Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The Mario's; ranked:

1. Super Mario World
2. Super Mario 64
3. Super Mario Odyssey
4. Super Mario Bros 3
5. Super Mario 3D World
6. Super Mario Galaxy 2
7. Super Mario Bros 2
8. Super Mario Sunshine
9. Super Mario Galaxy
10. Super Mario Bros
11. Super Mario Bros Lost Levels

Not counting remakes, handheld games, spinoffs, SMM, or NSMB. Almost all of them are real loving good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i like 3d land more than 3d world

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I know some of the best games of all time were released for the n64 but I never liked the muddy blurry visuals of it

I played hundreds of hours of Goldeneye with friends and when they released a high rez version for xbox live or whatever that service was it was great but going back to the original is painful now

A cleaned up HD collection of the best n64 games would be amazing

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Spikegal posted:

Super Mario 64 was great when it came out and aged horribly since. Most games for the 64 have.

I'm not even a very big Mario fan (Sonic4life) but Mario 64's movement system holds up insanely well and is still one of the best for a 3D platformer ever devised.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The gameplay of those games is still awesome today - I loved the WCW wrestling games from that era too

It's alright to think the visuals are dated though because most of the n64 art styles didn't hold up nearly as well as like a 2d sprite based art style would or whatever

Mario 64's visual style held up a lot better than most of the N64 games though

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The best thing about Mario 64 is that talking about the more advanced techniques people use for speedruns and stuff makes you sound like a crazy person

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

MJeff posted:

I'm not even a very big Mario fan (Sonic4life) but Mario 64's movement system holds up insanely well and is still one of the best for a 3D platformer ever devised.
Are we archenemies over the Sonic thread I forget

I am also sonic4life though, to me no modern mario game approaches the pure joy that is mania

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

The best thing about Mario 64 is that talking about the more advanced techniques people use for speedruns and stuff makes you sound like a crazy person

It's great that even decades later speedrunners are still finding new secrets and shortcuts in games people have played all those years

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

never liked the original sonics because as a platformer it doesn't exist and as an enjoyable speed rush game it keeps loving with you every 1-3 seconds. and then after those games when they went 3d sonic became so low rent, lovely, muddy looking and muddy controls. piece of sh*tnic

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
my girlfriend makes fun of me for pronouncing Mario like "marry-o" instead of "mar-ee-o" but i'm from a place where people are actually named Mario and nobody calls them mar-ee-o

Mario 3 is the best Mario game, because it was the first one where everyone felt right and made sense.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Spiderdrake posted:

Are we archenemies over the Sonic thread I forget

I am also sonic4life though, to me no modern mario game approaches the pure joy that is mania

Friend, I will never be enemies with another Sonic fan. Unless you liked Sonic 4.

Cavauro posted:

never liked the original sonics because as a platformer it doesn't exist and as an enjoyable speed rush game it keeps loving with you every 1-3 seconds. and then after those games when they went 3d sonic became so low rent, lovely, muddy looking and muddy controls. piece of sh*tnic

Sonic 1 is a great first level and then it's honestly kind of a really weird, janky, bad game, but Sonic 2 and 3 are loving awesome and I disagree with your analysis!!!!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Watching Discovery, and its actually good? People on this show def read the old FASA sourcebooks. The era of spaceboat fights is ending and these are the people in its twilight. Six episodes in and almost no Big Speeches On The Bridge. A lot more action oriented, but given the setting it makes sense. But I guess after what the gently caress ever that poo poo Enterprise was, all bets are off on what makes a trek show a trek show. The teleport drive gimmick is a bit much tho.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

mario is pronounced mario

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Mario Mario and Luigi Mario The Mario Brothers

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

MJeff posted:

Friend, I will never be enemies with another Sonic fan. Unless you liked Sonic 4.

Sonic 1 is a great first level and then it's honestly kind of a really weird, janky, bad game, but Sonic 2 and 3 are loving awesome and I disagree with your analysis!!!!
Sonic 4 is real, legit bad. Especially the episode where you gently caress tails to do special moves or whatever the gently caress that was.

S3C and Mania are masterpieces.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mario 64 is one of very few games I play through on a yearly or a semi-yearly basis. Which, now I'm thinking about it, I've never compiled a list, so, in chronological order, for nobody who will care...

The Legend of Zelda
Goonies II
Wing Commander Privateer
Myst
Riven
Mario 64
Uplink (though this only takes a couple hours)
Some fuckhead stole my copy of Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow, but that was one.
Fallout: New Vegas (Replaced Fallout 2)

What a weird collection of games.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I remember thinking Privateer was the coolest thing ever but I can't even remember why. Every spaceboat game that promises to be that has been a miserable experience.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i like finding decent weapons and hoping to find more as my stuff breaks but some body should tell me where to get some good swords early on in zelda. it should be one of you who aren't in the games forum, being able to remember exactly where you found good weapons, early in the game.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I remember if you climb up a path where a river meets a cliff, there’s a giant fire sword. It’s up in a cave inside the cliff. It’s down the way from the first stable.

I don’t think this is helpful; I have failed you I’m sorry

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm going to find the fire sword. i already climbed a hill and found an eight something blade and then went into the town shrine and got another couple of swords. i'm going to have plenty of supplies, for a short while

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Find a Hinox they got a bunch of stuff dangling off of them. There's also a colosseum-type place that has a bunch of elemental weapons, but there's a lynel at the bottom so watch out.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

we're all doing it together

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I just want to say that Super Mario 2 is awesome and so are all the doki doki panic characters that got adopted into the world of mario because of it

I loved it though I wish it had a save feature because that game is way too long.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Super Mario RPG da best video game

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
BOTW is so goddamn good. My second play through I barely touched the story for like fifty hours, just smashing rocks and slamming shrines and making my hero’s path highlight the screen.

If it’s your first playthrough, I envy you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Drew McIntyre posted:

my girlfriend makes fun of me for pronouncing Mario like "marry-o" instead of "mar-ee-o" but i'm from a place where people are actually named Mario and nobody calls them mar-ee-o

Mario 3 is the best Mario game, because it was the first one where everyone felt right and made sense.

He says "Mar-ee-o" and it's disrespectful to knowingly mispronounce his name.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i heard that people hear the voiceactor saying whichever one they say, because it's actually an in-between sound having to do with the accent even though it sounds like the one that we automatically think/hear.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I heard that from god.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

My Mario rankings:

1. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the 7 Stars
2. everything else

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

My Mario rankings:

1. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the 7 Stars
2. everything else

:hmmyes:

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i got 120 stars in 2 hours 25 minutes and 18 seconds tonight which puts me in 88th place on the emulator leaderboards which is the nazi number so i have to try hard and do better next time

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

yea ok ends up in 14th place, weeps inconsolably.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Would you guys be okay with me typing out a general account of what is going on with me/why I am so upset atm? I feel like it would do me some good to write it all out but I don't want to turn this thread into a LiveJournal if it's going to annoy anyone.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

I have never played a Souls game but would like to start. I have Dark Souls 3 on Steam, but I've been thinking of getting Remastered on Steam or Switch. Any thoughts?

Start with remastered, the bosses on 3 will absolutely wreck you and may turn you off the game entirely. Remastered is mechanically perfect, eases you into all the soulsbourniro concepts great.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Would you guys be okay with me typing out a general account of what is going on with me/why I am so upset atm? I feel like it would do me some good to write it all out but I don't want to turn this thread into a LiveJournal if it's going to annoy anyone.

I say go for it. Typing it all out alone could help. I really hope it gets better for you soon, I enjoy your posting.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Yes. Please. Please do anything that makes you feel less hopeless than you do right now.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Hey man, whatever helps you organize your thoughts/gets you in a better headspace. We got you bro.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

bro i talk about every movie that i watch when even the people that reply to it couldnt give a poo poo. post your heart out

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

go fer it big time. i just took a long piss off a short pier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

We're here for you