Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Cerebral Bore posted:

The problem with late Bleach in general is that Kubo wanted to include more conceptual powers in your standard power creep fightmans shonen, and as such the power creep ensured that we ended up with dozens of powers that should be virtually unbeatable, so Kubo had to asspull his way around them with increasing frequency.

I'm starting to think this series would ha even better off without Bankai at all. The vast majority of them are lame and or over powered and most fights are basically just filler till both participants call theirs out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
At least bankais don't provide Full Restores like Arrancar or Quincy second forms do.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Oh I meant all of that poo poo. I couldn't remember what arrancar called theirs and quit reading won Ywach showed up.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I think bankai could have worked better if Kubo stuck to the "shikai, but bigger" model, and if bankai was resultingly not a flat upgrade but rather a trade off: more power but less defense/speed/etc. Likewise you distinguish Ichigo by running with the theme that he has a weird bankai that is instead the inverse: his shikai but smaller, and so gives him more speed but doesn't have the same destructive force of those early getsugas he fires that literally carve a small gorge into the earth.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The tradeoff is that if its broken its forever broken!!! but it was just him trying to explain why people didnt use it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kild posted:

The tradeoff is that if its broken its forever broken!!! but it was just him trying to explain why people didnt use it.

Plenty of bankais are just too dangerous to be used when surrounded by allies, I think.

Like Old Man Yama's bankai is so destructive that it'll loving destroy Soul Society if he keeps it up for too long.

Kyoraku's pretty much kills everyone in the radius including the user or something? I dunno it was at a point where I was rapidly losing my ability to concentrate on Bleach.

Shinji's reverses the recognition of allies and enemies or something? So your team starts fighting each other and the enemy team starts fighting among themselves or some poo poo. Which is useless given how Bleach operates in 1v1 battles at virtually all times.

The dudes who spam their bankais generally meet the following criteria:
1. Doesn't matter if it's broken
2. Little chance of causing ally damage

Byakuya has precise control of his flower petals, and even if you cut them up, you're just loving making more petals for him to cut you with.
Hitsugaya's bankai manipulates ice, and it isn't the ice itself, so even if you break the ice you're not really destroying his bankai, and he's got decent control of it.
Komamura's causes plenty of property damage due to its size but it's not really liable to hurt surrounding allies, and Komamura's got his unique blessing/curse in that he sustains damages that his bankai sustains but his bankai is literally the only one capable of being healed.
Mayuri's bankai does cause tons of ally damage but he doesn't loving give a poo poo, and while he can't restore his bankai he's constantly modifying it anyways so even if it breaks it doesn't matter or something.
Renji is an idiot and didn't even loving know his sword's proper name until the end of the series for some dumbass reason.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i always liked how byakua's cherry blossom death swarm was just a cherry blossom death swarm. that's how it looked, that's how it functioned. the 'microscopic blades that refract light so they merely appear to be cherry blossoms' bit was mentioned once and then ignored. otherwise, the real threat would be people developing ghost lung cancer after exposure.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh, and to add onto the list.

Ikkaku: Has a dumb as poo poo bankai that actively tries to break itself, which makes sense since he's a dude Renji looked up to.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Ikkaku ruled. He perfectly embodied the spirit of the 11th division without devolving into psychopathy. His fight with Ichigo in SS was simple yet fantastic.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like that in his last major fight he threw away his sword and beat his opponent to submission with is fists because it loving broke in shikai mode.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I loved Ikkaku. More proof Division 11 best division. Yumichika is great too. KT make a manga about Division 11 you coward

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

JT Smiley posted:

Oh I meant all of that poo poo. I couldn't remember what arrancar called theirs and quit reading won Ywach showed up.

Arrancar called it Resurreccion and Resurreccion Segunda Etapa (only Ulquiorra had this second transformation).

Resurreccion was cooler than Shikai/Bankai because some of them completely changed the Arrancar's form, instead of just being a new weapon or a bigger sword. Like Yammy turning into a kaiju, or Barragan becoming the Skull King.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Shinji's reverses the recognition of allies and enemies or something? So your team starts fighting each other and the enemy team starts fighting among themselves or some poo poo. Which is useless given how Bleach operates in 1v1 battles at virtually all times.

Reversed their perception of movement and the world, like a mirror. Not make you fight your friends or anything like that.

Schubalts fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 31, 2020

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Apparently it was revealed in a novel that his bankai reverses friendships, which is actually a good and cool use of bankai. The novels sound cooler than later Bleach actually.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TheHan posted:

Apparently it was revealed in a novel that his bankai reverses friendships, which is actually a good and cool use of bankai. The novels sound cooler than later Bleach actually.

The novels also weren’t written week to week

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Schubalts posted:

Reversed their perception of movement and the world, like a mirror. Not make you fight your friends or anything like that.

way to read the post baka

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Schubalts posted:

Resurreccion was cooler than Shikai/Bankai because some of them completely changed the Arrancar's form, instead of just being a new weapon or a bigger sword. Like Yammy turning into a kaiju, or Barragan becoming the Skull King.

gently caress yeah agreed

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
resurreccions let kubo draw weird monsters, which was always one of his strengths.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Schubalts posted:

Arrancar called it Resurreccion and Resurreccion Segunda Etapa (only Ulquiorra had this second transformation).

That's his shikai, not his bankai.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

resurreccions let kubo draw weird monsters, which was always one of his strengths.

He gave every Espada a theoretical 2nd form and Ulqy a 3rd form for the Brave Souls game.

A what-if thing where they use the Hoagie to power up. The forms are dope.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Remember how Yammy was actually the 0 Espanda instead of 10, and how for some reason Kenpachi/Byakuya were able to easily defeat him despite him supposedly being stronger than all the other Espada.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that was silly until various vastly shittier pairs beat all the other top spots. if soi fon and a fat dude who had literally never done anything before could take out barry, why not kenpachi and byakuya who are already way better than them?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Maybe power levels are actually meaningless.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

chumbler posted:

Truly, Aizen was a visionary that came to shounen manga five years too early.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Resurrecion was cool but the concept didn't really make sense. So, Hollows become Shinigami in order to get stronger, and...then...revert back to Hollows to get even more stronger???

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Resurrecion was cool but the concept didn't really make sense. So, Hollows become Shinigami in order to get stronger, and...then...revert back to Hollows to get even more stronger???

They fuse with their zanpakuto to get stronger, it should have (but didn't) foreshadow or tie in to Ichigo's fusion transformation.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Ressurrecion suck because every time an Espada used it lost. Takes away the thrill of the fight a bit.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I always liked how Vizards and Arrancars were mirrors of each other

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

chumbler posted:

Spirit levels literally let you ignore gimmicks and conceptual powers if your spirit level vastly exceeded your opponent's.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Monaghan posted:

Ressurrecion suck because every time an Espada used it lost. Takes away the thrill of the fight a bit.

Well to be fair the Espada just lost. The only fights an Espada won were Grimmjaw against Ichigo, Nnorita vs. Chad and Starrk vs. the Vizards.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

LOL Chad.

(Just kidding. Poor Chad. And if Tatsuki had ever made the team, she would have gotten the same.)

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Its still extremely funny to me all these years later that Ulquiorra got a second form for the sole reason that his initial resurreccion was so unbelievably lame that the fanbase rioted

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wait what.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I think Bankais, Resurrecion and whatever the hell the Quincy powerup were all ok theoretically.

The problem was that for each of them Kubo introduced 50 different variations, and then proceeded to randomly throw them against each other in different pointless fights. Like remember that one time when Renji made his triumphant comeback from the job zone by...fighting a random luchador mook he had not met before? Or how Mayuri, one of the most charismatic characters, ended up fighting a blob so they had to resort to pulling your nostalgia strings by reminding you how cool his fight versus the other scientist was? Or how Urahara shows up to fight discount Aizen and nearly dies for it with no involvement on the resolution of the main conflict?

But nevertheless the point being that Soul Society arc is good because there are only 5 big fights that have a thematic or emotional purpose:

- Ichigo fighting Ikkaku (3rd seat)
- Ichigo fighting Renji (Lieutenant and love interest of Rukia)
- Uryu fighting Mayuri (experimented on multiple Quincy including his grandfather)
- Ichigo fighting Kenpachi (Captain without Bankai)
- Ichigo fighting Byakuya (Captain with Bankai and brother of Rukia, who previously beat the crap out of him)

With only a few sidefights that get resolved relatively quickly (Kenpachi vs blind guy, Chad vs Kyoraku), expand the backstory of characters (Soifon vs Yoruichi) or are resolved offscreen (Yamamoto vs Kyoraku and Ukitake, Yumichika vs 69) , and most of them are used as breaks from the big fights.

And all the time between the big fights plot happens (Aizen is "killed" between the 1st and 2nd big fight, Hinamori and Toshiro confront Gin between the 3rd/4th and 5th battle, Aizen's betrayal is revealed midway through the 5th fight).

The Fake Karakura/Deicide arc and the 2nd part of the 1000 year war arc both fail because they are just a bunch of boss fights one after the other with almost no breaks inbetween them and no emotional investment. At least Hueco Mundo had Rukia vs her mentor imposter, Ichigo vs Grimmjow and Ichigo vs Ulquiorra.

In the case of the Quincy, out of almost 20 fights, the only memorable fights are the Rukia vs The Fear and the Kenpachi ones, and these last ones purely by the fact that Kenpachi is fighting and beating guys who can bend the fabric of reality by punching or biting them harder.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 6, 2020

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

lezard_valeth posted:

The problem was that for each of them Kubo introduced 50 different variations, and then proceeded to randomly throw them against each other in different pointless fights. Like remember that one time when Renji made his triumphant comeback from the job zone by...fighting a random luchador mook he had not met before?

Actually he did meet the Luchador, he and Byakuya faced off against As Nodt and the Luchador. Then, because none of the shinigami realized that Quincies could steal bankais (because Yamamoto's number 2 died while speaking and ended up loving everyone over by misleading them), Byakuya decided to use his bankai first and told Renji to see what the Quincies would try.

Then As Nodt stole Byakuya's bankai and hosed him over, and Renji was too shocked to react and luchador Quincy hosed him over.

Then luchador Quincy went on to fight Hisagi, Kensei, and Rose, handily beating three named characters to prop up Renji's new skills. Renji somehow dominated luchador with just his shikai before finishing him with his bankai because I guess that's how big of a power up he got for some reason.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
God I loving love/hate Bleach so much and I dunno why.

I'm ambivalent on Naruto and Fairy Tail because of how little I cared for them by the end.
I quit Prince of Tennis because I couldn't handle it anymore.
But somehow Bleach has this hold on me despite being so bad. I tried quitting after Deicide and then came back for the final arc a year later.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

There are many things about Bleach that were bad, like that Rukia never really got to do stuff despite Rukia being the coolest

I dropped off the last arc even earlier than Naruto's last arc, and unlike Naruto did not even bother looking at the last chapter or two for closure's sake but I'm still annoyed about pairings

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

God I loving love/hate Bleach so much and I dunno why.

I'm ambivalent on Naruto and Fairy Tail because of how little I cared for them by the end.
I quit Prince of Tennis because I couldn't handle it anymore.
But somehow Bleach has this hold on me despite being so bad. I tried quitting after Deicide and then came back for the final arc a year later.
I think it's because of how good it was up until the end of SS.

Fairy Tail was fun but it was never anything groundbreaking. Naruto was cool but if you weren't like at the right age or mindset to get obsessed with it then it was just a decent to good series until the last couple arcs.

But early Bleach had something special that made it just so loving cool. And it kept those wow moments coming from the beginning til the end of SS so it leaves a strong impression.

Then it goes into the Hueco Mundo arc, or Bount filler for us anime trash, and woof. It still has good moments but they start becoming fewer and less impactful due to character bloat and pacing problems. But it has so much goodwill built up from SS that you have to stick with it because you know how good it can be.

For some that lasted all the way to the end. Sunk cost fallacy is a thing but I read all of Bleac weekly without quitting because despite how aggressively lovely it got by the end it was still the series that did the SS arc and drat it maybe, just maybe, it was going to relight that flame by the end.

Nope.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 6, 2020

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

we all like bleach because it went to poo poo just like our lives.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

gently caress me Bleach has been over for eight years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i still have dreams about it as if it isn't