Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
allergies are possible but i'm starting to wonder if it's a yeast infection? her ears are suddenly showing some symptoms of irritation too. i really like our vet but it sucks how long it can be to get an appointment scheduled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MistressMeeps
Dec 27, 2017

BraveUlysses posted:

allergies are possible but i'm starting to wonder if it's a yeast infection? her ears are suddenly showing some symptoms of irritation too. i really like our vet but it sucks how long it can be to get an appointment scheduled

Yeast infections can be related to allergies due to the slightly comprised immune system allowing bacterial overgrowth. It's pretty common to see an infection start up in the ears and/or between the hind legs from allergies. Source: my vet because my dog has allergies and yeast infections. And allergies to yeast infections. Yay.

Also, if your dog has SUPER hairy inner ears, you might want to take a look at getting them plucked and cleaning them periodically. It'll help prevent infections.

I hope you can get into to your vet soon.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Did an Embark breed test for this little mutt.

We were told yorkie corgi because that’s what mom was (and dad was nowhere in the picture, the shelter only deals with pregnant dogs and their litters.)

Well, uh...

Chihuahua and Aussie!? The rest make sense, and he’s got the long and low body so dachsund could certainly be the wildcard ancestor.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 25, 2020

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Does anyone have pet health insurance?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Medullah posted:

Does anyone have pet health insurance?

I do Care Credit.

I still haven't heard anyone say anything great about pet health insurance. I figure the point is to prevent having to pay a bunch of money at once and Care Credit works for that.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My dog had an insurance policy through... well, they got acquired a couple of times over the years, but I think they were most recently 24 Hour PetWatch?

We didn't specifically get it for health coverage -- and fortunately never had to use it for that -- but because the policy we had also covered damages done by a pet to rental property. We got it to give our landlord peace of mind when we decided to adopt a large dog despite our rental house's "no pets" policy. (Our lease was coming up, so we were prepared to move. Fortunately, the landlord decided he'd rather risk a dog than lose his tenants.)

I can't speak to other companies, but the health benefit on ours wasn't great. Basically, if there was a catastrophic health condition or accident, they'd cover 50% up to a certain limit, after deductibles and co-pays. It didn't cover vet visits, immunizations, preventatives, or anything like that.

There was also a long list of disqualifying circumstances -- things like your pet getting injured at a dog park, and a very general "off leash" policy which was not very consumer-friendly. (Basically, the way it read, if you had your dog on a leash, and he somehow got away from you and ran into traffic, they may not have to cover it because the dog technically wasn't on a leash when it got hit. Grr.)

So... Maybe not worth it?

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 4, 2020

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
From stories I’ve heard most pet insurance policies don’t cover any of the stuff you’d want or expect it to so you end up paying extra for no real benefit.

You’d be better off setting up a savings account and just deposit into it what the monthly insurance costs would be.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

GoodBee posted:

I do Care Credit.

I still haven't heard anyone say anything great about pet health insurance. I figure the point is to prevent having to pay a bunch of money at once and Care Credit works for that.

Same, I looked into pet insurance at some point last year due to my cat and while the best case scenario is that insurance is throwing money into a black hole, pet insurance was throwing a lot of money into a black hole for almost no real benefit.

The Care Credit stuff was great and I was able to open and use my account immediately for my cat's surgery, and it gave me breathing room to deal with that charge which was nice.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
I have Trupanion and it's worked out great for me. I know that some people have major issues with pet insurance though so I get it.

Question: how often do your dogs poop? Sherlock changed from raw food to kibble and has been pooping between two and three times a day. Is this some weird transition period or is this normal? Is it time to call our vet?? They're normal poops so I'm not too worried. But I don't remember him ever pooping this much before...

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Has been at least 2 weeks since switching food? I seem to remember that being a minimum adjustment time before worrying or something.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
my dog is a making GBS threads machine and tbh it seems to vary between 2-4 times a day

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My vet always tells me so long as the consistency and color is good there's no reason to worry.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I get 1-3 poops typically, but they're usually all on the same walk.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

2-4 times a day, generally in the 3-4 range.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Sometimes I think my little dog would be happier in a different home.

She's on chill pills and incontinence drugs. She's nervous most of the time when the other two dogs get near "her space" (my bed). I brought her to visit my mom over the holidays, since no one wants to watch her dumb rear end and give her pills twice a day. She seemed happier while we were there. To be fair, I was also around almost all the time and apparently when I ran to the store, the little dog whined the whole time.

Then i remember i got her from a kill shelter in an area where there are currently 1,700+ dogs for adoption within 100 miles.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
We're very happy with the Banfield annual plan. It's by no means insurance but it covers all your annual checkups including a dental cleaning a cheaper price than I've seen at any other vet.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

bamhand posted:

We're very happy with the Banfield annual plan. It's by no means insurance but it covers all your annual checkups including a dental cleaning a cheaper price than I've seen at any other vet.

Not a fan of Banfields in my area. The Mars Corp vets seem to be much worse in general IMO. But if yours has good veterinarians it's absolutely a great deal.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I have Pets Plus after some pretty thorough research. It doesn’t cover regular wellness or dental but that’s not what I got it for. Care Credit and such can cover a one-off accident or illness up to the credit limit, but my insurance covers long term illness and cancer that I would never be able to afford on my own. It’s not perfect but I figure $55 a month for 2 dogs is reasonable for some peace of mind.

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

so my roommate has this dog
an 11 year old st bernard.
this bitch has massive ear infections, and is incontinent. even her piss will make me loving wretch.
its ruining my life and her owner has like depression or something and is to busy selling nudes to fund her percoset and anime all day lifestyle to do anything serious about the loving S M E L L. (theres resentment here)
she acknowledges it, and is apologetic but basically only does the bare minimum about it. she mostly keeps her quarantined in her room but this dog is basically a hospice case suffering in our tiny brooklyn apartment.

i come to ask for help. so far ive just been coping with candles and sprays and oil burners and all incense and poo poo to at least mask it in the living room. i feel like no matter how aromatic i get the essence of piss lingers though.

are there any strats for mitigating the smells presence? home deep cleaning techniques or certain products that can help elimate the absorbed odor in the hardwood and furniture and things?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Jellidelic posted:

are there any strats for mitigating the smells presence? home deep cleaning techniques or certain products that can help elimate the absorbed odor in the hardwood and furniture and things?

https://www.petsmart.com/dog/cleani...over-47036.html

I've been using this and the sprayer is great. You have to use at least as much cleaner as there was pee.

It must work since my mom didn't mention my house smelled like pee.

Also having a fan on to circulate air helps too.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
How do I teach my puppy to stop darting after the cats the second one enters the room?

One cat really doesn't like him and I don't want the dog to charge after him and give him a good swipe.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
hi, so I have a little guy named max who seems to have developed a little bit of swelling under his left eye with some clear discharge. Its only swollen in the last day or so:

its a soft swelling and doesn't appear to be causing him too much pain. The vet clinic over the phone said it was probably not an emergency, but just wondering if anyone else has experience treating a bum eye in their doggo. Thanks for any advice.

bonus normal appearance pic

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

You can use an OTC saline eye wash and a cool compress, if he'll let you. Nothing medicated and don't rub it. If your dog is poking/rubbing it, cone him.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My dog is at the groomers while i clean the house, and I’m thinking of buying this to keep it clean for longer.

Makes her quieter too, and no more midnight puddles.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

GoodBee posted:

You can use an OTC saline eye wash and a cool compress, if he'll let you. Nothing medicated and don't rub it. If your dog is poking/rubbing it, cone him.

Thanks. We used a hot compress initially. Should we alternate between hot and cold?

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

How do I teach my puppy to stop darting after the cats the second one enters the room?

One cat really doesn't like him and I don't want the dog to charge after him and give him a good swipe.

Good luck. Our dog is two years old and although better, still occasionally goes after the cat. The cat is pretty good at defending herself though and a few swats on the nose from the cat puts the dog in his place.

Probably not much you can do apart from time, and once your puppy is listening to stay commands, rewards for not going after the cat.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I went to get the mail and since Apollo freaks out if I leave him behind, I asked him to come with me.... but he had a pig skin to chew on and didn't want to leave it behind. And I wouldn't let him bring it, so.... he dropped it. And acted afraid of the leash as if I was going to kennel him -- but perked up outside. Did his business, helped me with the mail, and DRAGGED ME HOME AT TOP SPEED YOU HAVE THE MAIL LET'S GO IN I NEED MY CHEWIE

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

ex post facho posted:

Thanks. We used a hot compress initially. Should we alternate between hot and cold?

Maybe? I think hot/cold help different causes. I don't know that either one hurts as far as first aid goes.

My hound dog had a little bit of swelling one day and I think I just used a wet compress, not hot or cold. She wouldn't let me flush it and it went away the next day.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My partner and I are caring for a 12 year old Golden Retriever for the next 5 months. She regularly licks her joints after moderate activity (getting to run free in the park, mostly rolling in the snow and such). Is it possible to give her Aspirin or something similar?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

There aren't any OTC pain medications for dogs but a vet can prescribe something.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Professor Shark posted:

My partner and I are caring for a 12 year old Golden Retriever for the next 5 months. She regularly licks her joints after moderate activity (getting to run free in the park, mostly rolling in the snow and such). Is it possible to give her Aspirin or something similar?
Our older labradoodle developed some pretty bad arthritis in his later years. The vet recommended Cosequin (you can buy it OTC). It's a supplement, and I am super skeptical of supplements. But we gave it a try, and it made a huge improvement to his pain level and mobility.

There are a few prescription things that may help too (and our old man was on a bunch of them), but none had a huge, immediate effect like the Cosequin did.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

WhiteHowler posted:

Our older labradoodle developed some pretty bad arthritis in his later years. The vet recommended Cosequin (you can buy it OTC). It's a supplement, and I am super skeptical of supplements. But we gave it a try, and it made a huge improvement to his pain level and mobility.

There are a few prescription things that may help too (and our old man was on a bunch of them), but none had a huge, immediate effect like the Cosequin did.

We use dasequin (spelling might be slightly off) for our dog, is that what you mean or is cosequin a similar supplement?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Update on Max -

I ended up taking him in to urgent care as the swelling increased over the day, including on his cheek, and I wanted to make sure that it wasn't cutting off the vasculature to his eye. After a few hours they ended up doing a corneal swab (no scratches or detectable foreign objects) with a stain, gave him a benadryl injection and cone and sent us home with carprofen anti-inflammatories and an antibacterial salve for his eyelid. He ended up sleeping through the night and this morning we woke up and the swelling had drastically reduced with just a little drainage. :)

On pet insurance, I think it's pretty worthless unless you literally ensure your animal from birth. My other dog, a ~6yo German Shepherd female, recently had some allergy issues and arthritis concerns, and despite seeing the vet for those conditions the day the insurance kicked in (my thinking being that, well surely those couldn't be denied as pre-existing conditions then, right?) they were denied as both pre-existing and chronic and unable to be covered, and would be denied for all future claims going forward. The main reasons I'd take her to the vet. As others have said, it seems a lot smarter to just put away some money each month on your own and use it for animal emergencies. Pet insurance is a scam and even worse than the human health insurance situation. Ludicrous to pay $140/month only to be denied on every claim.

I also just recently started giving my GSD a few chewable tablets of chondroitin and glucosamine (1800/1400mg) after she started having some limping issues, and her mobility and energy levels improved greatly. I haven't tried cosequin yet but it seems like it could be a good option as well.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

MF_James posted:

We use dasequin (spelling might be slightly off) for our dog, is that what you mean or is cosequin a similar supplement?
We started with Dasequin, but it was very expensive at the time, and we didn't see much of an effect after a month of trying it.

The vet recommend we try Cosequin, which is a similar supplement and costs much less (or did then, it was about 6 years ago). After a few weeks on it, the dog's arthritis seemed measurably better.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

ledge posted:

Good luck. Our dog is two years old and although better, still occasionally goes after the cat. The cat is pretty good at defending herself though and a few swats on the nose from the cat puts the dog in his place.

Probably not much you can do apart from time, and once your puppy is listening to stay commands, rewards for not going after the cat.

I think honestly the best course of action is to get him a friend puppy. I'm trying to buy a house so I'm not gonna deal with that until after that, of course, but I figure a friend who's on the same page as him is not the worst thing to have.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Can you guys recommend safe chewable toys for my puppy? I’m seeing contradictory opinions on bones, bully sticks, rawhide, greenies, nylabones... she definitely loves greenies, a bone that had a smoked skin on it, and some kind of rawhide alternative chew stick, but if they’re a risk I’m not going to give her any more.

Pet tax, here’s Cali

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

We were turned on to yak milk chews by a trainer. Our dog rips through rawhide and bully sticks too quick to be worth it for the calories (and destroys almost all plushies instantly) but these actually last a while.

General advice is to keep an eye on your dog when you give them a thing to make sure they don’t try to swallow giant chunks of it and choke, and I think that’ll hold for almost anything that’s intended to be chewed on.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 17, 2020

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
how do i get my dog to stop eating fuckin everything

socks, shoes, toilet paper

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Boxman posted:

We were turned on to yak milk chews by a trainer. Our dog rips through rawhide and bully sticks too quick to be worth it for the calories (and destroys almost all plushies instantly) but these actually last a while.

General advice is to keep an eye on your dog when you give them a thing to make sure they don’t try to swallow giant chunks of it and choke, and I think that’ll hold for almost anything that’s intended to be chewed on.

If you're referring to what I think you are, it smells like rear end but when you get down to small pieces of the Himalaya bones, you can microwave them, they will puff up and soften (let it cool first) so that your dog can finish eating it without choking on the small pieces.

I actually found beef cheek rolls to be cheap, long lasting and my dog really loves them. They don't have the gastro side effects of bully sticks or rawhide chews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My dog doesn't chew rawhide toys, he just gets really excited and wants to be let out back with them so he can bury them. So I tell him to drop the toy, then open the back door, he runs out, gets confused, and then comes back inside.

He chews on Nylabones at least. I just wish I could give him the occasional chewtoy treat that he wouldn't try to save for later.