Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
GBA game Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Whipping dudes with stolen chains from atop your brutal dirtbike in Road Rash.

The NES game River City Ransom is a two-player freeform brawler with rpgs elements. You can choose what directions you want to go, beat up dudes for money, and then spend it at shops for things like tea or pancakes that raise mysterious stats like max willpower, agility, and stamina. You can also pick up all kinds of environmental objects like garbage cans, bats, and baseballs. When I played through it when I was young with a friend, we'd sometimes go to a specific backalley behind a store and set up a bunch of garbage cans as bases, and find a baseball bat and ball. Then we'd have one player take the mound and throw the ball at the batter, and he'd try to hit it. Typically you'd miss the timing and get smashed across the level by a baseball and then storm the mound in retaliation, it was pretty fun.

You can also progress normally and have efficient combos like picking up enemies and throwing them into doom holes, or finding big metal chains and whipping dudes to death.

Also in Banjo-Kazooie, Clanker, a giant metal shark designed to eat garbage and given sentience for some reason, is chained to the bottom of his eponymous clankers cavern. You must dive deep down to the bottom of his chain and unwind the key the holds the lock, and his giant chain is loosened and he can float to the surface under his own tiny bit of agency. This is one of the few good things that happen to clanker in his entire life and he gratefully rewards you with gold.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Ocarina of Time has some decent sized chains you can walk up on the Hyrule Castle Town drawbridge

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Pandora's Tower has huge chains that connect each of the floating dungeons to the land, keeping a massive chasm called the Scar from growing. To get to each stage, you climb the huge chains.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Morpheus posted:

Pandora's Tower has huge chains that connect each of the floating dungeons to the land, keeping a massive chasm called the Scar from growing. To get to each stage, you climb the huge chains.

Pandora's Tower also has the greatest Bad Ending in history.

Basically the main character has sworn to Elena that he will protect her forever. What he means by that is of course that he'll save her from the curse, but if too much time passes, he fails to do that, and she permanently transforms into her full demon form. But he has sworn loyalty to her regardless of what happens, so she tears open the Scar, releasing monsters into the entire world and taking over completely, and the main character sticks with her as her loyal knight as she plunges the world into a new darkness.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

BioEnchanted posted:

Basically the main character has sworn to Elena that he will protect her forever. What he means by that is of course that he'll save her from the curse, but if too much time passes, he fails to do that, and she permanently transforms into her full demon form. But he has sworn loyalty to her regardless of what happens, so she tears open the Scar, releasing monsters into the entire world and taking over completely, and the main character sticks with her as her loyal knight as she plunges the world into a new darkness.

Talk about sticking by your word. I like that.

Oh, uh, I guess in light of the present conversation I should say something like "Wow! She sounds like a real ball and chain! Am I right?"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

what? no. there are a handful of bad endings, but only one that comes close to what you're taking about is the one where the imperial military captures the monster-fied elena and conscripts/blackmails the main character into basically using her as a tactical nuke against its political enemies

one thing i do like about the endings for pandora's tower is how the relationship stat factors into the conclusion. the main character's relationship with elena determines which ending you get, but probably not for the reasons you think. the demon incubating within her was formerly human as well, and ends up being affected by her feelings for the main character, and her behavior just before the final boss fight changes accordingly. with a low relationship stat, the boss doesn't even bother speaking before trying to rip your gizzard out. a little higher, and she's contemptuous but talkative, explaining the history behind hers and the towers' creation. higher, and she's now openly infatuated with the main and her exposition instead focuses around her relationship with her own ex-lover before she was experimented on. bring it up to max, and she becomes so deranged with lovesickness that her dialogue consists of almost nothing but screaming the main's name over and over again, and on defeat, her obsession drives her wrest herself back from death in one last attempt to grab hold of him, allowing the protagonists to destroy her for good and break the curse permanently

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

What about intentional funny/jokier bad endings? Those are always entertaining to find. Super Paper Mario is a good one, you can just choose to be a lazy rear end right up front and just let things go to poo poo.

"Please help us, Mario!!"
[no]
"Uh........ok...?
GAME OVER

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

What about intentional funny/jokier bad endings? Those are always entertaining to find. Super Paper Mario is a good one, you can just choose to be a lazy rear end right up front and just let things go to poo poo.

You can get a game over in Harvest Moon DS for letting your dog attack the mayor, who was being kind of a dick about your farm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA1Ps3bh6Ao

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Captain Hygiene posted:

[no]
"Uh........ok...?
GAME OVER

Lagrange Point, which is a weird Famicom JRPG (shameless LP self promo here), has a really funny variant on this.

When you meet a new character, they ask if you want them to join you. When we did the LP, we figured it was a "but thou must!" kind of moment and picked no the first time it came up. It wasn't, and he just hosed off. :v:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Also HM DS, but you really gotta work for this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-sIRFT7gAw

ETA:

The face of a stone cold killer.

: I sure did bring something for the stew.

AngryRobotsInc has a new favorite as of 16:52 on Jan 31, 2020

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Far Cry 4.

At the start of the game, you're in the fictional country of Kyrat (basically Not-Tibet) that's controlled by a dictator, Pagan Min, who's a skinny Kim Jong-Un with better fashion sense.

You're in the country to spread your mother's ashes on a sacred shrine, but get captured by Pagan Min (you're hitching a ride with some freedom fighters and the convoy is attacked by Pagan's army.)

You're then just in his palace, and he goes on and on about the dumplings and how you should eat them, while he then takes the rebellion leader you're with to another room to kill him, and he says he'll be back in ten minutes.

The normal course of gameplay is for you to escape. But if you just sit and wait fie or ten minutes, he does come back.
He then explains he knew your mother and they were lovers until she met your father (who died when you were a baby or before you were born,) and takes you in a helicopter to the shrine, you spread your mom's ashes, then you just get back on the helicopter, he says something about hanging out and shooting guns, and the game ends.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 16:53 on Jan 31, 2020

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Far Cry 4.

At the start of the game, you're in the fictional country of Kyrat (basically Not-Tibet) that's controlled by a dictator, Pagan Min, who's a skinny Kim Jong-Un with better fashion sense.

You're in the country to spread your mother's ashes on a sacred shrine, but get captured by Pagan Min (you're hitching a ride with some freedom fighters and the convoy is attacked by Pagan's army.)

You're then just in his palace, and he goes on and on about the dumplings and how you should eat them, while he then takes the rebellion leader you're with to another room to kill him, and he says he'll be back in ten minutes.

The normal course of gameplay is for you to escape. But if you just sit and wait fie or ten minutes, he does come back.
He then explains he knew your mother and they were lovers until she met your father (who died when you were a baby or before you were born,) and takes you in a helicopter to the shrine, you spread your mom's ashes, then you just get back on the helicopter, he says something about hanging out and shooting guns, and the game ends.

When I played Far Cry 4 I had heard of this ending, but was told it was a bit of a joke ending, and was like "Hell yeah lets check it out."

Oops, it's a huge spoiler for the entire driving purpose of the game. I wasn't happy about that.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

[no]
"Uh........ok...?
GAME OVER

Best of these I've seen is Outer Wilds, where with some quite clever shenanigans you can end up causing a time paradox, the fabric of the universe begins to tear apart, and you're treated to the developers playing the main theme on several kazoos as the credits roll.

It's wonderfully annoying: https://youtu.be/MMlDj1JlrPw

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Morpheus posted:

When I played Far Cry 4 I had heard of this ending, but was told it was a bit of a joke ending, and was like "Hell yeah lets check it out."

Oops, it's a huge spoiler for the entire driving purpose of the game. I wasn't happy about that.

it's something you learn of incredibly quickly in the normal course of the game if not before you even get to the point where you can see the joke ending

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

oldpainless posted:

I like big chains. REALLY BIG CHAINS. like in god of war 2 running over the big chain to the big horses. Or god of war 3 climbing up the big chain through the world. Or Demons souls with the big chain in the sky in the tower of latria. Please give me your memories of big chains.

I loved the God of War 3 chain because as you climb it it fades to black and back in several times to communicate how epically long the chain is, but every time it did that it just made me think of Kratos getting increasingly exasperated with how long it's taking. Also don't you have to climb it more than once? Kinda takes all the impact out of it.

One of the planets in Metroid Prime 3 has moons attached to it with chains, those are pretty big.

haveblue has a new favorite as of 17:17 on Jan 31, 2020

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

flatluigi posted:

it's something you learn of incredibly quickly in the normal course of the game if not before you even get to the point where you can see the joke ending

You don't, at all. For a very good chunk of the game, you're investigating what the location of this place is so you can put your mother's ashes on it. That's half the reason you're given to get to the north part of the map, because someone thinks there may be a shrine with that name up there.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

In Tomba 2: The Evil Swine Return there's an entire area where you spend a lot of time climbing huge chains

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Best of these I've seen is Outer Wilds, where with some quite clever shenanigans you can end up causing a time paradox, the fabric of the universe begins to tear apart, and you're treated to the developers playing the main theme on several kazoos as the credits roll.

That's awesome, I'll probably never play that game so it's cool to see. Actually all the examples have been great, for whatever reason I just enjoy whenever devs do stuff like that.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

haveblue posted:

I loved the God of War 3 chain because as you climb it it fades to black and back in several times to communicate how epically long the chain is, but every time it did that it just made me think of Kratos getting increasingly exasperated with how long it's taking. Also don't you have to climb it more than once? Kinda takes all the impact out of it.

One of the planets in Metroid Prime 3 has moons attached to it with chains, those are pretty big.

Kind of weird how Metroid Prime lets you scan nearly every standout object for a small bit of lore, even if it’s just to talk about how it’s uniquely mysterious and inscrutable to your scanner, but you can’t scan those.

The backstory of the planet concerns an apocalyptic war between scientists and magic users, but neither side is credited with whatever the hell those crazy things are. I don’t think there’s any lore on them at all.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 20:22 on Jan 31, 2020

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Thanks for all the BIG CHAIN STUFF. I was starting to wonder if maybe there was too much BIG CHAIN STUFF and then I realized there could never be too much. I don’t know why I like them so much but I do.

haveblue posted:

This is really cool

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I will never play this game so I have no idea what it's about but the fact this exists is amazing. Mick Gordon should do this for doomy turtle.

Stupid songs in games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TknF4UODXCc

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

haveblue posted:

Reminds me of

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
Never thought I'd see a "Superman finds Galactus's anal beads" as a cross-over comic.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Dr Christmas posted:

The backstory of the planet concerns an apocalyptic war between scientists and magic users, but neither side is credited with whatever the hell those crazy things are. I don’t think there’s any lore on them at all.

drat, I must have missed where it said that. I just assumed it was a robot world because that's all you ever see there, but I guess it's just the robots left over from all the biological life killing each other?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

DrBouvenstein posted:

drat, I must have missed where it said that. I just assumed it was a robot world because that's all you ever see there, but I guess it's just the robots left over from all the biological life killing each other?

The moons are from the first world after the intro, with the lava-like “fuel gel” pools and the lizard creatures who I think might be the devolved remnants of that race, and the frustrating giant statue as the main boss. The robot world is the second one with the sky city.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah IIRC the war was between the race that constructed all the ruins/golems/etc and the ancestors of the lizard creatures.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's awesome, I'll probably never play that game so it's cool to see. Actually all the examples have been great, for whatever reason I just enjoy whenever devs do stuff like that.

ilmucche posted:

I will never play this game so I have no idea what it's about but the fact this exists is amazing. Mick Gordon should do this for doomy turtle.

Stupid songs in games:

Goddamn you are both bumming me out. It's a cute little indie game, you play a space-traveller stuck in a 22 minute time loop, exploring cartoonishly small planets in your rickety little spaceship trying to figure out wth is going on. It's criminally overlooked, and genuinely one of the best pieces of non-linear gameplay and environmental storytelling that I've ever seen. Stuff like Gone Home or The Witness get miles of praise for what they do, then Outer Wilds comes along and is quietly a masterpiece.

Oh, right, fake-out endings....

Pillars of Eternity: Deadfire starts with your character getting stomped on by a giant god, and then the twin gods of death strike a bargain with you - if you agree to serve them they'll resurrect you in your normal body. You can turn down their offer, and take your chances with the natural cycle of reincarnation. Which gives you a short set of ending slides describing how you're reincarnated as a small rodent.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The title of that track is now my favorite little thing

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Context from the game (minimal spoilers but still): You discover a machine that's half teleporter and half time machine- anything you throw in one end comes out the other end slightly before it goes in the first. If you're fast on the controls you can cancel the throw between the new one coming out and the old one going in, thus violating causality (even more than you're doing normally). When you do this the gameworld breaks down and tells you that you destroyed the fabric of spacetime and the game ends, followed by credits and that song.

Everyone should play Outer Wilds.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Goddamn you are both bumming me out. It's a cute little indie game, you play a space-traveller stuck in a 22 minute time loop, exploring cartoonishly small planets in your rickety little spaceship trying to figure out wth is going on. It's criminally overlooked, and genuinely one of the best pieces of non-linear gameplay and environmental storytelling that I've ever seen. Stuff like Gone Home or The Witness get miles of praise for what they do, then Outer Wilds comes along and is quietly a masterpiece.

Haha, I know...it looks great, just also like the kind of time mechanic that stresses me out too much to enjoy it in person.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The nonstandard ending talk reminds me of something similar that happens in Front Mission 3. Early on in the game your friend asks you to go to the mall and for some reason there are two entirely independent plots depending on if you go or not.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

rodbeard posted:

The nonstandard ending talk reminds me of something similar that happens in Front Mission 3. Early on in the game your friend asks you to go to the mall and for some reason there are two entirely independent plots depending on if you go or not.

I wouldn't really call branching story paths the same thing as joke endings. Also he invites you to go help him deliver wanzers (mechs) to some place, not the mall.

A joke ending I remember is one of the early Tales games gives you one if you beat an early "unwinnable" boss-fight.

e: basically IIRC losing the fight is what starts you off on the events that get you some magical artifacts and if you never got captured you'd never have gotten involved in all that so game's over

Zanzibar Ham has a new favorite as of 22:43 on Jan 31, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

ilmucche posted:

Stupid songs in games:

It's inspired by a song from the first Command & Conquer game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap6QaDBZJwM

Also, more cheese from Blizzard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HfmB4r2Fco

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Haha, I know...it looks great, just also like the kind of time mechanic that stresses me out too much to enjoy it in person.

The 22 minute timer is plenty generous - most of my deaths came from crashing into the sun. Or crashing into cactuses. Or crashing into asteroids, climbing out to fix my ship, and then realising I forgot to put a spacesuit on as I quickly asphyxiated.

DMC 5 has a pretty great secret ending. The first boss of the game is meant to be an unwinnable fight, but if you manage to kill him you get text on a black background that just says "The demonic usurper was defeated, and peace returned to the world above. Indeed, this was the satisfying ending we all had hoped for" and then the credits roll.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mierenneuker posted:

It's inspired by a song from the first Command & Conquer game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap6QaDBZJwM

I knew this was gonna be Target before I clicked it. The original C and C has a great soundtrack but that’s a clear standout.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The 22 minute timer is plenty generous - most of my deaths came from crashing into the sun.

loving Sun Station.

But yeah the timer is different from something like Dead Rising, you only need to really worry about it on your last run, but you're expected to die often so it's not as stressful as most timers

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

single-digit-aged me was so annoying with this song.

Also for non-standard game over chat, in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, a toad ghost is haunting a compartment of a train and he wants you to go get his diary back for him, and warns you not to read it. If you do you're given several warnings not to do so, and if you persist mario gets pulled into the loving shadow realm and you get a non-standard game over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZrpqB2x5Uw

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The best fake ending is Kid Icarus: Uprising, because it seems like the actual ending to a kind of short launch title where the replay value comes from scouring for unlockables and random drops and upping the difficulty.

But nope! The real main bad tears down the credits. You’re only 2/5 of the way through.

And then, a few levels later, it starts to get really crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Randalor posted:

Wait, wasn't the chained floating island Mt Woe? And speaking of, Mt Woe is good if you like giant chains. The entire area is chained together on chains large enough that you use them to access the different maps, and it gives the feeling that the entire thing would fall apart if it wasn't for the chains.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah, Zeal floated unsupported. Mt. Woe was on a giant chain.

Look, just because I misremembered an obvious key fact from my favorite part of my favorite game is no reason for y'all to be dicks and correct my misapprehension, okay!?