Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Sign up for Disney+ free trial... take a look around... start adding things to watchlist... keep adding things... keep adding things...

Ok, I can see the appeal. Disney owns so much of my childhood. Half this poo poo I either forgot existed or had no idea Disney had. I'm gonna watch me some White Fang and Rocketeer. I can see how I would decide not to cancel this.

That's odd because I heard it was DOOMED and FAIL and a huge MISTAKE but where did I hear that :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Not me, I don't think. The "they hosed up" folks seem to just think its all about the Netflix and Hulu thing and debuting new content constantly with a loaded schedule. I figured it was gonna be carried fine by the vault but I did kind of have that underestimated to "just" MCU/Star Wars/Simpsons/Disney Movies/Disney Channel stuff. I kind of forgot how many movies were "Disney Movies" beyond just the classic animated stuff or how much animated stuff Marvel had or like wildlife documentary stuff and more. I even kind of forgot they had the Muppets. Definitely underestimated how much Disney owns.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No it wasn't you. In yesterday's earnings call Iger said D+ is up to 26m subs from 10m at launch, with about 20% being from the Verizon deal (a smaller proportion than the 33% at launch) Looks like all the new MCU stuff will hit before those subs lapse anyway, so that'll be the incentive to re-up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One of the first things I did with Disney+ was fire up Flight of the Navigator and disappear into a nostalgia hole.

Been so long since I've seen the whole movie and never in HD. The SFX still hold up really well (some of the earliest use of CGI) and it's nice that it doesn't have mustache twirling bad guys. The antagonists are nuanced, they aren't bad guys and generally mean well if they are a bit misguided.

I loved the movie as a kid and it holds up I think.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Wasn't Willow the one about the lady who turns into a hawk? I didn't like it but the 5 pointed twirly ninja star was pretty cool.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Croatoan posted:

Wasn't Willow the one about the lady who turns into a hawk? I didn't like it but the 5 pointed twirly ninja star was pretty cool.

No, that's Krull. Willow has a character falling in love with... A bird? Chicken?

I don't remember a hawk woman in Krull, but a guy turns into a hawk or eagle to meet a fantasy movie woman in the series Maniac.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
No, Willow definitely had a lady that turned into a hawk and I think a dude also turned into a wolf or something at night? There is definitely a really buff devil dude in it with like big horns or something.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Buff dude with big horns was Legend.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The unicorn's horn wobble in Willow was a bit too obvious, and Tom Cruise was a little too sexy. Though even if you don't like the movie, you've gotta admit it was rad when James Earl Jones turned into a snake.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Perhaps you are thinking of the Matthew Broderick movie Ladyhawke

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I just finished reading The City and the City and I was thinking it would make a good TV show and it turns out that they already made it a couple of years ago. Anyone watch it?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

feedmyleg posted:

The unicorn's horn wobble in Willow was a bit too obvious, and Tom Cruise was a little too sexy. Though even if you don't like the movie, you've gotta admit it was rad when James Earl Jones turned into a snake.

Stop I'm having a stroke

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Can I get a horn wobble

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Pigs! You're all pigs!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How's the new Curb season shaking out?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

feedmyleg posted:

hysterical, but I just love Larry David being a shithead

he's caught up in a sexual harassment lawsuit this season that he absolutely did, but accidentally (tripped into a waitress and touched her boob), and he looks guilty as hell when combined with all the other idiosyncratic poo poo he does like use a piece of fabric hanging from his secretary's shirt to clean his glasses so people keep adding themselves to the lawsuit.

And everybody keeps screaming gently caress YOU PIECE OF poo poo at Jeff as they walk around because they think he's harvey weinstein

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
If there are any Survivor fans on here, I can not recommend the latest episode of Australian Survivor enough (episode 3). It was one of the best episodes of the show in history (including the US version).

It's one of those masterfully told end to end episodes so you don't need to watch anything prior, and the show (and this episode in particular) does a fine job of filling in gaps with flashbacks and previously ons.

Check it out with a VPN on the tenplay site or PM me if you're having trouble finding it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bull3964 posted:

One of the first things I did with Disney+ was fire up Flight of the Navigator and disappear into a nostalgia hole.

Whenever friends come to town, and I get to take them round I excitedly point out the Flight of the Navigator house (the first one, not the one they move to). Nobody ever cares as much as me. The movie absolutely holds up too, I agree.

(The house is worth about $4.5m, which I assume includes the parking space for the space ship at that price).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/rawstory/status/1225069881671942145?s=21

The Super Bowl halftime show is coincidentally also the super bowl of performative outrage

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

bull3964 posted:

Been so long since I've seen the whole movie and never in HD. The SFX still hold up really well (some of the earliest use of CGI) and it's nice that it doesn't have mustache twirling bad guys. The antagonists are nuanced, they aren't bad guys and generally mean well if they are a bit misguided.

I loved the movie as a kid and it holds up I think.

Seeing A Goofy Movie in HD and in widescreen after a lifetime of the only home releases being VHS and a pan-and-scan fullscreen DVD was similarly fantastic. The only omission that I really miss is the 90s Honey, I Shrunk the Kids series because that show was hilariously weird and unhinged, like I've been watching it on YouTube and I might put together a thread because every other episode sounds like a shitpost on the plot description.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/rawstory/status/1225069881671942145?s=21

The Super Bowl halftime show is coincidentally also the super bowl of performative outrage

This is the one thing they definitely wanted to happen.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sleeveless posted:

Seeing A Goofy Movie in HD and in widescreen after a lifetime of the only home releases being VHS and a pan-and-scan fullscreen DVD was similarly fantastic. The only omission that I really miss is the 90s Honey, I Shrunk the Kids series because that show was hilariously weird and unhinged, like I've been watching it on YouTube and I might put together a thread because every other episode sounds like a shitpost on the plot description.

Woah, woah, woah, that show was real? I thought it was some kind of fever dream or mashed together memories. This is like when I found out Cartoon All Stars to the Rescue actually existed.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Croatoan posted:

No, Willow definitely had a lady that turned into a hawk and I think a dude also turned into a wolf or something at night? There is definitely a really buff devil dude in it with like big horns or something.

Might be thinking of Ladyhawke with Michelle Pfeiffer and Rutger Hauer

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089457/

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Woah, woah, woah, that show was real? I thought it was some kind of fever dream or mashed together memories. This is like when I found out Cartoon All Stars to the Rescue actually existed.

Stuart Gordon, John Landis, and Savage Steve Holland all had involvement in it and the show is just like a great mix of no budget and huge ambition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfv5zeOKxU4

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

I'm finally getting around to watching this. Halfway through season 3. I know he's an rear end in a top hat, but is it wrong that I agree with Larry the majority of the time? Sure, I wouldn't go about it the same way but I just.. . get him.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

So far I think it’s only ok, but still enjoyable enough to watch. The sexual harassment stuff is pretty fun, even if it’s already well-mined territory at this point, but the other main storyline of Larry opening a coffee shop is pretty weak.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

I'm finally getting around to watching this. Halfway through season 3. I know he's an rear end in a top hat, but is it wrong that I agree with Larry the majority of the time? Sure, I wouldn't go about it the same way but I just.. . get him.

Most of Curb is about how Larry is an rear end in a top hat but everyone around him is even worse

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Looten Plunder posted:

That's what makes it work so well. I totally sympathize with him, while also recognizing that he often takes it way too far, to his own downfall. But then that becomes schadenfreude too.

Escobarbarian posted:

Most of Curb is about how Larry is an rear end in a top hat but everyone around him is even worse

True, but that varies. Sometimes he definitely is the rear end in a top hat in the episode.

But like, Seinfeld (obviously) or Its Always Sunny are all about the lovable assholes, where you both identify with them but also look down on them, so you can both laugh WITH and AT them at the same time.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Larry is that part of yourself that you know is right but can't discuss in polite company.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I know the man was 103, but I’m still bummed Kirk Douglas died.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1225209331303505920

hmmmm. I thought the other guy left because of creative differences i.e. it's not gonna be straight horror

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I like Sam Raimi and he proved that superhero films could be good and didn't have to automatically suck. However, I don't know if I want Sam Raimi style movies in the MCU. And I guess if you look at the original evil dead it was kind of a horror film for the most part? It was still kind of silly though.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just looked at my calendar for see what's coming up and holy poo poo Homeland is in it's 8th season

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Croatoan posted:

I like Sam Raimi and he proved that superhero films could be good and didn't have to automatically suck. However, I don't know if I want Sam Raimi style movies in the MCU. And I guess if you look at the original evil dead it was kind of a horror film for the most part? It was still kind of silly though.

Horror comedy is his wheelhouse

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Imagine the logistics of filming an episode of scrubs. Yes we'll set up an entire open area like the Westminster dog show for the JD imagines he’s a show dog being inspected by dr Cox 28 second fantasy sequence

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Man, I loved Scrubs when it aired but I should not have tried rewatching it last year. It is extremely of-its-time and JD’s constant relationship troubles and insecurities wear real thin by the third season.

Also Dr. Cox isn’t as funny now, he just comes off as a cruel rear end in a top hat.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Digital Jedi posted:

Just looked at my calendar for see what's coming up and holy poo poo Homeland is in it's 8th season

Didn't they elect a Russian spy as president several seasons back?

Are they coasting on all the praise and hype from season 1 because I have not seen mention of Homeland in years.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's a solid/fun spy show ever since they got rid of Brody and more importantly his annoying family. The president isn't a spy but she is a tyrant.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

muscles like this! posted:

I just finished reading The City and the City and I was thinking it would make a good TV show and it turns out that they already made it a couple of years ago. Anyone watch it?

It was good. It’s been some years since I last read the book so I can’t remember how faithful the show was. But they probably represented the two cities as well as possible on a visual medium.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

It's a solid/fun spy show ever since they got rid of Brody and more importantly his annoying family. The president isn't a spy but she is a tyrant.

What season did they get rid of brody and can I just pick it up there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

Daniel Radcliff needs to get in on all this rebooting.

He's currently playing the polar opposite of Harry Potter in Miracle Workers: Dark Ages. I wasn't totally impressed with their first season, but this one is showing promise.