Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Social Animal posted:

That game takes half an hour to beat. What did he want you to do? Admire the tiles?

It's been ages, but after you finish the game, you can enter some sort of new game+ with weirder looking enemies and higher difficulty. It's basically a normal mode added in as a nice surprise for kids back then.

Still, even beating the game twice should be doable in slightly under 1,5 hours. Even with hard mode, it's still Kirby, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

When SNES games first got added to Switch, I played through Super Ghouls'n Ghosts and used rewind on the parts that were repeatedly kicking my rear end. It was good. I had fun. But if someone were to ask me "Can you beat Super Ghouls'n Ghosts?" I would say no. At the same time, it's pointless to tell someone that they didn't beat a game "for real" because of them not meeting a certain requirement. "Beat" means different things in different contexts.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

I've been playing lots of ps2 rpgs in pcsx2 lately and I constantly abuse save states.

Was it remotely how the devs intended? gently caress nah.

Did i beat those games? gently caress yea :hai:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
save states aren't cheating though they are just maximising efficiency

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
You guys are missing the point. To them, games are the only form of validity to their lives. They have no hardships in life, so they find it in videogames. It's not about "fun," it's about validation.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

JollyBoyJohn posted:

save states aren't cheating though they are just maximising efficiency

Unless you're only saving state at places where the original game lets you save to avoid load times, it's cheating.

There's nothing wrong with cheating in a single player game, though.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Snake Maze posted:

Unless you're only saving state at places where the original game lets you save to avoid load times, it's cheating.

There's nothing wrong with cheating in a single player game, though.

I mean yeah its not exactly "honest gaming" but its a different thing to putting in IDDQD and being literally unkillable

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I guess it should matter for like world records or something

But those already don't matter

So, like, do what you want

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

My biggest fear for the new AC is that all the shopkeepers and side folks got horribly murdered by the cell phone and crafting.

The fact we haven't seen the Able Sisters, Kicks or any of them has me worried that the stupid cell phone replaced them :smith:
Why have fan favorite characters when you can have a fancy pause menu.

I just want to see them!!!!!!!!!
Kicks sucked and I'm glad he's dead.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Without game genie 6 year old me would have never been able to beat a quarter of the NES games that I played
The ones I liked I came back some years later and beat legit
I use the rewind feature on Zelda 2 and have no shame

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I came in here to see what game I should play on my flight next weekend, but I guess we're debating Mike Matei's high horse gamer opinion? :yikes:

Memorizing ninja gaiden is a weird fuckin thing to kernel your identity around.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think some people use games as a proxy for feeling the satisfaction of applying discipline and perseverance to achieve a goal, while others either have particular jobs or other hobbies that give them that and gaming is just a way to have some fun in their off hours with nothing to prove to themselves or anyone else. In other words, save states for some, miniature Sekiro flags for others.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
If he just said you didn't master the game instead of beat it I think there would be no controversy

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Pretty sure the core mechanic of Braid was rewinding. It just takes the hassle out of creating save states and makes it near instantaneous. Same thing, though.

Mike Matei is only someone because he is friends with someone who used to make funny videos complaining about dumb games and started early enough that he got a following.

Neither of them would be a blip if they got their start ten years later.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

WHY BONER NOW posted:

If he just said you didn't master the game instead of beat it I think there would be no controversy
This.

Obviously, if you reached the end of a game, you beat it, no questions or objections allowed. You finished the game.

You are also worse at the game than someone who beat it legitimately, but literally nobody should care about someone being worse or better at a game than them if they're not doing it professionally or competing directly in some other format.

And the people using cheats and save states are probably people who just want to enjoy and actually finish the game rather than spend days trying to get past a tricky part, so they are not the kind of people who're gonna go and post their results screens on twitter to try and start a dick measuring contest. If they do then sure, tear them down, but until then just let people enjoy videogames, drat.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Obviously, if you reached the end of a game, you beat it, no questions or objections allowed. You finished the game.

Hell sometimes I don't even have to get to the end

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Bulgakov posted:

mr resetti better not be even more sidelined :argh:

According to the devs he has a new job.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's an interesting point in there about how feeling the difficulty as it was intended does take you on the sort of emotional journey that the game was originally planned to have,
There's a defensible argument in there somewhere, but it's compromised by the fact that a good number of NES games were made more difficult compared to their Famicom counterparts to combat the rental market.

Although, honestly, I'd argue that game balancing is quite difficult to get right and many NES games simply weren't balanced. Hence:

SlothfulCobra posted:

Honestly the vast majority of NES games were trash and even the few good ones can be a pain. Don't play NES games.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
hmmmm I wonder when or if Platinum will make their rumored W101 announcements today....

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Al-Saqr posted:

hmmmm I wonder when or if Platinum will make their rumored W101 announcements today....

https://four.platinumgames.com/

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

huh. was hoping for something a little less cryptic but here's hoping this is something cool!

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

wow they're skipping bayonetta 3 and going straight to 4

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I like that Animal Crossing is launching in the Spring because I feel timeline wise that is perfect and allows plenty of build-up to the fall/holiday season and all the fun events that go with that. Spring will be town set-up time and the freetime can be spent gardening and planting foilage. Once we hit summer (and prime bug collecting season!) the town should be filling out. Then, when the colors start to turn to fall my island should be bustling, all leading to a fun Halloween when I can spookify everything and Jack makes his annual visit. Soon after the holidays will descend upon my village and i will have fun decorating my then-mansion for the season.

Ugh, I love AC so much. It's the perfect escape game for me.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

romanowski posted:

wow they're skipping bayonetta 3 and going straight to 4

If the 4 means they're going to announce the fourth game in a series, Drakengard would be the most obvious guess

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

NieR Fourtomata

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Or they're announcing/working on 4 new games, including Bayo 3 and W101. Possibly another NieR as well.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It's probably just going to be announcing the W101 port and showing off the three games they have in development (Bayonetta 3, Babylon's Fall, and Lost Order) with release dates or at least release quarters. There you go, four upcoming Platinum games

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

The Wonderful 4

KIckstarter budget'll do that to you, sorry

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's an interesting point in there about how feeling the difficulty as it was intended does take you on the sort of emotional journey that the game was originally planned to have
I've seen a few recent videos with Hugo Martin of id Software about Doom Eternal where he talks about how he considers it a personal failing that people were able to play Doom 2016 and get reasonably far through it without really engaging with the systems of the game as intended (the case in point being that notoriously incompetent Polygon footage), and that Doom Eternal is not afraid of frustrating the player in order to teach them lessons about how they should be playing. That is the kind of difficulty I like - there's a certain dance you learn, a type of strategy you internalize, and once you do that, you start to feel more in control. On the other hand, there's a kind of difficulty that can only be surmounted by rote practice, muscle memory, and possibly a certain amount of luck. I have like zero patience for that kind of difficulty, and whatever emotional journey might be intended, it probably involves emotions that I'm looking to avoid while I'm playing video games.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Remaster N1eR and release it on the Switch please.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

No, don't

Remaster all the Drakengard games first so you can get the whole story

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Don't remaster anything unless you hire Blizzard to do it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Prop Wash posted:

In the real world this could lead to a fun, interesting discussion about how different the game feels when you use rewind, but it’s Twitter and Twitter is the place where 40-year-old men yell at people about video games

Here's something I'll say about the positives of difficulty: the one most frustrating single moment on my first playthrough of Dark Souls is that bit with the archers. When I got past it, I had this indescribably amazing feeling like a burst of endorphins or a squirt of serotonin, and even though I have the timing down for the archers, I still get that feeling when I get past them. If people playing lovely NES games get hooked on that sort of feeling, I guess I can understand.

Cheats can also work both ways, like how people made mods for Fallout 3 and Skyrim that turned them into harsh survival games, and the same Rogue Squadron that I had to use the level select code on as a kid also had cheats to unlock the more difficult Ace mode.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Waltzing Along posted:

Don't remaster anything unless you hire Blizzard to do it.

:twisted:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Back in my day you had to call the Nintendo Powerline if you got stuck in a game!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Inzombiac posted:

Just play as a cat. That's the fun mode.

This is the correct answer. Prowler for life!

cams
Mar 28, 2003

if you use the fast forward feature to beat final fantasy 8, you are cheating and a failure of a human being. if you're not spending 15 hours of an 80 hour playthrough drawing magic, you're inferior to me!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The only thing that makes me kind of level with Mike's thinking is Mario Maker of all things.

I feel like rewinding and quicksaving made a lot of people get pretty down on challenging themselves and it's something I'm trying to learn with as I create courses in MM2. I feel like my stages are pretty straight forward and in most cases simple. I include a single checkpoint and when I see feedback saying 'why aren't there several checkpoints?" in a 50-60 second level I just get confused.

It's also probably why I don't actually like Kirby's Epic Yarn. Having absolutely no danger of failing just kinda took me out of it :shobon:

It's more of a me thing though so it's ultimately whatever. If people wanna savescum old games sure why not though I do hope said person at least tries to resist it at first :v:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If you happen to have six to eight remotes, Super Bomberman R is one of very few games that will accommodate those numbers of players. It’s a riot at parties and gatherings.

A real loving pity that 99% of the customizable options are locked behind an exceedingly stingey reward system that forces you to replay and replay and replay. You can get by with just the base stuff no problem but you easily have to clock thousands of hours to unlock every single possible thing in this game (assuming you’re not cheesing it, but even that option will cost you dozens of hours).

Japanese game development is one of the more inane things on the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I think the only game I felt a little bad about using rewind was in Pilotwings, which we played in the Retro Gaming thread. I could see how I could get better at it with time and practice, and I think save-states would've been enough to forgo any unnecessary loading screens, but it does get very tempting just immediately fix your mistakes.

I didn't feel bad about it in games like SMB Lost Levels though. Not going to ruin a good run due to a bad jump. I can rewind back to the start for that or even practice the jump a bit and then restart from the beginning. The game moves faster so doing so is not a huge problem.