Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

No Wave posted:

The prize for ranking up is having your dailies take longer/being forced to play a narrower selection of decks. sounds like a bum deal to me!!

joke's on you, i only play one deck right now anyway :smugdog:

Quoting a good post cause I make bad snypes

guts and bolts posted:

Auto-pass yomi is next level poo poo. You can mash the pass button if you're holding a Thermogenic Beam at 0 mana so they don't know you have it, or pretend to think over your options when you're at 3 mana in an Ionia deck but no Deny in hand, or simulate an auto-pass when you actually do have Recall/Deny in hand and bait them into dumb poo poo. Truly the best strategy is to turn off auto-pass and commit to the illusion that you have not, in fact, turned off auto-pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I picked this up last night and I'm enjoying it so far, but man coming from magic's priority system & timing I'm finding it hard to get used to LoR. I keep punting games for no reason other than I expect things to behave in ways they don't or expect to have priority between declaring attacks/blocks and before going to damage, etc.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Hauki posted:

I picked this up last night and I'm enjoying it so far, but man coming from magic's priority system & timing I'm finding it hard to get used to LoR. I keep punting games for no reason other than I expect things to behave in ways they don't or expect to have priority between declaring attacks/blocks and before going to damage, etc.
The weirdest interactions are fast spells imo. If you use a fast spell during the "main phase" and it fully resolves, your opponent gets priority next. If you use a fast spell and your opponent casts a fast spell while your spell is on the stack, they'll still get priority after everything resolves.

This is most relevant with Relentless Pursuit, which is very strong when cast in this situation (as the opponent immediately gets to attack).

The other important thing is that if your opponent declares no blockers you wont get a chance to buff your guys, so if you plan to lethal you generally have to present it on attack.

I think the system is super cool, those are just the two things that confused me the most about it.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I find one of the most important things to remember about this priority system is that its much, much harder for your opponent to respond if you attack as soon as your turn starts.

Like, the closest thing you can get to taking two actions in a row is to play your big, impactful creature right at the end of their turn, and then slam that attack the second control passes to you.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Arzaac posted:

I find one of the most important things to remember about this priority system is that its much, much harder for your opponent to respond if you attack as soon as your turn starts.

Like, the closest thing you can get to taking two actions in a row is to play your big, impactful creature right at the end of their turn, and then slam that attack the second control passes to you.

If you have a solid, winning board when attack priority passes to you, there's no easier way to lose than to play something before attacking.

Try to flex on your opponent and you leave yourself open to be wiped out.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Monathin posted:

If you're going to complain about unit buffing, I don't know why you would pick Omen Hawk and Inspiring Mentor and not, say, Avarosan Hearthguard. A 5/5 for 5 that gives permanently +1/+1 to everything else in your deck is loving rough and, unlike the other two, not a complete dead draw later in the game.

LoR is a heavy tempo game and getting buffs on turn 2, 3, 4 is much more powerful than on turn 6 and on, especially given how much straight removal is priced at a premium in this game. It's why a similar card like Prince Keleseth from Hearthstone was unbeatable when played on turn 2 but fairly mediocre when drawn later. And why a 6 mana Shaman legendary with the same effect was never good.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Is there any way to get "Play:" effects to trigger other than playing the card from hand? I tried to Dawn and Dusk something and was surprised its Play skill didn't trigger. Would cards that read "When I'm summoned..." have triggered?

Does Silverwing Vanguard fill your board or just 2 slots?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

kaschei posted:

Is there any way to get "Play:" effects to trigger other than playing the card from hand? I tried to Dawn and Dusk something and was surprised its Play skill didn't trigger. Would cards that read "When I'm summoned..." have triggered?

Does Silverwing Vanguard fill your board or just 2 slots?
I think so - summons trigger and plays dont. Legion general is bugged though for their play trigger to off again during dawn to dusk.

Silverwing is just 2 slots, ha. Its great with the allegiance dude in "mono" demacia and theoretically the 2/2 elite buffer but no one plays that card.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Arzaac posted:

A large part of deck construction absolutely must consider both how to maximize open attacking and how to punish your opponent for open attacking. This is why I think Yasuo is currently being massively undervalued, because he's one of the most dangerous deck archetypes currently in the game to open attack against.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

No Wave posted:

theoretically the 2/2 elite buffer but no one plays that card.

I play him. :( He's great in potato ranks if you have a hand full of elites and tends to attract removal that now isn't being aimed at my Zed or army of 3/3s.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

1stGear posted:

I play him. :( He's great in potato ranks if you have a hand full of elites and tends to attract removal that now isn't being aimed at my Zed or army of 3/3s.
I dont even know if he's bad, I just literally never saw him. Nobody plays Tianna either and I think she rules.

guts and bolts posted:

A large part of deck construction absolutely must consider both how to maximize open attacking and how to punish your opponent for open attacking. This is why I think Yasuo is currently being massively undervalued, because he's one of the most dangerous deck archetypes currently in the game to open attack against.
Open attacking vs yas seems even more important because there are lots of slow speed stuns (guile, stunspider, yone) and I think only one fast speed. Like what other choice do you have?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

No Wave posted:

The weirdest interactions are fast spells imo. If you use a fast spell during the "main phase" and it fully resolves, your opponent gets priority next. If you use a fast spell and your opponent casts a fast spell while your spell is on the stack, they'll still get priority after everything resolves.

This is most relevant with Relentless Pursuit, which is very strong when cast in this situation (as the opponent immediately gets to attack).

The other important thing is that if your opponent declares no blockers you wont get a chance to buff your guys, so if you plan to lethal you generally have to present it on attack.

I think the system is super cool, those are just the two things that confused me the most about it.

yeah, I don't dislike it per se, I'm just having to unlearn years of mtg conditioning

fast spells are really what keep tripping me up, I'm just used to having that response window in every phase

the fast spell during main phase with opponent responding and then getting to act again immediately also caught me pretty good my last expedition game, although a top-decked rhasa saved me and presumably made my opponent pretty salty since he started roping a bunch

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Tianna posting is the equivalent of horny posting imo.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

No Wave posted:

I dont even know if he's bad, I just literally never saw him. Nobody plays Tianna either and I think she rules.

Open attacking vs yas seems even more important because there are lots of slow speed stuns (guile, stunspider, yone) and I think only one fast speed. Like what other choice do you have?
Yasuo punishes open attacking just with Steel Tempest and Will of Ionia (Decisive Maneuver if you're in Noxus, which you are?) significantly better than most other deck shells punish open attacking. It's still important to do it, but look at the whole host of keywords that shut off on defense (Quick Attack, Overwhelm, Challenger, Fearsome, Elusive). Most Champions also vastly prefer to be on the play or given room to build board state independent of the ones who already lost keywords, like Ashe, Anivia, Heimerdinger, Ezreal, Teemo, Vladimir, Shen. Yasuo is one of the most dangerous deck shells to open attack against precisely because he gets to do stuff that the rest of those cards in a vacuum do not get to do when playing off of the token, and can Deny protect virtually everything that he does.

This isn't to say that you shouldn't open attack Yasuo, it's just that Yasuo gives you choices for dealing with open attacks that a lot of other deck archetypes don't. I think that's a pretty uncontroversial take. Yasuo is one of the Champions I'd feel least comfortable open attacking into, outside of seeing a Regeneration beefgate when my board state sucks and I can't Challenger it.

e:
Like, Back to Back is a great card for punishing open attackers. Decisive Maneuver can be, as well. There are options that exist that aren't Yasuo, but Yasuo will be running 3-ofs Decisive Maneuver and Will of Ionia, and have between 3 and 5 Steel Tempests available if he's on the board. That's an awful lot of "oops, I accidentally open attacked and died." If you're running aggro you have no choice but to throw yourself into the meat grinder of this and then hope you have an answer for Intimidating Roar/Yone, Windcaller/Minah Swiftfoot which closes the game out. I think this is why in the current meta Yasuo is actually pretty good and not pretty bad. The discussion around Yasuo and Yasuo decks has recently been that they are off-meta or even actively terrible, and I just emphatically believe the opposite to be true.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 3, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

they should make autopass mandatory or, preferably, lower the turn timer

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Mandatory autopass would be terrible.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Stux posted:

they should make autopass mandatory or, preferably, lower the turn timer

I've had a couple games where I had like declared attackers or blockers and then passed priority to my opponent, nothing happened for 20-30 seconds and then suddenly we're like three turns ahead, my board is gone and my nexus is at half

maybe coincidence, but that hasn't happened since I turned off autopass

in other news I went 7-0 on my first expedition so I guess it's time to gently caress around and troll with teemo or something

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Eraflure posted:

Mandatory autopass would be terrible.

then make the timer shorter and make it speed up sooner for people sitting it out

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

i had to fight through five teemo decks in my last expeditiom. The final boss used counterfeit copies on his teemo. Personally i think Karma is more fun and makes for crazier games (when offered).

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Notes for the first real patch are out.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

M. Night Skymall posted:

Notes for the first real patch are out.

patches every two weeks be still my beating heart

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

They're doing the same small patch > big patch routine League does as well, where there's a small patch of minor tweaks and bug fixes, then a big patch with the proper balance changes 2 weeks later.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Will they never patch in Nude Dr. Mundo with a huge purple hog?

Or Rusty Blitzcrank????

Hauki
May 11, 2010

No Wave posted:

i had to fight through five teemo decks in my last expeditiom. The final boss used counterfeit copies on his teemo. Personally i think Karma is more fun and makes for crazier games (when offered).

I did get offered Teemo as the second pick, but I ended up going with bustedass barrier nonsense with Fiora & Shen. Undefeated with this one so far too, picked up extra copies of both champions right away.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

While we're on the topic, y'all have any advice for drafting in expedition? My first expedition I was trying to just go for general value picks and it didn't work out too well. Should I instead be leaning as hard into my champions' gimmicks as much as possible?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Arzaac posted:

While we're on the topic, y'all have any advice for drafting in expedition? My first expedition I was trying to just go for general value picks and it didn't work out too well. Should I instead be leaning as hard into my champions' gimmicks as much as possible?
Draft Elusives, Shadow Isles in general, or (apparently?) Teemo

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

1stGear posted:

patches every two weeks be still my beating heart

I'm just starting to remember how slow the patch cycles were for hearthstone, using a digital cardgame to actually change cards within a year? wow, groundbreaking.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 3, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Arzaac posted:

its hard to say. here's my record (first trial wins, second trial wins):
7/1
0/1
1/7
7/6

Outside of that 0 and one of the 7s pretty much all of those were just Demacia goodstuff and my record was just a function of how strong my opponents were (I think i had too many fiora cards in the bad drafts as well)

The best strategies I've dealt with seem to be demacia tempo with elusives, demacia tempo with strong top end cards like Tryndamere, and a deck that can survive long enough to play the rekindler a few times (ruination helps).

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

I only have edit: 3! I only have 3 7 win runs in draft and the easiest came from drafting Shadow Isles with a Prankster and had Hecarim. Took everything that had Ephemeral synergy as well as Ravenous Butchers and all the removal I was offered. I'm not sure that's a real strategy because sometimes you draft Hecarim and they want to give you spiders? I hear? Either way.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 3, 2020

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Just recently did a 7 win run with pure shadow isle thresh/hecarim, mostly focused on chumps and last breath/kill ally effects with 3 scuttlegeist as finishers, real MVP's being cursed keeper and butcher for creating boards of two 3/2 and two 4/4 on turn 3 with a special shoutout to 4 glimpse beyond and mistwraith being a 6/5 of stats for 4 mana with fearsome if you got the allegiance effect.

And special shoutout to the rekindler being crazy good value on any 5+ mana champion so long as you don't draw your deck in the wrong order.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 3, 2020

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Yeah rekindler is insane value. I had a couple games in a row where I would block -> thresh levels up and then dies -> drop rekindler -> swing with thresh and a shiny new hecarim.

Also it can revive the same hero more than once, so a couple times I just dropped a rekindler on their turn, dropped one on my turn, attacked with double hecarim.

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?

Hauki posted:

fast spells are really what keep tripping me up, I'm just used to having that response window in every phase

The thing that trips me up once in a while is that the stack also resolves to completion once both players pass priority. I lost an expedition because I wasn’t able to Glimpse Beyond a chump blocker, resolve, and then Black Spear an unblocked attacker.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I wish they'd hurry up and release it on mobile already, beta or not. Want to play everywhere!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Rekindler would be "fair" value if he revived a 2 mana body or anything bigger then Teemo, you add in 5+ mana champs or frejlord champs and he gets absurd.

Just sad when you draw in the wrong order and your hand consists of all your rekindlers and the champs are buried somewhere deep.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

the card is bizarre. it kind of bothers me as someone who likes playing midrange that SI also gets this enormous midrange value card at 6 mana for some reason that makes everything else just look sad.

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?
He synergizes amazingly with Chronicler of Ruin as well.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Wollawolla posted:

The thing that trips me up once in a while is that the stack also resolves to completion once both players pass priority. I lost an expedition because I wasn’t able to Glimpse Beyond a chump blocker, resolve, and then Black Spear an unblocked attacker.

Yeah, I was trying to go for 'tricky' plays that usually lead to me not getting to do what I intended.

In other news went 6-x with my second expedition, lost the last one to like a million of the 5/4 can't block dudes and I'm almost positive I missequenced something in there. I also got a couple wins off Fiora's ability which was fun, and then my prize box netted me a Fiora for my collection. I ran a few games of constructed last night with the starter decks and did alright, but I don't have anything resembling an actual constructed deck and I'm kinda loathe to start blowing wild cards & crystals without knowing what I want to play. The deck builder/collection interface also makes it a colossal pain to see what I have and how close I am to actually building anything at all.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Reminder that the Vault opens in about 2 hours, so not much longer to rush XP if you need to.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

njsykora posted:

Reminder that the Vault opens in about 2 hours, so not much longer to rush XP if you need to.

Are you in the EU? It's about 10 hours for me (assuming the store reset and vault are at the same time)

:getin:
vvvv

Studio fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

2 hours? My vault says 11.

Is the time the vault opens based on what region you're in, perhaps?