Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

oh no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Not only is it very secure, it's very easy because when one site makes you change your password you update every other site you've ever created an account on at the same time!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
oppsie

https://twitter.com/sshell_/status/1224076040558936064

context:

https://twitter.com/kmlefranc/status/1221869659139366912

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

looks like a 4chan “prank” a la growing your own crystals by blowing bubbles in a toxic bleach compound

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

looks like a 4chan “prank” a la growing your own crystals by blowing bubbles in a toxic bleach compound

security jenkem

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Protip: Hackers expect passwords to be complicated, so just use "secret" and "password" because they will never guess it's that simple!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
trick hackers into wasting their time on pointless SIM hijacks by turning off 2fa

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

the panopticon rules

mystes
May 31, 2006

haveblue posted:

trick hackers into wasting their time on pointless SIM hijacks by turning off 2fa
Trick hackers into wasting their time guessing your password when you actually don't have a password set at all.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

mystes posted:

Trick hackers into wasting their time guessing your password when you actually don't have a password set at all.

i do this on all my personal servers, gently caress passwords

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Truga posted:

i do this on all my personal servers, gently caress passwords

oh hello, mr. stallman

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
ok that i don't get please explain what rms did this time

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
not this time, like, originally.

https://www.oreilly.com/openbook/freedom/ch07.html posted:

[When] passwords first appeared at the MIT AI Lab I [decided] to follow my belief that there should be no passwords," Stallman would later say. "Because I don't believe that it's really desirable to have security on a computer, I shouldn't be willing to help uphold the security regime

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lmao nice

but yeah uhh, have a private key with a password, or even better in your password vault, and log into everything with that imo.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

it extended beyond that: he really doesn't like locking doors and and insisted that the door to the building where he was squatting be propped open at all times, regardless of summer heat, winter cold or an armed maniac running around

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The_Franz posted:

it extended beyond that: he really doesn't like locking doors and and insisted that the door to the building where he was squatting be propped open at all times, regardless of summer heat, winter cold or an armed maniac running around

i mean that's kinda an admirable amount of dedication to his particular brand of crazy i guess

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

i mean that's kinda an admirable amount of dedication to his particular brand of crazy i guess

i think he correctly realized early on that if people could prevent him from being somewhere they absolutely would, and he naturally took a stance against that

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
:rms2: was right

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

what a shocker that a known sexual harasser didnt like locked doors

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

what a shocker that a known sexual harasser didnt like locked doors

or plants

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

did anyone ever figure out why, like did he fear the plants have spy cams to catch him being disgusting or is it a distrust of something natural?

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 4, 2020

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I’m not sure which I love more, rms’s rules for hosts or esr’s larp resume

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
http://www.catb.org/esr/larp.html is always the best

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

live action role business

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
you could tell me those were all facts about Ulillillia and I'd believe you

Unixilila

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ransomware begins taking low effort potshots at industrial control systems

basically just a process kill list for common industrial control suites

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Teamviewer encryption key now public

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
From the cspam Iowa caucus thread:

https://twitter.com/antoniogm/status/1224572920086687744

https://twitter.com/varun_mathur/status/1224564143497322496

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Maybe don’t put security credentials on a pieces of paper that people are naturally going to be tempted to photograph.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Maybe don’t put security credentials on a pieces of paper that people are naturally going to be tempted to photograph.

maybe don't round 3.2 up to 4 when the instructions say decimals less than .5 are rounded down

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

pseudorandom name posted:

maybe don't round 3.2 up to 4 when the instructions say decimals less than .5 are rounded down

Nah that's because there was a coinflip. He got 3 and then a coin-flip determined where the 8th vote went because warren and the klob tied.

never ever ever look this close at a caucus because it will make you ill

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

El Mero Mero posted:

Nah that's because there was a coinflip. He got 3 and then a coin-flip determined where the 8th vote went because warren and the klob tied.

never ever ever look this close at a caucus because it will make you ill

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/iowa-caucus-coin-toss/

lmfao what the gently caress

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
there are elections in the congo that are more fair and transparent than your country

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

AP posted:

Organizers running precincts for Iowa’s first-in-the-nation presidential caucuses didn’t get to test the mobile app they were to use to report results until just hours before voting began.

Iowa party officials had said they would not be sending the new mobile app to precinct chairs for downloading until just before the caucuses to narrow the window for any interference. Some precinct chairs said they had trouble downloading or logging into the app and didn’t use it.

As of late Monday, the Iowa Democratic Party had yet to report any results, saying they have been delayed because of “inconsistencies” in the count.

An Iowa Democratic Party manual had told caucus organizers that the app was the “preferred method” for reporting results. It listed a single phone number for those who chose to call them in from the 1,678 statewide precincts.

The manual laid out how the app would work: Organizers would log into the app using a PIN listed on their Caucus Math Worksheet when they called the meeting to order. They would enter the number of participants and the app would calculate the “viability threshold” for the site.

Organizers would then use the app to report the results of the first and final alignments, and the app would calculate the number of delegates each campaign won. Lastly, they would take a photo of the Caucus Math Worksheet with the written results as a backup.
security through obscurity ho

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the really maddening thing is that the denominator is the total number of attendees, which serves no purpose except to increase the odds of having to pick delegates by coin flips. if it’s just the total number of attendees in the remaining groups, that’s still possible but it’s way less likely. (still would’ve been buttigieg in this case)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

this isn't even some archaic procedure that you can blame on the constitution or something, it's entirely up to the democratic party to fix it (apparently the current system is "simplified" compared to previous years already lol)

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
who would have thought voting could be made to be so complicated?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

first past the post was a mistake

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
At least when elections are happening in post war bosnia or something everyone understands if there is any fuckery you're never more than 24 hours from going back to war. Nobody in the US cares lol, just try again next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

lol at the US going back to war though