Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Darthemed posted:

Cross-posting from the funny panels thread.

Pencils: John Byrne, Inks: Al Gordon

Is it really fair to call it pencils and inks when it's a photo collage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Pastry of the Year posted:

So I finally read all three issues of Morlock 2001 and it's, uh, something:

Holy poo poo I had completely forgotten about Morlock until I saw this panel! I think I only had the second and third issues, but I remember being creeped out by those guys getting killed by the fungus. This was from... 1974? 1975?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

Holy poo poo I had completely forgotten about Morlock until I saw this panel! I think I only had the second and third issues, but I remember being creeped out by those guys getting killed by the fungus. This was from... 1974? 1975?

1975, yeah. I'd been fascinated by the idea of this comic since I read about it in The Encyclopedia of Super Heroes as a kid (his inclusion, in hindsight, is unsurprising, since that book's author, Jeff Rovin, was the EIC of Atlas) and I finally got a chance to read it and yeah, it's even weirder than I expected.

Tarantula (3) also ate people.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Random Stranger posted:

Is it really fair to call it pencils and inks when it's a photo collage?

Yeah I had the same thought, although I'm somewhat fond of Byrne's art in general if not his horrible personality

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures #14 (1990)
Pencils: Don Simpson, Inks: Dan Berger

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

He's got the MNT part right but those do not look like teenagers.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Love that good art.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Is that Elsie the Cow?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It's Cudley the Cowlick, the giant floating cow head that licks up the turtles and spits them out elsewhere in time and space.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Man I forgot how dumb and weird TMNT was, I just wanted to see them fight ninjas and eat pizza but it was always full of that bullshit instead

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

A couple years back I read all the Mirage, Image, Mirage reboot and IDW TMNT comics on a lark, but I couldn't bring myself to read the Archie stuff, because I remembered what it was like.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Man I forgot how dumb and weird TMNT was, I just wanted to see them fight ninjas and eat pizza but it was always full of that bullshit instead

I am instantly dumbfounded every time I get reminded that for a huge portion of their run Raphael was just a black blob.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Those pages kind of have a alt-comix look to them. All they're missing is a couple of gross-out jokes about boners and piss.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

theironjef posted:

I am instantly dumbfounded every time I get reminded that for a huge portion of their run Raphael was just a black blob.

As a kid I couldn’t figure out WHY. “Is he in shadows all the time because he’s so surly? Is he wearing a black suit? If it’s a black suit, why???” These are the things I’d wonder every time I was allowed a new comic.

Anyway, I loved the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse storyline and my father actually got me every issue! Good comic.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Cudley is exactly the sort of dumb, insane, wonderful thing I love about comics.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Honestly I kinda dig that TMNT art. Gives me an Allred vibe.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I thought Don Simpson was better known than this, though I guess Megaton Man has fallen deep into obscurity.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
IDW TMNT is terrific

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

IDW TMNT is terrific

Probably the best iteration of the franchise to date.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Apparently this is the current cartoon incarnation:

I'm not really sure what to think, but I'm gonna go with "it's not aimed at me so whatever".

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’d be fine if each of the turtles was based on a different turtle but that style does nothing for me. The IDW series is real good and it’s my “grab the year’s trades on the holiday sale and read over christmas” book of choice.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

From what I’ve seen, the animation in motion is really excellent.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Fair point, in motion it looks charming as hell. I'm sure the internet hates it because April is black of course

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

My favorite detail in those designs is that Donatello actually just painted the eyebrows on his mask so he can emote better; Donnie's such a huge dork.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Apparently this is the current cartoon incarnation:

I'm not really sure what to think, but I'm gonna go with "it's not aimed at me so whatever".

Gorillaz fans

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've heard nothing but good things about the new cartoon, but I'll admit that at first glance it doesn't inspire huge amounts of confidence.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I've heard nothing but good things about the new cartoon, but I'll admit that at first glance it doesn't inspire huge amounts of confidence.

It's incredibly useful to get good at waving your hand and saying "eh, kids these days". Really smooths things out, mentally.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
No matter your thoughts on the cartoon, it doesn't have the turtle-sub getting mated with by a sea monster, so it's not the worst.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Rotten Red Rod posted:

This is how I approach all reboots of shows I loved as a kid. I'm happy they find new fans.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Shadow of the Batgirl by Sarah Kuhn and Nicole Goux may not have an art style that's for everyone, but it does have a really cool library in it:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There seems to be something off about the perspectives there.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
That's just L-Space.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I don't think it's a good idea to put the children reading circle In such a central space where you'd hear that from the whole building.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Elfface posted:

That's just L-Space.
Ook

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Toronto Public Library

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I was there last year and recognized the reference, but it still looks off in a way the reference library doesn’t.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
a couple of vanishing point lines converge oddly here and there but overall I like it a lot :shrug:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Toronto Comic Arts Festival has been held in that library many times so I'm guessing the artist saw it up close and personal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Jordan7hm posted:

There seems to be something off about the perspectives there.

It's the stairs that are throwing me off. They don't look like the connect to the lower level and they float on the page, even though I can see the real life image.