Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Just let me auto-sort by cost/type/rarity. I'll yeet the ones I don't like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Kin posted:

Well, it seems with just a little bit of extra leveling in the advanced training has given me enough stats to at least idle in BDW now.

My boss drop rate is just 0.9% though, so I guess the question is whether I sit in the ITPOD all day for perk points or in BDW with my energy all in the NGU drop rate, slowly ticking it up.

Like it's there a general rule of thumb to not bother idling a zone for gear unless the drop rate is above 10% from bosses or something?

The stat boost is immense and well worth fishing for, so if you can idle the zone a little bit or have the time to manually farm bosses, you can always try and chance it. Make sure to use the Lucky Charm for this.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

something posted:

you can grab a card by starting a drag, then either use the arrow keys or 1-9 keys to move to another page, then release on the target spot on the new page and it works just fine. I can also add something like in the inventory where hovering over the page buttons will also change the page, mid drag-and-drop.

Thanks. I only tried dragging over the page number because that is how the inventory works.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
IDK why it took me so long to get into Realm Grinder (I think I thought it was more of an RPG thing for some reason?) but it's pretty great. Any tips for things that aren't obvious at first? Is there a reason not to dump Faction Coins into Royal Exchange once I've got all the heritages bought on a given run, aside from one-offs like unlocking Titans?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
You'll want to follow to Realm Grinder Wiki beceause no matter how well you think you're doing, you're missing at least a dozen essential permanent upgrades because this game is way too nebulous for its own sake.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm keeping to its general recommendations (gonna advance more slowly than the guide would have me but being sure to pick up everything it points out that I would've missed), I just want to know if I can feel free to dump my excess FC if I'm out of stuff to buy with a given FC on a particular abdication.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Pope Guilty posted:

IDK why it took me so long to get into Realm Grinder (I think I thought it was more of an RPG thing for some reason?) but it's pretty great. Any tips for things that aren't obvious at first? Is there a reason not to dump Faction Coins into Royal Exchange once I've got all the heritages bought on a given run, aside from one-offs like unlocking Titans?

I still go back to Realm Grinder periodically, but it's one of those games that requires using a guide. This site is excellent: http://musicfamily.org/realm

It's also very tedious at points. There are a few big content walls that require multi-day (or week) grinds to unlock things that are required to progress, and by the late game most builds require running buff builds first to build up various things that provide bonuses in subsequent runs. And the abdictate cycle sometimes happens very quickly (like, 5 minutes or less at the start of a new reincarnation), which means to make meaningful progress you're clicking through the same things over and over again very rapidly.

The developers are also really bad about finding something that they think is overpowered, but is absolutely essential for progress past a certain point, and just changing it so that anyone who didn't take advantage of is screwed. The rich get richer, etc.

It's still fun occasionally, but I like complaining. I'm also literally years ahead of you, at Reincarnation 190 or something absurd like that, so don't let my bitching get in the way of enjoying the game.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm keeping to its general recommendations (gonna advance more slowly than the guide would have me but being sure to pick up everything it points out that I would've missed), I just want to know if I can feel free to dump my excess FC if I'm out of stuff to buy with a given FC on a particular abdication.

You can freely dump them unless you have upgrades that need 1 million coins to unlock something, like you said.
After I got Bloodlines, I turned on "max buy all exchanges" which lets your buy all button automatically buy all REs.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Pope Guilty posted:

Yep, dumping FC into exchanges is fine.

(unless they added something since I quit at R38 when they redesigned the graphics years ago)

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Oh and I forgot to mention, there's this http://musicfamily.org/realm/A0_Plot.png that shows important "milestone" upgrades quite succinctly without having to read a guide. It's stupid that some upgrades are locked behind "oh you can excavate for this now with the right faction" and if you don't know that you miss out on a straight 25,000% increase or something.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
NGU: It seems like some of the PP/QP costs could use rebalancing in the context of cards. Or some cards need to be nerfed slightly to bring them in line with how much equivalent QP/PP buys cost.

Like, since cards launched, they've given me a 172% wish speed bonus. That's in maybe 2-3 weeks.

Meanwhile, there's a perk with 100 levels that gives a 10% bonus to wish speed when maxed, at a cost of 80 million PP. And there's another tier after that that's even more expensive, 300 million PP to max. Meanwhile, even end-game players are getting 4? million PP per day, so we're looking at weeks and months to get a comparatively small bonus. It's not worth the investment.

Of course, cards are rapidly accelerating the amount of PP/QP earned per day, so maybe those perks will be reasonably-priced soon.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 1, 2020

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

NGU: It seems like some of the PP/QP costs could use rebalancing in the context of cards. Or some cards need to be nerfed slightly to bring them in line with how much equivalent QP/PP buys cost.

Like, since cards launched, they've given me a 172% wish speed bonus. That's in maybe 2-3 weeks.

Meanwhile, there's a perk with 100 levels that gives a 10% bonus to wish speed when maxed, at a cost of 80 million PP. And there's another tier after that that's even more expensive, 300 million PP to max. Meanwhile, even end-game players are getting 4? million PP per day, so we're looking at weeks and months to get a comparatively small bonus. It's not worth the investment.

Of course, cards are rapidly accelerating the amount of PP/QP earned per day, so maybe those perks will be reasonably-priced soon.

Things are typically multiplicative, right? So that perk might be 10% but that also stacks with those card bonuses making them more valuable. The value of the perk isn't diminished by the cards giving such a large bonus, it's enhanced.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Things are typically multiplicative, right? So that perk might be 10% but that also stacks with those card bonuses making them more valuable. The value of the perk isn't diminished by the cards giving such a large bonus, it's enhanced.

It's more like, the value of a really rare bonus stat is psychologically diminished when you get a huge bonus to it from something else.

If my boss gave me a 200% raise, I'm not as excited about my 10% raise the next quarter, even though my previous raise means the 10% raise is 3x more absolute dollars than it would have been.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

SynthesisAlpha posted:

It's the time/reward ratio more than anything else. Cards come in fairly frequently and have big bonuses, and I haven't really found myself mayo-constrained yet. PP trickles in much more slowly, so 800k PP that takes a half day to accumulate for a .1% bonus isn't worth it, even if it's a multiplicative bonus.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

It's the time/reward ratio more than anything else. Cards come in fairly frequently and have big bonuses, and I haven't really found myself mayo-constrained yet. PP trickles in much more slowly, so 800k PP that takes a half day to accumulate for a .1% bonus isn't worth it, even if it's a multiplicative bonus.

Eventually your cards will be much higher values. If you have 1,000% adventure stats another 1% adventure stats from a card is the same as a 0.1% global increase from a perk, as it keeps going beyond this well.

Don't forget you need the mayo to cast the card as well. Not all features are equal think of how powerful NGUs and hacks are.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I've got a nice slow grind on BDW gear now, but i also just managed to get the walderp set to max.

I can see that the BDW set has some chunky stat increases over this set already, though it looks a bit weaker in the energy/magic bonuses at the minute (my BDW set is only really at about level 10 so far).

Even though it's got big upticks in adventure stats, should i generally hold off equipping any of it until it also improves my energy/magic levels?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Kin posted:

I've got a nice slow grind on BDW gear now, but i also just managed to get the walderp set to max.

I can see that the BDW set has some chunky stat increases over this set already, though it looks a bit weaker in the energy/magic bonuses at the minute (my BDW set is only really at about level 10 so far).

Even though it's got big upticks in adventure stats, should i generally hold off equipping any of it until it also improves my energy/magic levels?

I generally just bite the bullet and equip the new equipment that helps my power/toughness significantly more.

Make sure to save stuff that has the best E/M cap for each slot, in case you want to stretch to unlock auto-plant for a Yggdrasil that's currently out of your reach

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Is resource assigning to NGUs bugged in sadistic?

I notice that whenever i hit "CAP" it only assigns an amount that is a factor of 9e18 (e.g. the hardcap) but if i manually assign more the NGU training speed visibly increases.
I have 8,8e18 energy cap and 5,6 magic cap and no matter which NGU i "CAP" it will only assign 4,5e18 energy or 3e18 magic.
Whats going on here?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Ineptitude posted:

I notice that whenever i hit "CAP" it only assigns an amount that is a factor of 9e18 (e.g. the hardcap) but if i manually assign more the NGU training speed visibly increases.
I have 8,8e18 energy cap and 5,6 magic cap and no matter which NGU i "CAP" it will only assign 4,5e18 energy or 3e18 magic.
Whats going on here?

I’ve noticed the same thing, for what it’s worth. And it only seems to affect Energy NGU in my experience, Magic NGUs seem to assign correctly.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ineptitude posted:

Whats going on here?

That's how floating point works, you have so many places values, and you are shifting more and more in front of the decimal instead of after.

It happens in any idle game when you near the extreme end, it's why many idle games add extra resets at this point, which are lame and feel forced.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

pixaal posted:

That's how floating point works, you have so many places values, and you are shifting more and more in front of the decimal instead of after.

It happens in any idle game when you near the extreme end, it's why many idle games add extra resets at this point, which are lame and feel forced.

Should make that part of the lore as The Traitor messing with you imo

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Proposal for a new challenge: 100 levels...for the whole challenge instead of per rebirth.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

pixaal posted:

That's how floating point works

I have no idea what any of this means or how it is an answer to what i asked.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
"when numbers go up a lot, the numbers of numbers go up, and at some point, the computer is all like ack there are too many numbers in that number."

shs
Feb 14, 2012
when Number gets really big and bloated, his keys, wallet and food get lost in his rolls of fat, and this makes him cranky

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ineptitude posted:

It's how computers store large numbers. It is using all the allocated bytes to say "this number has 18 decimal places" so the actual number it can store is 1 though 9 which means it cannot be 8.9 it must be some number 1-9, as you free up another bit by representing a smaller number you can say it's 8.92398 with 10 decimal places, or 89,239,800,000.

Remember the computer has to represent it as 1s and 0s.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ineptitude posted:

Whats going on here?

i notice this issue with wandows early in a rebirth before i unlock adv training. hitting the cap button assigns zero to wandows even if i have enough to assign a good amount to it. so i have to manually assign e/m to wandows to get early levels.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Ineptitude posted:

pixaal posted:

It's how computers store large numbers. It is using all the allocated bytes to say "this number has 18 decimal places" so the actual number it can store is 1 though 9 which means it cannot be 8.9 it must be some number 1-9, as you free up another bit by representing a smaller number you can say it's 8.92398 with 10 decimal places, or 89,239,800,000.

If you really want to delve into this, then welcome to the magical world of IEEE floating point numbers and variable-precision mathematics in general.

This kind of thing is why increasing numbers of systems that work with money no longer use floats at all, but represent monetary values as integer amounts of millicents. Though there are other solutions, like bignum libraries.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I play kittens game on my iPhone, are there any other idle phone games you guys recommend?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Adventure Communist

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Just banged out the No Augs challenges in NGU. It felt kind of weird doing it five times when it doesn't change at all between runs.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Just banged out the No Augs challenges in NGU. It felt kind of weird doing it five times when it doesn't change at all between runs.

Getting it reduced to only five runs is one of this thread's finest moments.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Jabor posted:

Reducing the number of challenge runs was for the best. It took forever to get through the challenges as they are right now, I can't imagine how tedious it was before that.

Clockwork Beast!
Jan 18, 2007

Clockwork beast! Clockwork beast! We're doomed!

please knock Mom! posted:

I play kittens game on my iPhone, are there any other idle phone games you guys recommend?

Idle Skilling

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jabor posted:

It was what, 25 runs before? That’s insane. As it was it took me a day and a half of grinding it out to get through 5.

What other challenges give good benefits? I have No Augs and Basic completed, and I’ve done the first 24 hour one.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Samuringa posted:

Adventure Communist

These are the two I currently have installed on my phone.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Cool, thanks. I like the kittens game 'cause it's a cool mix of active and passive play.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It was what, 25 runs before? That’s insane. As it was it took me a day and a half of grinding it out to get through 5.

What other challenges give good benefits? I have No Augs and Basic completed, and I’ve done the first 24 hour one.

Troll challenge is probably the most impactful, but be aware that you need to run it actively with 3 minute rebirths to get anywhere. If you're not confident you can hit the target boss doing that hold off until later.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Troll challenge is probably the most impactful, but be aware that you need to run it actively with 3 minute rebirths to get anywhere. If you're not confident you can hit the target boss doing that hold off until later.

This is an exaggeration, you can get them done fine with 15-min or 30-min rebirths if you don't mind working for a few hours. And unlocking 24-level yggdrasil fruits is GREAT much earlier than when you'd be able to do that troll challenge with 3-min rebirths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This looks neat but I really wish there was a portrait mode :(