Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

doomrider7 posted:

You forgot to add racist as hell and possibly colonialist given some of the HP lore about Native Americans and her portrayal of Palestine in her other series(Palestinian villain who may have been trans was portrayed as MASSIVELY anti-semitic simply by default). It's the same issue as Orson Scott Card where YA author who wrote books that spoke greatly and deeply to their audiences about issues they may be going through turns out to be a horrible person.

Also an utter melt who wasted a hundred pages of her last book banging on about the Labour left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I feel sorry for the people who were summoned for jury duty just to look at pictures of Harvey Weinstein.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I feel sorry for the people who were summoned for jury duty just to look at pictures of Harvey Weinstein.

Outside of medical conditions, I don't understand how anyone can get that loving fat. Like, my dad has a big gut, but otherwise is a fairly solid man, but that just looks(to quote Doug Stanhope) "like a garbage bag full of jello".

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Rowling was fine until she got a twitter account

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Rowling was fine until she got a twitter account

Most people are fine until you hear their beliefs.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

might be worth it to convict him

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Not knowing somebody's a piece of poo poo doesn't make them not one.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

doomrider7 posted:

Outside of medical conditions, I don't understand how anyone can get that loving fat. Like, my dad has a big gut, but otherwise is a fairly solid man, but that just looks(to quote Doug Stanhope) "like a garbage bag full of jello".

Decades of calorie surpluses and lack of self care basically.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
The guy just forced himself on Hollywood starlets, or made them offers abusing his position of power. Maintaining a good physique can take actual effort, guess he didn't give a poo poo about his body seeing as he was getting to gently caress some of the hottest people on the planet anyway. Maybe it was part of his power fantasy that he could get women to gently caress him even though he disgusted them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

doomrider7 posted:

(Palestinian villain who may have been trans was portrayed as MASSIVELY anti-semitic simply by default)

What the gently caress? What was this in?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

doomrider7 posted:

I was almost 400 pounds before I got surgery and now I'm at 240 pounds and still thinning.

At some point, your body becomes an eating machine. You're always hungry and it's never enough. Everything inside of you is working to make getting thinner impossible. My doctors could explain it betetr but the deck is incredibly stacked against you at this point, it's horrifying.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

doomrider7 posted:

You forgot to add racist as hell and possibly colonialist given some of the HP lore about Native Americans and her portrayal of Palestine in her other series(Palestinian villain who may have been trans was portrayed as MASSIVELY anti-semitic simply by default). It's the same issue as Orson Scott Card where YA author who wrote books that spoke greatly and deeply to their audiences about issues they may be going through turns out to be a horrible person.

Also never heard about this somehow amidst all her other appropriation stuff

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Skwirl posted:

What the gently caress? What was this in?

Her police procedural series that apparently takes place in the HP world, but the muggle part. The colonialist thing is due to the fact that all the all the Asian and Indian characters all speak perfectly accented english and go to an English based boarding school and some stuff about Native Americans needing to have wands explained by wizards in the colonial era in spite of being able to use magic without wands or something or other.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 5, 2020

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

I was almost 400 pounds before I got surgery and now I'm at 240 pounds and still thinning.

At some point, your body becomes an eating machine. You're always hungry and it's never enough. Everything inside of you is working to make getting thinner impossible. My doctors could explain it betetr but the deck is incredibly stacked against you at this point, it's horrifying.

So Weinstein turned into the Abzorbaloff from Doctor Who.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

doomrider7 posted:

Yeah that loving irritated me since she's loving terrible.

...loving WOW!

She wasn't right though. Depp isn't innocent at all. He's still a lovely person. It's just that Heard appears to be too.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He isn't? Just from following this thread it seems he was trying to deescalate situations and fell into a lethargic depression because of being abused. Are there concrete bad things we know for certain he did?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

doomrider7 posted:

Her police procedural series that apparently takes place in the HP world, but the muggle part. The colonialist thing is due to the fact that all the all the Asian and Indian characters all speak perfectly accented english and go to an English based boarding school and some stuff about Native Americans needing to have wands explained by wizards in the colonial era in spite of being able to use magic without wands or something or other.

What, those books are supposed to be the same universe? I only read the first one, what the loving gently caress?

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

John Wick of Dogs posted:

He isn't? Just from following this thread it seems he was trying to deescalate situations and fell into a lethargic depression because of being abused. Are there concrete bad things we know for certain he did?

The most I've seen is a video where he slammed some cabinets, and in the audio, he admits he pushed her (and maybe threw something at her?). Given the context of her punching him, slicing off the tip of his finger, berating him for trying to de-escalate hostile situations, etc, those seem to be very mild, self-defensive reactions to her abusive af behavior.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I had no idea about this Kirk Douglas business, Sheesh

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Don’t understand why so many in this thread seem immediately ready to exonerate Depp? Honestly find it creepy. I find it far easier to believe both Depp and Heard are abusive assholes, from what we have seen thus far.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Don’t understand why so many in this thread seem immediately ready to exonerate Depp? Honestly find it creepy. I find it far easier to believe both Depp and Heard are abusive assholes, from what we have seen thus far.

have you checked out that tape at all

it's some pretty horrifying poo poo and makes Heard look like a genuine monster far surpassing "rear end in a top hat" designation

e: like, your take was pretty much everyone's take before we got to be a fly on the wall for their couples' therapy session, and that's kind of what's making everyone reassess the situation.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

have you checked out that tape at all

it's some pretty horrifying poo poo and makes Heard look like a genuine monster far surpassing "rear end in a top hat" designation

e: like, your take was pretty much everyone's take before we got to be a fly on the wall for their couples' therapy session, and that's kind of what's making everyone reassess the situation.

This combined with a sort of character focus in that we know he's had substance abuse issues and physical scuffles, but most if not all of that was way in the past with the scuffles being the usual dumbass or justified behavior of fighting security guards or paparazzi respectively and never domestic violence and it really does speak a lot that all of his exes and his daughter went to bat for him.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

I had no idea about this Kirk Douglas business, Sheesh

Let's see who will come out in the days/weeks ahead.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm just gonna drop this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbKySpA2zIc

Nothing changes!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Didn't he punch Vanessa Paradi? Or was she abusive, too?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Grendels Dad posted:

Didn't he punch Vanessa Paradi? Or was she abusive, too?

I don't know, that's why I was asking. Sorry if it appeared rhetorical

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
To be honest I don't remember how/if all that got resolved, I just brought it up because at the very least Depp has a very unfortunate history of being outed as abusive by his girlfriends.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

As I recall, they did do a joint statement when this initially blew up, stating that they both got "volatile," and I don't think one angry phone call paints a clear picture anyway. At the very least, all it does is strongly suggest they were both lovely to each other, in my opinion.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

doomrider7 posted:

That courtroom sketch artist put a LOT of detail in the gross body hair, blackheads/liver spots/moles, and making him look like an absolute soapified morlock.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Grendels Dad posted:

To be honest I don't remember how/if all that got resolved, I just brought it up because at the very least Depp has a very unfortunate history of being outed as abusive by his girlfriends.

Luckily we can check such things instead of guessing. Paradis did the opposite of out him, she was one of the first to show support and said she would stand up in court to defend him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's been a few stories about his inability to not blow his money on worthless poo poo and his agent and accountant paint him to be a bit of a sociopath but there doesn't appear to be anything concrete about him attacking anyone.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
That portrait of Depp in Rolling Stone a year or so ago made it seem like he was an incredibly damaged and burned out person who can't stop drinking and has a bunch of parasitic people hovering around him all the time who treat him like a walking atm. When I read it, it reminded me of a friend of mine who is not in the greatest shape mentally, is an alcoholic, and is incredibly passive and accommodating. As a result, people take advantage of him all the time, whether it's his family, his co workers, his "friends" who just use him for drug hookups, his mentally and physically abusive ex girlfriend. I can't speak to the type of person Depp is, but the more I hear about it, the more familiar it sounds.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Rhyno posted:

There's been a few stories about his inability to not blow his money on worthless poo poo and his agent and accountant paint him to be a bit of a sociopath but there doesn't appear to be anything concrete about him attacking anyone.

candle culture run amok

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

Yeah Era is...a place. It's distilled Neogaf which makes sense since it spawned from the break of with current Neogaf being uber right to alt-right and Resetera being the opposite. It's not the worst place especially if you're lefty, but even then there's a walking on eggshells feel that's really uncomfortable at times.

Edit: Here's the page.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ju....167967/page-17

AFAIK Resetera was founded because one of the big name mods on Neogaf was outed as a sex pest, I'm gonna guess whatever alt-right takeover happened after the split.

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 6, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I bought into Depp being abusive because the guy has the amount of money you should never run out of yet is going bankrupt just from wine.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The guy was buying the kind of six-figures-a-case wines that other rich people use as an investment asset and just shotgunning them instead of saving them, there was a bleakly hilarious line in that rolling stone article of his accountant being equal parts mystified, horrified, and angered by him doing it

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

AFAIK Resetera was founded because one of the big name mods on Neogaf was outed as a sex pest, I'm gonna guess whatever alt-right takeover happened after the split.

The owner of the site was basically Me Too'd. A story came out that he had been out drinking with a female friend. They went back to where they were staying (maybe a hotel, can't remember). She vomited so she decided to take a shower to clean up. He stepped into her shower naked without her permission. They weren't dating. A friend of the lady was a Gaf user, and when he found out he posted an esoteric thread without naming names talking about how distraught it made him, and it was closed and OP was banned. Eventually the story came out while the owner was in crisis mode banning people etc. A bunch of users and mods left, some started Resetera. Edit: I'll note that many users had been fed up with Gaf moderation in general at that time as well.

Someone also unearthed an old post of the owner's where he slapped a stranger's rear end while he was on vacation, and was pretty gross talking about it. But the main thing was the shower story.

catapede fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 6, 2020

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The guy was buying the kind of six-figures-a-case wines that other rich people use as an investment asset and just shotgunning them instead of saving them, there was a bleakly hilarious line in that rolling stone article of his accountant being equal parts mystified, horrified, and angered by him doing it

Big Jack Sparrow energy

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

The Rolling Stone article ends with his accountant convincing him to finally sell one of the multiple estates he owns and only visits twice a year. Then a few days later Depp received a phone call from his daughter who found out he was trying to sell the house she was born in and begged him not to, so he pulled the listing. He doesn't seem like a guy who makes very good decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

His commitment to being the best drunk ever is fairly impressive.