Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

ErrEff posted:

I love how everything in this post indicates that the only way you could get info back in those days was via GAMESTOP™/GAME INFORMER™ (sold in all good GAMESTOP™ stores). No internet sites or forums, no newsgroups, no newsletters, no phone hotlines, no demo discs, no dedicated television shows, no friends and acquaintances, no other magazines... none of that existed, apparently.

Those blissful days of the PS2 era when we all lived in a black void that contained nothing but GameStop stores.

Yeah I mean you had multiple forums like gamefaqs, GameSpot, and something I think was called LUAE or something. Not to mention the multiple magazines that also were out, and I'm pretty sure even in 2001 I waited half a hour to watch Nintendo's e3 clips on their website for upcoming GameCube games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The dude probably did get all his information in 2001 by going into a gamestop and asking the employee to sell them on games.
The guy got sold the concept of Stadia, why do you think he makes informed decisions?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

In other hilarious Stadia news, the stadia community as a whole are organising what they call "Stadia Super Saturday" to happen just before the founders subscriptions start to lapse. A full day where they try to bombard every platform with positive Stadia vibes.

Imagine buying a product from the largest advertising company in the history of the world, and thinking to yourselves "Guys, we gotta get the word out".

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Khablam posted:

In other hilarious Stadia news, the stadia community as a whole are organising what they call "Stadia Super Saturday" to happen just before the founders subscriptions start to lapse. A full day where they try to bombard every platform with positive Stadia vibes.

Imagine buying a product from the largest advertising company in the history of the world, and thinking to yourselves "Guys, we gotta get the word out".

You know I've seen quite a few console releases, and even the biggest gently caress up of the last few decades (Xbox one the third) didn't seem to have this much.... Fan boy energy behind it. They were mostly actually playing the games that they had, plus defending themselves against trolls but they weren't doing this level of preaching or had that much self delusional thoughts.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Ineffiable posted:

You know I've seen quite a few console releases, and even the biggest gently caress up of the last few decades (Xbox one the third) didn't seem to have this much.... Fan boy energy behind it. They were mostly actually playing the games that they had, plus defending themselves against trolls but they weren't doing this level of preaching or had that much self delusional thoughts.

You know how they say some scammers make their schemes sound ridiculous on purpose, as a way of screening out anyone with skepticism and ensuring that only the highly credulous engage with the scam? The Stadia launch is kinda like that.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

neonchameleon posted:

It frankly amazes me that Stadia doesn't even have FIFA despite that being EA printing money to the point they make a build on an entirely separate engine for the Switch.

Oh poo poo I forgot about this:

Apparently EA's agreement with FIFA requires them to release at least one official FIFA game on every console, or at least every major one (e.g. I think they were able to avoid releasing one on Ouya). Now given Stadia's release timing, I think this is just something they have to consider for the next game (FIFA 21). If Stadia is somehow not dead by the time E3 rolls around, and it's not announced for Stadia, we'll probably actually get an official word from EA as to why they skipped the platform.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
It's worth noting ahead of time that this question is purely academic. Doom 64 doesn't exist on Stadia. Neither does Doom 2016. But the level of delusion here is just, well...

quote:

Doom 64 free with Doom Eternal?

https://twitter.com/DOOM/status/1222455478577500161?s=19

@DOOM have tweeted that Doom 64 is a free pre-order bonus with Doom Eternal. @BethesdaUK has answered questions regarding availability on consoles, but haven't said anything about Stadia.

It's a weird situation because there really is no need to pre-order on Stadia, but if bonuses get left out because we can't pre-order, there's gonna be some bad taste left in people's mouths.

It'd be great to get some level of confirmation from Google, or Bethesda, about whether or not this bonus is available to us.

Anyone got any ideas on where to find out? Or seen anything about it?

quote:

Of course it needs to be ported, but the question is, will it be ported to Stadia as a bonus for ordering/pre-ordering? It seems like something Google needs to sort out.

quote:

Maybe as someone else said, we get a different DOOM game? Maybe I just don't want to believe that Stadia won't be getting the same deal as other platforms.

The point of this post is to

Find out whether or not we get it as a bonus

Highlight that it's a negative for Stadia if they're unable to offer the same pre-order bonuses as all other platforms.

quote:

One theory is that they'll swap Doom 64 for Doom 2016 which would explain it's absence.

quote:

As I see it the only thing Google can do to reset the balance if there's no Doom 64 on Stadia, which is highly likely in my opinion, would be to pay Bethesda to make Doom 2016 as Pro game in March.

Seeing as Doom was the first game to be ported and was the used as a proof of concept both internally at Google (To get exec buy in for Stadia) and to get other Devs/Publishers on-board (Specifically Ubisoft), I'd say Google have already supported the Doom 2016 port financially.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Khablam posted:

Oh yes, 1 streamer on mixer, the rest on youtube.

Khablam posted:

To be honest it's the same things that used to happen on school grounds when people just told everyone how genesis did what nintendon't

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Khablam posted:

They know that google is going to shut down the service if they don't get a large enough user-base.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Sandweed posted:

They know that google is going to shut down the service if they don't get a large enough user-base.
What's the over-under on Google sending out any sort of "consolation" :dadjoke: prize if Stadia bites it? What do you think they'd send out? Steam keys? Refunds?

Based on the level of customer service people are complaining about on the reddit, it wouldn't surprise me if they just cut and run. I'm certain the EULA says "we don't owe anyone anything", just like most digital content platforms.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Tempura Wizard posted:

What's the over-under on Google sending out any sort of "consolation" :dadjoke: prize if Stadia bites it? What do you think they'd send out? Steam keys? Refunds?

Based on the level of customer service people are complaining about on the reddit, it wouldn't surprise me if they just cut and run. I'm certain the EULA says "we don't owe anyone anything", just like most digital content platforms.

the left over keys for AC: Odyssey

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

You send them out the remaining stock of the controller mount phone holders.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
You tell them about an amazing service they are offering called "local streaming." You store the game data locally and have it run on your own Google server specially designed for home use.

Your controller still communicates with it over wi-fi.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cemetry Gator posted:

You tell them about an amazing service they are offering called "local streaming." You store the game data locally and have it run on your own Google server specially designed for home use.

Your controller still communicates with it over wi-fi.

lol they already made the googlebox and promptly killed it

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Tempura Wizard posted:

You never paid for those games, you paid for the access to them on Google service, when the service is gone you can't access them anymore. Simple stuff.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

A toy tractor so you can play Farming Simulator in your yard.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sandweed posted:

You never paid for those games, you paid for the access to them on Google service, when the service is gone you can't access them anymore. Simple stuff.

Microsoft auto-refunded my P90X purchase when the Xbox Fitness with Kinect service was shut down like 2 years after I purchased it; every dollar spent on that ultimately failed service by the public was fully refunded, no questions asked, you didn't even have to ask them to do it unless you had to sort out some nuance with no longer having the same banking details or some such.

I'm sure MS would have loved to just point to the purchase agreement and cut and run, but it seems their legal team advised that that straight refunds would be simplest and least damaging to them.

If not that many Stadia users bought standalone games (which seems pretty likely, even I only bought one title for $20 and I'm the absolute worst with purchasing decisions) Google might just decide paying out for those purchases and taking the financial hit is still worth it overall.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The "Last Night I Did It" thread got nuked (the guy who sold all his consoles and then had a gigantic meltdown in the comments). Turns out even the mods have a limit for how zealous people can be.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ineffiable posted:

nobody was concerned their xbox was going to become a paperweight if enough people didn't buy in

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

PSA: Stadia breakout sensation Farming Simulator 19 is now free on the Epic Game Store, for those of you who wanted to try out 1/22nd of the Stadia library without having to pay for an overheating Chromecast and a wifi and bluetooth game controller that doesn't actually work over wifi or bluetooth much of the time.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

evilweasel posted:

nobody was concerned their xbox was going to become a paperweight if enough people didn't buy in

Actually, they very specifically were concerned about this in mid-2013.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

installing the epic game launcher is just as much fail as buying stadia though

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

univbee posted:

Microsoft auto-refunded my P90X purchase when the Xbox Fitness with Kinect service was shut down like 2 years after I purchased it; every dollar spent on that ultimately failed service by the public was fully refunded, no questions asked, you didn't even have to ask them to do it unless you had to sort out some nuance with no longer having the same banking details or some such.

I'm sure MS would have loved to just point to the purchase agreement and cut and run, but it seems their legal team advised that that straight refunds would be simplest and least damaging to them.

If not that many Stadia users bought standalone games (which seems pretty likely, even I only bought one title for $20 and I'm the absolute worst with purchasing decisions) Google might just decide paying out for those purchases and taking the financial hit is still worth it overall.

Microsoft also wanted to be in gaming, they weren't done yet and chose to take the hit for another go at it.

Googles CEO doesnt understand video games, has never played them, and seems like he was cutting stadia funding before it was even out. I think he'd be hard to convince that goodwill from gamers is worthwhile thing to spend any money on at all.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Stux posted:

Nah it's worth all the free games you get

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Sandweed posted:

I imagine this sentence uttered by a dadia minutes before Google announces the discontinuation of the project.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Nah it's worth all the free games you get

no it sucks the moon clean out of the sky and thats saying something when its competition is the pile of garbage known as steam

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

ErrEff posted:

The "Last Night I Did It" thread got nuked (the guy who sold all his consoles and then had a gigantic meltdown in the comments). Turns out even the mods have a limit for how zealous people can be.

Unlike on sa you can delete your threads on reddit.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Stux posted:

How else are you supposed to legally get untitled goose game on PC

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

limaCAT posted:

How else are you supposed to legally get untitled goose game on PC

i just wait? theres no rush lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Uhh out of the two options of "use the Epic store" and "wait" I think wait is clearly the crazy person suggestion here.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Your Gaming Storefront is a Piece Of poo poo

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
So on r/Stadia there was a question about who sets the prices of Stadia games and naturally everyone said "the publishers duh just like every other storefront" but... that is very likely not the case right? Stadia is not just like every other store front in that they're not selling you a game license, they're selling you access to their game license. It seems much more likely that Google is entirely in charge of setting the prices.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Stux posted:

no it sucks the moon clean out of the sky and thats saying something when its competition is the pile of garbage known as steam

:rolleyes:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Stux posted:

i just wait? theres no rush lol

:frogout: with this normie nonsense

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

leftist heap posted:

So on r/Stadia there was a question about who sets the prices of Stadia games and naturally everyone said "the publishers duh just like every other storefront" but... that is very likely not the case right? Stadia is not just like every other store front in that they're not selling you a game license, they're selling you access to their game license. It seems much more likely that Google is entirely in charge of setting the prices.

No, it would be the publishers. For all intents and purposes, you're buying the game license - just only on Stadia's framework as opposed to a copy you can download from Steam. I imagine that the delivery method doesn't matter.

Also, even if it worked the way you did, there still needs to be a transfer of money from Google to the publishers. Google isn't buying a large amount of licenses up front - it's only when you buy it that they can transfer it to you.

Plus, developers would not be happy with Google undercutting them or devaluing their games without working with them.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

univbee posted:

I bet it was their PR team not the legal team, and the biggest reason to do that was to keep goodwill in the gaming space. Similarly MS shut down their ebook service a year or so ago and refunded all money spent, because they don't want people to think that spending money on MS stores is risky.

Contrast the GFWL shutdown. They did that while they were still riding high on the 360 and were starting to make noises about PC gaming being unimportant and a relic. MS imagined they'd be the console winners forever, so they kinda just ignored the fallout from abandoning GFWL. Oops. (OTOH the idea of refunds wouldn't have worked since it wasn't just MS selling GFWL games.)

If google quits on stadia it's not like they have anything to protect. They'll go back to ignoring video games, the little studios they've bought will be scrapped or re-tasked to make demos for Daydream 2.0 or whatever other project some exec is excited about. Stadia won't shut down right away -- ongoing expenses are low -- but it will be the stinky project all the employees are trying to get away from. So there will be zero developer support and thus new games will stop being released.

It will quietly shut down in 1386 days and the reaction will be "Stadia was still running?".

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

leftist heap posted:

There is absolutely no way the publishers can unilaterally set the price, because

Sandweed posted:

You never paid for those games, you paid for the access to them on Google service,

you're paying in part for Google's service, and even Google isn't dumb enough to let a third-party set prices for a Google product/service for which Google incurs costs to run. My guess is either Google has unilateral ability to set the price (at specific revenue percentage splits with the publisher), or Google sets the price within minimums and maximums stipulated by the publisher.

e:

Cemetry Gator posted:

No, it would be the publishers. For all intents and purposes, you're buying the game license - just only on Stadia's framework as opposed to a copy you can download from Steam. I imagine that the delivery method doesn't matter.

This model doesn't work for Stadia *as currently described by Google*. Google's cost to run a game streaming service are orders of magnitude more than to run a digital distribution service, and more importantly, those costs are a function of play time, not sales. If Google's covering their sever costs through recurring subscription revenue (i.e., the Pro tier), then no problem, let the publishers set the purchase price since that's not where Google makes its money. But if Google's covering their server costs through the one-time initial sales revenue (i.e., the mythical Basic tier), then they'd be insane to let a publisher determine the price unilaterally.

Which, now that I think about it... Google trying to square this particular circle is yet another reason the "basic" tier doesn't make sense, hasn't shown up yet, and might never show up.

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 30, 2020

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

leftist heap posted:

My best guess is they're just doing what they usually do and letting the game publisher set the price (although they themselves could have their hand forced in other ways, like by shareholders) because no way would a dev have entertained the notion of releasing a game on Stadia otherwise.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

if it helps i refuse to use origin, uplay, bnet etc as well and i buy games on humble or itch.io 90% of the time to avoid paying valve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i only buy like two pc games a year but it's always on steam because that's where all my other poo poo is :shrug: