Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I have the Onager and Starhawk inbound from Miniature Market. Never again. They waited until the 31st to even make them available for preorders, and they needed up to 3 days to process and ship. Bleh.

I was doing a round of a RitR campaign at my FLGS and they do discounts on bigger purchases, such as Onagers, and I ended up getting a second one. Solely because of a list I came up with, Assistant to the Regional Onager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

MJP posted:

I have the Onager and Starhawk inbound from Miniature Market. Never again. They waited until the 31st to even make them available for preorders, and they needed up to 3 days to process and ship. Bleh.

I was doing a round of a RitR campaign at my FLGS and they do discounts on bigger purchases, such as Onagers, and I ended up getting a second one. Solely because of a list I came up with, Assistant to the Regional Onager.

Onagers are gonna be EVERYWHERE and I definitely bought two.

They are like the platonic ideal of the Imperial Claymore strategy: "Front Towards Enemy"

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Val Helmethead posted:

Onagers are gonna be EVERYWHERE and I definitely bought two.

They are like the platonic ideal of the Imperial Claymore strategy: "Front Towards Enemy"

Speed 1, all Onagers and ISDs, General Romodi

List name: "Fight in the Shade"

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Onagers Gonna Onage
Onage Juice (From Concentrate {Fire})
Onager Night at the Improv

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
I spent big and bought more ships to make both a basic Imp and Reb list so I can play with a friend who mostly plays X-Wing.

Current stuff I own:
Core set (VSD, Neb and CR90, and squadrons)
1x Rebel Squadron expansion
1x Rebel Transport expansion
1x Home One
1x Imperial Gladiator
1x Imperial Assault Carriers

I'm so new to the game I don't even know how to make a decent lost from this. I've got all associated cards etc that comes with the above. Any ideas on making both a Rebel and Imperial list of near-same points that could be interesting, and explaining why?

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I'm kind of sad, I went to the local game shop that's been open in my town for a few months now, and they only have Legion and X-Wing... no Armada stuff. :(

I was going Rebels, so I have:
Core Set
Home One MC80
Assault Frigate MkII

I want to pick up both Squadron Pack Is in case they go out of print, too.

Seems like I should be able to build a basic list with what I got though, I've just been a bit lazy, and my only buddy who was getting into the game unfortunately lost his Imperial ships in a house fire. :(:(

I don't want to derail the thread, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say I really really wish that they could apply the Star Trek license to this ruleset, or a close derivative. You could possibly drop the fighter element entirely, and you wouldn't need the 2-flotilla rule revision, since most factions would be running a lot of small ships anyway. Starfleet would be running Defiants/Mirandas, Klingons would have loads of Birds of Prey and K'Tingas, Dominion would have a lot of Jem'Hadar bugships, etc.

I know there's Star Trek: Attack Wing out there, but almost all the ships are the same scale :wtf:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

crowtribe posted:

I spent big and bought more ships to make both a basic Imp and Reb list so I can play with a friend who mostly plays X-Wing.

Current stuff I own:
1x Home One
1x Imperial Gladiator

I'm so new to the game I don't even know how to make a decent lost from this. I've got all associated cards etc that comes with the above. Any ideas on making both a Rebel and Imperial list of near-same points that could be interesting, and explaining why?

I would recommend not trying to stretch to 400 point lists. The Empire might be able to get there by loading every upgrade it can, but I doubt it. Maybe set 300 points for the list. Also if you don't have the Imperial squadron expansion you might try to avoid going ham on Rebel starfighters.

I'm hesitant to post actual lists, in part because I haven't really played Empire much myself and I don't want to give bad advice.

istewart posted:

I'm kind of sad, I went to the local game shop that's been open in my town for a few months now, and they only have Legion and X-Wing... no Armada stuff. :(

Core Set
Home One MC80
Assault Frigate MkII

Seems like I should be able to build a basic list with what I got though, I've just been a bit lazy, and my only buddy who was getting into the game unfortunately lost his Imperial ships in a house fire. :(:(

I don't want to derail the thread, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say I really really wish that they could apply the Star Trek license to this ruleset, or a close derivative. You could possibly drop the fighter element entirely, and you wouldn't need the 2-flotilla rule revision, since most factions would be running a lot of small ships anyway. Starfleet would be running Defiants/Mirandas, Klingons would have loads of Birds of Prey and K'Tingas, Dominion would have a lot of Jem'Hadar bugships, etc.

I know there's Star Trek: Attack Wing out there, but almost all the ships are the same scale :wtf:

You've definitely got the makings for a decent Rebel list. I think my lists run a little weird because I still haven't picked up an rear end Frig, which I guess is the core of a lot of Rebel lists, but I just hate the way they look.

I definitely hear you on the local game shop not stocking Armada; they don't even have the excuse of being new!

And I also hear you on a Trek variant. Hell, the scaling's really not that different; a Nebulon is about 300 meters long, same as Kirk's Enterprise; the rear end Frig is supposedly about 700 meters long, around what Picard's Enterprises were; and the D'Deridex warbird and Dominion battleship are supposed to be around 1200-1300 meters long, which I think is about what an MC80 runs and would give Trek a couple of large base ships.

I'd also love to see Babylon 5 on the board too.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

IIRC the Trek X-wing ripoff was incredibly bad in a variety of ways

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

StashAugustine posted:

IIRC the Trek X-wing ripoff was incredibly bad in a variety of ways

The models really suck and the game is incredibly unbalanced.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Armada is so satisfying when you get the main guns of an ISD onto a Corvette and melt it.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

crowtribe posted:

Current stuff I own:
1x Home One
1x Imperial Gladiator

Where the hecking heck did you find a Gladiator in stock and do they have more?

Anyway, learn to love Armada Warlords. Online fleet builder. Donate and you can create an account to save your stuff. You can print a list of the fleet with the descriptions, so you can proxy cards and stuff.

Since you seem to like Rebels, Home One is a good start. Ackbar as a fleet commander and Slaved Turrets gives Home One three free extra red dice. That means you throw a minimum of eight - EIGHT - red dice out your broadside. I don't even think the SSD can do that out its front arc. Yes, you can only attack once, but I think the math would work out in your favor. The first Armada game I ever played, they put me right into a normal 400 point game and gave me an Ackbar Home One list.

While it's possible to make a list out of what you have, I think this would serve you well if you can find an assault potato (okay, Assault Frigate). That way this becomes possible:

Better Red Dice than Dead Dice, 398 points

Fleet commander: Ackbar
Flagship: MC80 Assault Cruiser
Title: Home One
Officer: Intel Officer
Defensive Retrofit: Early Warning System
Defensive Retrofit: Advanced Projectors
Ion Cannon: Leading Shots
Turbolaser: Slaved Turrets

What you want to do here is pretty simple: slug it out. Intel Officer is a good officer slot - it makes the other guy lose, rather than exhaust, a defense token that you choose. Accuracy result or not, if they use that redirect, they can't redirect again. With those eight red dice per turn, having no redirect at all is EXTREMELY bad for the other guy. EWS lets you set the engaged firing arc as an obstructed one, so when they shoot back it's -1 die. Leading Shots is great for when things move into mid-range, should you decide to do so. Advanced Projectors is your extra damage control tool - keep only one side engaged, so you can redirect to the unengaged side and stay in the fight.

CR90A Corvette
Title: Jaina's Light
Turbolasers: Slaved Turrets

Deploy at speed 3. Run for the nearest asteroid. Ignore it, you cannot take obstacle damage as Jaina's Light. That obstacle puts the other guy at -1 die to attack you. Slaved Turrets and Ackbar turn your piffling 1 red side arc die into 4 red dice. If it gets within range 5 of Home One it gets a free accuracy, but don't plan around that - take it as a fringe benefit if it happens. This Corvette will run all over the board. Keep it at range. It should never get to ion range or closer.

Assault Frigate Mk II B
Officer: Intel Officer
Turbolasers: Slaved Turrets

Keep this guy within range 5 of the MC80, it'll act as a flak support vessel and long range fire support. Three red dice? How about six red dice, because gently caress you, it's an Ackbar list. If squads are in range, that's fine, you'd do five red dice from one arc and then a blue flak die. Not great but not awful, doubly so if the MC80 throws two blue flak dice at the cost of not getting the Slaved Turrets die.

GR-75 Medium Transports
Fleet Support: Comms Net

This is the token feeder for the MC80. Keep it in the shadow of the big guy.

1x A-wing Squadron
Lieutenant Blount
1x Z-95
Luke Skywalker

These guys split into two elements and tie down enemy squads. They'll probably burn down fast but it'll bleed off if not prevent an alpha strike if the other guy is running one. Does he have no bombers? Have 'em form up with Luke and go gently caress up the other guy a little.

398 points total doesn't give you a high bid, but if you go second, that's okay - just activate all your other ships before the MC80 and let it have its pick of poor bastards in range.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

crowtribe posted:

Current stuff I own:
1x Home One
1x Imperial Gladiator

Gonna echo the "play at 300 points" and maybe don't go hog wild on Rebel squadrons quite yet because the Imperial player is gonna be really sad that all he has is Howlrunner and a bunch of TIEs. For commanders, Ackbar is really good on his MC80, and not bad on the CR90, so definitely start with him Rebel side. Screed from the Gladiator pack is the best Imperial commander you have. Tarkin is forgiving for new players by giving you extra command tokens but is very expensive.

For the Imperials, you really, really want to pick up the Imperial Fighter Pack II - that'll give you Maarek Steele, Col. Jendon, and Morna Kee, who are the three biggest, nastiest Imperial squadrons out there. Then get some sort of ISD expansion, either the main ISD or the Chimera. The ISD is what makes the Imperials the Imperials.

For Rebels you're looking pretty good. My suggestion would be to pick up the MC30 expansion for a close range brawler that works with Ackbar, or it gives you General Rieekan who is another one of the Rebels best commanders.

istewart posted:

Core Set
Home One MC80
Assault Frigate MkII

I'd build the Home One and with Enhanced Armaments as your turbolaser instead of Slaved Turrets. Slaved Turrets limits you to only taking 1 of your 2 shots for a bonus die, and losing that second shot, never even having a chance to choose whether or not you want the second shot, is horrible. Even with Ackbar, you want to be able to make multiple shots when you can. Because of Brace being a really, really good defensive token, it's always better to set up for a double arc and take 2 shots with one braced than to take one BIG shot and watch it drop from 8 damage to 4 because your opponent was running Electronic Countermeasures or you didn't hit an accuracy on your giant pool of Reds.

With or without Ackbar, the Assault Frigate should NEVER have Slaved turrets. It wants to double arc normally, or with Ackbar it wants to have Gunnery Teams and shoot two targets from its side arc.

Ninja Edit: Same as the guy above you, you're gonna want to pick up an MC30c pack next, and yeah squadrons ASAP.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Val Helmethead posted:

With or without Ackbar, the Assault Frigate should NEVER have Slaved turrets. It wants to double arc normally, or with Ackbar it wants to have Gunnery Teams and shoot two targets from its side arc.

Ninja Edit: Same as the guy above you, you're gonna want to pick up an MC30c pack next, and yeah squadrons ASAP.

I posit that Slaved Turrets + Ackbar is a decent option for an Assault Frigate, in that it fulfills a niche that the Arquitens does for the Imperial side. Six dice in a broadside is nuts. If someone running Ackbar + IIB is going to try to double arc, wouldn't it be better to roll six dice in one attack rather than three in one, then two in another? Double so if Home One is active, granting a guaranteed accuracy and Intel Officer threatening another defense token.

MC30s look fun; I have two but yet to use them. CR90 and Nebulon-B expansions go on sale often on Amazon for like $9 or $10 each, and it never hurts to have 'em. Rebel multiple-small-unit lists are crazy fun. Yavaris + Bomber Command Center + Hera Syndulla = dead ISDs

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

silvergoose posted:

Armada is so satisfying when you get the main guns of an ISD onto a Corvette and melt it.

Also a hell of a lot of fun finishing off a Vicstar by having your Neb-B firing into its rear end and then ramming it. Or by finishing off an Impstar by having the Neb-B ram it and then finish it off with guns the next round. I'm generally okay with losing a game as long as I get to sink at least one angry space triangle!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Ramming speed!

...brace for impact!

https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2005-12-20

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Also a hell of a lot of fun finishing off a Vicstar by having your Neb-B firing into its rear end and then ramming it. Or by finishing off an Impstar by having the Neb-B ram it and then finish it off with guns the next round. I'm generally okay with losing a game as long as I get to sink at least one angry space triangle!

Hey now
you're a Vic Star
got a Neb on your rear end
Hew now
you're a Vic Star
getting blown into glass
And all your troopers can't aim
not sure if you're gonna
win this game

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

MJP posted:

I posit that Slaved Turrets + Ackbar is a decent option for an Assault Frigate, in that it fulfills a niche that the Arquitens does for the Imperial side. Six dice in a broadside is nuts. If someone running Ackbar + IIB is going to try to double arc, wouldn't it be better to roll six dice in one attack rather than three in one, then two in another? Double so if Home One is active, granting a guaranteed accuracy and Intel Officer threatening another defense token.

Assuming a brace, you'll average about 2.5 damage from your big 6 dice attack (.75 damage / die, 6 and 5 goes to 3, 4 and 3 goes to 2.)

With 2 attacks at 3 dice and 2 dice, and your opponent braces the first attack you get just under 3 damage. (first shot 3 goes to 2, 2 goes to 1 and the second shot is 1.5 average)

However with Gunnery Team on your AFII, you can double shoot from your Ackbar side arc, which means 2 5-dice attacks on 2 different targets. With Slaved Turrets you can't take Gunnery Team, or Paragon, or really flak squadrons if you need to. You've reduced the number of things that your ship can do.

Slaved Turrets does have a home, and that is on the Scout Hammerhead who only has 1 arc worth shooting from, and one side arcs that can definitely use the boost if that's the only shot they have.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ramming speed is faster than you're supposed to go but it's OK because you're about to brake real soon.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Val Helmethead posted:

Assuming a brace, you'll average about 2.5 damage from your big 6 dice attack (.75 damage / die, 6 and 5 goes to 3, 4 and 3 goes to 2.)

With 2 attacks at 3 dice and 2 dice, and your opponent braces the first attack you get just under 3 damage. (first shot 3 goes to 2, 2 goes to 1 and the second shot is 1.5 average)

However with Gunnery Team on your AFII, you can double shoot from your Ackbar side arc, which means 2 5-dice attacks on 2 different targets. With Slaved Turrets you can't take Gunnery Team, or Paragon, or really flak squadrons if you need to. You've reduced the number of things that your ship can do.

Slaved Turrets does have a home, and that is on the Scout Hammerhead who only has 1 arc worth shooting from, and one side arcs that can definitely use the boost if that's the only shot they have.

You're not wrong, but you're also assuming that there'll always be two ships in the arc to shoot at. I've played against people who have had MSUs with one or two ships close enough to make that work, it hasn't been too often. I might give it a shot, though - it'd be awesome if you're the 2nd player in Advanced Gunnery.

Is anyone maybe interested in a Tabletop Simulator Armada session at some point this week? I'd like to test out Assistant to the Regional Onager if I could. It just got added, albeit as just an Onager-shaped series of polygons, which kinda makes it even better.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Val Helmethead posted:

I'd build the Home One and with Enhanced Armaments as your turbolaser instead of Slaved Turrets. Slaved Turrets limits you to only taking 1 of your 2 shots for a bonus die, and losing that second shot, never even having a chance to choose whether or not you want the second shot, is horrible. Even with Ackbar, you want to be able to make multiple shots when you can. Because of Brace being a really, really good defensive token, it's always better to set up for a double arc and take 2 shots with one braced than to take one BIG shot and watch it drop from 8 damage to 4 because your opponent was running Electronic Countermeasures or you didn't hit an accuracy on your giant pool of Reds.

So I'm guessing I'd want to run this list like a hammer-and-tongs setup? Force the opponent to choose between the Home One's massive broadside arc, or getting double-arced by the AFII and the MC30? I've seen the MC30 strongly suggested elsewhere, especially for hit-and-run tactics.

Nice to know that I'm only a couple more purchases away from a solid list. Most of what I have, I got deeply discounted... Barnes and Noble was totally dumping Armada in winter 2017, and Amazon usually has ships for a steep discount as well. I unfortunately missed out on snagging an ISD when B&N was running their discounts, so it will be some time before I can branch out into Imperials. I'd love to support the local shops if I could, but Legion especially seems to have dominated mindshare for Star Wars minis around here.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Might wanna grab what you can if it's in stock anywhere. Coronavirus precaution is keeping a bunch of board game manufacturers that also service FFG and other companies closed. I'm still a big advocate of buying collections of people leaving the game.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I want to play this but I'm poor boi....I wish they had a version of Fly Casual for Armada

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cage Kicker posted:

I want to play this but I'm poor boi....I wish they had a version of Fly Casual for Armada

There's an Armada mod for Tabletop Simulator if that's an option.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Cage Kicker posted:

You can play the game with no commander upgrades and 200 point lists on a 3'x3' if you want.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

MJP posted:

There's an Armada mod for Tabletop Simulator if that's an option.

Yeah, it's an option. I'm just spoiled from everything being automated for me :v:

Is the starter set necessary for this, or can you just go right to buying ships you like?

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Cage Kicker posted:

Yeah, it's an option. I'm just spoiled from everything being automated for me :v:

Is the starter set necessary for this, or can you just go right to buying ships you like?

Sadly the starter set is 100% necessary unless you want to buy:
- obstacles
- dice
- maneuver templates
- range rulers
- damage deck

And also starter exclusive upgrade and squadron cards.

If you can find someone selling a collection then you should.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cage Kicker posted:

Unfortunately it's not like X-wing where a bunch of starter set content is cheap and readily available. FWIW, most casual communities are 100% okay with proxying cards. Armada Warlords will print out card details. There's also always markets for secondaries - I should probably sell off the duplicate uniques I got from buying a second Gladiator. If you get duplicate ships

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Val Helmethead posted:

It is massive compared to everything else, except the SSD. I'll work on getting some pics for you on Thursday.

Hey Val did you ever get pics of that Starhawk?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also MJP what is your av from?

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Hey Val did you ever get pics of that Starhawk?

Not shown, a flanking Paragon AFIIA and Pelta on the right that did nothing to the Starhawk all game.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
A little while back I found that while certain other starships were/are ludicrously priced (over 40 bucks for an rear end frig? sixty for an MC30? eighty dollars for the fuckin' hammerhead set?? god drat it) the Liberty MC80 was hilariously cheap at like $18, so I decided what the hell and bought a second one.

I hardly think I'll run it very often, but flinging two LMC80s at once was fun... hell, if my buddy can roll two Impstars, I can take a couple of Liberties, right?

End of turn 6, with me securing one of the Fire Lanes objectives while my CR90 holds another out of frame

My buddy's Gladiator got popped by two front-arc attacks from one of the Liberties; I unfortunately gambled wrong on ganging both of my LMC80s up on it and they were too far out of position to effectively contest the other objectives for most of the game or try to gang up on one of the other star destroyers. That said, it was still a close game, only ~20 points in his favor; if I'd managed to pop a couple of his squadrons I might still have been able to eke out a win.

The second Liberty will still be handy as we're looking to start a Corellian Conflict campaign, plus we're the kind of nerds who will definitely do a Sector Fleet battle at some point just to get more of our toys out on the board; we used to play Epic Armageddon a bunch and would occasionally spend a day on the weekend slugging out an 8000+ point battle.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 4, 2020

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

https://steelstrategy.podbean.com/e/episode-10-commander-rankings-ketsu-onyo-wallex-blissex-and-double-pelta-jank/

Want to hear me and two other guys argue about which commanders are better? Want to hear me sing a dumb song? Want to know who the heck Walex is?

Well there is a podcast with all those things and more!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
So first apparently there was a leak recently about FFG's planned products later this year:

And I'm jazzed to see the Clone Wars ships making an entrance. Curious as to what the "Dial Pack" is supposed to be though.

Second, my friends and I tossed around ideas a while back for a hypothetical Scum faction, similar to what X-Wing's got; I remember a couple of ideas being that those old chunkity-rear end Dreadnoughts would probably be a good candidate, as well as the Star Galleon Frigate. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really would love to play Armada but its priced worse than Warhammer, which i'm already up to my neck in, and I don't really have anyone to play with. I tried to get my friends into X-wing but they were meh about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I really would love to play Armada but its priced worse than Warhammer, which i'm already up to my neck in, and I don't really have anyone to play with. I tried to get my friends into X-wing but they were meh about it.

Come play on Vassal. With the "recent troubles" there's plenty of people turning to online.