Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Julet Esqu posted:

Fully expecting Rex to do a better and more thorough job examining and diagnosing this random man who thinks he's fine than he did with his woman relative who thought she was dying.

They just skipped the details of the testing, it's in no way indicated that they didn't test her. The whole point is a "hey old people, go to the doctor" after school special line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Fully expecting Rex to do a better and more thorough job examining and diagnosing this random man who thinks he's fine than he did with his woman relative who thought she was dying.

From the sound of things Rex did do a full battery of tests on all her conditions and his initial diagnosis was correct. It's why she's so happy, all her tests came back fine.

If this were a comic where stakes existed and thigns happened then I'd believe that yes he does take the new guy more seriously than Tildy which reveals that, actually, they're suffering from the same things but he doesn't realize it until Tildy is back in the hospital and oh man can they save her from *waves hands* whatever.

But these will be 2 entirely separate cases with separate issues and Tildy will be completely fine, we just have a new background character for a bit, and then she leaves to parts unknown. Meanwhile this guy will have onset symptoms of super flu but dont worry we have a fulll ine of treatments, here yo ugo, thank you doctor i'm glad this worked on and we'll wrap it up in about 3 months.

I love rex morgan's commitment to being boring, is what i'm saying.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

riderchop posted:

glanced over at modern Dick and i have zero idea what's going on
For once the storyline is comprehensible enough that I do know what's happening:
Mr Roboto is a Styx reference/racist caricature that robs banks. Mysta the moon girl was playing Futura in a production of Metropolis the Flinthearts were putting on. Roboto fell for Mysta-as-Futura and has kidnapped her, and is now feeding her a giant snail. Dick Tracy himself is probably somewhere, doing something.

This storyline has been going on for about a month and a half but that's all that's really happened.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Haifisch posted:

For once the storyline is comprehensible enough that I do know what's happening:
Mr Roboto is a Styx reference/racist caricature that robs banks. Mysta the moon girl was playing Futura in a production of Metropolis the Flinthearts were putting on. Roboto fell for Mysta-as-Futura and has kidnapped her, and is now feeding her a giant snail. Dick Tracy himself is probably somewhere, doing something.

This storyline has been going on for about a month and a half but that's all that's really happened.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The crime-man likes wearing a robot mask to do crimes.
The moon lady is playing the robot lady from Metropolis in a play.
The man wants to gently caress the fake-robot space alien because she represents his lustful feelings towards film robot.
He has brought her a meal of some illegally acquired moon-mollusc to try and woo her.

The man has picked his gimmick and now he really wants to gently caress the space alien dressed as a robot because of how CP3O made him feel when he was 12.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
tl;dr: Crime man really into his robotsona, thinks moon lady should be too.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Retail

Get Fuzzy 2/1/00

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

goatface posted:

The man wants to gently caress the fake-robot space alien because she represents his lustful feelings towards film robot.
He has brought her a meal of some illegally acquired moon-mollusc to try and woo her.

The man has picked his gimmick and now he really wants to gently caress the space alien dressed as a robot because of how CP3O made him feel when he was 12.

Am I correct in remembering that the Moon Lady is not actually a Moon Lady, but an initially-brainwashed and surgically altered impostor who decided to keep her surgical alterations after everything was resolved?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yes, I think so. I think the child is the only proper/partial moon-person currently active, but I could be wrong.

edit - I think the general public also still believe she is a moon-lady.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

maltesh posted:

Am I correct in remembering that the Moon Lady is not actually a Moon Lady, but an initially-brainwashed and surgically altered impostor who decided to keep her surgical alterations after everything was resolved?

Yes! Hence her use of the last name " Chimera". Between a combo of MAGIC DNA TRANSFUSIONS and Surgery, she has alot of the functions of a moon person,but it mostly a modified human.

She doesn't remember her previous self/life at all!

Isn't that just horrifying? :haw:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Wait, when did Holbrook guest write for Dick Tracy? I missed that part.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It was presented as a harrowing set of enforced medical procedures rather than a cheerful swig from a beaker full of moon-man goo.

Entirely different.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

If I didn't know Retail was supposed to be ending, I'd think it was just business as usual. I thought maybe Feuti would try and do something interesting like an extended storyline to cap off his series, but no, he's really dedicated to have absolutely nothing going on. It's almost impressive, really.

goatface posted:

When you say it like that, it sounds like it could be an interesting story if it was handled by a competent writer. Too bad modern Dick Tracy can't tell a story worth a drat.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

skeleton warrior posted:

Thanks for posting these. Bloom County in the mid-late '80s was such a distinctive and interesting thing, so it's very fascinating to see what it looked like before it had really figured out what it was. It's interesting and off-beat, but it hasn't yet figured out how to be something other than a Doonesbury clone (as seen below).

Yeah, it definitely starts to come into its own slightly later on. I think once we get Opus introduced is where Breathed starts to hit his stride.

Bloom County
February 5th & 6th, 1981

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cream Bun

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Peanuts (February 4, 1973)

Harry Dinkle's Moldy Band Humor Page

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Life (With Skippy) (January 31, 1924)

Elsewhere In The Magazine: So how's that furnace comin', buddy?

Carl Anderson (1865-1948) was, at this point in the timeline, a journeyman cartoonist, plugging away in newspapers and magazines since just after the turn of the century. Not the worst career in the world, but nothing really caught fire for him until 1932 when, at the age of 67, he started drawing a bald-headed boy in a white t-shirt for the Saturday Evening Post.

Henry somehow lasted until 2018. Anderson? He only lasted one more decade at the drawing board, handing off art duties to assistants in 1942 due to arthritis, but at least he finally created a winner.

(Buster will be back next week, if not sooner. Sorry again for the fumble.)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 3, 2020

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

and the clock ticks ever closer to an Extremely Serious (but wry) storyline about the horrors of aphasia

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

amigolupus posted:

If I didn't know Retail was supposed to be ending, I'd think it was just business as usual. I thought maybe Feuti would try and do something interesting like an extended storyline to cap off his series, but no, he's really dedicated to have absolutely nothing going on. It's almost impressive, really.

It's far more realistic for the retail conglomerate to suddenly lay off its entire staff base after a month or two of suppressing any bad news internally.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Green Intern posted:

It's far more realistic for the retail conglomerate to suddenly lay off its entire staff base after a month or two of suppressing any bad news internally.
In the last chain I worked they had a predilection for telling people they were shutting down a location and giving the staff the choice of "you can work at a remaining store or not" on...the day before or the day of closure.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I just wanted to point out the cool-sounding, old-time measurements from Prince Valiant: "The virgate, yardland, or yard of land (Latin: virgāta [terrae]) was an English unit of land. Primarily a measure of tax assessment rather than area, the virgate was usually (but not always) reckoned as ​1⁄4 hide and notionally (but seldom exactly) equal to 30 acres. It was equivalent to two of the Danelaw's oxgangs."

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

maltesh posted:

She doesn't have memories of being who she was before the brainwashing and such, and she's also go superpowers now, so she decided "might as well roll with it"

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Green Intern posted:

While I get that it would be more realistic that way, it just feels like Retail isn't even trying at all. I thought showing Marla freaking out over not hearing from Stuart, or Cooper getting a job offer at a different store was setting up for a final arc exploring how everyone would move on after Grumbels shuts down. I guess I just expected Feuti to do something after announcing that Retail's going to end soon.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's worth mentioning that Mysta was formerly a villain in a storyline that saw her come runner-up in a Moon Maid look-alike contest to Sparkle Plenty. Sparkle would, of course, eventually collect her grand prize of marrying Junior Tracy, widower of the actual Moon Maid. The last thing we heard of her before she reappeared as the fake Moon Maid was that she was serving time in a Mexican jail for drug-running, so there's also an element of what would she even go back to.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
King Aroo 9/13/53

They'll Do It Every Time 8/24/46

Mopsy 9/3/42

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Barnaby (July 3-July 4, 1942)

Dykes to Watch Out For

From here on out we're into the serialized stuff which, aside from the Bechdel Test strip, DtWOF is probably most famous for. Mo here is basically the protagonist of the strip, although it gradually become more and more of an ensemble thing. She's an authorial surrogate in a lot of ways, down to her haircut and glasses, but in others Bechdel doesn't hesitate to make her look like an idiot or an rear end in a top hat in order to land a joke about her community. Already we can see in Mo a heady mix of Puritanical, horny, and pedantic which will continue to sort of be her golden trifecta.

Since as far as I know no super comprehensively organized DtWOF archive exists in a format I can easily access, I'm just hopping from the old Firestone collection to the fancy newer Essential Dykes to Watch Out For. This is a beautiful collection and I'm very happy to have it as a big print volume gathering stately dust in my office, but it's still pretty crummy with covering dates and where stuff was originally published, so dates will continue to be sketchy.

Sam's Strip (December 28-December 30, 1961)

Pogo (October 18-October 20, 1948)

William de la Torre's Little Pedro was one of the other comic strips running in the New York Star during Pogo's first daily run. If the butterfly had wandered off to fellow Star strip Barnaby I wouldn't have felt obligated to write this note.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
It's still barely Sunday in my time zone! Squeaking this one by!

The Lockhrons

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Stone Soup

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Oh Hagar, you big softie.

In today's Corto Maltese: Chang (rightfully) doesn't trust Corto, or Corto chooses the worst time to flirt, or Frankly, this would be pretty kick-rear end in motion

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Fort Knox

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I guess the Tinkerson dad isn't vegetarian anymore unless the comic-strip version of Altoona's Original Texas Hot Dogs has a different menu than the real one. Is the mom still? Just a few days ago she had the son eating faux-chicken, right?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Catch-up post - classic service resumes tomorrow.

Arlo and Janis

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Juliet Jones is probably wondering how this Don knew to look for Karen at the Jones place

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

FrumpleOrz posted:

Hagar The Horrible

Hagar the Adorable :allears:

F Minus

Mark Trail

It's got to be the yeti!

Mary Worth

Video chat is so much better in France.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Johnny Walker posted:

Mark Trail

It's got to be the yeti!

Diarrhea is like a storm, raging inside you.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
That's an actual map of Iceland isn't it?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Johnny Walker posted:

Mark Trail

It's got to be the yeti!

Oh my god, am I going to die in an avalanche chasing blindly after proof of something that doesn't exist?

FrumpleOrz posted:

Hagar The Horrible

Hagar the Wholesome.

BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Ray Billingsley's The Thing

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Vargo posted:

Ray Billingsley's The Thing

Oh poo poo Curtis killed her!

Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Jun 13, 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jan 15-16, 1987)

Robbie and Bobby (Mar 12-13, 2015)

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
One of the things I find endlessly charming about A+J is how the Sunday strips totally dispense with the whole, "disposable top third" thing. Jimmy doesn't even bother, like, "why do a third more work for a third fewer people and waste a gag I could spin off into a daily?"

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

What the gently caress, Curtis

Also drat, Bobbie and Robbie is going ham.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?