Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

what's the one where it starts out with like a 45 minute michael hayes solo match - because that's when wrestling died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

nevermind. i looked into it and that never happened. i don't know why i think that happened. was there ever a ppv that started with a michael hayes solo match?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Cornette built a career on being likable (even if it was people liking hating him) and a lot of people here wanted to continue to be able to do that even thru his old wrestling grumpiness until he quadrupled down on the racism and extremely bad faith criticisms of AEW and extremely hosed up "jokes" like how Kenny is a pedophile with a Japanese schoolgirl fetish, and also how Justin Roberts is a pedophile, and he probably also called someone else in AEW a pedophile while telling funny stories about his good pal Grizzly Smith
He went into the Justin Roberts thing immediately after (as in within seconds of) the Grizzly thing, yes.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

nevermind. i looked into it and that never happened. i don't know why i think that happened. was there ever a ppv that started with a michael hayes solo match?
I think I know how you got to thinking that a Starrcade had a 40 minute Michael Hayes singles match:

Hayes is in the openers of both Starrcade '87: Chi-Town Heat (Glory Bound) and the standalone, but similarly named Chi-Town Rumble from '89. Starrcade is a 6 man tag. Chi-Town Rumble has Hayes vs. Russian Assassin I (Angel of Death) in a 16 minute match that feels twice as long and is followed by a 20 minute Sting vs. Butch Reed match that features none of the things you'd want from a Sting vs. Butch Reed match.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 24, 2020

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

remember when hayes got inducted into the hall of fame and put on an hour long concert with terry garvin and they both had several strokes

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
jim cornette still hasn’t accepted my offer to fight. wimp.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

WatermelonGun posted:

jim cornette still hasn’t accepted my offer to fight. wimp.

Don’t do it, he’s a cop caller.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Jim fantasy booking MJF drowning Joey Janela who is then given CPR by Cody is quite a thing on this weeks Grumpy Racist Dynamite Review

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

He should rename The Jim Cornette Experience to The Minority Report

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Mulaney Power Move posted:

remember when hayes got inducted into the hall of fame and put on an hour long concert with terry garvin and they both had several strokes

That's unfortunate

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I guess the walking impending stroke did the poo poo again.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Which flavor of poo poo this time?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

He's losing his poo poo on Meltzer because he likes Omega and said Omega/Okada was better than Flair/Steamboat. Just kind of the usual psychotic yelling, namecalling, and allusions that Omega is a pedophile.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Imagine destroying your friendship over someone presenting facts.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

One of these days he's just going to burst.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Hopefully soon.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Yeah im sure the guy regarded as the only legit scoopguy needs the protection of the loving lunatic who got fired by Billy.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

bladeworksmaster posted:

They had been friends for probably the best part of 40 years. So staggeringly dumb. It's not like Dave has kept quiet about his enjoyment of Omega & The Bucks. He was giving the Bucks ****1/4 in 2009 Dragon Gate USA (admittedly it was a match with CIMA & Susumu Yokosuka but still). OK Jim, The Bucks don't want to work with you despite all your "great" "heat" generating comments, loving get over it before your heart explodes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jim Cornette telling ANYBODY that they look like an out-of-touch lunatic is loving amazing, I'll tell you what.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
How is Jim allowed on Twitter. He says some pretty crazy poo poo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Malcolm Excellent posted:

How is Jim allowed on Twitter. He says some pretty crazy poo poo

He's extremely racist against Muslims so Twitter are powerless to ban him.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

fact teller: here are the facts.

jim cornette: you motha fuckerin idiot! we gotta get brian "the" dog back to life on family guy!

fact teller: we were in the war together and promised if anything happened to the other guy, we'd take care of their family.

jim cornette: we gotta get brian "the" dog back to life on family guy!

^^^ Nice one ^^^

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
shave melterz: gets occasional air time on the hip new wrestling promotion as the veteran journalist of the industry
jim cornette: iiiim sooooo angryyyyyyyyyy*
*shits his pants

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

bladeworksmaster posted:

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

I just wanna add that the way Cornette talks about Omega is super homophobic-coded with a lot of “not a REAL man” dogwhistle poo poo

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Hash tag gently caress

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

I just wanna add that the way Cornette talks about Omega is super homophobic-coded with a lot of “not a REAL man” dogwhistle poo poo

You know when I think masculinity my mind jumps right to Jim Cornette.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Cornette is deep into that shock jock cycle of shrinking audience and revalence. I never listened to them, but I followed the same thing with Opie and Anthony, because it's kind of fascinating to watch people like that flail against reality.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah you never hear about the guy who does a cuss on the radio having a happy life. Even Howard Stern gets confused for Weird Al sometimes.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

And that's when he's not outright calling him a pedophile who groomed Riho into the business, which is just vile. gently caress him and Brian Last and their terrible fanbase.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The way he talked about Russo was always like that too.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

he called Justin Roberts a pedophile which is just unfuckingcool. And don't play semantics with the "he looks/acts/smells/etc like" qualifier.

Again, I'm honestly surprised no one's taken the time to dent Cornette's skull.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

coconono posted:

yeah you never hear about the guy who does a cuss on the radio having a happy life. Even Howard Stern gets confused for Weird Al sometimes.

I'm glad I got out of listening to Ron and Fez before it got too sad (I assume it got very sad)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the closest I ever got to Shock Jock stuff was Bob and Tom, a local comedy duo. I think they're syndicated. They get standups to drop in. The weirdest thing is the laughter is canned. they press a button and that makes the laughter.

Listened to...Bubba The Love Sponge once? that was extremely boring. Like Mark Madden talking sports level boring.

If you're gonna be loud and angry, be loud and angry for good things, not your pocketbook.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

ron & fez

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I think I still have a fez. does the fez guy have a fez?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he used to have a fez. but one day he got scared and couldn't talk on the radio anymore, and it was real anxiety issues and they didn't do anything about it for 10 years until forcing him to retire. some times it felt very interesting and artistic but cruel at the same time. he became extremely hateful and the only times he would talk were to be malicious. i don't blame anyone for thinking it's only a hosed up bastard who would listen to that.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

yeah Bob and Tom are an institution here in Indy and I've never dug them at all

I did listen to Jim Rome a bunch as a teenager though, so I'm not the best judge of radio quality

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i believe part of it was that for so long fez's radio character was gay, in the early 90s. and up until 2001 or 2002 that worked for him but i think he had a mental breakdown about actually being gay and being himself instead of hiding behind a character. he had made fun of homosexuality some in the past, and probably disliked that it was out there and all the fans of the show knew all about it. he shifted very hard in the other direction and wouldn't allow anything to be funny, like saying the word "crazy" because that's demeaning to people with mental illness. not calling someone crazy but just saying "wow, that's crazy." and that sort of thing. he was right in a lot of ways, but he still wasn't in his right mind. after he retired he calls in to the new show without him once in a while and sounds very happy and at peace.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that's the story of someone who wanted nothing more than to perform 24/7 and then suddenly never wanted anything to do with it at all one day. but found it too difficult to let go of what he had built. i am still not sure what truly forced him out. maybe he was fired but they framed it as retirement. it saved his life. I hope that he met someone nice, because he had never been in a relationship and is getting on in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The closest I ever came to shock jocks was Ed, Lisa, and Dre and the Jerky Boys. My buddies in college were way into Opie & Anthony but I found them gross. Probably laughed sometimes but I could be gross too. Dorm full of dudes laughing at a song called "Baby Raper" and like... I don't get it. Raping babies... funny? Haha? I don't think I ever really got "edgelords."