Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Wrenchnecks are Truckfucklers, Shoot'n Scooters are drive by shooting enthusiasts, Regular-hoarders have huge hoards of stuff left out in their yards, on their porches, in tumbledown sheds, Riverbottom Barefoots are fish'n folk, and Jerry's. . . We don't talk about Jerry. . .

Oh so a guy who has some jacked up truck using hockey pucks or some other non Osha DIY method. Shoot'n Scooters like to shoot at mailboxes and road signs I hope, they're not gunning down your dog. The Regular Hoarders should have been obvious, I watched enough American Pickers episodes. And I assumed Riverbottom Barefoots are people who go swimmin' without their shoes on because the bottom of every American river is full of rusty metal and other junk just tossed in there.

The Hockey Puck Lift thing is real, a friend of mine was hit by one that the pucks cracked suddenly and the truck was now off center and wham! Right into his hood. The redneck who did it seemed to not understand that he was at fault when the cops showed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
sounds like you've got it! i'll also ad that riverbottom barefoots, at epic levels, become so pregnant with parasites that they cannot be surprised and are immune to mind-control effects. they can also telepathically communicate with all other riverbottom barefoots at a radius of ten feet per class level.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

sounds like you've got it! i'll also ad that riverbottom barefoots, at epic levels, become so pregnant with parasites that they cannot be surprised and are immune to mind-control effects. they can also telepathically communicate with all other riverbottom barefoots at a radius of ten feet per class level.

That's on land. When in the water, they can communicate much farther.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
there's a Supernatural Feat which allows for complete physical dissolution, you basically turn into an equal weight of worms which then reform in 1d4+1 days

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They're on a first name basis with all the leeches and saw the dragonfly's first day at school and their high school graduation.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

out of all the forms of Hillbilly i grew up with, firebugs had the lowest probability of making it through their teen years alive or even with both eyebrows. Wrenchnecks a close second but only because they usually find out about nitrous then immediately cross class into firebug.

If the "in Loving Memory" stickers on the backs of pick up trucks are any indication, the vast majority of those people are named Cody.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Wrenchnecks are Truckfucklers, Shoot'n Scooters are drive by shooting enthusiasts, Regular-hoarders have huge hoards of stuff left out in their yards, on their porches, in tumbledown sheds, Riverbottom Barefoots are fish'n folk, and Jerry's. . . We don't talk about Jerry. . .

Gold star!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mozi posted:

he was a racecar driver... just one too many cold bars one night

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

chitoryu12 posted:

Please ensure that the jar is not inserted.

But thats the easiest way to do it! Its what I was trained on 20 years ago and I never had any problems.

loving gov and bullshit regulations. At least Trump will cut some if this red tape.

(glass jar breaks in rear end in a top hat because I was trying to save time to keep the boss happy)

WorldsStongestNerd fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 3, 2020

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

But thats the easiest way to do it! Its what I was trained on 20 years ago and I never had any problems.

When will they learn that mason jars need to come with flared bases.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Bad Munki posted:

I don’t need no company man telling me how to drop my turds, my father was a turdfuckler, and his father was a turdfuckler. Some day my son will be a turdfuckler too and I’ll be damned if I’m going to let some clown get in the middle of our turdfuckling experience, we know more about the real world of turdfuckling than some pencil pusher from corporate who’s probably never fuckled a single turd in his life

Okay, but do you have an over-the-top moto t-shirt that expresses this idea in five different gothic fonts and a lot of inexplicable skull imagery?

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
If we're going on a toxic tour of Australian towns we might as call on our old friend asbestos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wittenoom,_Western_Australia
"During this time, thousands of workers and their families, visitors, tourists, consultants and Government officials were exposed to potentially lethal levels of blue asbestos almost a thousand times higher than occupationally regulated at the time [1948 -1966]"

"It is predicted that by 2020, almost a third of the people who passed through Wittenoom during the mines' operating years would be diagnosed with a fatal disease caused by their dangerous exposures to blue asbestos."

https://www.news.com.au/news/tourists-flock-to-australias-chernobyl-despite-health-risks/news-story/7d78d1594c1cadb10e44d6beb77d5a61
"Workers shovel raw blue asbestos tailings into drums at an asbestos shovelling competition at Wittenoom in 1962"

Everything dark-grey in this photo is asbestos

(looking around, it seems like directly link images instead of re-hosting is now accepted, but if not please let me know and I'll edit. I don't know where to ask and it's been long enough it's become awkward)

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Asbestos is 100% Natural© Vegan® and Fair Trade™

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

loving gov and bullshit regulations. At least Trump will cut some if this red tape.

(glass jar breaks in rear end in a top hat because I was trying to save time to keep the boss happy)

Okay, the last sentence reminded me of this wrestling video of ways guys have hurt themselves. "He ripped his anus" is #2 at the 5:45 mark. Nothing :nws: in the video, but the description is :nms:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQMxZa0QaAw

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

HelleSpud posted:

If we're going on a toxic tour of Australian towns we might as call on our old friend asbestos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wittenoom,_Western_Australia
"During this time, thousands of workers and their families, visitors, tourists, consultants and Government officials were exposed to potentially lethal levels of blue asbestos almost a thousand times higher than occupationally regulated at the time [1948 -1966]"

Isn't this a Midnight Oil song?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Okay, but do you have an over-the-top moto t-shirt that expresses this idea in five different gothic fonts and a lot of inexplicable skull imagery?

I’m a turd-generation turdfuckler, I don’t need a shirt, I’m the real deal

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Xaintrailles posted:

Thusly?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Xaintrailles posted:

Dr Drew has been campaigning for this change for years now.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

LifeSunDeath posted:

Asbestos is 100% Natural© Vegan® and Fair Trade™

Asbestos still gives me the willies, because it seems like the PERFECT loving THING until you get to the 'it slices your DNA strands causing horrible lung cancer'. Its incredibly easy to mine and collect, super malleable and easy to form, cheap as hell to handle (again not counting the lung murder), is an almost perfect fire-break material for brake pads, engine bays, children's mattress, etc etc, like its SO loving convenient and great.

And then everyone who touches it or barely breathes in a material or microscopic amount of it dies horribly from lung problems. WELP.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

My wife saw me watching a CSB video with headphones on and started mocking me for it. I showed her Deadly Contract and now she's hooked.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Mozi posted:

Or like how we all decided BPAs were bad, but nobody ever asks what it was we replaced BPA with and if that is even worse (guess what).

BPS which is an analog of BPA. Same estrogenic properties but has a different name.

It's epoxy. If we didn't use it, you'd be drinking plain old aluminum every time you had a drink from a soda can or opened a tin of peaches which is far worse for you.

When the first BPA study came out, my Mom and Dad freaked out on me and made me buy BPA free bottles for my kid. They wouldn't leave me alone. They made me buy new Nalgene bottles. They made me buy new replacements for every single thing that used BPA in it. They even made me buy stuff labeled BPA free that didn't use BPA in the first place.

Grandparents of your kids are not to be trusted. They will bully you into doing it. They will wear you down like wind and time.

I'm pretty sure that the BPA study was somehow funded by Nalgene to make every hippy buy new water bottles.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

HelleSpud posted:

there's a horrifying genre of safari documentary where journalists go to these old asbestos mining towns in full PPE gear and interview a bunch of people just standing around in asbestos dust, gasping for breath as they go on about how safe they feel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaHw_bGI2ME&t=642s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy3piCUPIkc

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

Isn't this a Midnight Oil song?

Yep, Blue Sky Mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofrqm6-LCqs

good song.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

zedprime posted:

He has a Revigator if I remember right. Its all alpha and when ingesting anything coming out of it you'll probably feel the heavy metal leaching out of the glaze before anything radiation related.

There is actually quite a bit of beta, and a little gamma. The real hazard from these old urns is the fact that they produce Radon gas, which is easily inhaled. Luckily for me, my house was built in the 1950's, which means that it is sealed about as well as a screen door. We will never experience a toxic buildup of Radon.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Icon Of Sin posted:

It's ok, Fort Wainwright has you covered for the US. The state of AK considers an entire neighborhood on-base to be a superfund site, after construction workers accidentally dug up buried waste from the 40's and 50's.

https://dec.alaska.gov/spar/csp/sites/fort-wainwright/

https://cumulis.epa.gov/supercpad/SiteProfiles/index.cfm?fuseaction=second.ous&id=1001146

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Wainwright#Taku_Gardens

I'd bold the exciting parts...but this entire paragraph is :stonk:

e: every military base that existed around WWII is probably like this, and given how slowly change happens in the military...I'd imagine there are more bases on the Superfund list than not :(

e2: lmao holy gently caress, a complete list

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Military_Superfund_sites

My dad served a Chief of Safety at one of the bases on that list (Norton Air Force Base) for 10 years. Part of the trouble he had to deal with was toxic materials that had been dumped decades before. Any construction was likely to expose earth loaded with chemicals of one sort or another. There was also a concrete bunker located somewhere on the base, nobody seems to recall where and the records were lost, where they dumped hundreds of gallons of glow-in-the-dark, Radium-based paint. Great fun.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Who's gonna shave me?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/KqeoK8N.mp4

There's a nuke in that semi.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the player is failing that GTA mission if they're just watching it pass.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kith posted:

watch the truck following the trailer at the 12 sec mark

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

lilbeefer posted:

What about fly spray. I cannot work out why the gently caress it is used. It literally kills living things with chemicals, why are people ok spraying it around their house? If the bug is upsetting you that much just swat it or step on it or something idk

A lot of on-contact sprays affect insects through the scientific magic known as LD50

Chemicals that can have a near-instant effect on bugs need a much larger dose to affect people, unless you're a microperson generally aged by measure of months, in which case a lot of things can kill you, and for more reasons that simply an LD50

longer-lasting insecticides involve a similar exposure, but require ingestion, something that you'd only get if you've sprayed on or near food, or you've been on your hands and food prepped, or you eat with your feet(!!!). Insects clean themselves thoroughly, usually the antennae, and that casual surface transfer is enough to murder tiny insect bodies. Upward concentration means that insect predators end up ingesting them in minute amounts, which accrue into a long-term poisoning, which either die or are themselves prey, and the process continues.

HelleSpud posted:

(looking around, it seems like directly link images instead of re-hosting is now accepted, but if not please let me know and I'll edit. I don't know where to ask and it's been long enough it's become awkward)

Hotlinking is preferred to be run through hosting sites, which usually have a convenient "copy URL" option if you want to be considerate, but some places are hotlink-friendly, like anything akin to social media. At least that's my understanding, YMMV.

Kith posted:

RIP any municipality on that route in terms of road maintenance. Military vehicles sometimes have obscene weights(uparmoring doesn't help), and in a tight convoy like that, they can do some damage to roads and smaller bridges.

Can't make out the warning on the tire cover. I suspect something about keeping a distance?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kith posted:

i googled some stuff and

quote:

Very interesting security on these bad boys. The convoy is usually led by local police, because they know their area the best, to guide the way and keep communication with the local law enforcement if something happens. There are always trucks in the front and sometimes back, each with 1-2 US Marshalls in them, they will have sidearms, and their job is to be the sirens and get people out of the way, as well as be logistical support and deal with any minor problems along the way, such as nosy cars trying to get into the convoy or people blocking the convoy. They will stop to detain people trying to mess with the convoy, but usually hand them over to local police before rejoining the convoy. Following the US Marshalls are the armored trucks, with full armor and bullet resistant glass, and hatches on the top to shoot a gun out of while driving. These trucks will contain DOD soldiers in full body armor and military fatigues, armed with fully automatic rifles. They are the quick reaction force, and each truck will have from 8-12 soldiers in it. In the event that an actual attack occurs on the convoy, these trucks will stop and deploy soldiers to directly engage the threat. This brings us to the actual warhead carrier truck and trailer itself. The truck is driven by two highly trained drivers, who are probably also armed with sidearms. They take 6 hour shifts driving to prevent fatigue. The truck has some capabilities controlled by the driver, but most of the security fumctions are controlled by a remote station, so the drivers just drive. If the truck goes off course without authorization, suddenly stops somewhere it isn't supposed to, somehow gets overrun by hostiles, or if anyone tries to get into the payload trailer, the engine self destructs so the truck cant be driven, and the axles of the wheels of the trailer and truck self destruct so that nothing can move. In addition, the electronic mechanisms within the actual warhead self destruct so it can't ever be used again. Finally, the trailer where the warhead is kept is quickly filled up with cement via a hardening foam so that nobody can acess the warhead for the plutonium inside. The trailer is heavily armored so it can't be easily punctured from the outside, and the truck is also armored. Lastly, a military helicopter follows above the convoy. The helicopter usually isn't armed, and is only occupied by the pilots, a spotter, and probably another armed soldier. The helicopter mainly serves to spot the route of the convoy, look for ambushes, provide communication and logistical support, and just look for traffic problems and plan alternate routes from overhead if needed. The spotter will serve as overwatch for the convoy, and the soldier in the helicopter who will have a rifle could shoot out the door of the helicopter for extra firepower in the event of an attack. If a coordinated attack happened on the convoy, in addition to the convoy security and responding local law enforcement, the nearest military base would scramble fighters who would be armed with guns and missiles and could provide air support.

this is like at least 50% horseshit right? self-destructing axles? cement dispensers? fighter jets?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Don't stop, Tom Clancy is almost there

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Sagebrush posted:

i googled some stuff and

this is like at least 50% horseshit right? self-destructing axles? cement dispensers? fighter jets?

If that were true, then the freeways would be littered with axleless, concrete-filled trailers due to the 'highly trained drivers' driving stoned and forgetting how to work the clutch.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
If the aim is to prevent the nuclear weapon from falling in to the wrong hands why not simply detonate it if the vehicle stops unexpectedly?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

GotLag posted:

If the aim is to prevent the nuclear weapon from falling in to the wrong hands why not simply detonate it if the vehicle stops unexpectedly?

I'd like you to really think about this statement, where we would detonate a nuclear warhead on site in open air if something occurred. Even if it was just a normal chemical one where we detonate and seed the surrounding area with nuclear material.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I'd like you to really think about this statement, where we would detonate a nuclear warhead on site in open air if something occurred. Even if it was just a normal chemical one where we detonate and seed the surrounding area with nuclear material.

yes, it's a good idea. they should totally do this.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
also.welcome to the something awful.dot com (com) comedy webzone, a comedy site, on the onternet

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
A high-order detonation is the quickest and most efficient way to dispose/disperse the nuclear material in the device so it cannot be collected for nefarious ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

GotLag posted:

That's the soviet solution.