Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I mean, many to most jobs will need some level of staffing in even on otherwise non-working days.

Plenty of the doctors etc would still be working on First Contact Day, because y'know, their patients need them.

There were what, 4 people in that room with F8? That seems like a pretty good skeleton crew for the entirety of utopia planitia.

The replicator line was pretty junk, tbf, they should have at least had one guy defending the changed type of process as his preference instead of just coming across as "the cheap one for the dock workers"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Like, what's the opposite of "world building"? There's got to be a term for contemporising things beyond mere anachronism.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 3, 2020

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I think you can fanwank a better explanation than "they're just cosplayers."

They need to build more ships in less time than they ever have before. Even with the incredible technology of the Federation, there's only so much power available for non-critical systems like replicators. So, sort of like how Voyager, Yesterday's Enterprise TNG and I bet DS9 warships had replicator rations and other non-standard hardships. Basically, the conditions were like that because there was a huge time-crunch and they worked with what they had.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

ashpanash posted:

I think you can fanwank a better explanation than "they're just cosplayers."

They need to build more ships in less time than they ever have before. Even with the incredible technology of the Federation, there's only so much power available for non-critical systems like replicators. So, sort of like how Voyager, Yesterday's Enterprise TNG and I bet DS9 warships had replicator rations and other non-standard hardships. Basically, the conditions were like that because there was a huge time-crunch and they worked with what they had.

Still give everyone Captain Picard Life Day off though, right? ;)

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

DaveKap posted:

"I didn't know Romulans could be so hot."
Pause for laughter.
"Me either."
Pause for further laughter and applause.

Hey, it's the 24th Century, they've evolved beyond finding straight teeth and proper grooming important.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmmm or perhaps the privileged starfleet officers (notice how non-commissioned personnel are always in the background or the stomach of some man-eating alien) were overstating the enlightened classless future. I don't recall a global workers' revolution occurring in the Trek canonical history. :thunk:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I would love to see a list of Federation holidays, there's gotta be like a trillion of 'em.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

They're working a job that happens to be rough for reasons, and when they clock out and go home all their needs are met and they will want for basically nothing.

Sounds pretty good to me.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drink-Mix Man posted:

They're working a job that happens to be rough for reasons, and when they clock out and go home all their needs are met and they will want for basically nothing.

Same but not if you can have the same outcome for NOT having a lovely job, right?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It sounds like that one guy doesn't get to go home and doesn't get to spent time with his family, which doesn't sound to me like his needs are being met. :colbert:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Same but not if you can have the same outcome for NOT having a lovely job, right?

There is nothing in the scene to even imply the job is lovely. Everyone's in excellent spirits, everything's squeaky clean, and all they do is lightheardly bitch about the the new replicators and having to work through a holiday. But like in a low-key, not actually complaining sort of way. "Blue collar" or "industrial" doesn't necessarily add up to "lovely."

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Hey, it's the 24th Century, they've evolved beyond finding straight teeth and proper grooming important.

There you go, fill it out yourself.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Each of them should have been having sex with a four breasted alien Just to make sure we understood they were having a good time.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Romulan Seth Cohen is hot ok.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

I like that we're seeing all different types of Romulans. We've seen those that look just like Vulcans like in TOS and the movies, and more ridged ones like in TNG/DS9/VOY, and some that look like ST09. We've had varying degrees of Klingons for a long time, so it's nice that Romulans aren't as homogeneous either.

Look at TUC. There are tons of different Klingons with all levels of ridge, from Chang who doesn't have much ridge at all and is very pale, to those that would fit in perfectly with TNG.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
14 worlds is 10% or even more politics wise.
https://intl.startrek.com/database_article/united-federation-of-planets
CANON, BITCH!
Probably vulcans, andorians and tellarites having the biggest weight here. All three do hold quite some grudges against RSE back from old days.

Anyway that was entertaining to read the last page, although you guys forgot that the fact that Picard didnt bring any evidence and was almost hubris (hubristic? is that even a word?) shows that he is indeed a seasoned diplomat with over 300 confirmed kills first contacts and diplomatic achievements but...He hasn't been doing interviews or any meaningful social interactions on his level for almost 20 years. He is rusty af, old grumpy man with high standards and is still living (in his mind) in his prime years.
Maybe the writers will explore this side of him? How he regains back all what he lost and shows federation that he still can and should be treated with all respect. Also poking them that they were wrong, again :v:

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist

nine-gear crow posted:

Voyager also showed thar Gre'thor also literally exists and B'lanna had to go there to send her mother's soul to Sto'vo'kor. So the Klingon afterlife is real too.

Also Picard died and went to heaven and found out that Q was God... and then immediately started arguing with and insulting him.

Just watched this one last week! So, after she flatlines to save her mother's soul, her ma says, "Yes, we'll see each other in Sto'vo'kor...or when you get home." So B'Elanna's oxygen-starved brain recognized it was just an hallucination in order to deal with unresolved mommy issues.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Drink-Mix Man posted:

There is nothing in the scene to even imply the job is lovely. Everyone's in excellent spirits, everything's squeaky clean, and all they do is lightheardly bitch about the the new replicators and having to work through a holiday. But like in a low-key, not actually complaining sort of way. "Blue collar" or "industrial" doesn't necessarily add up to "lovely."

I'd be almost fine with that scene if the replicators didn't look exactly like lovely microwaves complete with the bell when the food is ready.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I'd be almost fine with that scene if the replicators didn't look exactly like lovely microwaves complete with the bell when the food is ready.

Literally unmodified off the shelf 3d printers including the yellow UL warning stickers and visible screws and poo poo. :sad:

Far worse than the Hoth ice cream machine (which was totally redeemed by the Mandalorian)

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

AntherUslessPoster posted:

14 worlds is 10% or even more politics wise.
https://intl.startrek.com/database_article/united-federation-of-planets
CANON, BITCH!
Probably vulcans, andorians and tellarites having the biggest weight here. All three do hold quite some grudges against RSE back from old days.

Anyway that was entertaining to read the last page, although you guys forgot that the fact that Picard didnt bring any evidence and was almost hubris (hubristic? is that even a word?) shows that he is indeed a seasoned diplomat with over 300 confirmed kills first contacts and diplomatic achievements but...He hasn't been doing interviews or any meaningful social interactions on his level for almost 20 years. He is rusty af, old grumpy man with high standards and is still living (in his mind) in his prime years.
Maybe the writers will explore this side of him? How he regains back all what he lost and shows federation that he still can and should be treated with all respect. Also poking them that they were wrong, again :v:

Oh it's CANNON, BITCH! is it?
The thing about canon is I've always thought it was a nice little detail for themed trivia, etc... but the text always supersedes it. Otherwise you're stuck adhering to every terrible little detail established in some 90s tie-in novel, or even just bad choices in earlier shows.

Admiral Whatsherface says "Thousands of other species depend upon us for unity, for cohesion", that's a direct quote.

But oh wow, if we're allowed to bring canon into it, The Federation's response seems even more hosed up.

Here's a list of canonical shipyards:

quote:

The following is a list of Federation shipyards and other starship development sites, as well as maintenance and repair facilities. In addition to the facilities listed here, most larger starbases and outposts were also capable of repairing and building ships.

40 Eridani A Starfleet Construction Yards
Antares Ship Yards
Baikonur Cosmodrome
Beta Antares Ship Yards
Copernicus Ship Yards
Deep Space 5
Earth Station McKinley
Iadara colony
Luna Shipyards
Marin County Starfleet Yards
Oakland Fleet Yards
Proxima Maintenance Yards
Riverside Shipyard
San Francisco Fleet Yards (also known as "San Francisco Naval Yards" or "San Francisco Yards")
Starbase 47
Starbase 234
Tranquility Base
University of Copernicus
Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards

Plus there's also the entirety of Starfleet, those ships weren't on Mars. Kind of makes that whole not giving any assistance thing a bit more monstrous, don't you think?
It's not like the Romulans were ever implicated in the attacks if you were going for that 9/11 analogy.

I'm happy to stay within the confines of the show, and if the show tells me something I'm going to take their word for it.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 4, 2020

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

EvilTaytoMan posted:

It's the late 24th century and their matter-replicators look like easy bake ovens and people use them to make reheated swanson's hungry man dinners

so relatable

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It felt at best, unimaginative to me. At worst, incongruous with the setting.

Everything about the location, their dress, they way they speak, the type of complaints, the food, etc... everything is coded as "working class 21st century dock worker."
Like sure, you might know that they've got great health care and don't really get paid, but show that scene to someone who's never seen Star Trek and ask them what social class or economic status they think they have.
They're coded as 21st century dock workers, most likely because it was the easy way out.

This doesn't = show bad, but that's what sticks out as lazy world building to me anyway.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

Everything about the location, their dress, they way they speak, the type of complaints, the food, etc... everything is coded as "working class 21st century dock worker."
Like sure, you might know that they've got great health care and don't really get paid, but show that scene to someone who's never seen Star Trek and ask them what social class or economic status they think they have.
They're coded as 21st century dock workers, most likely because it was the easy way out.

This doesn't = show bad, but that's what sticks out as lazy world building to me anyway.

So what would your shipyard scene look like?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

So what would your shipyard scene look like?

a Star Trek one? I dunno, people overseeing great machines assembling towering hulls. Science officers pulling up schematics, cool tricks with force-fields and transporters, stuff like that.
If they wanted to include androids, I guess they'd be in small access spaces like jeffries tubes, entering hazardous areas around warp cores etc...

I mean, are my Star Trek writing credentials really important? I see we've entered the "you can't have criticism without also being able to do" phase.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Lizard Combatant posted:

Oh it's CANNON, BITCH! is it?
The thing about canon is I've always thought it was a nice little detail for themed trivia, etc... but the text always supersedes it.

Thats why we stopped arguing about lore a few pages ago, it was just a trivia tidbit and the science bitch meme was backing it up https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/013/034/yeahsciencebitch.PNG :v:

Lizard Combatant posted:

Maybe it was added to make workers more human, more down to earth and relatable?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Thats why we stopped arguing about lore a few pages ago, it was just a trivia tidbit and the science bitch meme was backing it up https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/013/034/yeahsciencebitch.PNG :v:

Hey that's cool, and I'm not attacking you I promise. I got the Jesse bit.
But I've been trying to keep the scope of my focus on the show. I don't want to nitpick issues by drawing on 40 year old canon, when there's stuff in the here and now to talk about.

quote:

Maybe it was added to make workers more human, more down to earth and relatable?

Sure, but I've never had an issue relating to characters in fantastical or future settings or professions before? All I said was that it was unimaginative.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lizard Combatant posted:

I laughed way too hard at this

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I laughed way too hard at this

gently caress, I'm glad someone did. That took 7 minutes I'm not getting back.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

DaveKap posted:

"I didn't know Romulans could be so hot."
Pause for laughter.
"Me either."
Pause for further laughter and applause.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Lizard Combatant posted:

On behalf of myself and my friends, thank you so much for this.

This is honestly who I thought I saw at first and it really doesn't help anything.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

They obviously cast a person from discoSpock look alike contest. People who liked DIS were :fap: all over the new Spock.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Whole lotta people real angry over some crooked teeth

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Nah he's a good actor and a handsome dude. But that beard... It's gotta go.

Like reverse Disco Spock, he desperately needs to keep the beard.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Well one person.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
TV IV > ... Star Trek

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Whole lotta people real angry

:hmmyes:

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Admiral Whatsherface says "Thousands of other species depend upon us for unity, for cohesion", that's a direct quote.

I'd note that she's not specifically saying there are thousands of species in the Federation - there's probably plenty of species like the Bajorans who are dependent on Federation aid and assistance but aren't members and may never become members.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Angry Salami posted:

I'd note that she's not specifically saying there are thousands of species in the Federation - there's probably plenty of species like the Bajorans who are dependent on Federation aid and assistance but aren't members and may never become members.

This feels like a distinction without a difference, in context

And it's unclear at best

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Maybe, certainly sounds like a hell of a lot more than 150 though. Like, tell those 14 to take a hike if they don't like humanitarian (for lack of a better term) missions. And if they are core members of the Federation as has been suggested, well that's just further evidence that there's there's been a major shift in their ideology in the years Trek's been off TV.

Again, it feels weird to have to try and argue that the Federation ain't what it once was when the show is going out of its way to hammer that home. It's part of the story.

Does that maybe make it uncomfortable to relate to Admiral "We get to decide which species live and die" ?

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 4, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lizard Combatant posted:

Maybe, certainly sounds like a hell of a lot more than 150 though. Like, tell those 14 to take a hike if they don't like humanitarian (for lack of a better term) missions. And if they are core members of the Federation as has been suggested, well that's just further evidence that there's there's been a major shift in their ideology in the years Trek's been off TV.

Again, compare how much America changed ideologically from 2000 to 2020. Grab someone from the day before George W Bush was elected and drop them off on the day before Donald Trump was elected and they've have a brainsplintering meltdown over it. It stands to reason a much vaster political entity like the United Federation of Planets could have even vaster ideological swings over the same time period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

nine-gear crow posted:

Again, compare how much America changed ideologically from 2000 to 2020. Grab someone from the day before George W Bush was elected and drop them off on the day before Donald Trump was elected and they've have a brainsplintering meltdown over it. It stands to reason a much vaster political entity like the United Federation of Planets could have even vaster ideological swings over the same time period.

Thank you! At least that's not "I don't think the Federation's really changed". It is a big swing.

Me, I was saying I didn't think such a swing was properly motivatied.

A lot of other folks were just unhappy that this was the premise the show was going with. And were getting weird replies like "oh it's basically the same" in response.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 4, 2020