Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rock My Socks! posted:

You mean the Sigma 30 or the Panny 25?

Sorry, the sigma.

The panasonic by most measures is a good lens but I keep hearing that even for its bigger aperture, you really have to stop them down to get solid results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

DJExile posted:

yo olympus hurry up and let me set a the biggest pile of money on fire you dinguses

it's 2020 already where is my 150-400mm :mad:

:same:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Apparently the X100V is gonna be announced tomorrow. My X100T favorite camera ever has served me well but it’s time for an upgrade. I hope the new lens is all that.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Animal posted:

Apparently the X100V is gonna be announced tomorrow. My X100T favorite camera ever has served me well but it’s time for an upgrade. I hope the new lens is all that.
It seems weird to me that they supposedly redesigned the lens from scratch to the exact same specification as before. The corner softness in my X100F doesn't really bug me since I'm typically taking pictures at F2 when I want the background blurred out anyway. My wishlist was weather sealing, articulated screen and better handheld low light performance [either via IBIS or a faster lens] and if the leaks are accurate the screen is the only thing on that list that it ticks. I wasn't really planning on upgrading in the first place unless it was weather sealed but I can see the sensor, processor and other improvements from the T being significant. I'm guessing the X100V will at least be better at macro than the F. I hope with the new lens and focus system they make the manual focus-by-wire more responsive as well.

Also Fuji related: does anyone know how to regain manual control in the Camera Remote app? Everything I try is either auto or occasionally aperture priority but I can't even figure out how to get that to work reliably. It's loving up my long exposure game.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

qirex posted:

Also Fuji related: does anyone know how to regain manual control in the Camera Remote app? Everything I try is either auto or occasionally aperture priority but I can't even figure out how to get that to work reliably. It's loving up my long exposure game.

Which version of the app? I've not run into anything like that (and this was with doing long exposure stuff). But it has been a while since I've used it so I could probably test it out with my X-T2.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
According to the X100V catalogue, it'll be weather resistant with a screw on tube and filter. I'm not sold on it, unless the lens focuses dramatically faster, as the innards are essentially the x-t3 and while it's speedy and all, that's not the style of shooting I use the 100F for, so it's a bit of a wasted opportunity. No good having a blazingly fast camera with next level autofocus options when the lens itself is the barrier to the shots actually *being* in focus.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Seems pretty silly to not make sure the camera itself is weather resistant. Also, I bet the filter is not included?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Xabi posted:

Seems pretty silly to not make sure the camera itself is weather resistant. Also, I bet the filter is not included?

Of course not. Neither is the adapter ring. Fuji gotta get those dollars somehow.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
The front element moves as it focuses, so the adapter and ring completely enclose it to seal it. If that arrangement were built in it would make it larger, and probably incompatible with the existing telephoto/wide angle converters.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Fools Infinite posted:

The front element moves as it focuses, so the adapter and ring completely enclose it to seal it. If that arrangement were built in it would make it larger, and probably incompatible with the existing telephoto/wide angle converters.

Was the 100F life this? I don’t recall any lens element moving during focusing.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

bloops posted:

Was the 100F life this? I don’t recall any lens element moving during focusing.

The entire lens assembly moves to focus, it's this way for every iteration of the camera, and likely for the X100V too.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

That's an interesting compromise on the weather sealing, still don't really see what the 15% price increase is for. I'm going to assume third party bayonet rings and filters will work* because it's not like the Fujifilm ones have gaskets or anything different.

*not for warranty service I'd guess

sildargod posted:

The entire lens assembly moves to focus, it's this way for every iteration of the camera, and likely for the X100V too.
I keep an adaptor ring on even if I'm not using a lens hood [usually use this one but I also have a factory style one for when I use filters] to protect against accidental bumps and so I can put it flat against windows.

qirex fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 4, 2020

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah that X100V compromise weather sealing is ok I guess, but zero reason for me to upgrade. I have been using my X-T3 a lot lately but have to get out my X100F more now that the weather is permitting. I miss shooting with it.

But that X-Pro3 keeps calling me with it's siren song from the distance... I had no idea that it was coming and I got my T3 literally less than a week before it was released and I am pretty sure I would have gone for the X Pro instead. :sweatdrop:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I’m finally planning on upgrading from my X-T1 and after trying out a demo of it yeah the Xpro 3 is way more my jam I’m the idiot trash baby that likes the flip out screen. I am so glad I decide to wait on the X-T3 at the start of last year

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
The X100V looks very tempting. Hopefully the AF is useful.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I pre-ordered. Black one this time, after 5 years I kind of got tired of the silver on my X100T, funny how subjective preferences can change over time, it looked sexy when I first got it.

This new one ticks all the boxes. Significantly better EVF. Significantly sharper around the edges, if Fuji’s comparison shot is to be believed. Weather resistant... kind of. Faster all around. USB-C. Tilt screen. $1,400 is not bad. Hopefully I won’t feel like I’m missing the D-Pad.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

This guy is literally a Fuji brand ambassador so it’s not critical at all but he did a good write up with a shitload of samples including X vs V shots https://jonasraskphotography.com/2020/02/04/fujifilm-x100v-first-look-preview-the-desert-island-camera/

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks pretty good, and even if it requires the filter stuff for weather sealing I'm glad it's an option at all.

I'm still running with a GR (my second after the first stopped turning on) and I'd really like to upgrade at some point. The GRIII didn't feel worth it at all during the week I rented it. The AF didn't seem any better despite having PDAF, I didn't like the control layout changes, the IBIS wasn't that great, and in the end I liked it less than my GR. Rented an X100s 6 years ago and didn't love it, but maybe time for another shot with this one.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I borrowed a friend's GRIII for a couple hours and loved it for the type of shooting it's good at but I do a lot of clouds and other spots where a viewfinder is a must. It feels like a super specialized camera which is good in some ways, particularly the size, peak luminance metering and snap focus. I'd love it if it was an inch or so taller and had an EVF and bigger battery but then it wouldn't really be a GR.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Too bad the gxr flopped.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I know you Fuji nerds are mostly *yawn* at the tilt screen but now I'll actually consider one when secondhand ones come down in price in like 3-4 years. It's just such a useful feature to have for getting different perspectives, shooting over your head, etc.

https://www.fujirumors.com/exclusive-fujifilm-x100v-with-2-way-tilt-screen/

According to this survey 20% of Fujirumors readers actually would prefer a fixed screen. What? Like, just don't tilt it if it bothers you? :confused:

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

A fixed screen would make for a less complicated design, possibly leading to a lower price. No idea how much but there might be some logic to it.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
The screen housing, hinges, and conduits for associated flexible wiring also add a non-trivial amount of extra depth to the body. On a honking big DSLR, it's negligible, but on a svelte APS-C mirrorless it's going to be more noticeable.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Man, the new X100V might actually be the solution to my jadedness. I could buy it, see how I like the output and keep my m43 stuff for the time being. I wasn't sold initially since I swore I'd never get a non-sealed fixed-lens camera again after my GR got dusty, but it seems Fuji have taken care of that. My main issue remains the software - Fujis don't work with DxO Photolab, so I'd have to buy and learn something new. That's a pretty sizeable entry barrier to me. What's the consensus best image processing software for X-Trans right now? I'd love to play with a couple of X100V RAWs to see if I can get some kind of workflow going.

Wengy fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 5, 2020

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Helen Highwater posted:

The screen housing, hinges, and conduits for associated flexible wiring also add a non-trivial amount of extra depth to the body. On a honking big DSLR, it's negligible, but on a svelte APS-C mirrorless it's going to be more noticeable.

I have an older Olympus compact with a tilt screen and what you this is extremely evident on that thing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I mean, is it an "eye of the beholder" kind of situation? Because on my A7iii it feels like it's adding next to no bulk/heft and I'd say it's a pretty slim camera.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
The new one on the x100v is very thin and doesn't add much thickness, but I'm not sure if that choice will make it more likely to be damaged.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Wengy posted:

My main issue remains the software - Fujis don't work with DxO Photolab, so I'd have to buy and learn something new. That's a pretty sizeable entry barrier to me. What's the consensus best image processing software for X-Trans right now? I'd love to play with a couple of X100V RAWs to see if I can get some kind of workflow going.

I've heard some lightroom users suggest Iridient X-Transformer. Takes a fuji raw and spits out a DNG without the mosaic issues. There is a free demo to give it a whirl.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Mega Comrade posted:

I've heard some lightroom users suggest Iridient X-Transformer. Takes a fuji raw and spits out a DNG without the mosaic issues. There is a free demo to give it a whirl.

Just tried their software and it seems fine, thanks. DxO seems much more polished and feature-rich to me, but Iridient should still be good enough for just one fixed-lens compact.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

Wengy posted:

Man, the new X100V might actually be the solution to my jadedness. I could buy it, see how I like the output and keep my m43 stuff for the time being. I wasn't sold initially since I swore I'd never get a non-sealed fixed-lens camera again after my GR got dusty, but it seems Fuji have taken care of that. My main issue remains the software - Fujis don't work with DxO Photolab, so I'd have to buy and learn something new. That's a pretty sizeable entry barrier to me. What's the consensus best image processing software for X-Trans right now? I'd love to play with a couple of X100V RAWs to see if I can get some kind of workflow going.

Capture one pro has a free fuji version, which is great and is free.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Free, it says 30 day trial on the webpage?

They also doesn't want to have to learn another piece of software. The benefit of the Iridient X-Transformer is you just convert the file then import it into your preferred editor like normal.

It does confuse me though with the huge market share adobe has that they haven't managed to get fuji raws working right when various other companies with often significantly less resources can.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
There is a free fuii version of capture one express.

Also if you want to convert your raws give the some other software trials a shot and compare to the converted output, some are claiming there is a difference in quality.

There are also posts complaining about dxo not supporting the converted raws, but I don't know if that is true.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Martytoof posted:

I mean, is it an "eye of the beholder" kind of situation? Because on my A7iii it feels like it's adding next to no bulk/heft and I'd say it's a pretty slim camera.

Definitely varies depending on the camera. Like you, it’s a non-issue wrt my a7ii. Here’s how olympus did it circa 2012 though:

A thick boi.

President Beep fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 5, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just a regular LCD cosplaying as a film data back :haw:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Just a regular LCD cosplaying as a film data back :haw:

It's kind of long in the tooth, so the image quality isn't the greatest, but aside from that and the bulky screen it's actually a very nicely built camera. Fast lens too.

e: Instead of necro-ing the compact camera thread I guess this'll do!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

sildargod posted:

Capture one pro has a free fuji version, which is great and is free.

honestly surprised none of the other Fuji guys just went ":smug: what workflow, I just pull JPEGs SOOC :smug: " because that is absolutely what I do

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Had a commercial photographer on site at the office today and got talking gear. He showed me his favourite feature on his EOS R: looking through the EVF while sliding your finger across the touch screen to change the AF focus point.
Completely blew my mind - way better/faster than a joystick.

Then I tried it on my X-T30 and it does the same thing :psyboom:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Hello Spaceman posted:

Had a commercial photographer on site at the office today and got talking gear. He showed me his favourite feature on his EOS R: looking through the EVF while sliding your finger across the touch screen to change the AF focus point.
Completely blew my mind - way better/faster than a joystick.

Then I tried it on my X-T30 and it does the same thing :psyboom:

Woah, that seems like it could be kind of trick to design. I'd think that when you're looking through the EVF that allowing touchscreen sensitivity would result in a bunch of false inputs from your cheek or nose or w/e. Must be pretty finely tuned for finger swipes.

Kind of a dumb feeling question, but isn't kind of a pain to snake your finger up there when your face is already to the screen?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

President Beep posted:

Woah, that seems like it could be kind of trick to design. I'd think that when you're looking through the EVF that allowing touchscreen sensitivity would result in a bunch of false inputs from your cheek or nose or w/e. Must be pretty finely tuned for finger swipes.

Kind of a dumb feeling question, but isn't kind of a pain to snake your finger up there when your face is already to the screen?

It's not a flaw, because the autofocus point follows my finger in real time, while looking through the EVF. It's really intuitive.
Also, on the X-T30 at least, I use my right thumb to slide across the screen - no finger gymnastics needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Okay, follow up question: could you do it with your nose?