Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Stux posted:

youll need to clarify again because i have no idea what youre trying to say a rotation in lol would be. by mentioning gangplank do you mean reworking or removing?
They literally removed Gangplank from the game while they reworked him. He was gone for like a week I think. That's the closest analog I can think of for what a "rotation" of heroes would look like, and it never happens in League, more or less. That was my point.

quote:

also i dont feel like there is anywhere near as big a hurdle for a new player in lol from having a smaller champion pool as there is in a tcg when you have a limited card pool vs full collections. theres a gigantic difference there. especially at the skill level of a new player it doesnt really matter about champion metas, everyone is perfectly viable and that stays true up until actual high elo for the most part as well. meanwhile lacking core cards to build viable decks directly impacts how likely it is you will win each match.
Except your ability to acquire "core cards" is vastly increased in LoR because of how many discretionary rewards you get. This isn't blind buy. You don't need to hope and pray that you got a Deny or a Detain or that the pack you opened contained just the thing you were looking for. Expanding the card pool in no way diminishes a new player's likelihood at acquiring the specific cards they want, because wild cards all turn in for the same things. At the skill level of a hypothetical new player in LoR months from now, they will not need to be on the bleeding edge of constructed deck tech right away (much like your comment about League of Legends and every hero being viable), and if they see a deck they want they can build it relatively easily. The idea of a "core card" that you might be missing is nonsensical because you can easily go and get it, and there has been nothing I've seen that indicates that wild cards will, like, only work on specific expansions or whatever; if you're missing Deny, you can get 3-of trivially. You get 6 wild card capsules in the game, right now, just for hitting level 4 in each region. Each one has 5 wildcards in it. That's 30 cards at your discretion that you can get almost immediately for nothing, which will sometimes just also become Epic instead of Rare or Rare instead of Common or whatever. You can get these rewards for completing quests and matches against the AI if you so choose, so you don't have to worry about diving into constructed play on day 1.

If you absolutely have to have a fully rigged constructed deck in your first week of playing the game, that's what the cash shop is for.

e:

d0grent posted:

Yasuo stun/recall decks seem very strong from what I've seen so far, and from what I can tell it's also a good counter to elusive decks. Does this hold up at higher ranks?
My main deck is Yasuo/Zed and it has been rolling recently, especially with the sheer amount of "play dudes and go sideways" decks in the current meta. I'm decently rated in Ranked and it's still holding up. The general feeling I'm getting from the community is that Yasuo is considered off-meta or weak, and that baffles me, so I'd say build it before more people catch on. I hardly ever play other stun/recall Yasuo control/mid-range concepts.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

guts and bolts posted:

They literally removed Gangplank from the game while they reworked him. He was gone for like a week I think. That's the closest analog I can think of for what a "rotation" of heroes would look like, and it never happens in League, more or less. That was my point.

Except your ability to acquire "core cards" is vastly increased in LoR because of how many discretionary rewards you get. This isn't blind buy. You don't need to hope and pray that you got a Deny or a Detain or that the pack you opened contained just the thing you were looking for. Expanding the card pool in no way diminishes a new player's likelihood at acquiring the specific cards they want, because wild cards all turn in for the same things. At the skill level of a hypothetical new player in LoR months from now, they will not need to be on the bleeding edge of constructed deck tech right away (much like your comment about League of Legends and every hero being viable), and if they see a deck they want they can build it relatively easily. The idea of a "core card" that you might be missing is nonsensical because you can easily go and get it, and there has been nothing I've seen that indicates that wild cards will, like, only work on specific expansions or whatever; if you're missing Deny, you can get 3-of trivially. You get 6 wild card capsules in the game, right now, just for hitting level 4 in each region. Each one has 5 wildcards in it. That's 30 cards at your discretion that you can get almost immediately for nothing, which will sometimes just also become Epic instead of Rare or Rare instead of Common or whatever. You can get these rewards for completing quests and matches against the AI if you so choose, so you don't have to worry about diving into constructed play on day 1.

If you absolutely have to have a fully rigged constructed deck in your first week of playing the game, that's what the cash shop is for.

right thats what i thought, but that type of comparison is apples to oranges honestly.

yes its a lot better than literally any tcg and its a good system, but also theres def going to be a marked difference in how well you do compared to someone with a full collection. the early decks are already falling off next to ones that require more investment now. in lol itself this literally isnt a situation with any analog. if you want to take any champion and play them then off you go. in runeterra your chances of winning will be lower until you get some more cards, especially as you will probably need a few weekly rewards to get enough stuff for fully kitted decklists. if they keep adding new stuff and dont either rotate cards or change up the earning speed for new players they will be disadvantaged. itll be no where near as bad as other tcgs have been but it will still exist. your answer to this was that they dont care about new players in lol so probably wont bother in this game either, but they really definitely do care about new players in lol, its a huge focus and theyve made constant changes to help onboard new players, you currently get a pretty substantial amount of free champions, which can also be converted to their full price currency to use to buy other stuff instead. making an alt account now is fantastic because you can quite easily buy up even a decent chunk of the most expensive champs very quickly.

a much better comparison here would be tft, which is a newer riot game and which is, despite appearances, a card game. and their answer there has been... what basically amounts to rotation, by ditching nearly every unit from the first season for an entirely new set of units with new synergies and even new board features. this lets them create a brand new meta without worrying about legacy balancing issues, as well as doing a soft reset on knowledge which gives new players a chance to jump in for the first time while people are relearning what works. its def too early to know what runeterra will do but i think that claiming that riot simply dont care about onboarding new players and so any form of rotation or catch up xp wont happen isnt factually accurate given their other properties, and its much more likely that runeterra will also have attention paid towards how to keep onboarding new players as the game grows.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

1stGear posted:

the full card art in this game

Imagine my surprise when I opened up the art for Shark Chariot and saw that it was actually a chariot drawn by sharks and not just a shark with a rad as gently caress collar called chariot for some reason

Boxman fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 3, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the shark should be on the chariot

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Stux posted:

yes its a lot better than literally any tcg and its a good system, but also theres def going to be a marked difference in how well you do compared to someone with a full collection. the early decks are already falling off next to ones that require more investment now. in lol itself this literally isnt a situation with any analog. if you want to take any champion and play them then off you go. in runeterra your chances of winning will be lower until you get some more cards, especially as you will probably need a few weekly rewards to get enough stuff for fully kitted decklists. if they keep adding new stuff and dont either rotate cards or change up the earning speed for new players they will be disadvantaged. itll be no where near as bad as other tcgs have been but it will still exist. your answer to this was that they dont care about new players in lol so probably wont bother in this game either, but they really definitely do care about new players in lol, its a huge focus and theyve made constant changes to help onboard new players, you currently get a pretty substantial amount of free champions, which can also be converted to their full price currency to use to buy other stuff instead. making an alt account now is fantastic because you can quite easily buy up even a decent chunk of the most expensive champs very quickly.
Early decks are falling off owing to a combination of increased collection sizes but also just familiarity with the game. It speaks to how generous the game is that acquiring both an RDW deck and something more thoughtful, and making them both feature complete, has been more than possible in less than two weeks. I sincerely disagree that there will be a "marked" difference in how well you do compared to someone with a full collection unless you are intending to compete with top-end constructed decks as soon as you press the Install button. Otherwise, there is very little stopping you from acquiring an extremely high amount of free cards and just building whatever you want; the main bottleneck is (and seems designed to be) Champions, and with how limited the cosmetic options are at present I fully believe they expect to make a decent amount of dosh from people shelling out the $10 to 3-of their favorite hero immediately. It's the rarities that would potentially clog up the system, but as long as most decks feature a majority of staples that are Common or Rare, you can expect to be able to field a deck that is competitive within a week of beginning play and that's assuming you haven't spent a dime. That is unbelievably forgiving, and assuming they'll add a rotation to make this even easier beggars belief.

Also, I conceded that Riot cares about new players, but not at the expense of older ones. There are skins in the vault that you can't get unless you were playing back in Ye Olde Dayse or on a specific holiday or during a specific season, and that's by design. They don't give away new heroes on release for new players or make them cheaper for newer accounts to buy. They don't randomly rotate heroes out because they're strong and new players might not have gotten the chance to play with/against them. I haven't been following closely enough, but competitive Overwatch is essentially attempting weekly rotations for their hero pool and people are loving rioting. I'm sticking by my guns here - if they include a rotation at any point in this game's lifespan, it will be to cull the sheer size of the hypothetical card pool, or to deal with power creep, and not because new players have smaller collections. I'll toxx on that.

The goal is to make money. While I'm sure Riot believes they can make beaucoup bucks on cosmetics for their TCG, I have the stronger suspicion that bottlenecking Champions/Epics the way they have was the real money-maker. Do you really wanna grind drafts until you have 3 Yasuos, or do you just wanna spend $10 and have them? By having the cash shop also consist of discretionary rewards, there's basically no reason why (even if you're a new player!) you can't get to making a competitive deck straight off. It just might run you $20 if you start playing in 2021. Seems fine?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also, in all fairness the rotation in TFT made a lot of people (including streamers) furious, and that’s a game where you don’t even own the cards involved.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

what is everyones go to music while playing legends of runeterra?

1) custom playlist
2) regular playlist not made for runeterra
3) podcasts
4) listening to the game music
5) no sound

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I’ve been watching next in fashion while I slam beefy cards into each other. I like card games because I can ostensibly stop playing long enough to do other things. It’s a bit less elegant than hearthstone for that purpose but autopass is a pretty neat mechanic that makes runeterra a bit more autopilotable than it first appears

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

guts and bolts posted:

Early decks are falling off owing to a combination of increased collection sizes but also just familiarity with the game. It speaks to how generous the game is that acquiring both an RDW deck and something more thoughtful, and making them both feature complete, has been more than possible in less than two weeks. I sincerely disagree that there will be a "marked" difference in how well you do compared to someone with a full collection unless you are intending to compete with top-end constructed decks as soon as you press the Install button. Otherwise, there is very little stopping you from acquiring an extremely high amount of free cards and just building whatever you want; the main bottleneck is (and seems designed to be) Champions, and with how limited the cosmetic options are at present I fully believe they expect to make a decent amount of dosh from people shelling out the $10 to 3-of their favorite hero immediately. It's the rarities that would potentially clog up the system, but as long as most decks feature a majority of staples that are Common or Rare, you can expect to be able to field a deck that is competitive within a week of beginning play and that's assuming you haven't spent a dime. That is unbelievably forgiving, and assuming they'll add a rotation to make this even easier beggars belief.

Also, I conceded that Riot cares about new players, but not at the expense of older ones. There are skins in the vault that you can't get unless you were playing back in Ye Olde Dayse or on a specific holiday or during a specific season, and that's by design. They don't give away new heroes on release for new players or make them cheaper for newer accounts to buy. They don't randomly rotate heroes out because they're strong and new players might not have gotten the chance to play with/against them. I haven't been following closely enough, but competitive Overwatch is essentially attempting weekly rotations for their hero pool and people are loving rioting. I'm sticking by my guns here - if they include a rotation at any point in this game's lifespan, it will be to cull the sheer size of the hypothetical card pool, or to deal with power creep, and not because new players have smaller collections. I'll toxx on that.

The goal is to make money. While I'm sure Riot believes they can make beaucoup bucks on cosmetics for their TCG, I have the stronger suspicion that bottlenecking Champions/Epics the way they have was the real money-maker. Do you really wanna grind drafts until you have 3 Yasuos, or do you just wanna spend $10 and have them? By having the cash shop also consist of discretionary rewards, there's basically no reason why (even if you're a new player!) you can't get to making a competitive deck straight off. It just might run you $20 if you start playing in 2021. Seems fine?

i mean yes that is exactly what i mean, because someone with a full collection will be fielding top end decks... even people who suck will run for the most part meta decklists.

thats not true, you can still get them. the relative strength of heroes, with a few exceptions, is something within competitive and high elo and entirely irrelevant for new players and low elo, and you get to just... ban things.

they might not do a rotation, but i would expect them to do something to allow newer players to catch up if their aim is to limit card purchases and also not have the game be grindy. if not a rotation then accelerated xp or unlocks or even at some point making a certain base collection default. but i really doubt theyll just keep expanding and do none of those to help newer players keep up given how committed the games design is from the word go towards not penalising people who cant spend on cards or grind matches all day.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I just won a game because my opponent filled his board with garbage spiders and couldn't play anything for about 3-4 turns. :allears:

Also I watch Psych instead of listening to music. I'm on Season 8 though so I'm almost out of procedural to watch.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also, in all fairness the rotation in TFT made a lot of people (including streamers) furious, and that’s a game where you don’t even own the cards involved.

its pretty much killed the Korean twitch streaming part really after the switch to season 2.

People didn't like watching it and people weren't as invested into it as they were for season 1.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

pog boyfriend posted:

1) custom playlist
3) podcasts
5) no sound

all sounds muted with white noise playing, to best focus my power towards drawing ridiculous top decks

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The fact that your deck can contain a maximum of six of the most expensive tier of card, and sometimes doesn't even want that many, is going to keep the game extremely accessible no matter what else they do. This isn't going to be like mtg or even hearthstone where you can slap together a stack of all the most expensive and powerful cards and roll all the new players who can't hope to compete, because you can build a top tier deck for extremely cheap.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i still think theyll either increase progression rates for newer accounts or similar at some point to avoid the game requiring excessive grinding to fill out a collection. rotation is just one way that you can do that, that also helpfully lets you adjust the meta at the same time.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

redoubled valor is sometimes pretty nice.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

d0grent posted:

Yasuo stun/recall decks seem very strong from what I've seen so far, and from what I can tell it's also a good counter to elusive decks. Does this hold up at higher ranks?

Eh not really, if you're just spending your turn delaying the elusive they are gonna get value, plus you tend to buff the elusives out of range of 2 damage

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Allegedly datamined pictures:

https://i.imgur.com/RC2VOJl.png

Don't know how legit those are.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Big fan of that Vladimir emote, but have doubts about those regional sigils. One of them is Zaun's emblem and while Piltover and Zaun will probably split into their own factions in time, it's probably not happening for a while. The other regions there are Shurima, what looks like a weird off-brand version of the Ixtal emblem, Targon, Bilgewater and presumably The Void/Icathia, though it's a very different emblem than The Void currently uses.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah not convinced by the emblems either.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Yeah, no ring.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
i cant decide what's more broken - omen hawk, hapless aristocrat, or inspiring mentor? Probably omen hawk.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Inspiring Mentor and Omen Hawk can do some heinous poo poo on the right card, like a turn 2 Citheria bumped up to 3/3 really fucks with my usual early game plan of getting at least 4 unblockable damage done with Fearsome spiders.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I mean they're all extremely good value, but broken?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Chain vest is also a much better card than it looks given that 80% of decks will try to vile feast on 2.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you're really going to argue a case for one of them being broken Inspiring Mentor is the easiest, since you choose the card to give the bonus to.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

The most broken cards are the cards good against the decks I play

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

No Wave posted:

i cant decide what's more broken - omen hawk, hapless aristocrat, or inspiring mentor? Probably omen hawk.

The strength of their early game is in proportion to how completely poo poo they are in the late game. An inspiring mentor in your starting hand is fuckin great, but if you're trying to win a board back it's a pretty terribad draw. At least Aristocrat gives a chump block for two turns.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

pog boyfriend posted:

1) custom playlist
3) podcasts
5) no sound

I've been watching Hunter x Hunter (2011) on crunchy roll on another monitor while glancing over briefly to runeterra to play my third Rhasa in a row

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Boxman posted:

The strength of their early game is in proportion to how completely poo poo they are in the late game. An inspiring mentor in your starting hand is fuckin great, but if you're trying to win a board back it's a pretty terribad draw. At least Aristocrat gives a chump block for two turns.

I'd argue any deck really trying to kill you is gonna use some combo of elusive/overwhelm/Burn damage/Fearsome to ignore the road block

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

No Wave posted:

Inspiring mentor, his unskippable 5 seconds monologue annihilates my will to play.
And yeah, chain vest is much better than it looks. Also excellent value if you draw it early with a low cost challenger.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

If you're going to complain about unit buffing, I don't know why you would pick Omen Hawk and Inspiring Mentor and not, say, Avarosan Hearthguard. A 5/5 for 5 that gives permanently +1/+1 to everything else in your deck is loving rough and, unlike the other two, not a complete dead draw later in the game.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Hearthguard is a very strong unit for sure, but playing him on curve can leave you open to some very nasty punishment whereas the 1 drops let you cast other spells / chump blockers afterwards.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Hearthguard is more powerful but considering Inspiring mentor can lead to wins the turn you drop a hearthguard or the turn after I feel it's apple's to oranges

It's similar to how Progress day is a very powerful card but expensive and slow.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Monathin posted:

If you're going to complain about unit buffing, I don't know why you would pick Omen Hawk and Inspiring Mentor and not, say, Avarosan Hearthguard. A 5/5 for 5 that gives permanently +1/+1 to everything else in your deck is loving rough and, unlike the other two, not a complete dead draw later in the game.

It's a good card that matches up with other 5 drops REALLY well, but it's also a beefy card without Overwhelm or Evasive, and the Play effect can take multiple turns to be useful. If you're on the attack on 5 and slam him down, you might be setting yourself to get hosed up by a bunch of buffed spiders the next turn.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

pog boyfriend posted:

1) custom playlist
3) podcasts
5) no sound
If you're gonna play Yasuo and want to play Ezreal decks as your main options you pretty much have to listen to a playlist of every OP from Bleach, not even sure why this is a question, next

The Shortest Path posted:

The fact that your deck can contain a maximum of six of the most expensive tier of card, and sometimes doesn't even want that many, is going to keep the game extremely accessible no matter what else they do. This isn't going to be like mtg or even hearthstone where you can slap together a stack of all the most expensive and powerful cards and roll all the new players who can't hope to compete, because you can build a top tier deck for extremely cheap.
Yep. It's also why I don't get why "starting from the beginning" is bad - you get so much free stuff already at such a fast pace early on that the only way you could not have at least a solid deck to tinker with is if you intentionally spent all your wildcards on garbage and never drafted. I really like the way the reward structure works in this game - you're encouraged to play every faction's reward route until you have 6 wildcard capsules, and by then you a) have enough vouchers to start redeeming towards a deck idea you want to try and b) know which if any Champions you want to run in that deck, so you can mainline that region's rewards to maximize your odds of getting the guy you want. The only thing I can foresee being changed later down the road is the champion capsule/draft rewarding random champions:champion wildcard ratios. As you expand the cardpool, the pain spots are gonna be rewards that aren't discretionary; if you want specifically Elise but now there are 8 Shadow Isles Champions, the capsules will feel significantly worse than they currently do.

Something to consider also is that League of Legends is an existing IP and the most popular game on the planet. There's no way they haven't thought of how best to monetize the investment that fans have in the IP. If they added Lee Sin, Miss Fortune, Ahri... any number of heroes that have remained extremely popular despite reworks or turns spent in the meta dumpster? That's gotta be almost free money, right? I fully expect Legends of Runeterra to attract a subset of casual players who aren't playing the same meta game as former MtG dudes like us at all - they're less concerned with "control" or "mid-range" and more concerned with "I am going to run an Akali deck," due to how they feel about the existing lore and characters and poo poo.

Eraflure posted:

Allegedly datamined pictures:
Oh I wanna inject that Yasuo emote directly into my veins, it doesn't look real but I hope it is

No Wave posted:

None of them are broken

Monathin posted:

I think it kinda depends on who started on the play and who didn't. Playing Zed on curve when you have the token feels awesome, playing him on curve when you don't feels scary, playing him on turn 4 feels pretty bad against some decks. Dropping a 5/5 who buffs everyone else on curve when you don't have the token seems pretty good? Dropping Hearthguard on your turn with the token instead of open attacking with what you had is probably more dicey. I don't play enough Freljord to know for sure.

e:
I'm not sure how many people haven't already done this and it's probably common knowledge, but just in case: turn off auto-pass if you are tryharding. Not to try and rope people or be a dick, but just because there's no reason to give your opponent free information on how much anything in your hand costs at a given moment. There are still a lot of people who don't do this, and when I see instant passes on turn 2 from my opponent that gives me a ton of free info on what you probably have in hand and that's bad. Turn off auto-pass. I just had to tell my friend to do this, so I figured I'd post it here as well.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 3, 2020

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Lower rank people sure surrender a lot on EUW right now. At the half point of a game. It's a free win, sure, but I ain't learning much from that!

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

I'm not sure how many people haven't already done this and it's probably common knowledge, but just in case: turn off auto-pass if you are tryharding. Not to try and rope people or be a dick, but just because there's no reason to give your opponent free information on how much anything in your hand costs at a given moment. There are still a lot of people who don't do this, and when I see instant passes on turn 2 from my opponent that gives me a ton of free info on what you probably have in hand and that's bad. Turn off auto-pass. I just had to tell my friend to do this, so I figured I'd post it here as well.

There's a slight delay on autopass and I sometimes replicate that delay by hand to make people think I autopassed. I've definitely baited a game winning deny out of this. Also I'm a complete sociopath

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Baller Time posted:

Lower rank people sure surrender a lot on EUW right now. At the half point of a game. It's a free win, sure, but I ain't learning much from that!

People are probably farming points last minute for the vaults and then giving up when it feels like it will be too much effort.

I just hit 13 now doing the same thing

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The prize for ranking up is having your dailies take longer/being forced to play a narrower selection of decks. sounds like a bum deal to me!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Eraflure posted:

There's a slight delay on autopass and I sometimes replicate that delay by hand to make people think I autopassed. I've definitely baited a game winning deny out of this. Also I'm a complete sociopath
Auto-pass yomi is next level poo poo. You can mash the pass button if you're holding a Thermogenic Beam at 0 mana so they don't know you have it, or pretend to think over your options when you're at 3 mana in an Ionia deck but no Deny in hand, or simulate an auto-pass when you actually do have Recall/Deny in hand and bait them into dumb poo poo. Truly the best strategy is to turn off auto-pass and commit to the illusion that you have not, in fact, turned off auto-pass