Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
So it turns out the Iowa Democratic Party is probably no kidding stealing votes from Bernie

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1225167351617712128

That this happened while I was watching The Man Who Short Liberty Valance is kinda fitting. Good movie, loved Edmond O’Brien as one of the best scene-chewing drunks of all the silver screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

And no one of consequence will be reprimanded. This country is a loving joke.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

therattle posted:

She'd never be able to do with the Indy name for copyright reasons, but as a standalone it would be great.

If they weren't loving cowards she could do it with the Indy name for Disney, but I also don't think she'd ever work for Disney.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Got my two first picks for the Glasgow Film Festival:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3z-7HsSXKY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhjqvb60LLw

Les Mis also looks awesome but that will no doubt be out later as well.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Vincent posted:

It's a solid B+ movie.

It does have a campy entertainment factor, I will give you that. And, this cannot be stressed enough, lots of hot shirtless men.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

So it turns out the Iowa Democratic Party is probably no kidding stealing votes from Bernie

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1225167351617712128

That this happened while I was watching The Man Who Short Liberty Valance is kinda fitting. Good movie, loved Edmond O’Brien as one of the best scene-chewing drunks of all the silver screen.

So educate a filthy foreigner here, if the county says "You got our count wrong, this is what we counted", do they correct the erronous numbers and delegate delegates appropriatly?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

McCloud posted:

So educate a filthy foreigner here, if the county says "You got our count wrong, this is what we counted", do they correct the erronous numbers and delegate delegates appropriatly?

Who loving knows! Back in 2000 in Florida, Al Gore won more votes than George W Bush but his margin was thin enough that it triggered an automatic recount, but the Supreme Court (with at least one judge placed there by W’s daddy) stepped in and declared Bush the winner, thus giving Florida’s electoral votes to Bush and making him President. American elections are screwy as poo poo and this caucus is a giant game of Numberwang designed to gently caress over Bernie Sanders.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

McCloud posted:

It does have a campy entertainment factor, I will give you that. And, this cannot be stressed enough, lots of hot shirtless men.

Ahahaha, no one loving knows, they're going to make up the rules as they go along.

We run our elections worse than countries we invaded over lovely elections.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I heard Trump gave a shout out to the guy who failed to stage an illegal and unpopular coup in Venezuela during his SotU too, which is all kinds of hosed up.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Who loving knows! Back in 2000 in Florida, Al Gore won more votes than George W Bush but his margin was thin enough that it triggered an automatic recount, but the Supreme Court (with at least one judge placed there by W’s daddy) stepped in and declared Bush the winner, thus giving Florida’s electoral votes to Bush and making him President. American elections are screwy as poo poo and this caucus is a giant game of Numberwang designed to gently caress over Bernie Sanders.

It's worth noting that Bush's initial claim to winning Florida was based on Fox News announcing his victory before the votes were tallied.

That first Bush term continues to do damage that the US is barely starting to reckon with.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Kirk Douglas finally croaked. One less rapist in the world.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/people/status/1225196365417996290

Rip, fellow. Might watch Paths of Glory tonight.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

McCloud posted:

At this point, the actual vote no longer matters. In America, we have elections every year, all year round - and something like a primary or a caucus night are basically just a theater put on between the established political parties and our mainstream news conglomerates. This was all supposed to be over Monday evening, with the eye for the networks to basically wash out as many of the contenders as possible from a "real world" litmus test of active democratic voters, before moving on to Trump's state of the union address. But there were irresolvable and opaque "technical difficulties" so now we're going into the second day after the SotU and we don't actually have a full resolution to the Monday night T.V. event.

The Iowa Democratic Caucus and the DNC had plausibility deniability for maybe the first twenty-four hours. Now they're literally just waiting for as few people to be paying attention as possible before they report the "score" for the Monday night game. And I don't need to tell you, nobody waits around that long to hear the score of a game. Regardless of whether or not there was some willful ratfuckery, the Democratic Party establishment and the mainstream media, at this point, are doing damage control for just how terribly Biden and Warren performed, and how much this completely torpedoes the narrative they've been spinning for the past two years about their "electability" to "average Americans" over Bernie Sanders, who is, even if he would still lose both the popular vote and delegate pledges to Pete Buttigieg, clearly the frontrunner once you actually try giving a predictive model of who's going to take the whole primary. With ratfuckery, though... That basically means you can look forward to reading about Trump's re-election and the total schism between a liberal and left opposition in U.S. politics.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Fund Lexi Alexander's take on a black indy who rescues cultural artifacts from white graverobbers, you cowards

I similarly joked about Indy earlier, but to be fair he rescues an artifact to its rightful owners in Temple of Doom

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Safety Factor posted:

Googling "smart hat" has led me to discover that people are actually making hats with bone conduction speakers, microphones, and bluetooth connectivity and poo poo. Why.

These assholes can keep their smart hats. I'm sticking with knife hat.

McCloud posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWhtPByViJU

Vincent posted:

Kirk Douglas finally croaked. One less rapist in the world.

Uhhh, what?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

These assholes can keep their smart hats. I'm sticking with knife hat.
:same:

The smartest hat.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Oh good. Things are as bleak as ever in the US political landscape. Fantastic.

And now I find myself applauding Mitt loving Romney of all people. This really is the worst loving timeline.

CPL593H posted:

Uhhh, what?

Kirk Douglas is rumored to have raped Natalie Wood back in the 50's, and was apparently a Weinstein-esque figure in Old Hollywood.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/HistoryMuppet/status/1225275511204610060

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

McCloud posted:

And now I find myself applauding Mitt loving Romney of all people. This really is the worst loving timeline.
Things are looking up in Iowa. :unsmith:

They basically counted precincts in the exact way necessary to give Pete maximum air time as the lead candidate.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

McCloud posted:

Kirk Douglas is rumored to have raped Natalie Wood back in the 50's, and was apparently a Weinstein-esque figure in Old Hollywood.

Well that's loving terrible.

Safety Factor posted:

Things are looking up in Iowa. :unsmith:

They basically counted precincts in the exact way necessary to give Pete maximum air time as the lead candidate.

For all the numerous reasons I hate Pete Buttigieg, perhaps the top reason is that he's made me see a silver lining to homophobia in that he definitely can't get elected.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’m sure most of Ford V Ferrari is lies but who cares, they’re FUN lies

The race scenes are amazing

Edit: apparently the ending is real, and it’s infuriating how stupid it was IRL

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 6, 2020

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Good start to the day.

Car broke down on the way to work.

Had to take the bus.

Additionally bleeding from the stump.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Upside:

happened by a gas station near my street instead of on the freeway.

Same as a couple of years ago when I started vomiting uncontrollably just as I pulled out of the parking lot. Not very pleasant but preferable to it happening in traffic.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
A bleeding stump sounds bloody painful.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I’m sure most of Ford V Ferrari is lies but who cares, they’re FUN lies

The race scenes are amazing

Edit: apparently the ending is real, and it’s infuriating how stupid it was IRL
I didn't think that movie was all that great, to be honest. Felt like a movie from another decade and pretty by the numbers. Heck, the driver for Ferrari didn't have any lines and, as far as I can tell, his only character trait was "swarthy".

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I agree for the most part but the car scenes were so fun I didn’t care

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I feel I can never trust any review that raves about car movies because I just could not give less of a poo poo about cars. Car people always seem to tack on a few extra stars just because of vroom vroom.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I’m not a car person

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
C’mon FML, don’t you like fun

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

C’mon FML, don’t you like fun

In my experience, no. He doesn’t really enjoy laughing either. Odd.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I agree for the most part but the car scenes were so fun I didn’t care
Yeah, the car scenes were pretty well done, I'll happily give them that. I guess I was hoping the rest of the movie would have been more substantial. It's not like the cast wasn't capable.

Like I said, it feels like it's from another decade and I kind of mean that as a compliment. If it had come out in the 90s it would probably be fondly remembered. As-is, it's just going to be forgotten.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think fun is bad and I don't care who knows it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

McCloud posted:

Lol don’t, Mitt doesn’t give a gently caress and he’s just doing this for PR and goodwill from liberals.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Lol don’t, Mitt doesn’t give a gently caress and he’s just doing this for PR and goodwill from liberals.

Yeah, mitt is 100% doing this because he thinks that if Trump gets a second term, he can run for prez in 2024 and pick up lib votes by appearing as the safe and sane option.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Bernie Sanders will make privately owned vehicles illegal and release more fast and furious movies to compensate.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Look, you don't have to make up reasons for me to vote for him.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

duz posted:

Look, you don't have to make up reasons for me to vote for him.

No i know this thread is already solid bernie territory. That was sort of a “post-as-vision-board” experiment. If I type lies here with enough conviction and pureness of heart, maybe they’ll manifest out in meatspace.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I watched the 3 hour Director's Cut of Doctor Sleep, and I've never seen the theatrical version but I have a hard time seeing how they can cut 30 minutes out. Everything seemed pretty crucial to the plot and from what I read apparently the theatrical cut even drops the whole chapter format so it's almost like they're two different films. I'll have to check it out at some point to compare.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I watched the 3 hour Director's Cut of Doctor Sleep, and I've never seen the theatrical version but I have a hard time seeing how they can cut 30 minutes out. Everything seemed pretty crucial to the plot and from what I read apparently the theatrical cut even drops the whole chapter format so it's almost like they're two different films. I'll have to check it out at some point to compare.

But was it good?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I liked the theatrical cut of Doctor Sleep a lot up until the final act, which kinda killed the momentum of the movie. Yeah, I know it’s about Danny Torrence but spending the entire finale reminding people Stanley Kubrick’s The Shining exists was pretty drat weak, and wasn’t as emotionally fulfilling as the story required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

But was it good?

Yea it's good. Maybe not great, although I typically need to rewatch something to distinguish between good and great. It's mostly a performance driven movie though, Ferguson, McGregor, and the young actress who plays the girl are all excellent and most scenes have at least one of them.

It's not as visually stunning as The Shining though, which I suppose is obvious and probably not a fair criticism. But if you're looking for something that is on the level of Kubrick technically, no it's not gonna clear that bar. But as a followup to the story of The Shining, it works extremely well and does a good job of walking that tightrope between callbacks to the original and new ideas.