Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Taear posted:

Hypatia has been in the afterlife for loads of beremies which is fine sure - but then how do new people enter the afterlife when hundreds of beremies has no relevance to real time but people also enter in real time?

I don't think we know that people enter in real time. If you look at the Jeremy Bearimy drawing, it's a big convoluted loop. The experience of a person in the afterlife would be like the pencil drawing the name in script: a single, continuous line. But if you step outside that perspective, it doesn't reflect the human interpretation of time and experience at all. The amount of lead used to make the line doesn't reflect the space between the loops. Humans, like the pencil, can't conceive of the bigger picture. That's also the basis for the asides about the time knife.

This isn't supposed to make total sense because we, as finite beings with imperfect perception, cannot actually fathom the idea. It's also a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Under the danger of being rude, that's kinda on you for approaching a concept of Paradise and how time might flow there with a hard sci-fi brain. Of course it doesn't fit, it's loving PARADISE. Of course it's gonna seem limiting because it's a limited budget TV show trying to represent what eternal bliss might look like.

To be a bit fair that's what happens when you have a show based around establishing and breaking rules to an afterlife, I guess. It's all fine and dandy until you try to tackle something as undefinable as Heaven and how one might experience it. A lot of people in the thread seem to be confused as to how someone would ever get tired of eternal happiness because...I mean, it is confusing, as is why perfect self-actualized beings might actually choose to stop being. I think you can take that as the message tho, what makes life good and beautiful is that it ends. It's why Eleanor's solution to the Good Place's problem is being able to move on eventually.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Dias posted:

. I think you can take that as the message tho, what makes life good and beautiful is that it ends. It's why Eleanor's solution to the Good Place's problem is being able to move on eventually.

I get that and I think it's a terrible terrible message.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Taear posted:

I get that and I think it's a terrible terrible message.

Again, that's on you. You fall on the exact opposite philosophical stance this series has regarding eternal life. It happens, it's not a flaw, philosophy doesn't have a right answer anyway.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Dias posted:

Again, that's on you. You fall on the exact opposite philosophical stance this series has regarding eternal life. It happens, it's not a flaw, philosophy doesn't have a right answer anyway.

To add a bit to this, basically every single philosophical element portrayed in this show could have a good-faith disagreement about whether the message is "terrible" or not. The show seems consistent about what it's trying to say, to me at least.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Dias posted:

Yea I get that and I'm fine with it.
But I still think the afterlife in the show is very limited and they don't explain how it works with people arriving linearly at the same time as having beremy as a unit of time.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Taear posted:

Yea I get that and I'm fine with it.
But I still think the afterlife in the show is very limited and they don't explain how it works with people arriving linearly at the same time as having beremy as a unit of time.

I think that loops back to what I said, it's hard to conflate physical and metaphysical approaches to time in a way that makes complete sense because it's literally impossible for us to grasp perceiving time in a non-linear way (especially considering a Bearimy stretches thru basically infinity before it loops around on itself). If that helps you rationalize it, I guess you could say the Good Place is the dot in the I, the place where "nothing ever occurs" and isn't behold to the loop, so you experience time in a small stretch of the Bearimy until you are done with your trial and you go there. Bearimys go by but you're never in the loop itself.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Oasx posted:

One small thing that I didn’t like about the finale was the joke that Brent was taking a long time to learn how to be a good person.
It felt like a mean joke considering that the last time we saw him, he finally understood how much of an rear end in a top hat he had been, while the last time we saw Simone and John they were leaving a person to die.

Brent had a brief moment of realization but that isn’t going to make him a good person in and of itself. They pointed out that the important thing was that he had become better by the end of the test even if he was still a long way from being good.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Promoted Pawn posted:

Brent had a brief moment of realization but that isn’t going to make him a good person in and of itself. They pointed out that the important thing was that he had become better by the end of the test even if he was still a long way from being good.

I thought he lost a point

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Promoted Pawn posted:

Brent had a brief moment of realization but that isn’t going to make him a good person in and of itself.

I made my point poorly, what I meant was that since Brent was “cracked” in the seconds before the experiment ended, then it should be a lot easier to figure out how to make him a better person now that the system was worked out. Obviously it will still require a lot of work, the joke just felt a little out of place.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I thought he lost a point

No, he was a bad person until the very end where his numbers skyrocketed but was just 2% away fron improvement

Presumably if he'd had enough time to apologize he might have made it.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I thought it was odd because Brent was shown learning not to say the N-word or call Chidi "my brotha" while Simone didn't change at all - she pretended to go along with her "death hallucination" while gathering information about Eleanor and Michael. Then she was the one who was most adamant about leaving Brent in the hole

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Taear posted:

God dammit I know that, I'm not talking about that at all.
Hundreds and hundreds of years is OUR TIME but they don't have time like that in the afterlife, so either it's infinite time or people are entering there in our time. Hypatia has been in the afterlife for loads of beremies which is fine sure - but then how do new people enter the afterlife when hundreds of beremies has no relevance to real time but people also enter in real time?

It doesn't fit and it makes it annoying to me.

If it was like Narnia say where time just goes slower then sure okay. But it's not, time flows and new people enter in sequence in the same way they die in reality. So Hypatia arrived before Chidi arrived after Henry VIII and etc. Time is linear, but at the same time it's not.

As I said earlier it feels like the afterlife in total is a theme park that has really defined and quite limiting rules, it's not very much of a paradise. Maybe 3000 beremies feels like 2 billion years (and therefore humanity is extinct) but honestly who knows and that makes it harder for me to kinda feel the story.

Your posts suck and you’re missing the point of everything. Stop focusing on the things that don’t actually matter in the show.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

Your posts suck and you’re missing the point of everything. Stop focusing on the things that don’t actually matter in the show.

It's what's important to me. All of that ruins the story, for me.

The way they explain how things work is how the story works and if that falls apart then the story falls apart. Especially since for ages they're focusing on the mechanics of the points even though they just chuck that out and say "oh we'll sort it in the afterlife instead".

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Trying to analyze a show about philosophical, abstract concepts in the same way you would nitpick a sci-fi space show is probably a bad idea. Bearimies were made so the characters of this imaginary place could quantify time as it passes differently from ours; they're just a plot tool to move the plot forward, not an intrinsically detailed made up language from Middle Earth

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I legitimately don't know how to say this politely Taear: the things you're getting upset about aren't important to the story in the least and I cannot imagine caring about them

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
To add to the point that Bearimys don’t matter or they are a loop: Eleanor’s essence helps someone out in the 2010s.
-
I’m slightly annoyed the show comes to the conclusion that “Earth is hosed, let’s make up for it later”, but maybe even their essence retuning can’t make utopia happen on Earth.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

It's just the way it works. It's... it's Jeremy Bearimy. I don't know what to tell you. That's the easiest way to describe it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Nybble posted:

To add to the point that Bearimys don’t matter or they are a loop: Eleanor’s essence helps someone out in the 2010s.
-
I’m slightly annoyed the show comes to the conclusion that “Earth is hosed, let’s make up for it later”, but maybe even their essence retuning can’t make utopia happen on Earth.

That's one issue I did have with the show - when they realized that actually, there hasn't been a mistake or the Bad Place deliberately stealing Good Place-bound people, but rather Earth is now set up in such a fashion that we can't be "good people" (at least by the metrics used) because of the distant ramificaitons of our actions, I kind of assumed they would try to do something about that as well, either by changing the points system to account for it in some way, or by trying to change things for the living. I get why the test plan circumvents that issue in terms of getting points and still deciding more fairly and all that, but I did expect there would be at least an attempt to tell people on Earth "Hey poo poo's actually hosed dawgs, gotta fix things!"

e;

Aggro posted:

That is an astoundingly concise and beautiful way to summarize their endings.

Thank you so much, what a lovely thing to say! :3:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 2, 2020

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ignis posted:

Trying to analyze a show about philosophical, abstract concepts in the same way you would nitpick a sci-fi space show is probably a bad idea. Bearimies were made so the characters of this imaginary place could quantify time as it passes differently from ours; they're just a plot tool to move the plot forward, not an intrinsically detailed made up language from Middle Earth

I understand that it's a way to quantify time passing for them, but as I said - how do people enter the afterlife linearly if that's how time works?
It IS a sci-fi show with a pretty neat sci fi story. That's how I see it and that's how I interpret it.

Arist posted:

I legitimately don't know how to say this politely Taear: the things you're getting upset about aren't important to the story in the least and I cannot imagine caring about them

The entire story is "the afterlife is hosed because nobody has entered the good part of it since the 1450s" but the afterlife hasn't got time so it should mean people who died in 1310 are still coming to the good place right "now". Or right beremy.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, here's a quick artistic take on Jeremy Bearimy.

This is the original drawing. The line above is how humans experience time on Earth: a nice rainbow. Now, if we overlay the human time rainbow on Jeremy Bearimy, we see that it is still a nice rainbow, but you're looking at it left to right, linearly. If you actually follow the path of Jeremy Bearimy, you find that it isn't a nice rainbow and it wiggles back and forth, ultimately looping with a backwards rainbow back to the beginning. This is what the bottom line is supposed to represent (artist's rendering).

So, in the afterlife, our human minds don't understand Jeremy Bearimy, particularly the dot in the i. If you enter the afterlife at cyan, earth time, then you can pop up in about six different spots, with five being close together and one being on the return trip. Since the Bearimys are cyclical, not only are there six places to pop out in one, you could pop out in any Bearimy.

This has been my effort post and effort drawing on Jeremy Bearimy. It makes complete sense and makes no sense at all. My explanation is as made up as how time works in the show, which is to say a total fabrication.

Please do not take this seriously.

E: Really I just wanted to make the pretty picture of rainbow Jeremy Bearimy, and in that facet: mission accomplished.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Taear posted:

I understand that it's a way to quantify time passing for them, but as I said - how do people enter the afterlife linearly if that's how time works?
It IS a sci-fi show with a pretty neat sci fi story. That's how I see it and that's how I interpret it.

The entire story is "the afterlife is hosed because nobody has entered the good part of it since the 1450s" but the afterlife hasn't got time so it should mean people who died in 1310 are still coming to the good place right "now". Or right beremy.

This related to nothing but you should read Brandon Sanderson’s stuff because his brain works the same way as yours

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

PASS THE MASH posted:

This related to nothing but you should read Brandon Sanderson’s stuff because his brain works the same way as yours

I actually meant to say something about the difference between robust magic systems like he writes and plot magic systems like what gandalf does, and why stories that use the latter don't actually work for you if you want to pretend they're the former.

I read an article about it but I can't remember where.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Taear posted:

The entire way it is explained in the show and on the podcast is that the passage of time in the afterlife and especially it's relationship to time on Earth simply doesn't make sense to us. It's not meant to, the show doesn't try to have it make sense, madness lies in trying to make it do so.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Taear posted:

That's at best tangential to the plot and completely unimportant to the things the story is actually about. It's pointless to think about. It's irrelevant.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Arist is right. It's like obsessing over scientific accuracy in Doctor Who. It is not what that show is about or cares about and if you're focusing on that, you are not actually watching the show they made.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

Arist is right. It's like obsessing over scientific accuracy in Doctor Who. It is not what that show is about or cares about and if you're focusing on that, you are not actually watching the show they made.

Yeah, if you really want a SciFi technobabble style explanation then work one out that you like yourself that fits what was shown and just make that your head canon, you can even fit it in from Michael's explanation in the first episode that all the religions got a little bit right.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I was pleased to see they didn't chicken out and flee from the idea of impermanence as the natural state of being.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I'm pretty sure Chidi's response to Michael's explanation of Jeremy Bearimy was "That makes no sense whatever" so the show agrees with everyone in this thread.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Okay, here's how Jeremy Bearimy definitively, conclusively works according to scientific principles. Keep in mind though that some concepts are a bit untranslatable from higher being script.

What we see as cursive writing saying "Jeremy Bearimy" is actually a projection into three dimensional space of a 17-dimensional curve that encompasses not only all time but all space. Now, you may be wondering, how did ⟊⟒⎍⌇ ☊⊑⍀⟟⌇⏁ for any ☊⍜⋔⟒ ⍜⋏ ⋔⏃⋏? This is obviously inconsistent with the ⟊⟒⍀⟒⋔⊬ ⏚⟒⏃⍀⟟⋔⊬, which makes it very difficult to reconcile with the ⟒⌰⟒⏃⋏⍜⍀. Of course, the reason that they never meet duplicates of each other whenever timelines cross is because of the Pauli exclusion principle, which surprisingly applies in the afterlife just as much as it does on earth. However, the ☊⊑⟟⎅⟟ doesn't ⏁⏃⊑⏃⋏⟟ on every ⟊⏃⌇⍜⋏ but simply makes a ⋔⟟☊⊑⏃⟒⌰ . Anyway, this is all to say that ⏁⊑⟒ ⌇⟒⍀⟟⟒⌇ ⎎⍜☊⎍⌇⟒⌇ ⍜⋏ ⟒⌰⟒⏃⋏⍜⍀ ⌇⊑⟒⌰⌰⌇⏁⍀⍜⌿ (☍⍀⟟⌇⏁⟒⋏ ⏚⟒⌰⌰), ⍙⊑⍜ ⍙⏃☍⟒⌇ ⎍⌿ ⟟⋏ ⏁⊑⟒ ⏃⎎⏁⟒⍀⌰⟟⎎⟒ ⏃⋏⎅ ⟟⌇ ⟟⋏⏁⍀⍜⎅⎍☊⟒⎅ ⏚⊬ ⋔⟟☊⊑⏃⟒⌰ (⏁⟒⎅ ⎅⏃⋏⌇⍜⋏) ⏁⍜ "⏁⊑⟒ ☌⍜⍜⎅ ⌿⌰⏃☊⟒", ⏃ ⊑⟟☌⊑⌰⊬ ⌇⟒⌰⟒☊⏁⟟⎐⟒ ⊑⟒⏃⎐⟒⋏-⌰⟟☍⟒ ⎍⏁⍜⌿⟟⏃ ⊑⟒ ⎅⟒⌇⟟☌⋏⟒⎅, ⏃⌇ ⏃ ⍀⟒⍙⏃⍀⎅ ⎎⍜⍀ ⊑⟒⍀ ⍀⟟☌⊑⏁⟒⍜⎍⌇ ⌰⟟⎎⟒. ⊑⍜⍙⟒⎐⟒⍀, ⌇⊑⟒ ⍀⟒⏃⌰⟟⋉⟒⌇ ⏁⊑⏃⏁ ⌇⊑⟒ ⍙⏃⌇ ⌇⟒⋏⏁ ⏁⊑⟒⍀⟒ ⏚⊬ ⋔⟟⌇⏁⏃☍⟒ ⏃⋏⎅ ⋔⎍⌇⏁ ⊑⟟⎅⟒ ⊑⟒⍀ Time Knife ⋔⍜⍀⏃⌰⌰⊬ ⟟⋔⌿⟒⍀⎎⟒☊⏁ ⏚⟒⊑⏃⎐⟟⍜⍀ ⍙⊑⟟⌰⟒ ⏁⍀⊬⟟⋏☌ ⏁⍜ ⏚⟒☊⍜⋔⟒ ⏃ ⏚⟒⏁⏁⟒⍀ ⏃⋏⎅ ⋔⍜⍀⟒ ⟒⏁⊑⟟☊⏃⌰ ⌿⟒⍀⌇⍜⋏. ⍙⟟⌰⌰⟟⏃⋔ ⟊⏃☊☍⌇⍜⋏ ⊑⏃⍀⌿⟒⍀, ⟊⏃⋔⟒⟒⌰⏃ ⟊⏃⋔⟟⌰, ⏃⋏⎅ ⋔⏃⋏⋏⊬ ⟊⏃☊⟟⋏⏁⍜ ☊⍜-⌇⏁⏃⍀ ⏃⌇ ⍜⏁⊑⟒⍀ ⍀⟒⌇⟟⎅⟒⋏⏁⌇ ⍜⎎ "⏁⊑⟒ ☌⍜⍜⎅ ⌿⌰⏃☊⟒", ⏁⍜☌⟒⏁⊑⟒⍀ ⍙⟟⏁⊑ ⎅'⏃⍀☊⊬ ☊⏃⍀⎅⟒⋏ ⏃⌇ ⟊⏃⋏⟒⏁:

⚌. ⟟⋔⏃☌⟟⋏⟒
⚍. ⎎⍜⎍⍀ ⏚⏃⌰⌰⌇
⚎. ⍜⋏ ⏁⊑⟒ ⟒⎅☌⟒
⚏. ⍜⎎ ⏃ ☊⌰⟟⎎⎎

There you have it, a complete scientific explanation of how the timeline works, which is thoroughly consistent with what seems, to the human experience, to be illogical time travel rules made up for a TV show.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Argue posted:

Anyway, this is all to say that ⏁⊑⟒ ⌇⟒⍀⟟⟒⌇ ⎎⍜☊⎍⌇⟒⌇ ⍜⋏ ⟒⌰⟒⏃⋏⍜⍀ ⌇⊑⟒⌰⌰⌇⏁⍀⍜⌿ (☍⍀⟟⌇⏁⟒⋏ ⏚⟒⌰⌰), ⍙⊑⍜ ⍙⏃☍⟒⌇ ⎍⌿ ⟟⋏ ⏁⊑⟒ ⏃⎎⏁⟒⍀⌰⟟⎎⟒ ⏃⋏⎅ ⟟⌇ ⟟⋏⏁⍀⍜⎅⎍☊⟒⎅ ⏚⊬ ⋔⟟☊⊑⏃⟒⌰ (⏁⟒⎅ ⎅⏃⋏⌇⍜⋏) ⏁⍜ "⏁⊑⟒ ☌⍜⍜⎅ ⌿⌰⏃☊⟒", ⏃ ⊑⟟☌⊑⌰⊬ ⌇⟒⌰⟒☊⏁⟟⎐⟒ ⊑⟒⏃⎐⟒⋏-⌰⟟☍⟒ ⎍⏁⍜⌿⟟⏃ ⊑⟒ ⎅⟒⌇⟟☌⋏⟒⎅, ⏃⌇ ⏃ ⍀⟒⍙⏃⍀⎅ ⎎⍜⍀ ⊑⟒⍀ ⍀⟟☌⊑⏁⟒⍜⎍⌇ ⌰⟟⎎⟒. ⊑⍜⍙⟒⎐⟒⍀, ⌇⊑⟒ ⍀⟒⏃⌰⟟⋉⟒⌇ ⏁⊑⏃⏁ ⌇⊑⟒ ⍙⏃⌇ ⌇⟒⋏⏁ ⏁⊑⟒⍀⟒ ⏚⊬ ⋔⟟⌇⏁⏃☍⟒ ⏃⋏⎅ ⋔⎍⌇⏁ ⊑⟟⎅⟒ ⊑⟒⍀ Time Knife ⋔⍜⍀⏃⌰⌰⊬ ⟟⋔⌿⟒⍀⎎⟒☊⏁ ⏚⟒⊑⏃⎐⟟⍜⍀ ⍙⊑⟟⌰⟒ ⏁⍀⊬⟟⋏☌ ⏁⍜ ⏚⟒☊⍜⋔⟒ ⏃ ⏚⟒⏁⏁⟒⍀ ⏃⋏⎅ ⋔⍜⍀⟒ ⟒⏁⊑⟟☊⏃⌰ ⌿⟒⍀⌇⍜⋏. ⍙⟟⌰⌰⟟⏃⋔ ⟊⏃☊☍⌇⍜⋏ ⊑⏃⍀⌿⟒⍀, ⟊⏃⋔⟒⟒⌰⏃ ⟊⏃⋔⟟⌰, ⏃⋏⎅ ⋔⏃⋏⋏⊬ ⟊⏃☊⟟⋏⏁⍜ ☊⍜-⌇⏁⏃⍀ ⏃⌇ ⍜⏁⊑⟒⍀ ⍀⟒⌇⟟⎅⟒⋏⏁⌇ ⍜⎎ "⏁⊑⟒ ☌⍜⍜⎅ ⌿⌰⏃☊⟒", ⏁⍜☌⟒⏁⊑⟒⍀ ⍙⟟⏁⊑ ⎅'⏃⍀☊⊬ ☊⏃⍀⎅⟒⋏ ⏃⌇ ⟊⏃⋏⟒⏁:

We all know how the time knife works, Argue.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Reading around, I feel like too many people are interpreting Jeremy Bearimys as something akin to straight-up linear years (though kinda not helped by the show's denoting the passage of time with them) when they've been explicitly stated to be not that.

For all we know, the crew lived through not just eternity but several eternities doing literally all there is to do in the universe before throwing themselves into the ol' soul mulcher

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Hell is other Good Place viewers.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The Bad Place was the Jeremy Bearimy discussion we had along the way.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Really enjoyed the finale, I think the show overall has been very strong and I'm glad it's done.

I was to be honest expecting the frog guy to be allowed to retire/die or whatever as the excitement of the frogs wears off. Given that the whole premise of the episode was people deciding to go once living has lost it's zest, it was weird to focus on a character growing gradually bored of what they loved most and not resolving it properly (presumably he will eventually grow tired of live frogs as well).

It could hardly have been more explicit that you aren't supposed to care about what Jearimy Bearimy means or how time works in the show. It's completely and utterly irrelevant, and I'm honestly sad for people who can't accept it and enjoy the show. I mean I get it, nitpicking things is fun but the cosmology of the show or whatever has always existed to explore the characters and not the other way around.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I can’t help but wonder where the Good Place architects/thermal vest con artists went after ditching Michael.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

The_Doctor posted:

I can’t help but wonder where the Good Place architects/thermal vest con artists went after ditching Michael.

Just like humans, after a long night of frustration and failure, they go to IHOP.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Did someone who worked on the show ever confirm that the Good Place committee were meant to be establishment liberals/Democrats with decorum brain poisoning?

Just noticed that they were unable to provide paradise because they couldn't think outside the parameters of the status quo which is pretty fitting if so.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jables88 posted:

Did someone who worked on the show ever confirm that the Good Place committee were meant to be establishment liberals/Democrats with decorum brain poisoning?

Just noticed that they were unable to provide paradise because they couldn't think outside the parameters of the status quo which is pretty fitting if so.

Yes, several times in the podcast. The script notes for their first appearance described them as ‘Vermont’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

In the second to last podcast they however state that all of this is due to the state of the good place and them wanting out (which is why they trick Michael)