Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

UnkleBoB posted:

My father graduated in '69, and I remember him going to his 30th. I think for the 40th anniversary, they had the closest years all combined (so like 67-70 or something like that) and they did a joint reunion, since there were fewer and fewer people around by then. 50th, nothing happened because Facebook is a thing and they all keep in touch that way.

Re: combining years, something my college does that makes their reunions successful is to invite literally everyone every year but put special emphasis on those who graduated a multiple of 10 years ago. Plus they say "if you graduated in '99 but your friends were all in the class of '00, just identify with that year and party with them."

Re: references lost on modern viewers, there was a Superbowl commercial for a reality singing show that parodied the Budweiser frogs, which I'm pretty certain aired before a large portion of their audience was born.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
what the gently caress kind of neglectful rear end motherfucker isnt teaching their children the Sacred Scriptures of Superbowl Ads From Years Past? this is fuckin, this is the only thing we have for oral tradition, is parents telling kids what ads used to be on TV. that's all white people have left. you'll get the unlabeled VHS tapes and show your children that sears "YOU'LL CALL NOW" ad, with the hot lady banging the fridgerator.
im rolling in the isles of church, clawing at my eyes and shrieking about the crotchspawn of judas loosed upon this world without a solid foundation of Eighties And Nineties Cartoons, Comics Boosk, Videog, and Toy Commercials. i'm sobbing and walking on my knees across the desert, beseeching the silent throne of G-d to reveal unto me Where The Beef Is, Amen.

ONE EIGHT HUNDRED SIX THREE NINE OH SIX SIX SIX

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I once read that Elizabeth Taylor won an Oscar for a movie called BUtterfield 8, whose title sounded to me like some kind of sci-fi movie before I googled an explanation:

Wikipedia posted:

The unconventional title of the novel and film[10] (capitalized "B" and "U") derives from the pattern of old telephone exchange names in the United States and Canada. Until the early 1970s telephone exchanges were commonly referred to by name instead of by number. BUtterfield 8 was an exchange that provided service to upper-class neighborhoods of Manhattan's Upper East Side. Dialing the letters "BU" equates to 28 on the lettered telephone dial, so "BUtterfield 8" would equate to 288 as the first three digits of a five-digit phone number.
The preface to the novel is a notice by the telephone company that an extra digit will be added to all exchanges, "for instance, the exchange BUtterfield will become BUtterfield 8."

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I BUtterfield 8

I don't really know American phone vernacular but this seems like a reference that was lost on audiences by the 1980's.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
In the Mr Plow episode of the Simpsons, the business phone # is KL5-3226, and said as "Klondike 5, 3226", this being a reference to how phone numbers in much older media had that exchange because its good old 555, the fake exchange for media numbers in north america.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Philadelphia phone books still included numbers with exchange names until 1983.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Also the origin of the title of the swing tune “Pennsylvania 6-5000”

Which itself probably fits the theme of this thread now that I think about it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

Also the origin of the title of the swing tune “Pennsylvania 6-5000”

Which itself probably fits the theme of this thread now that I think about it

The movie Transylvania 6-5000 is itself a reference to that song.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

In the children's book Madeleine the doctor rushes to call DAN-ton ten six (Nurse! It's an appendix!) so y'all were Bemelmans-deprived

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Midjack posted:

The movie Transylvania 6-5000 is itself a reference to that song.

Any reference to that movie is itself lost on modern audiences.

cvisors
Sep 24, 2003
Carnage Visors
Sugartime Jones
Talking about ten year class reunions. I went to mine, for some reason they chose a union pub that I frequented from time to time.

Now some background, in my school class, other than two students they made my life hell.

So by this time I was what one would be called a punk goth type, with bleached white spiky hair.

So my idea was to go for one reason, revenge.

So my partner and I went (this would have been 2000 I think) I go to the bar and as a union member got a good discount on beer.

But what was weird to me, these people who made my life hell, all wanted to be my friend.

I guess they were trapped in boring lives, where I was working in industry (all hail the mighty ETU) and playing in bands and so on.

it was weird these people who made my life hell, all were so nice.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Bullies don’t remember they were bullies. They just think they were normal.

30 Rock touched on that in their reunion episode when it turns out Liz Lemon bullied all her classmates even though her memory was otherwise.

I made the mistake of looking up my high school bully online. Fucker has a verified Twitter check mark. Where is the justice.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
If it helps, jack is a fascist...

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

ultrafilter posted:

Any reference to that movie is itself lost on modern audiences.

Nuh uh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSFxZzyH5nM

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows
That website about saving the sounds reminded me of PhoneTrips, which has a ton of recordings taken from the old phone system by phone phreaks. It's a fascinating piece of history, as well as nostalgia for those of us that remember what it used to sound like to make a phone call in the 70's and 80's. Here is a great example from the page.

Edit: for some reason, the embedded link doesn't work when you click on it, but it does if you go directly to wideweb.com/phonetrips/ .

Cerebral Mayhem fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 5, 2020

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
My high school bully has an entry in murderpedia.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

My high school bully has an entry in murderpedia.

This reference is lost on modern audiences.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

My introduction to old timey phone numbers was a Stan Freberg sketch my dad had pirate-dubbed from some other audiotape.

Which I can't pinpoint, because apparently archive.org has the entire show run and it's not cut up into individual sketches and if you'll excuse me I have some downloading to do.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Midjack posted:

This reference is lost on modern audiences.

what's the reference?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
There is no reference. He killed his parents with a shotgun a year after I left, then sealed the door with plastic wrap and hosted a prom party downstairs.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Every car I've ever owned has come with the "bash your head in" variety. Of course the last car I bought was in 2012 so what do I know. Do new cars not come with spare tires/jacks/tire irons these days? That would suck, I mean yeah you can call someone but putting on a spare is like a 5 minute operation if you've ever done it before. Also "most people will never get a flat tire", what? Flats seem more like a once every few years thing than a maybe once in a lifetime thing.

It used to be, long ago, that you had a 'spare tyre'. Using this involved prying the old tyre off the wheel hub and forcing the new one on, a process that required a lot of force and leverage. You had a long, soidly-constructed 'tyre iron' to help apply this leverage, with a chisel end for levering the tyre and a socket at the other for the lugnuts. It has more in common with a crowbar than anything else.

These days you have a 'spare wheel'. All you have to do is swap the wheel, and all you need for that is to undo the lugnuts. A flimsy bit of aluminium works fine.
(Then the tyre place uses a hydraulic machine to get the tyres on and off the hubs. They don't want to have to do it manually either)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

There is no reference. He killed his parents with a shotgun a year after I left, then sealed the door with plastic wrap and hosted a prom party downstairs.

I can't be the only person who read prom as something else.

I have to give extra credit to anyone who goes that extra mile and turns a difficult situation into a festive occasion.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

It used to be, long ago, that you had a 'spare tyre'. Using this involved prying the old tyre off the wheel hub and forcing the new one on, a process that required a lot of force and leverage. You had a long, soidly-constructed 'tyre iron' to help apply this leverage, with a chisel end for levering the tyre and a socket at the other for the lugnuts. It has more in common with a crowbar than anything else.

These days you have a 'spare wheel'. All you have to do is swap the wheel, and all you need for that is to undo the lugnuts. A flimsy bit of aluminium works fine.
(Then the tyre place uses a hydraulic machine to get the tyres on and off the hubs. They don't want to have to do it manually either)

These days you're lucky if you get the spare wheel; a fair number of automakers have ditched them in order to cut down on weight & increase fuel mileage.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Phone-based references:
Thinking on an old episode of American Dad (I think it's from season one). Roger and Steve prank call Argentina from Dick Cheney's phone and after hanging up get called back. Steve looks in horror at Roger and says "Argentina just star-69ed us." Would any current generation kids have any idea what that is outside of context?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Krispy Wafer posted:

I can't be the only person who read prom as something else.

I have to give extra credit to anyone who goes that extra mile and turns a difficult situation into a festive occasion.

There was a guy I heard about the year after I left high school. I think he may have been at our school, or at least was in social circles with some people.

Anyway he strangled his girlfriend, stuck her body under a tarp in the back of his truck, then went out on the town and bought loads of drinks for everyone.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

killer crane posted:

i remember seeing pink elephants in tooney tunes when someone was sauced, but i did not understanding what the hell that was about... i just looked up the wiki, it's a euphemism for alcohol hallucinations from some Jack London book, but the wiki mentions seeing a snake in your boot.

so an old reference in newerish media is woody saying "there's a snake in my boot" in toy story.

Simpsons references this in the episode where Homer meets his hippy dad or something and then doses the whole town with hallucinogens. When Barney starts tripping out, he just takes a swig beer, and a pink elephant appears to trample his hallucinations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Asking someone for the 411 on something. Completely lost on anyone under the age of 30 or 40.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
The song "beautiful dreamer". as a romantic trope, sure, but like the entire song basically gained an extra generation of life thanks to Bugs Bunny. Now that children's entertainment is basically a bespoke youtube affair, Bugs no longer acts as a bridge between the modern and the classical.

honestly, everything about the Looney Tunes is a reference lost on generations. The carrot is a reference to a Marx cigar, "what's up doc?" was a quote from a movie, they borrow classical music and even opera, ACME as a shorthand for shoddy craftsmanship.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Phone-based references:
Thinking on an old episode of American Dad (I think it's from season one). Roger and Steve prank call Argentina from Dick Cheney's phone and after hanging up get called back. Steve looks in horror at Roger and says "Argentina just star-69ed us." Would any current generation kids have any idea what that is outside of context?

I'm 22 and I have no idea what that is, no.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

alexandriao posted:

I'm 22 and I have no idea what that is, no.

In the days before caller ID was ubiquitous, you could dial *69 to hear a nice lady repeat (and optionally dial) the phone number of the last call you'd received. For a nominal fee.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Phone chat reminded me of this commercial from Geico.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JxhTnWrKYs

I can't recall exactly when it aired - it was uploaded 11 years ago, so at least that - but it was already thoroughly an old media reference even then.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Phone chat reminded me of this commercial from Geico.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JxhTnWrKYs

I can't recall exactly when it aired - it was uploaded 11 years ago, so at least that - but it was already thoroughly an old media reference even then.

gently caress I totally forgot about this commercial. This is like early 2000s at the latest.

Born in 91 and I knew what *69, *67 and 411 was. Hell my mom taught me how to call collect from a pay phone.

Speaking of: you’ve heard of this woman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Fleet?wprov=sfti1

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Shine posted:

In the days before caller ID was ubiquitous, you could dial *69 to hear a nice lady repeat (and optionally dial) the phone number of the last call you'd received. For a nominal fee.

OH! Over in the UK that's 1471 and 1461

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Reading this thread and then watching the finale of The Good Place made me wonder how many youths playing Madden know who he is—it’s been twelve years since he did commentary and he last coached during the Carter administration. I hope they assume he’s a video game designer that gets to put his name on products, like Sid Meier. Probably not, and he’s probably known as some football-related guy, but what a weird fluke for a coach to have enduring fame from a (admittedly football) video game.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Pontius Pilate posted:

Reading this thread and then watching the finale of The Good Place made me wonder how many youths playing Madden know who he is—it’s been twelve years since he did commentary and he last coached during the Carter administration. I hope they assume he’s a video game designer that gets to put his name on products, like Sid Meier. Probably not, and he’s probably known as some football-related guy, but what a weird fluke for a coach to have enduring fame from a (admittedly football) video game.

I think it's in part because Madden is the only NFL video game now. EA's got an exclusive contract for all the players and coaches so there aren't alternatives and EA's not going to mess with it's cash cow. I just did a quick imagine search and I don't think Madden's even been on the cover since Madden 5, so the name has nothing to do with the coach.

There used to be multiple games developed for each sport, but not anymore because the best way to grow an audience is to restrict choice.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I wonder if his lifetime earnings from royalties for the games have now exceeded his lifetime earnings as a player, coach, and broadcaster.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I'm 35 and my experience with Madden is Madden 9something for the Sega Genesis. I didn't know he used to be a player/coach until years and years later. The only reason I knew he was a broadcaster is because he was on the box art and did the voiceovers. So I am guessing many people younger than me have no idea whatsoever.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

I honestly thought the title was about making people angry.

But I'm from the part of the world where the most people know about American football is that it's a weird rugby-like thing Americans do.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It seems like "here's Johnny!" with Jack busting through the door is pretty well known as being from The Shining.

I do wonder how many people realise that he's saying that particular thing as a reference to how Ed McMahon used to introduce Johnny Carson on the Tonight Show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

a kitten posted:

It seems like "here's Johnny!" with Jack busting through the door is pretty well known as being from The Shining.

I do wonder how many people realise that he's saying that particular thing as a reference to how Ed McMahon used to introduce Johnny Carson on the Tonight Show.
I had no idea. I've also never seen/read The Shining and assumed that the character's name was John and that was all the explanation it needed.