Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Raccooon posted:

But doesn't that only apply to the UK and the other EU countries?

From a non-EU country's perspective, the UK isn't in the EU anymore and those trade agreements no longer apply.

Don't see what is stopping the US from just saying the UK no longer has a trade deal with them effective immediately.

UK is part of the common market. US trades with the common market, not the UK.

e: I dunno what happens if the UK breaks its own laws. What happens if Florida ignores federal laws? A court case, then financial penalties?

GABA ghoul has issued a correction as of 23:49 on Jan 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

oliwan posted:

the welsh? I don't know

p sure wales was one of the major voters for brexit? could be completely wrong though

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

GABA ghoul posted:

e: I dunno what happens if the UK breaks its own laws. What happens if Florida ignores federal laws? A court case, then financial penalties?

criminal penalties if the courts uphold and you refuse to enforce, in theory. in reality threat of governor impeachment which fails and no consequences whatsoever lmao

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

if I could vote to destroy the UK then leave, I would too tbh

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

GABA ghoul posted:

UK leaves the EU tomorrow but stays in the common market until the end of the year?

Was thinking this was more like a gentleman's agreement that the EU would pretend the UK was still a member for 11 more months to do trade negotiations.

Raccooon has issued a correction as of 00:13 on Jan 31, 2020

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Raccooon posted:

So UK leaves the EU tomorrow but stays in the common market until the end of the year?

Was thinking this was more like a gentleman's agreement that the EU would pretend the UK was still a member for 11 more months to do trade negotiations.

It's all legally solid. The reason the Brexit negotiations went so fast was that Britain committed to staying legally aligned with the EU for the duration of the transition period. Nothing changes for them except that they lose their political representation.

e: also their contributions to the EU budget changed. I think they ended up paying more now for the year 2020? Can't remember for sure.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Bing Bong the Brits are Dead.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

GABA ghoul posted:

Nothing changes for them except that they lose their political representation.

Well, it’ll give the Daily Mail something else to complain about.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

gently caress me this article is just, gently caress.

BBC News - What ancient Rome may teach on post-Brexit tourism

And it's actually serious too.

Would you be surprised to learn that the Romans were also seen as xenophobic at times and yet the wealthy still engaged in vacationing?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Happy Lexit day!

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
aww yeah pass the chicken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XaS93WMRQQ

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

im permabanned poster eurostomper58. i first started reading the daily mail when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "brexit" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "brexit MEANS brexit" and "bung a bob for big ben's brexit bongs" inside my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things out of the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "tory" style of british politics was all about; i think it's the subconscious leaking into the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenia and schizotypal symptoms. i would advise all people who "get" brexit to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to mental illness. peace.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

*slowly waking up from a coma like thirty days later* What’s.... what does Brexit mean?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

poisonpill posted:

*slowly waking up from a coma like thirty days later* What’s.... what does Brexit mean?

The Brexit is a whole country spending three and a half years pissing into a giant cup. And today, they drink.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Welp time to start listening to James O'Brien again tomorrow :allears:

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Brexit!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Today's the day we find out what brexit means

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

brexit

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Does the UK feel different now?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
it's early because time zones but i'm all ready for our second brexit party

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Labour will never win another election. Have a great morning.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

nobody posted dawn of the final day 24 hours remain

what a shame

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

assuming this is hella projection, as it always is

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Raccooon posted:

But doesn't that only apply to the UK and the other EU countries?

From a non-EU country's perspective, the UK isn't in the EU anymore and those trade agreements no longer apply.

Don't see what is stopping the US from just saying the UK no longer has a trade deal with them effective immediately.

No. The UK is still part of all EU trade agreements for another year.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

poisonpill posted:

Doctor: "it means Brexit"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRIdtMlqwNA
they did a vidya

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

MikeCrotch posted:

Doctor: "it means Brexit"

Sad clown: But Doctor I am Boris Johnson.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its not even been a day lol

https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2020-01-31-new-argentine-government-will-step-up-demands-to-uk-over-falklands-says-top-official/

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Brexit means Irish and Scottish Independence.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Morter posted:

Welp time to start listening to James O'Brien again tomorrow :allears:

There is never a good time to admit to this!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
(edited)

https://twitter.com/misszing/status/1223181452159963136

Be safe, everybody. :ohdear:

prefect has issued a correction as of 10:51 on Jan 31, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Please don't post brown Moses in cspam

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jose posted:

Please don't post brown Moses in cspam

Oh, sorry. I didn't know?

Edited post.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

prefect posted:

Edited post.

he's a loving ex goon turned cop, do not trust a thing he says

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

when does the brexit/anti brexit reaction occur, and will it power a warp drive or just blow up?

e: Jesus, BM is a cop now? I thought he just ran a news thing of dubious quality

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Goa Tse-tung posted:

he's a loving ex goon turned cop, do not trust a thing he says

Unfair to cops.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

prefect posted:

Edited post.

how dare u

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Grape posted:

Bing Bong the Brits are Dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Going on vacation in your own country is a cool and good thing and definitely should be done more often, but not for the Tory reasons.