Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

JEEVES420 posted:

FWIW if the item is not on the shelf at a local HD I will not buy it from them.

Could you say a little bit more about this?

Does HD do the Amazon or Walmart thing where 3rd parties are peddling garbage or counterfeit merchandise under the HD name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

B-Nasty posted:

Does HD do the Amazon or Walmart thing where 3rd parties are peddling garbage or counterfeit merchandise under the HD name?

Are you suggesting they're not on the level?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

B-Nasty posted:

Nothing really about the products they offer just the over all experience was extremely frustrating. Items are shipped to the store on their standard delivery day. Things got lost in the truck unload, email notifications that the item was there when it wasnt, half a shipment being delivered to my house requiring me to go pick up the missing items from the store.

One item was damaged in the delivery to the store and took over 2 months to get a replacement (with email notifications every other day letting me know it was ready for pickup). Dealing with the stores customer service who in turn had to deal with the online stores customer service showed me they give two fucks about each other and don't work together. If you buy a tool from their website and need to exchange it, it has to be sent back to the online store and they send a new one for you to pick up.

After several problems and hearing others recount their problems with ordering through the website I just decided its not worth the hassle. I just always check the "In stock" button when finding products on their website. If I do have to buy something online I don't want to have to also put on pants to drive to the store.

I will use their online ordering of in stock items and the pickup lockers. That is a life saver when working on a project and want to be in and out in under a minute for another box of screws.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

taqueso posted:

Transparent tools with RGB when??

e: actually I bet it's really soon, the people that grew up with rgb computers are buying tools now

Razer Deathdriver 4000

bro, check out my sick table saw case mod. i took off all those silly guards so you can see the RGB reflected off the whole blade *lops off three fingers* oh whoops

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

JEEVES420 posted:

Nothing really about the products they offer just the over all experience was extremely frustrating.

Oh, yeah. Don't get me started on their Customer Service desk. The lockers are a nice feature, though.

I did order some rarer circuit breakers from them recently, and one was defective and looked like it had either been used or had been really banged around in shipping (which is possible given it was an unpackaged circuit breaker in a large, Amazon-oversized box.) I only ordered through HD, because I would never trust Amazon with something that has the real potential to burn my house down. A counterfeit Prada bag is one thing, a counterfeit breaker can harm way more than just your wallet.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

tangy yet delightful posted:

I picked up a 48" box level yesterday but having used it once now I'm like why the hell doesn't this thing have a ruler on it like my 24"? Looking at HD's website none of the ones in store yesterday had a ruler but this one does:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kapro-48-in-Exodus-Professional-Box-Level-with-45-Vial-and-Ruler-770-42-48/303636595

Going to order it shipped to store and return the old one. But my wallet is downstairs so I'll do it tomorrow, ~12 hours to tell me how it's actually a terrible idea or whatever for reasons I haven't thought of.

To give a quick product review on this the measurement markings are not etched or painted directly onto the metal of the level but rather appear to be a metal strip glued somehow to the surface. I think for home DIYer use (which mine will be) it should hold up fine but I could see how this setup wouldn't work well for someone doing this poo poo 24/7.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Dewalt has discontinued the 779 miter saw, I guess, for the 780. As a result, the 779 is only $350 for a 12” sliding miter, which is definitely more than I need but at that price it’s hard to argue

Home Depot’s website has it in stock in the morning, $350, I’ve got $300 of gift cards ready to go later in the day, cool cool, two hours later surprise it’s $550 now. Not cool, Home Depot.

It’s still $350 on amazon and at Lowe’s but that doesn’t really help me, except make me want to just hold off and buy one of them sweet Bosch glide saws instead.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I'm seeing it for $399 right now.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Sockser posted:

Dewalt has discontinued the 779 miter saw, I guess, for the 780. As a result, the 779 is only $350 for a 12” sliding miter, which is definitely more than I need but at that price it’s hard to argue

Home Depot’s website has it in stock in the morning, $350, I’ve got $300 of gift cards ready to go later in the day, cool cool, two hours later surprise it’s $550 now. Not cool, Home Depot.

It’s still $350 on amazon and at Lowe’s but that doesn’t really help me, except make me want to just hold off and buy one of them sweet Bosch glide saws instead.

Price Match? Also if it is in stock in the store buy it online and they will pull it for pickup.

I have mixed feeling about the Bosch. While it does let you mount closer to a wall the hinge system wears out over time making for some sloppy cuts and weird kick backs.

That being said I have second guessed my Ridgid as I realized I need 3ft from wall to front of bench.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The Home Depot website is now nice enough to tell me that it is available in stores, but not actually tell me where it’s in stock, so I think I need to just sit on it.

Maybe I should just get a better table saw and not worry about my lovely miter saw for a while instead.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
I don't know about them discontinuing it but the $350 price has been common for most of 2019 at least and probably has nothing to do with whether or not its an end of life item.

I had been looking at that model for awhile but because I wanted to setup a miter station against a wall in my garage I decided to go with Makita's 10'' slider that has the bars in the front not the back like the Kapex. During the holidays they were down to $450 at Home Depot and Amazon.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Any experience with either of the Milwaukee cordless vacs? I'm tired of hauling my big shop-vac to jobs (takes up too much space in the truck) unless I know I need the power (bigger demo stuff).

I have plenty of Milwaukee batteries so it seems a good fit. And can they handle sucking up bits of wire, which is mostly what I'd use it for?

edit - or should I just get one of those bucket buddy things?

Ferrule fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 27, 2020

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
a friend of a friend of a friend passed off his Milwaukee tiltlok circular when he heard I was looking for one, so that's rad. i can't find a safety switch or anything to get this thing running. i imagine there's an extra measure to take with the tiltlok thing, but i feel dumb. what's the deal?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Anyone dealt with a Milwaukee service center for battery replacement? My 3.0Ah M18 pack seems like it might have a dead cell since it acts like it has less runtime than my 1.5Ah compacts. There's also a noticeable drop in power within 10 seconds of use after a charge, and again if I let it sit and "recover". Been using it in my leafblower. I've got a service center pretty much next door to work so I'm tempted to avoid shipping it around.

I should probably just buy another 9 or 12 Ah battery but :stare:

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Ferrule posted:

Any experience with either of the Milwaukee cordless vacs? I'm tired of hauling my big shop-vac to jobs (takes up too much space in the truck) unless I know I need the power (bigger demo stuff).

I have plenty of Milwaukee batteries so it seems a good fit. And can they handle sucking up bits of wire, which is mostly what I'd use it for?

I owned the 18 and 12V Milwaukee vacs. Both great. You won’t be disappointed especially with the power of the 18.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Ferrule posted:

Echoing asdf32, the m18 shop vac is awesome. Good suction, and it will pretty much pick up anything that fits in the hose. Battery life is about what you'd expect for something that is constantly spinning a motor. The Gen 2 also can fit the biggest HO 12 A/h batteries.

Mine currently lives under my toddler's highchair to suck up all the food he throws on the floor.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

B-Nasty posted:

Echoing asdf32, the m18 shop vac is awesome. Good suction, and it will pretty much pick up anything that fits in the hose. Battery life is about what you'd expect for something that is constantly spinning a motor. The Gen 2 also can fit the biggest HO 12 A/h batteries.

Mine currently lives under my toddler's highchair to suck up all the food he throws on the floor.

Lmao. What a great visual.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Does someone make small parts organizers like these but designed to slot into a cabinet instead of stacking? I'd like to be able to get to the bottom box without having to move everything on top.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

taqueso posted:

Does someone make small parts organizers like these but designed to slot into a cabinet instead of stacking? I'd like to be able to get to the bottom box without having to move everything on top.

HF's got you covered if you don't need to store anything super huge. https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage-organization/parts-storage/toolbox-organizer-with-4-drawers-68238.html

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

taqueso posted:

You could always make your own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0--7CZCVngM

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Refurb tools: yay or nay

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

That is a good idea.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I've bought quite a few dewalt bare tool refurbs. Never had a problem.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

taqueso posted:

Why not just put them in the cabinet vertically?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

JEEVES420 posted:

Why not just put them in the cabinet vertically?
[brain exploding gif] huh that's a good idea too, I am not doing great on the imagination today

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

My Rigid refurb tool experience has been very good.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Motronic posted:

I've bought quite a few dewalt bare tool refurbs. Never had a problem.

Slugworth posted:

My Rigid refurb tool experience has been very good.

Great that's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Talk about a come up

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god

if I were a little dumber and a little richer

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Ferrule posted:

I have the compact m18 vac, worth the $100 for it for sure. It is dry only and I use it for cleaning up bits of metal from drilling panels, ceiling tile dust, etc. Everything fits in a 5 gallon bucket for storage.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Have to brag about a score I made yesterday.
I was in Home Despot yesterday looking for something else and came across some discounted Milwaukee batteries.
Specifically these ones:
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/milwaukee-tool-m18-18-volt-lithium-ion-high-output-battery-pack-6-0ah/1001129753
The high output XC 6.0 batts for125 bucks each.

Online it shows them priced at 219$ (cdn) which is kinda weird but whatever. In store they were marked as "179, but discounted to 125" Canuck bucks. Whatever, they're cheap. I almost had buyer's remorse and was going to return one of the two I bought, but after looking up the prices online its cheaper than the places that I usually buy my milwaukee poo poo from. Even beat Amazon's price by about 5 bucks or so.

Came in expecting to spend about 30 bucks plus tax, came out about 330 bucks poorer.....

Just had to brag.

One thing I'm curious about, the yellow sticker cited the reason for the discount as being "slow moving product". Its safe to assume that means that the particular batteries that were cheap had been sitting on the shelf for a long time?

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 2, 2020

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

Have to brag about a score I made yesterday.
I was in Home Despot yesterday looking for something else and came across some discounted Milwaukee batteries.
Specifically these ones:
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/milwaukee-tool-m18-18-volt-lithium-ion-high-output-battery-pack-6-0ah/1001129753
The high output XC 6.0 batts for125 bucks each.

Canadians get screwed on these. An excellent (jump on it) price for M18 batteries is $10/Ah in the states. Home Depot had a deal near Christmas that was HO12 + HD8 for $200. That was a steal if you have a use for the biggest battery.

They're still outrageous, though. I've definitely heard some of the China-special knockoffs on Amazon are pretty decent, but they're just expensive enough that I don't want to risk getting a turd.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

1024x768 posted:

if I were a little dumber and a little richer

That's a slightly different orientation and a little more expensive than mine but I've loved the poo poo out of it for like 10 years now.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

wesleywillis posted:

One thing I'm curious about, the yellow sticker cited the reason for the discount as being "slow moving product". Its safe to assume that means that the particular batteries that were cheap had been sitting on the shelf for a long time?

Probably, do they not have a date of manufacture on them anywhere?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

B-Nasty posted:

Canadians get screwed on these. An excellent (jump on it) price for M18 batteries is $10/Ah in the states. Home Depot had a deal near Christmas that was HO12 + HD8 for $200. That was a steal if you have a use for the biggest battery.

They're still outrageous, though. I've definitely heard some of the China-special knockoffs on Amazon are pretty decent, but they're just expensive enough that I don't want to risk getting a turd.

10bux per AH? Holy gently caress. I should get a passport. Though realistically, I'm pretty much batteried up for a long while. I've got four of the 2AHs and two of the 5AHs. Now with the pair of sixes, and only four tools, one being a work light, I'm probably good until I get a circ saw, or angle grinder.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Probably, do they not have a date of manufacture on them anywhere?

I'll take a look and report back later today.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Took a look. There is a sequence of numbers on the bottom 062318. Probably the date of manufacture. Also checked the serial numbers, they're only a few away from each other..... AWWWWWW !!!! My batteries are like brothers!! :3:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

wesleywillis posted:

Took a look. There is a sequence of numbers on the bottom 062318. Probably the date of manufacture. Also checked the serial numbers, they're only a few away from each other..... AWWWWWW !!!! My batteries are like brothers!! :3:

Hopefully you didn't get the runt of the litter.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

Hopefully you didn't get the runt of the litter.

Good news is when one dies the other will die shortly after, being from the same batch and all.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Speaking of Milwaukee m18 batteries, Home Depot has a sale of 4 XC3AHs for $150: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...UknT633Jo05RXE0

Pretty good deal for those, if you need 4 of the smaller guys.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
the oldest M18 batteries I have are just under 8 years old and still kicking. they aren't 100% by any means but I still get plenty of life between charges out of them. The biggest thing I notice is that my higher amp draw tools aren't as powerful on the old batteries as the new ones but most of the time they're powerful enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I've still got the 2x 3Ah Makita 18V batteries that I got as part of a combo kit as a wedding present in 2009. They don't have the capacity they used to, but they still work just fine. If you take care of them, they last a long time.