Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AYPWIP
Sep 19, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

Gouf Flight Test Type: a very strange suit but can be really good in the right hands, unlike most Supports it's geared towards harassing and distracting the enemy team, or in other words it is basically the inverse of the Zudah or GM Camouf who are basically a Raid and a General respectively who have a kit more oriented to a Support playstyle

(The Flight Test type is also a general. Though I wouldn't say no to the 'true' Gouf Flight Type with the gatling shield being released as a support...)

Edit: I'm also hoping we'll eventually get the option to swap to space controls for suits that have a flight mode or transformation. I've got boost on L1 and jump on X when on land specifically to make it easier to boost and move the right stick at the same time, so suddenly having to use X to ascend when flight mode is active is a pain in the butt.

AYPWIP fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

AYPWIP posted:

I eventually get the option to swap to space controls for suits that have a flight mode or transformation. I've got boost on L1 and jump on X when on land specifically to make it easier to boost and move the right stick at the same time, so suddenly having to use X to ascend when flight mode is active is a pain in the butt.

In about two weeks, we can solve this for about $30. Everyone seems to swap L1/X, but I also swap L2/O for symmetry, and turning both into paddles for space would actually be really cool.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

AYPWIP posted:

Edit: I'm also hoping we'll eventually get the option to swap to space controls for suits that have a flight mode or transformation. I've got boost on L1 and jump on X when on land specifically to make it easier to boost and move the right stick at the same time, so suddenly having to use X to ascend when flight mode is active is a pain in the butt.

Jump + ascend on X and crouch + descend on square is what I use since it makes sense.

Anyway, I'll vouch for the Gigan: it's slow and cumbersome and a bit difficult to defend yourself with if you end up in a 1v1 against a Raid, but it has a good cannon for stuns with a relatively good rate of fire, and the arm gatling absolutely destroys Generals, so you're good in anything other than that scenario.

Said gatling has surprisingly long range, so you can safely play the Gigan from just behind your blues and contribute a lot of damage to fights because people will generally ignore the trashcan plinking them with MG fire while they're busy dodging bazooka stunlocks.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I don't get why people change their controls when you can just Crab Claw Monster Hunter Style.

Serious though, I hate double tapping shoulders.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Has anybody gotten any hate messages after matches? Some guy called me a coward after a match last night and I don't know who he was or what I might have done to make him mad.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Zushio posted:

Serious though, I hate double tapping shoulders.

:same: but I'd rather be able to boost and steer at the same time.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Has anybody gotten any hate messages after matches? Some guy called me a coward after a match last night and I don't know who he was or what I might have done to make him mad.

I got one from a Japanese guy calling me a noob for defusing the bomb he planted at the last possible second, costing his team the match.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Can all the goon groups post their discord and can we have that added to the OP?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

I got one from a Japanese guy calling me a noob for defusing the bomb he planted at the last possible second, costing his team the match.

I'm pretty sure the proper response to that one is "I'm the enemy, you idiot!"

AYPWIP
Sep 19, 2017
Every message I've ever gotten calling me a noob (usually for for using <insert non-favoured suit here>) has been from someone on a team I just beat.

The flip side is that every time I've been in a lobby and someone on my team has demanded that I (or another player on the team) change suits to something more meta-favoured, the player making the request has been godawful at the game - usually one of those 'Ima charge in blindly on my own and feed the enemy team some points, then spam "support me!" as I get slaughtered' players.

There seems to be a distinct personality type who has that sort of reaction, is what I'm getting at. :shrug:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lemon-Lime posted:

:same: but I'd rather be able to boost and steer at the same time.

This is the correct decision. Being able to boost and steer/aim at the same time is a super important ability even beyond the obvious fine control it gives you, because there's a fair number of suits with weapons that are usable while boosting that let you fill what would normally be dead air time with DPS. On most suits this is just vulcans, but still - there's a lot of suits with very good vulcans, especially suits like the GP02 and the Gundam mk2 which have machine gun grade vulcans.

On a couple of select suits, boost-and-fire is a core part of the suit's gameplan. The BD-2 and the BD-3 can boost and fire chest missiles, which means that both of them can stagger the opponent while boosting without stopping - this is especially terrifying on the BD-2, since it has maneuver armor, which means that a well-piloted BD-2 careening into a support is virtually unstoppable by said support. The G-Line Light Armor can fire its titanic burst damage missiles while boosting, giving it a monstrously unfair burst damage combo - beam rifle, slash combo into knockdown, boost back while firing missiles for 3000+ damage, swap to saber, down melee.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Though it's not popular, I have my boost mapped to left stick click in. Dodging takes a bit of getting used to but it's also the best way to take advantage of forced injector 8 way movement in space.

Also I want to add to the Gouf Custom chat that its power comes from how hard and often the gatling stuns. I almost always get top damage using it by sticking with a general at close range while peppering and boosting in with melee on a stagger, which the gatling will give you 2 to 3 of per clip. Super powerful and good.

AYPWIP
Sep 19, 2017
Wouldn't work for me, as I tend to accidentally put too much pressure on the sticks when under stress.

For about three weeks a few months ago I thought my game was glitched out because the list of teammates kept disappearing and reappearing in the middle of matches.. Then I checked the controls settings and was reminded that L3 is the default control for showing or hiding UI elements. :v:

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
So the new suit this week is the Super Gundam. Just managed to roll one. It's a 550 Space only support. It's sort of a weird suit. It's got an insanely powerful charging long beam gun, and a 24 ammo locking micro-missile launcher. It's melee is not as good as the GP04's, nothing to close or escape with. However, it has a dummy asteroid launcher which appears to be sort of like a mine I guess. Also, it has lots of abilities that reduce back damage which makes sense I suppose. It has a metric ton of equipment slots as well.

None of the available game modes allowed for it to be deployed so I haven't used it yet, but I wonder how it'll stack up to the GP04.

AYPWIP
Sep 19, 2017
We've got a whole batch of balance changes coming up, too. Nerfs to the Hildolfr and the Assault Guntank (so keep that in mind before you buy one from the ticket store), buffs to the G3 Gundam, both Z'goks and the Zudah F... Plus a crapton of minor buffs to level 3 and 4 versions of suits to keep them competitive at higher points ranges.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AYPWIP posted:

We've got a whole batch of balance changes coming up, too. Nerfs to the Hildolfr and the Assault Guntank (so keep that in mind before you buy one from the ticket store), buffs to the G3 Gundam, both Z'goks and the Zudah F... Plus a crapton of minor buffs to level 3 and 4 versions of suits to keep them competitive at higher points ranges.

Oh poo poo, the Gouf Custom's gatling does 25% more damage now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So those buffs definitely helped their suits a lot. The Gouf Custom can now do quite respectable ranged damage when you can't get a melee opening, and the Full Armor Gundam Type B readies and shoots its big cannon much faster, making it very safe and easy to fish for stuns at range and follow up with a double-tap from your beam guns.

Incidentally, what's the best way to use the Xamel? Its cannon has lots of ammo, but seems a little too weak, inaccurate, and slow-firing to be the only way you should dish out damage.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Oh poo poo, the Gouf Custom's gatling does 25% more damage now.

The Gouf Custom's wrist machine guns got buffed, not the gatling.

AYPWIP
Sep 19, 2017
"Hey guys, between the Mk II, the GM II, the Nemo, the Hizak, and people rediscovering the GM Custom, we've released a LOT of vanilla blues in the 400-500 cost range recently. And now we've got the GM Quel, which is the most vanilla blue in the history of azure-tinted crushed vanilla beans. How do we mix things up?"

"Why don't we make it a red?"

"Brilliant!"

...Having said all that, I kind of want one. I've made my love of suits with grenades clear enough in this thread, and I'm also a sucker for suits that have both man-armour and a dodge roll. It also helps that the Quel is a near-perfect mix of all the design features I like about the later GM variants (the GM Custom comes close to perfection, but I hate the shoulders and the default colour scheme).

Plus it's not like anyone's going to know you're a raid until they shoot you and see the damage number come up, so you get the benefit of surprise!

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
There does seem to be a back up of those types of suits at 400-500, but I guess it figures.

Tomorrow’s grunt suits were yesterday’s Ace suits.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

AYPWIP posted:

"Hey guys, between the Mk II, the GM II, the Nemo, the Hizak, and people rediscovering the GM Custom, we've released a LOT of vanilla blues in the 400-500 cost range recently. And now we've got the GM Quel, which is the most vanilla blue in the history of azure-tinted crushed vanilla beans. How do we mix things up?"

"Why don't we make it a red?"

"Brilliant!"

...Having said all that, I kind of want one. I've made my love of suits with grenades clear enough in this thread, and I'm also a sucker for suits that have both man-armour and a dodge roll. It also helps that the Quel is a near-perfect mix of all the design features I like about the later GM variants (the GM Custom comes close to perfection, but I hate the shoulders and the default colour scheme).

Plus it's not like anyone's going to know you're a raid until they shoot you and see the damage number come up, so you get the benefit of surprise!

It also has two stuns if you equip the GM II beam rifle, as it also has a flash bang

AYPWIP
Sep 19, 2017
Incidentally, in case anyone else missed it, Bamco has just announced a PS4 port for EXVS Maxi Boost On sometime this year (including a US release).

They'll obviously hold back on porting EXVS-2 until they've finished milking it in the arcades, but I honestly prefer the more cell-shaded look anyway.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I always hope one of these will have a UC mode like Gundam VS Zeta Gundam, but I am always let down.

Still, if we get a substantial goon presence going I will probably buy it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Genuinely did not expect the Zudah with the Zaku MG to chew through enemies as effectively as it does. It's a really effective ranged harasser.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Lately I've been enjoying taking a L2 Zaku Flipper (350) into Mix-Up matches. It's a shooty Raid that will muck with other Raids trying for the Stealth suit approach, has a metric gently caress-ton of staggers to harass/disrupt Generals, and hits hard enough against Supports to still be able to grief 450+ cost ones into oblivion.

My Support of choice to bring into those matches at that same cost point is the Guncannon SML or the Desert GM (if Ground). The SML's missiles will absolutely melt through Generals' health regardless of cost and the BR can still put out some hurt even when uncharged. As for Desert GM, it's hard to argue against the utility of a Heavy Stagger even if it isn't plinking for massive damage. Raids are still going to eat you for lunch, but it doesn't really matter what you take because a Hyaku Shiki (the Raid du jour in most Mix-Ups I've played) is going to kill you no matter how high cost your Support is - so you might as well make it something that damages your team's bottom line less.

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
I have a level 2 flipper too and's my go to raid at that range. The problem is the range and speed of the melee. Mech Kung fu is kinda hard to use. I was using the Gigan level 2 as my space support then tried out the GM Cannon (Space Assault Type). For 250 points you get a rocket launcher, cannon and a beam spray gun. And you just annihilate all the bluezukas in space at that range.

AYPWIP
Sep 19, 2017
If I'm reading this correctly, then next week between Thursday and Sunday we'll have access to a single ten-spin with a guaranteed 3-star suit - i.e. the equivalent of the tier 3 step-up campaign reward. So it might be worth saving up this week if you're a freeloader like me so you can hit the 30 tokens for the 10-spin by Sunday week.

(Also one free roll per day for three days)

Several map changes in today's update - notably a new "sunset" mode to the launch base in which one of the satellite/missile thingies actually takes off. New suit is a blue variant (**) on the Full Armor Gundam.

Edit: (someone else's) footage here.

AYPWIP fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 30, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What are the good high-cost machinegunners? The Zaku Kai is a superb all-rounder (decently tough, decently agile, has an arsenal of easy-to-use weapons that are well-matched with each other's cooldowns) that always feels like it's contributing, and I was wondering what does the same thing (or a similar thing) at higher levels.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Anything with a big ranged boost for its cost. But at higher costs most suits are using beam weaponry or bazookas. They might have a machine gun (or something similar) as a sub weapon but you really shouldn’t be using it as your main source of dmg.

Zaku 1 commander, Zaku 2 heavy arms, GM Cold Districts. The Zaku 1 Sniper sort of with the long barrel machine gun, Gigan.

At higher levels, the Gouf custom, pale riders, heavy gundam (technically these guys aren’t machine gunners, they have huge rotary cannons).

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Darth Walrus posted:

What are the good high-cost machinegunners? The Zaku Kai is a superb all-rounder (decently tough, decently agile, has an arsenal of easy-to-use weapons that are well-matched with each other's cooldowns) that always feels like it's contributing, and I was wondering what does the same thing (or a similar thing) at higher levels.

At the very upper end of cost there's the Dom Barrage, which is a support which a big gattling gun, and also the BD-3 which can sport the Modified Machine Gun which is so good on the Armored GM.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, a high-capacity beam rifle would be fine too. Just anything where you can lay down a steady rain of accurate fire and then switch to something that makes big booms while you reload.

AYPWIP
Sep 19, 2017
At 350-400 the Pale Rider Cavalry fits your requirements fairly well. I also love the Zaku II S-type at 350 where it's basically a Zaku II Kai with man armour on top of the dodge roll.

There's a real shortage of good machinegunners in general slots at 450+. If you're willing to play supports, the Heavy Gundam sounds right for you: alternate a gatling gun with a ~4k damage cannon, and it's got a beam sabre plus balancers (no-one ever expects those on a support!) so you've got decent self-defence.

Unfortunately the machinegun used by the GM II/Custom/Nemo is awful due to its very wide scatter pattern. If that gun was any good, a number of high-cost general machinegun suits would immediately become a lot more viable (I'd love it to be good enough for my 500-point Powered GM to do the sort of damage you'd expect from a 500-pointer...).

Valhawk mentioned the Blue Destiny 3 machinegun loadout, and I've actually been trying to make that work for a while. It's underwhelming, unfortunately - you just can't get the sustained DPS. So far I've found the best way to use it is to drown it in reloader parts and let the micromissiles do most of the work through spike damage as well as stuns, which is far from ideal.

Finally, this week's banner suit - the FA Gundam Ground Type, a general - ticks a bunch of your boxes at 450-500. It has a very low-heat beam rifle that can put out shots fairly consistently, a micro-missile bank that I'm seriously hoping gets nerfed sooner rather than later (that flinch-lock effect is not okay), and a cannon for stuns and combos.

AYPWIP fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 3, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The GM Cannon II is another good high cost candidate for a machine gun using suit

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

AYPWIP posted:

Unfortunately the machinegun used by the GM II/Custom/Nemo is awful due to its very wide scatter pattern. If that gun was any good, a number of high-cost general machinegun suits would immediately become a lot more viable (I'd love it to be good enough for my 500-point Powered GM to do the sort of damage you'd expect from a 500-pointer...).

???

The GM Rifle hits insanely hard, easily topping 250+ per bullet on the heavily ranged tilted units against advantage. It has a huge scatter pattern, but that just means you fire it in short controlled bursts - 3-4 shot squeezes will hit every bullet at mid to long range and do incredibly respectable damage(600-1000 per tap) due to how loving strong it is per shot relative to, well, every other MG in the game. It's really terrible if you try to just lean on the trigger like most MGs, so don't do that. If you're up super close you can dump the mag and just eradicate people.

The real failing of the GM Rifle isn't that the gun is bad, because it absolutely isn't, it's that most suits that can mount it don't have any real secondaries to lean on besides vulcans, and being an MG suit with no reliable staggers starts becoming a harder and harder sell as you go higher in cost. At higher cost pure MG boats don't fly because suits are so fast that you can't really maintain that steady close-mid neutral game situation you need to make your MG chip damage pay off because a 400+ suit is simply going to blap you with some form of stagger and zoom 100 meters at you with their ultra-high speed and cut you up rather than let you sandpaper them down.

The GM Cannon II is a sublime GM Rifle suit, because it has a strong, reliable stagger that lets it safely do a ton of work with the rifle.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

At 300 and 350 the best Machine Gun suit is probably the GM Cold Districts Type, it's machine gun is basically a chainsaw at close range, and it having a Grenade Launcher means you'll be able to either stun someone to setup you unloading your gun into them or to keep the pressure up while you reload

The only real flaw of the suit is that 1) it's kinda fragile and 2) it's ground only(and so far is the only suit to use it's gun)

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
At 350 I'm definitely partial to the Armored GM Lv. 3 w/ the Modified Machine Gun. With the Armored GM's relatively high mobility and dom-style movement plus emergency evade you can fairly effectively hover just at the edge of range and just steadily sandpaper away an enemies heath. If you play it right, even if they manage to stun you, by the time they get over you'll have time to hit a dodge roll to get out of harms way. Also, it's great against raids used to rushing bluezookas because you can move back fast enough that it you can kite them long enough to empty an entire clip of machine gun fire into them.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
The GM Rifle can also be tamed somewhat with use of the AD-ASL, which is worthless for all other contexts. The correction is very bad on that rifle by default, to the point that it may as well not exist, but with some boost it's a lot safer. Still not good for full-auto, but being able to get more than three bullets out before it starts firing wild is a positive.

On the other hand, I honestly loathe the 100mm Machine Gun (Modified). Each bullet does a lot of damage, but the rate of fire is even lower than the standard 100mm, so it takes forever to actually do any appreciable damage. This is fine if you're just kiting a melee raid around with your speed, but even a Gouf Custom is going to be fighting back with its much higher burst Gatling Cannon, and despite the name the Armored GM is made of paper.

AYPWIP
Sep 19, 2017

Kanos posted:

???

The GM Rifle hits insanely hard, easily topping 250+ per bullet on the heavily ranged tilted units against advantage. It has a huge scatter pattern, but that just means you fire it in short controlled bursts - 3-4 shot squeezes will hit every bullet at mid to long range and do incredibly respectable damage(600-1000 per tap) due to how loving strong it is per shot relative to, well, every other MG in the game.

...Which adds up to a massive hit to your sustained DPS. The end result is adequate but unexciting on the GM Cannon II where you've got type advantage working in your favour two-thirds of the time, a cannon to pick up the slack and combo off of, and a Support's allotment of long-range slots to make every hit sting or squeeze in that remedial AD-ASL.

But on Generals, unless the entire enemy team consists of the more delicate types of Raid, a GM Rifle's just not going to put out enough damage regardless of whether you're doing careful taps (fewer bullets flying) or full auto (fewer bullets hitting), and you're bringing virtually nothing else to the table outside of that damage and the occasional opportunistic beam sabre hit.* I just had a game where I spent five minutes teaching a slow-learning Kampfer not to leave cover with controlled bursts, and my total match damage didn't quite crack 30,000 - because 600 per tap on burst fire is only marginally better than playing a Gyan Eos and only using the beam gun. With a basic bullpup my range would drop by about a third, but I can guarantee much higher sustained damage due to the lack of downtime both from reloads and from not having to let go of the trigger.

*I do agree that the GM Rifle blue suits having no backup weapons is a real problem. Give the Nemo its sealant launcher and I may mollify my opinion somewhat, depending on how well that works out.

Edit: And yeah, the 100mm Machine Gun (Modified) is too drat slow. Kinda weird that an elite customised weapon is virtually identical to the baseline Zaku MG.

AYPWIP fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Feb 3, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Just clawed my way from C- to C by repeatedly carrying pubbies very, very hard with Gerhart Schmitzer's Zaku. Whew. Last victory that got me across the line, I think I was the only one to beat my rival.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Nice. I've been stuck on the border of B+ and A- for a week or two now. I get right up to the line, but can never quite get over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What does increasing your rating get you, anyway? I've never been all that sure.