Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Yeah, silence isn't nearly as powerful as it feels like it could be, since it mostly follows Ye Olden Tebletop rules and only silences spells, not 'spell-like abilities'. ...if the trunk wiki article on the silence spell is accurate, it also does not effect demons at all(???), which would mean they can still shout and cast spells normally regardless.

Silence is one of the handful of cases where the game can really, REALLY reward system mastery and punish a lack of in-depth system knowledge. I'm not sure off-hand if silence-providing effects or monster descriptions even mention that 'spell-like abilities' (because that's totally what they are) are not affected.

Of course not! It's perfectly obvious.

All you have to do is go down to the very bottom of the crawl wiki page on silence and read the footnotes.....

... and you'll see that it depends on the spell flag!

Surely you read the footnotes on the wiki page for a spell or scroll before you use it. :colbert:

Anyway, then you just have to go to the wiki page for every monster you fight, since it's not in their in-game description, and see which of their spells have which flag! It couldn't be obviouser!

Seriously, probably the best way to be sure is subscribing to one of the beem bots and using %? on anything you're a bit queezy about fighting:

gleem posted:

araganzar, gleem
araganzar: %?ereshkigal
gleem: Ereshkigal (&) | Spd: 14 | HD: 18 | HP: 285-399 | AC/EV: 10/30 | Dam: 40(drain) | demonic, weapons, items, doors, evil, unholy, see invisible | Res: magic(immune), cold, elec, poison, rot, neg+++, torm | Vul: holy++ | XP: 12975 | Sp: b.cold
gleem: ..(3d27) [!sil], silence [!sil], sum.greater demon [!sil], s.torment [!sil], paralyse [!sil], major healing [!sil, emergency] | Sz: Large | Int: human.
araganzar: %?daeva
gleem: daeva (A) | Spd: 10 | HD: 14 | HP: 96-139 | AC/EV: 10/11 | Dam: 25, 10 | holy, weapons, items, doors, fighter, see invisible, fly | Res: magic(140), poison, rot, neg+++, holy | XP: 1865 | Sp: smiting (7-17) [!sil] | Sz: Medium | Int: human.

This is pretty much my go-to when I'm fuzzy on exactly how some baddy works. Right, you can't expect to stop all the time and check everything in sight, but any time I'm nervous about something I find it quite helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Any spell that's considered magical? loooool

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Serephina posted:

Any spell that's considered magical? loooool

Like all coding projects, Crawl has some excellent naming conventions.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

If you x-v a monster, their spell/ability list tells you whether the spells are specifically blockable by silence/antimagic or not, like such:

so the information is there, you just have to actually look

daevas' abilities are affected by antimagic but not silence, apparently!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I will confirm that yes silence does nothing against spell-like abilities in D&D 3e which is presumably what they're referencing. The question is why the gently caress would you take a set of rules that only works to frustrate people in a very complicated tabletop RPG and stick it in your roguelike as well?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

someone awful. posted:

If you x-v a monster, their spell/ability list tells you whether the spells are specifically blockable by silence/antimagic or not, like such:

so the information is there, you just have to actually look

daevas' abilities are affected by antimagic but not silence, apparently!

If you actually look at the description of daeva, it will actually say nothing about silence.

Yes, we know your face got bitten off, but you should have known, the houses in the neighborhood with friendly dogs have signs saying FEEL FREE TO APPROACH GATE, DOG IS FRIENDLY AND WILL NOT BITE YOUR FACE OFF.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

yeah the phrasing should be updated to specifically say "which are not affected by silence or antimagic", also. Omitting the wording that says "affected by silence" to imply that silence won't work, instead of explicitly spelling out that it won't work, is pretty unintuitive

but if you know how to read the information, it is there. this is quintessential Crawl ui design issue territory, unfortunately :sigh:

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
So here is my current character trying to complete pledge of Madness (can't grab orb until you exit floor 27 of a ziggurat):
https://pastebin.com/Lh3xVk55

They didn't have a lot of the scary stuff they do now the last time I completed a zig. Also have never done one with Gozag. Does gooncrawl have the old good Gozag for zigs?

For runes I only have Eresh (who terrifies me) and Tomb left. Still haven't found Annihilations. I was hoping to get by on casting but I've only found like +5 int in rings

My usual plan of "tab with finisher until boss explodes" won't work here. I'm thinking I need Tornado to clear guys off the stairs since I don't need to actually kill everything, and Ignition. Maybe also a good axe?

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Araganzar posted:

So here is my current character trying to complete pledge of Madness (can't grab orb until you exit floor 27 of a ziggurat):
https://pastebin.com/Lh3xVk55

They didn't have a lot of the scary stuff they do now the last time I completed a zig. Also have never done one with Gozag. Does gooncrawl have the old good Gozag for zigs?

For runes I only have Eresh (who terrifies me) and Tomb left. Still haven't found Annihilations. I was hoping to get by on casting but I've only found like +5 int in rings

My usual plan of "tab with finisher until boss explodes" won't work here. I'm thinking I need Tornado to clear guys off the stairs since I don't need to actually kill everything, and Ignition. Maybe also a good axe?

Infestation + igntion + gozag (+death channel for floors with living enemies) is the easy combo for Zig running. Use potion petition liberally to refill mana and be prepared to press the spacebar a million times as your scarabs and ghosts multiply

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Arivia posted:

I will confirm that yes silence does nothing against spell-like abilities in D&D 3e which is presumably what they're referencing. The question is why the gently caress would you take a set of rules that only works to frustrate people in a very complicated tabletop RPG and stick it in your roguelike as well?

Because if demons were affected by Silence it would need to be a 9th level spell.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Every time I get Silence I'm excited, and then I slowly remember that there really aren't a lot of situations where it matters because 75% of threatening casters ignore it and I always have other ways of killing things quickly that don't involve shutting down my scrolls.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Because if demons were affected by Silence it would need to be a 9th level spell.

I don't disagree that it would need to be balanced differently. Just taking a mechanic from 3e D&D isn't a great way to do it though.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/paymentplan/paymentplan.txt

Trying to get my first win and could use some guidance. This is the first character I've gotten through both Lair branches with, so I'm feeling hopeful I can go all the way.

I'm sure I've misspent valuable XP and spell levels, but basically, are there any items and/or spells I should be using instead of what I've been doing? Because of mummy fragility I've really been leaning on Yred summons and raised zombies. But I have a lengthy list of spells I could learn and I assume there's still enough XP available to train up another spell school if it would help.

Anything I could ctrl+f for that I'd be stupid to leave on the ground? I'm descending through the Depths right now; where should I go next?

That sort of stuff would really help! I love this game and I've been playing it at least a decade now without managing a victory. Thanks!

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Arivia posted:

I don't disagree that it would need to be balanced differently. Just taking a mechanic from 3e D&D isn't a great way to do it though.

I don’t disagree with the point that the way silence works is too full of special cases and gotchas, but I do want to write a bit in it’s defense.

It’s true that you don’t ever need silence, but it’s very, very powerful when it works, and it works on a lot of really nasty things. It’s a level 5 spell that isn’t too dependent on spell power, so if you’re at all invested in either of its two schools and have good weapon skills, it’s easily worth picking up in a three rune game. It can turn game ending situations in elf, vaults, depths and crypt into easy experience and it’s a very powerful tool in tomb. You can even get it by lair branches, and depending on the branches, it can be quite helpful there, too.

Regarding the overall design of the spell — a heavily situational mid-level spell that’s overwhelmingly strong when it’s strong, but also has a very dangerous drawback — I think it’s almost perfect. I love silence. That it’s mostly useless in extended (other than tomb) is more a problem with extended than silence itself.

I wonder if the issue of clarity could be mitigated by making spell casting monsters fall into stricter categories that are more clearly marked on information screens? Making the spell higher level would really screw over the main group of builds that uses it now, while making it applicable to everything would not only make it overpowered, I think it would be overall less interesting if you could just use it to shut down enemies like orbs of fire.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Descriptions of abilities should be very clear about whether they're affected by silence.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I don’t disagree with the point that the way silence works is too full of special cases and gotchas, but I do want to write a bit in it’s defense.

It’s true that you don’t ever need silence, but it’s very, very powerful when it works, and it works on a lot of really nasty things. It’s a level 5 spell that isn’t too dependent on spell power, so if you’re at all invested in either of its two schools and have good weapon skills, it’s easily worth picking up in a three rune game. It can turn game ending situations in elf, vaults, depths and crypt into easy experience and it’s a very powerful tool in tomb. You can even get it by lair branches, and depending on the branches, it can be quite helpful there, too.

Regarding the overall design of the spell — a heavily situational mid-level spell that’s overwhelmingly strong when it’s strong, but also has a very dangerous drawback — I think it’s almost perfect. I love silence. That it’s mostly useless in extended (other than tomb) is more a problem with extended than silence itself.

I wonder if the issue of clarity could be mitigated by making spell casting monsters fall into stricter categories that are more clearly marked on information screens? Making the spell higher level would really screw over the main group of builds that uses it now, while making it applicable to everything would not only make it overpowered, I think it would be overall less interesting if you could just use it to shut down enemies like orbs of fire.

Yep, I think you've got the right of it. It serves Crawl well, it just shouldn't use an arbitrary piece of logic from a completely different complicated game to determine its effects.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

PMush Perfect posted:

Descriptions of abilities should be very clear about whether they're affected by silence.

It does state it clearly, I just assumed that calling upon Zin to smite me required speech and didn't bother checking.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Araganzar posted:

I think certain Ds mutations (Sturdy Frame, Spiny, Foul Stench, Negative Energy Resistance, Repulsion Field, Passive Freeze) could use a significant buff or rework so the Ds game is more how well you adjust than whether or not you hit the lottery.

Maybe the following changes?

-Sturdy Frame: Gives +2 str per level?
-Spiny: Just increase the damage. Or have it give a little AC or EV?
-Foul Stench: Maybe give a chance to release miasma starting at the first level of the mutation, and adjust chances at level 2 and 3? This mutation is useless in extended, but I don’t really know what to do about that. Miasma is really strong when it works, though.
-Negative Energy Resistance: Swap black mark and torment resistance and increase the proc rate of black mark from 1/5 to 1/3.
-Repulsion Field: Honestly, I think repel missiles is part of the problem here, especially as a permabuff. A bigger drawback on repel missiles would help this feel more valuable. Another possibility would be percentage or even flat damage reduction against any kind of projectile attack.
-Passive Freeze: This used to be really good when freeze had mini-stun, now it’s worse than the tier 2 ice mutation. Adding mini-stun back to just this freeze could work, but conveying that’s happening to the player is tricky. A crazier idea would be adding AoE to the freeze retaliation.

apophenium posted:

https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/paymentplan/paymentplan.txt

Trying to get my first win and could use some guidance. This is the first character I've gotten through both Lair branches with, so I'm feeling hopeful I can go all the way.

I'm sure I've misspent valuable XP and spell levels, but basically, are there any items and/or spells I should be using instead of what I've been doing? Because of mummy fragility I've really been leaning on Yred summons and raised zombies. But I have a lengthy list of spells I could learn and I assume there's still enough XP available to train up another spell school if it would help.

Anything I could ctrl+f for that I'd be stupid to leave on the ground? I'm descending through the Depths right now; where should I go next?

That sort of stuff would really help! I love this game and I've been playing it at least a decade now without managing a victory. Thanks!

Is there a reason you didn’t do V: 4? Not a big deal, but that’s usually easier than depths. Otherwise, keep clearing depths. By the time you’re done with depths and have cleared V to 4, you should decide if you want to do V: 5 right away or do elf and crypt first. Memorizing dispel undead should make crypt pretty easy. If you can handle vaults and depths, you can handle elf, but you have to pull the vault really slowly (borgnjor’s clutch will help a lot). Always run away and pull elves out of the vault a few at a time, never rush in.

Your major goal for equipment should be to replace your armor. Almost anything will be better than what you’ve got, especially since you rarely need more than one source of MR. Fire dragon scales would be perfect, if you could enchant them up. Also, train up dodging. In medium armor with good dex, you can get a good chunk of EV out of dodging and it should be pretty cheap.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Heithinn Grasida posted:

-Sturdy Frame: Gives +2 str per level?
-Spiny: Just increase the damage. Or have it give a little AC or EV?
-Foul Stench: Maybe give a chance to release miasma starting at the first level of the mutation, and adjust chances at level 2 and 3? This mutation is useless in extended, but I don’t really know what to do about that. Miasma is really strong when it works, though.
-Negative Energy Resistance: Swap black mark and torment resistance and increase the proc rate of black mark from 1/5 to 1/3.
-Repulsion Field: Honestly, I think repel missiles is part of the problem here, especially as a permabuff. A bigger drawback on repel missiles would help this feel more valuable. Another possibility would be percentage or even flat damage reduction against any kind of projectile attack.
-Passive Freeze: This used to be really good when freeze had mini-stun, now it’s worse than the tier 2 ice mutation. Adding mini-stun back to just this freeze could work, but conveying that’s happening to the player is tricky. A crazier idea would be adding AoE to the freeze retaliation.

Yeah I was thinking about something down those lines, I want to increase the -encumbrance by 1 per level (also want to increase the hermit crap to -11). Foul Stench just needs something like dith-style or evocable fog - miasma is very powerful early but fog would be useful very late. Maybe your attacks inflict sickness?

I agree black mark is too low proc and comes too late. I'll take a look, mutation effects are pretty easy to add and check for.

FYI I told apohenium (paymentplan on webtiles) to pick up Arga and focus axes. We looked and no ego plate, no randarts heavier than ring, no enchant armors, +0 scales, probably want FDA once a few enchants are found. I couldn't believe it either, I was like you 100% have better armor than this then I was like wow no you don't.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Playing a bit of 0.24 vanilla crawl. Someone had the muppet idea to let monsters use ice blast ones. Thanks for that you dicks. D2 Ijyb with a 10 charge ice blast wand is a real challenge that can be overcome by good tactics amirite?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Monsters have always been able to use any wand they find, haven't they?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

No, not iceblast as far as I know.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Ijyb dosn't pick up wands, she has an 100% chance to spawn with a wand. When they changed this from 20% they pumped her down from D2-3 to D3-5.

Monsters usually will not spawn under HD5 with a high level wand but there is a special exception for Ijyb:
code:
   // Don't give top-tier wands before 5 HD, except to Ijyb and not in sprint.
    const bool no_high_tier =
            (mon->get_experience_level() < 5
                || mons_class_flag(mon->type, M_NO_HT_WAND))
            && (mon->type != MONS_IJYB || crawl_state.game_is_sprint());
The high-tier wands are Enslavement, Para, Acid, Iceblast, Disint, Clouds, and Scattershot, so this is why Ijyb is the only monster you'll see with an acid wand on D3. I've definitely died multiple times to that, can't recall ever being killed by iceblast . Still I see nothing to prevent it. They're in the same tier.

Ijyb also has to like the wand she was given. The way crawl does this is it uses the wand charge value, which is 9 for scattershot/clouds/dig, 15 for the other high-level wands, 32 for flame/random effects, and 24 for everything else. If this value plus the monster's HD * 6 is greater than 72 the monster won't pick up the wand. This may appear to be confusing but it's in line with crawl's commitment to having no conscience or shame when it comes to maths. Effectively Ijyb will use any wand, but this explains why orc warlords won't pick up a wand of flame.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I got zapped by a gnoll with an acid wand on gooncrawl a couple days back, how did that happen?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Well Gnolls have an HD of 2, acid is a high-level wand so that's 15 and if we slot those numbers into the equation:

15 + 12 = 27 < 72, gnoll will pick up wand off floor.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Turns out my math is bad

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
FYI those of you taking the Spiteful Crab challenge, I went ahead and completed one to show it can be done.

Was in trouble until I found Vamp Tooth on U5 and that got me the Vault rune:
code:
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version v1.0-702-g0efe301 (webtiles) character file.

1598453 araganzar the Wrestler (level 25, 349/349 HPs)
             Began as a Hermit Crab Archaeologist on Jan 30, 2020.
             Was the Champion of Okawaru.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Jan 31, 2020!

The game lasted 06:39:11 (88891 turns).

araganzar the Wrestler (Hermit Crab Archaeologist) Turns: 88891, Time: 06:39:12

Health: 349/349    AC: 45    Str: 29    XL:     25
Magic:  38/39      EV: 31    Int: 24    God:    Okawaru [******]
Gold:   1574       SH: 20    Dex: 20    Spells: 5/48 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis .     - Unarmed
rCold    + . .     Gourm    .   h - +3 shield "Moaddis" {+Blink rCorr}
rNeg     + + .     Faith    .   O - +14 crystal plate armour
rPois    +         Spirit   .   k - scarf {rC+ rF+}
rElec    .         Reflect  .   C - amulet of regeneration {+regen, !d}
rCorr    +         Harm     .   J - ring "Uhudaosk" {rPois rF+ rN+ Str+2 Int+4}
MR       ++++.                  A - ring "Utwycs" {+Fly rF+ rN+ MR+ Int+3}

You have taken the pledge of the Spiteful.
My biggest mistake was probably sacrificing reading scrolls when threatened. I was thinking blink, forgot it covers teleport as well. Also not having blink is bad enough. I picked up blink and passage of golubria ASAP when I found them. Second mistake was sacrificing Earth arcana, thought I wouldn't need statform then I did not find a single source of rElec the ENTIRE GAME that was not on body armor or a weapon (and the only usable weapon was a sling).

Almost died getting oka piety back up. I also was 100% sure I was gonna die in an epic battle with a curse toe. Dropped a ton of deathcaps then chain tormented, I was at 20-23 HP for 5-6 turns of quaffing heals and cures because I was life drained tormented and confused constantly and unable to read scrolls.

Stretch goals: if 2 people complete, I will try to put in an evolution for New Crab Race at level 7 to fire, ghost, chaos, or steel crab with appropriate resists, breath, and aptitude changes.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Floorgod gave my GnAc Firestarter on d5, crate gave me Bear Spirit, shops gave me Book of Battle and Book of Power, purple gave me rElec, Clarity and Wild Magic 1.

I can't wait to see how my hubris kills me this time.

edit the answer was trying to do elf 3 before the lair branches in an attempt to find some source of rpois

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 2, 2020

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

SirSamVimes posted:

edit the answer was trying to do elf 3 before the lair branches in an attempt to find some source of rpois

Dang and you cleared Orc, too. I've done this before and I have to say the few times I've just sucked it up and done Swamp, Snake, or Spider with no rpois it's gone better than going to depths or Elf 3. It's usually pretty easy to get swamp dragon armor unless you're gozag.

In other happier games, the Pledge of Madness (can't grab orb until you complete a zig) is completed on Project 357

code:
Araganzar the Archmage (AbAc)                     Turns: 205443, Time: 16:13:43

Health: 288/288    AC: 48    Str: 32    XL:     27
Magic:  60/72      EV: 57    Int: 47    God:    Gozag
Gold:   51314      SH: 20    Dex: 31    Spells: 1/80 levels left

rFire    + + .     SeeInvis +   b - +5 scythe "Finisher" {speed, eviscerate}
rCold    + + +     Gourm    .   p - +3 warlock's mirror {reflect}
rNeg     + + +     Faith    .   X - +7 Kryia's mail coat {DeviceHeal*3 rC+}
rPois    immune    Spirit   .   Z - +5 crown of Dyrovepreva {rElec Int+5 SInv}
rElec    +         Reflect  +   y - +2 cloak of the Eternal Void {MR+}
rCorr    +         Harm     .   t - +2 pair of boots {run}
MR       ++++.     Clarity  +   S - amulet of Vitality {Regen+ HP+15}

You have taken the pledge of Madness.
Spent way too much time prepping, infestation + ignition handled everything pretty handy. Found Kyra's mail coat on Z17 and x3 heals was pretty helpful the one time I got in trouble. Infestation absolutely destroys tomb 3 also, I basically just either moved forward or cast ingestation.

Finisher is probably the best weapon I've used in extended since it's spectral weapon can proc You Explode Now. A huge pain for Gozag, 2500 casts of apportion and probably 40k turns just picking up gold.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 2, 2020

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Dropbear posted:

I heard some dude had won Crawl something like 43 times in a row. How is that even possible, or did he always just run 3-runes with the same builds with easy earlygames? I mean, just today I've had two deaths in floors 1 & 2 where I had no clue what I could have done to prevent it.

First was a floor 1 kobold that came into range & immediately pummeled me to lethal amounts of poison. Drank all my potions, none were curing, dead.
Second was going down the stairs. Sigmund is next to me, follows me back up, dead.

I was a formicid, so -maybe- I could have blinked away from Sigmund if I had that even identified, but still. Seems.. unlikely to not die to a shaft trap or something random in any of 40+ games.

Now that I've played some more games I'm even more baffled how winstreaks like that can happen (cheating somehow?). I've had SO many "oh Ijyb with a wand of acid pops up, dead" or "ogre instantly splats you when you dare to move past a corner" fun moments trying to get characters off the ground it's ridiculous.

The difficulty curve of the game seems pretty weird at the moment. For me, the first levels are downright unfair unless you're running something like a gargoyle. Midgame is easier, and endgame is 99% easy and 1% "oops you splatted a mummy, death curse petrifies you for nine years and you're dead"-stuff.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

why

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Araganzar posted:

Dang and you cleared Orc, too. I've done this before and I have to say the few times I've just sucked it up and done Swamp, Snake, or Spider with no rpois it's gone better than going to depths or Elf 3. It's usually pretty easy to get swamp dragon armor unless you're gozag.

I forgot SwDA was a thing, whoops.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

Thats what you get for not playing online.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Surely you have a scroll for that? Tele, blink, fog, noise? A wand? If not, you walked into shoals unprepared so uh congrats?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Serephina posted:

Surely you have a scroll for that? Tele, blink, fog, noise? A wand? If not, you walked into shoals unprepared so uh congrats?

I am inherently opposed to ever using consumables when I don't need to and they were completely incapable of hurting me so I held the wait key down for like, 3 minutes waiting to see if one of them would stop. They didn't, so I used a wand of flame on them.

i later lost that run to an orb of fire with like 8 runes because I was relying on sustaining Ring of Fire for my fire resistance and it got turned off somehow without me notcing and then I loving blew up

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

cock hero flux posted:

I am inherently opposed to ever using consumables when I don't need to
Sometimes you only realize posthumously that you do need to.

cock hero flux posted:

it got turned off somehow without me notcing
Purple draconians have dispelling breath.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

How do you not notice that you are no longer setting everything on fire by existing?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

How do you not notice that you are no longer setting everything on fire by existing?

everything was still on fire, it just wasn't my fire anymore

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

cock hero flux posted:

everything was still on fire, it just wasn't my fire anymore
Out of context, that sounds a bit maudlin but also pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Speaking of fire clouds, I just got a lovely reminder that when you have Firestarter and a ranged weapon, as soon as you switch weapons the fire clouds will start murdering you again.