited underclass), and man(the ruling class).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
So we don't need democracy because the leader embodies the nature and will of the people? That's a different, specific, ideology.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Basebf555 posted:

I forget the details but it has something to do with Vader being a melding of droids(the exploited underclass), and man(the ruling class).

Representation is important I guess.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

So we don't need democracy because the leader embodies the nature and will of the people? That's a different, specific, ideology.

I dunno, I'm not gonna be able to fully explain it, I'm just remembering bits and pieces from past SMG posts.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Basebf555 posted:

Obama was a communist because he's a melding of black people and rich people

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Iirc the bounty hunters scene is important; Vader willingly puts himself among the "scum" the Empire disdains and gets on noticeably better with Boba Fett than he does with his own admirals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

He also flies around in the imperial flagship the size of a small country in order to enforce the will of the Emperor.