Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 17, 1937)

NEXT WEEK : HOW THE PLOT WORKS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

And the punishment has arrived, swift and sure!

This one is a twofer! She gets to be punished not only for flirting with a guy, but also for having been pretty and popular in high school! That's what you get, slut!

ETA: Just throwing it out there that I find it mildly irritating that everybody in this comic says "roomie" instead of "roommate," every single time. Does anybody in real life talk like that? (probably not) Have I become an old? (yes)

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 1, 2020

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

okay "flunky" viller but how are you going to do that with all the guards around you haven't addressed that part

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Johnny Joestar posted:

one of the rare few dustins where it's not just outright aggressive to someone, lmao

I was sure they were setting up a bowling joke here

Dustin: Mom says we need to clean the gutters.
Ed: Well you certainly have a lot of experience in the gutter today!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Retail

Get Fuzzy 1/31/00

Double Stephen Collins

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Kennel posted:

I'll be posting End of the World at some point (there's still ~25 V&W strips left and I'll handle those first)

Lars' book is from 2012 and features these stories:
26. Moomin the Colonist
27. Moomin and the Scouts
28. Moomin and the Farm
29. Moomin and the Goldfields

I don't remember if they've been posted (also I'm not sure if I'm going to scan those)

Thank you, I'm looking forward to this. :shobon:

EBB posted:

Clearly the rest of us working full-time jobs live in absolute filth, we don't have perfect martyr stay at home mom Lynn to clean up all our mess.

What gets to me is that instead of giving him a lesson how he still got money or something, she makes it all about her suffering and telling her son what a massive burden he and his sister are.

I thought Dr. Vargo was rushing out to meet the yeti so I'm not sure why he's yelling about having to take a crap now (or if Genie can even hear him over the wind).

I'm still waiting for what exactly is Jams' master plan to own Vargo. Either the yeti's proven to be not real and Dr. Vargo sings praises how Mark is so much better than him, Dr. Vargo is the bad guy and Mark beats him up, or he freezes to death while taking a dump.

Johnny Walker posted:

'We' being all of humanity, of course.

Iris, don't enable Mary. She gives incredibly lovely advice! Had she sunk her claws on Zak, she would've told him to give you more space and you two wouldn't have gotten back together.

Julet Esqu posted:

And the punishment has arrived, swift and sure!

This one is a twofer! She gets to be punished not only for flirting with a guy, but also for having been pretty and popular in high school! That's what you get, slut!

Don't forget fatshaming! Got to make Tiff feel bad for the weight she gained by having this new slim cheerleader around.

gently caress Team Evans.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Star Wars is an AT-AT with a handicapped tag

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

It took me a good minute or two to see this as anything other than the death star throne room.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
King Aroo 9/12/53

They'll Do It Every Time 8/23/46

Mopsy 9/2/42

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
The Perishers (1983)

Beau Peep (1986)

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Bloom County
February 3rd & 4th, 1981

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Between the semester kicking in in earnest and having a brief winter cold, I've been pretty zonked this week and remiss in posting. Sorry for the hiatus. Since a few people mentioned my posts becoming a little overwhelming, I've tried to trim down my selections to a more digestible level. Here's

Barnaby (July 1-July 2, 1942)

Dykes to Watch Out For

And that's that for the 1986 Firebrand collection of one-off strips. Next I'll be moving into the beginning of the serial stuff.

Sam's Strip (December 25-December 27, 1961)

That's Clarence "Mac" MacDougall, from 1921-1959's Tillie the Toiler. I'm not super familiar with this strip but it seems like it was a fairly realistically drawn strip about a young working class flapper, with Mac as the cartoonishly-drawn comic relief guy.

Pogo (October 14-October 17, 1948)

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Fort Knox

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Corto Maltese: Corto gets annoyed at Rasputin, or OK, Nino, this is why the Communists win. They shoot first, THEN give the boast, or Well, that's everyone deafened now.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

How Wonderful! posted:

Since a few people mentioned my posts becoming a little overwhelming, I've tried to trim down my selections to a more digestible level.
Thanks!

quote:

Pogo (October 14-October 17, 1948)

Heh, that's at least third lost sock strip in this thread within five days. And they are from 1948, 1997 (V&W) and 2020 (RWO). Some things don't change.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Fort Knox is such dog-poo poo.

Docks

Zip

Rip

Dick

Duck

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Old School Peanuts (Jun 12, 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jan 13-14, 1987)

Robbie and Bobby (Mar 6-10, 2015)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I still really like King Aroo.
There's a Winnie the Pooh bit where they're stuck in a hole and it reminds me so much of the way King Aroo works, it's great. That sort of weird whimsy.

Also SomeguyTT I dunno why but in the last few months I'm finding myself missing the punchline of like 9/10 Dharma comics. I remember that in the past you used to explain when they were confusing ones, is it possible to do that again? I realise you're translating them yourself and it's already a lot of work but still, I'm so baffled so often with them now.

One Big Happy has always had the same issue that it's got kids getting confused by stuff that just wouldn't work that way but man why's the writer become an angry boomer? It's sorta sad, I did think it was cute before.

Taear fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 2, 2020

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Juliet Jones on a Sunday, which I was waiting for the start of a new story, but I like the last panel, which is really Eve. Shine on, Eve, shine on. Lead with your heart.

Also, I am waiting for the panel where Sir Gawain, in front of Hadrian's wall, prepares to die expensively, because that was bad rear end.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
My Dad is Dracula

hi son ☎️ this guest comic by @bastardcomics​ will cure what ails ya! Be sure to also check out her patreon 👉 https://www.patreon.com/bastardcomics 👈

Pickles

Zits

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

1997 Viivi & Wagner

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Endless Mike posted:

Star Wars is an AT-AT with a handicapped tag

Oh no, I miss TANITH SHIRE already!

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Bloom County
February 3rd & 4th, 1981

Thanks for posting these. Bloom County in the mid-late '80s was such a distinctive and interesting thing, so it's very fascinating to see what it looked like before it had really figured out what it was. It's interesting and off-beat, but it hasn't yet figured out how to be something other than a Doonesbury clone (as seen below).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Star Wars is I'm too hungover to even try to make a bad joke here

ED-it:

Ed loving sucks

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 2, 2020

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Oh god that was ripping off Doonesbury?! I never knew that, I just thought that entire thing was just neat and clever.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it's a new enough idea to be ripping it off. That gag is ancient.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

amigolupus posted:

I thought Dr. Vargo was rushing out to meet the yeti so I'm not sure why he's yelling about having to take a crap now (or if Genie can even hear him over the wind).

I'm still waiting for what exactly is Jams' master plan to own Vargo. Either the yeti's proven to be not real and Dr. Vargo sings praises how Mark is so much better than him, Dr. Vargo is the bad guy and Mark beats him up, or he freezes to death while taking a dump.
I edited it. He was running out to find the yeti.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom finally starts a story

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Popeye's Cartoon Club

This artist is one of the Six Chix

Flash Gordon

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Fully expecting Rex to do a better and more thorough job examining and diagnosing this random man who thinks he's fine than he did with his woman relative who thought she was dying.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Ugh, Wilbur should be lonely.

I think panels 2 and 4 are stock at this point, I'd swear we see those exact poses every few weeks.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

70s Comics

Dick Tracy

Major Crime Squad

Locher Tracy

I can't believe they don't realize it was Carmen Sandiego yet.

Origins of the Sunday Comics, spoilered because racist caricature

Footrot Flats

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

And thus begins the epic saga of Spiderman dragging around a dead unconscious body.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and Family Life

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Johnny Walker posted:

I edited it. He was running out to find the yeti.

Honestly, Dr. Vargo running off to take a dump would be more exciting than another week spent on two heads talking with each other.

What do you mean by this "We all win" horseshit, Mary? Absolutely no one wanted Wilbur to keep dating Estelle. This storyline went to such great heights with the whole drunken Wilbur fiasco only to completely waste it on this crappy ending.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Johnny Walker posted:

The Phantom finally starts a story

For a lot of the historically-located strips I like to google references to things, basically just to see if they're references and whether it's some extra wink-wink-nod-nod storytelling.

While the story of the brigantine Venus is quite interesting, based on who we've been introduced so far it seems like it won't be terribly relevant beyond that most archetypal of stories at sea, the mutiny.

The more interesting part is that the slightly bawdy part of the tale, wherein the captain reports finding drunk crewmen with topless women, appears to have caused the ship to lend its conveniently salacious name to a drinking song that feels like listening to the Event Horizon video logs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuRO86t12sY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

glanced over at modern Dick and i have zero idea what's going on