Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Nuts and Gum posted:

lmao thats great. So is it randomized everytime you load a save? I seem to get slightly different results from npc's when doing so.

I'm not sure, it seems that way, in the next area I died trying to deliver an object and when I loaded back in the amount of zombies in the area was significantly smaller. It seems to populate at least somewhat randomly. But it might also adjust difficulty based on failure? Zombies are way easier to take out than humans, though I've yet to keep anyone alive and finish a questline that wasn't over the radio, heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Amazon reckons they can achieve single-digit latency for streaming AR/VR over 5G AWS wavelengths. Sure, in a lab it'd work. In the real world on lovely ISP infrastructure? Not a chance.

Yeah there's just no way

Maybe if you're standing in the datacenter

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

mobby_6kl posted:

What are some games that can also be played by people that aren't wearing the headset, or that are at least fun to watch others play? Other than the bomb defusing one...
This weekend I'm going to a cabin in the mountains with some friends and as an alternative to constant drinking, I was thinking of taking the headset to let them try it out. Obviously there's only one so it has to be fun for others too somehow or it's gonna suck.
With the caveat that I haven't tried it yet, Panoptic looks like it could be good fun.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I played Audica when it released and it was very mediocre. It did literally nothing to not warn you about off-screen notes (the problem which Pistol Whip solved absolutely perfectly) and also aiming two guns straight forward got really tiring on my arms really quickly in the way Expert+ songs in Beat Saber never did. There's a good reason for why Pistol Whip focuses on one gun.

TACD posted:

With the caveat that I haven't tried it yet, Panoptic looks like it could be good fun.

Panoptic is fun and it also works perfectly fine via Steam Remote Play, so you can play it online with your VR-non-having friends.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah there's just no way

Maybe if you're standing in the datacenter

That ultra mega high frequency stuff also has no ability to penetrate. Things with a high concentration of water (like trees) significantly block the signal

The thing you don’t see in the ads is 5G is a LINE OF SIGHT millimeter wave technology. Basically treat it like audible sound waves. It will have dead spots anytime something gets between you and the tower

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 29, 2020

marumaru
May 20, 2013

caldrax posted:

I'm not sure, it seems that way, in the next area I died trying to deliver an object and when I loaded back in the amount of zombies in the area was significantly smaller. It seems to populate at least somewhat randomly. But it might also adjust difficulty based on failure? Zombies are way easier to take out than humans, though I've yet to keep anyone alive and finish a questline that wasn't over the radio, heh.

the game doesn't explain much or make it easy for you to find out about it organically, but i think there is a daily rotation of zombo spawnrates and loot, though i've been less than successful in figuring out just how the heck it works. the loading screen tip told me to tune into a frequency in the morning but all i get there is a guy constantly asking me if i'm there

e: i literally didn't even know there was a main quest indicator until yesterday, and i only found out because i accidentally grabbed the notebook and remembered it existed.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Jack Trades posted:

I played Audica when it released and it was very mediocre. It did literally nothing to not warn you about off-screen notes (the problem which Pistol Whip solved absolutely perfectly)

Notes go in a flow and are positioned so that you should see the logical progression if your vision is pointed at where the last notes you shot were. Also the incoming notes have a large halo around them.

quote:

and also aiming two guns straight forward got really tiring on my arms really quickly in the way Expert+ songs in Beat Saber never did.

Sorry you have weak arms? I can play for hours straight no problem.

quote:

There's a good reason for why Pistol Whip focuses on one gun.

Pistol Whip isn't a real rhythm game and also would be even cooler with 2 guns and different colored enemies.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

rage-saq posted:

If you haven’t noticed the tracking deficiencies with 2x LH1 they may not be important aspects for you. If you have this is how you fix it.
Did the third LH fix that glitch you found a while ago when spinning in the play space?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Chin Strap posted:

Notes go in a flow and are positioned so that you should see the logical progression if your vision is pointed at where the last notes you shot were. Also the incoming notes have a large halo around them.

Sorry you have weak arms? I can play for hours straight no problem.

Pistol Whip isn't a real rhythm game and also would be even cooler with 2 guns and different colored enemies.

:jerkbag:

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Chin Strap posted:

Indeed. If there was only a way to play with 2 guns, that would be an awesome modifier.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I presume the "different colored enemies" part implied color coded guns, too.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Combat Pretzel posted:

I presume the "different colored enemies" part implied color coded guns, too.

Yes. We were talking about comparing it with Audica here.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

I dunno his weak arms comment was pretty good :v:

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Chin Strap posted:

Yes. We were talking about comparing it with Audica here.

My bad.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

dogstile posted:

I dunno his weak arms comment was pretty good :v:

Do you also have a friend at Harmonix?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jack Trades posted:

Do you also have a friend at Harmonix?

No, my friend is called Jim, with a G.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

dogstile posted:

No, my friend is called Jim, with a G.

Its me, Gim Gilly-Galls

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 29, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

RabbitWizard posted:

Indeed. If there was only a way to play with 2 guns, that would be an awesome modifier.

I can't tell if you're mocking him but I'll bite anyways

Dual wield is possible in pistol Whip, it's in the modifiers section like dead eye and hardcore

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Combat Pretzel posted:

Did the third LH fix that glitch you found a while ago when spinning in the play space?

That wasn’t the cause but more lighthouses still improve accuracy by reducing occlusion related precision loss. I’ll be getting a fourth one once I’m done upgrading my video gear for the studio.
Regarding the bug Valve made some code improvements that fixed most situations but if you use the low latency input mechanism in your game you still have the same issue.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jenny Agutter posted:

That sounds cool but the boat/puzzle part sounds like it was lifted wholesale from Cryostasis. Any idea if it works with revive?

I’ve never really played Cryostasis so I don’t know, but pulling it up on Google, it looks a lot different. Cryo looks more survival horror-ish? In Under Presents you have the whole boat section in three acts plus an epilogue and you can rewind and fast forward time as much as you want within any act. You also can pull out to like a boat diorama that you can cross section to see where characters are at any given time. I’m actually done with the boat part now, aside from occasionally dipping in to follow a character around and hear some dialogue I missed, but I’m still enjoying screwing around in the Under world outside the boat and finding new secrets.

Here’s the trailer, maybe it will give you more of an idea: https://youtu.be/DMblh9_El6c

No idea about revive, sorry, I’m on Rift. I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work - controls are fairly simple.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 29, 2020

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I've only played a little of the first act in The Under Presents, the gameplay in the mystery boat portion reminds me most of Tacoma. Progress and rewind time to follow multiple threads as the story unfolds. I've not encountered any way to actually interact with the story yet.

If the game was just the Time Boat I would be happy with my purchase.

But its not and after I finished the first act I was taught magic by a group of ghosts then we tried to help a woman with a Cat head make up with a very big crab. This game is amazing, I'm glad I gave it a go while they're still doing these weird little quests with live actors.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
My son’s Occulus Quest arrives today, you fuckers better be right about this gizmo being the recommended one, cuz to get it shipped out here it cost me $175 in just shipping. Dear god please don’t let this thing be faulty or need to be returned :argh:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

When I bought mine at launch, Amazon sent me two of them by mistake

:smug:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Slayerjerman posted:

My son’s Occulus Quest arrives today, you fuckers better be right about this gizmo being the recommended one, cuz to get it shipped out here it cost me $175 in just shipping. Dear god please don’t let this thing be faulty or need to be returned :argh:

That's some steep shipping. They have to send it in a rocket ship?

Sorry about your house on Ganymede or whatever, but it rules and your son is gonna have a good time, on the Jovian moon you live on.

SCheeseman posted:

When I bought mine at launch, Amazon sent me two of them by mistake

:smug:

drat that's some serious bank error in your favor fortune.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Owlbear Camus posted:

drat that's some serious bank error in your favor fortune.

It happened to a few people. The packaging Oculus appears to ship to Amazon or whatever come in pairs of two, seems they occasionally forget to split them. They sent me an email, but it was worded in such a way that allowed me to ignore it and not respond (which was weird!) so I chose that option and I haven't heard from them since.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

SCheeseman posted:

It happened to a few people. The packaging Oculus appears to ship to Amazon or whatever come in pairs of two, seems they occasionally forget to split them. They sent me an email, but it was worded in such a way that allowed me to ignore it and not respond (which was weird!) so I chose that option and I haven't heard from them since.

*wrings hands* boy it sure would be nice if you didn't try to get one over on us, a giant exploitative company that runs our picking and packing operation like a death march. Would you see it in your heart to send back the awesome consumer gizmo we accidentally sent you instead of gifting it to a friend, flipping it, or keeping it for sweet local multiplayer? You can keep it if you want, we won't do anything about it... but could you live with yourself?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

If they had given any resistance to me keeping it I would have sent it back. I try to be honest and fair, but I have no love for either Facebook or Amazon and it turns out playing Eleven Table Tennis with another person locally is absolutely awesome so :shrug:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I've gotten accidental duplicates from Amazon a handful of times, but for me its always something like loving cat food and not a goddamn HMD you lucky duck!

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

SCheeseman posted:

I've had it happen a few times, sadly on small items but after contacting support in chat they basically said, "we'll send you a return label, and return it if you can. But please only return it if this doesbt put you out."

But basically kept stressing like 3 other times to only return it if it it was only convenient.

Got a free Labo kit out of one of them.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I keep getting my rear end handed to me trying to get to the tower in walking dead. ai humans are good shots.

I just noticed there's a loving House of the Dead VR game in the Oculus store?! Last time I bought this game it was on Wii and the motion controller made it so loving great. I guess I have to get it.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

Nuts and Gum posted:

I keep getting my rear end handed to me trying to get to the tower in walking dead. ai humans are good shots.

I just noticed there's a loving House of the Dead VR game in the Oculus store?! Last time I bought this game it was on Wii and the motion controller made it so loving great. I guess I have to get it.

What?? Which game is it?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Slayerjerman posted:

God drat it'll probably be fun as hell playing Echo Arena on-board the ISS.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Nuts and Gum posted:

they're also cheats, they can shoot you through walls / cover, which is lame

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Nuts and Gum posted:

What? No there isn't. Did you see "Drop Dead"? Cuz I think that's an older "Stand in a room and shoot zombies who come out of doors all around you" game.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Trip report - Day 1.

Firstly I haven't touched a VR device since the very first Occulus DK1, so I have a very bad taste (sight?) from that experience. The screen door effect on that POS was crazy bad and the resolution was pathetic as was the 3DOF tracking and controls. But this was like loving forever ago... Fast forward to today: I am really blown away how much VR has come on the Quest, I never used a Vive or anything else since that janky rear end DK1, so I am easily impressed.

The screendoor is so much improved and was my main concern coming from the old experience, but its not perfect yet, another generation or two and we might be there for the low-end of us. I wish I had access to an Index to see the quality difference, but Im pretty happy so far. The interactive elements, controls and tracking are really drat good on this thing IMO. The audio quality is good too and that's coming from me after being used to $350 Bose QCII headphones... I find the Quest-specific games to be plenty good in terms of quality, i'd compare it with X360 or PS3 graphics at 720p generally, which is impressive for the hardware this thing is using. Im waiting for the long rear end USB-C cable to get here so I can try some PCVR poo poo, but so far its been a good experience and I dont get very motion sick at all which made me very happy. I do dislike the weight of this thing on my face/cheeks but it does fit perfect over my glasses so thats a plus. I can play for about 20+mins before my neck starts to ache though, sitting or standing.

But I am confused.... should I wait to buy games through Steam, Occulus Rift store or the Quest store? Why is this complicated?!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

on my Rift S i really can't complain about screendoor. it's no DK2/Vive.
i only notice the chunky pixels, really, which granted are pretty annoying

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Slayerjerman posted:

I do dislike the weight of this thing on my face/cheeks but it does fit perfect over my glasses so thats a plus. I can play for about 20+mins before my neck starts to ache though, sitting or standing.

But I am confused.... should I wait to buy games through Steam, Occulus Rift store or the Quest store? Why is this complicated?!

Get an Anker PD 10k Powerbank or equivalent and strap it to the back of your headset with Velcro and 90% of your face/checks issues are going to disappear (also make sure the backstrap is quite low on the back of your head). It will also extend your Quest battery lifespan by about 100%, depending on the game you're playing (mostly needed if you are traveling or doing a "show the Quest to friends and family" long session).

Storefront: if you care about crossbuy between Quest and Rift (aka: buy for one platform, get the same game for free on the other) you should check this list: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/wiki/crossbuy. Note that games may get crossbuy later on, so I would only buy on Steam if a game is unavailable on the Oculus store.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 30, 2020

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I have never needed an extra battery for the Quest. Most of my usage is under 45-60 min.

The only time it would be useful is when you are at a family event and having multiple people use it. But even in that situation, it's nice to have the "well we gotta stop using it and let it charge" excuse to give it a break and move onto something else.

I think the 2nd and 3rd generation hardware will play to longer usage time because the units will be lighter, fit better, faster cpu/gpu for better frame rates, and even better optics.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

moolchaba posted:

I have never needed an extra battery for the Quest. Most of my usage is under 45-60 min.

The only time it would be useful is when you are at a family event and having multiple people use it. But even in that situation, it's nice to have the "well we gotta stop using it and let it charge" excuse to give it a break and move onto something else.

I think the 2nd and 3rd generation hardware will play to longer usage time because the units will be lighter, fit better, faster cpu/gpu for better frame rates, and even better optics.

I think the main reason for the battery is counter weight, the extended life is a plus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Lockback posted:

What? No there isn't. Did you see "Drop Dead"? Cuz I think that's an older "Stand in a room and shoot zombies who come out of doors all around you" game.

That’s the one. drat, I thought it was a direct port based on the trailer. They completely ripped off the old HoTD grindhouse thing :/