Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

You’ve got to be the only person I’ve ever seen disappointed by 15 overnight and then another 20! :dance:

Racers...

I actually very much enjoyed the two runs of powder skiing I got through the day.

The six runs of slipping I enjoyed a lot less. But it was more the fact that I was really, really hoping for a half-day, which we were scheduled to have if the training run ran on time, because I'm completely wiped and exhausted and still have five race starts and a training run to do before I get a day off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The pineapple express came through last night too and it's now pouring down rain. I'm at the same elevation as the finish for both the downhill and tonight's night slalom, so today should be interesting.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
It’s raining all pretty much to Goat’s Eye at sunshine, crazy windy and really heavy wet snow.

This isn’t what I had in mind but it’s better than being stuck home with the flu!

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

It's raining so hard at Meadows right now. Let's go have a slopestyle comp.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

highme posted:

It's raining so hard at Meadows right now. Let's go have a slopestyle comp.

Looking at the webcams, it looks awful. They say it might change to snow a little later today, but that won't be great if you are already soaked. This year has been a string of bad weather conditions with just a few nice days here and there. I have been up 10 days this season and have never seen Vista or Cascade open, and only about half the days I made it up would I say conditions were ok or better.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Does Aspen have a local radio station? I figured it might because it’s a little more remote than the I-70 resorts. We don’t get any outside stations, but have KOTO, which is like community theater but radio and Mountain Chill (KRKQ), a downtempo electronic station that seems to have an international following.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If it isn't exactly like this just lie to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xSSjhjGva8

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

kiimo posted:

If it isn't exactly like this just lie to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xSSjhjGva8

Mountain Chill is basically that. Get the avy report and some chill vibes on your way to the mountain.

E: mountainchill.com

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 1, 2020

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Truckee has a local radio station and I love it. Best radio station anywhere that I've lived by a good bit.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Holy poo poo I love Park City and it wasn’t even a pow day. I did babies first jib today and didn’t kill myself so that was cool.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

resident posted:

Holy poo poo I love Park City and it wasn’t even a pow day. I did babies first jib today and didn’t kill myself so that was cool.

Park City is tied with Deer Valley for my all time favorite skiing experience. I love it there, but I only skied the weekdays. Does it get mega crowded on the weekends?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Lake Louise was loving bonkers busy today.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Took the kids to race in a parallel slalom race which was super fun. Side by side racing makes it a lot of fun even though you're competing against the whole field.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Lake Louise was loving bonkers busy today.

How was the snow? Sunshine was nuts because half the lifts were closed so everyone was in Strawberry and Wawa

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Does Aspen have a local radio station? I figured it might because it’s a little more remote than the I-70 resorts. We don’t get any outside stations, but have KOTO, which is like community theater but radio and Mountain Chill (KRKQ), a downtempo electronic station that seems to have an international following.

Yes, we have several local stations

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Park City is tied with Deer Valley for my all time favorite skiing experience. I love it there, but I only skied the weekdays. Does it get mega crowded on the weekends?

It gets bad, but I'd say Tahoe is worse

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

How was the snow? Sunshine was nuts because half the lifts were closed so everyone was in Strawberry and Wawa

Wasn't bad. It was so busy though that I wish i'd gone to Castle today instead.

e: Just checked the storm cam, might head to Castle tomorrow.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

resident posted:

We’re headed there later this year so will happily take recommendations for places to eat/poo poo to do outside skiing.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Kalman posted:

We’re headed there later this year so will happily take recommendations for places to eat/poo poo to do outside skiing.

It can depend a little bit on where you are staying, as that will determine convenience level. There is a bus that is free and that is really helpful. If you are staying at Canyon's Village area, that is kind of a little bit isolated and if you want to go anywhere outside of the resort area you will need to take the bus. The bus drops off at the Kimbal Junction area, and there is some shopping and restaurants there, but it has more of a outdoor mall kind of vibe. It tends to feel a little less crowded than downtown, if you don't like hustle or bustle.

If you are staying at/near the base of PCMR there are a few places right there at the resort that can be ok, or you can take a short to medium walk and be downtown, which has plenty of options.

If you are staying near Deer Valley, DV has some restaurants and whatnot of its own, but you might want to take the shuttle towards town.

Park City Mountain Resort also has a chairlift, called "Town Lift" that goes right to the heart of town, which is super convenient. So you can ski into downtown for lunch if you want, then take the chair back up. Due to this convenience the lift line here can be long sometimes.

As for places to go, here are some fun ones:
-Egyption Theater in downtown PC, which can be a lot of fun : https://www.egyptiantheatrecompany.org/
-Sock City. I got tipsy and wandered in here and was amazed by the quantity and quality of socks. https://historicparkcityutah.com/sock-city
-Davanzas - This place is like a classic lunch place with subs and sandwiches and pizzas. Seems popular with locals. Right near the town chair. https://www.davanzas.com/Home
-Sushi Blue - A nice midrange sushi place in Kimbal Junction. Coldstone is close by for desert as well. https://www.sushiblueparkcity.com/
-There is a cool weird track and cart thing at the St. Regis that you will see if you are skiing DV. It is called a "Funicular" and you can ride it if you want! At the top there is a very expensive restaurant. Maybe only worth it if you are staying near DV stuff.
-DV resort has a lot of places to eat that are on piste that are really nice. But would be a slight pain to get to unless you were skiing DV.
-There are also numerous museums and whatnot throughout downtown. PCMR has a bunch of what appears to be old mining equipment! At least on the PC side, not so sure about Canyons as I never made it over there.
-Olympic Park - Here you can see a bunch of stuff related to the Olympics, do some inner tube action at Soldier Hollow, or go to the ice dome and curl or free skate. https://utaholympiclegacy.org/

Thats just the stuff I can think of off the top of my head. I really liked Park City the two times I have been, and have a trip booked for Spring Break this year with my son, and December later this year with the girlfriend. It's also really easy to get around without a car, so every time I have come I just uber from the airport to PC. I imagine if you bring your own equipment you would need an uber XL or whatever and that might cost a bit more. I have had good luck with the rental shops up there though, but I did do a little shopping around.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Yeah, we’re staying at the base of PCMR and skiing PC - might do one day at DV just because I did like it the day trip I did there when I was in SLC for work. Bringing boots and helmets and outerwear but renting skis/poles so we were planning to just Uber and take the bus around. Thanks for the recs! (Will happily take more from others.)

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Thank you for all of that. I have a buddy in SLC I’ve been meaning to visit and that’ll definitely come in handy.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Kalman posted:

Yeah, we’re staying at the base of PCMR and skiing PC - might do one day at DV just because I did like it the day trip I did there when I was in SLC for work. Bringing boots and helmets and outerwear but renting skis/poles so we were planning to just Uber and take the bus around. Thanks for the recs! (Will happily take more from others.)

I stayed at the Marriott Mountainside last time I went and they had a courtesy coupon for the rental place 50 feet from the hotel. It was like 50% off or something huge, had 3 days of rentals for like 80 bucks, boots, skis, and poles, mid range package. You might want to check with the hotel/AirBNB if they have a rental arrangement. A lot of the rental places also give at least a 20% discount if you book online like 3 days or more prior. If you are planning to buy drinks for the room, Kimbal Junction has the wal mart and liquor store, will be significantly less than anywhere near the resort.

I found the EpicMix app to work really well at PCMR and had a lot of fun with it and the achievements, or "pins", as they call them. Seemed to do a great job tracking my vertical. It also does a good job letting you know how long the lift lines are. At PC ski patrol doesn't police the mountain (well, they can if they want) but they have guys in yellow jackets that are "Mountain Safety", who definitely do, in case you are a person who likes to go very fast.

I am a low intermediate, and my favorite run when I went was off of McConkey's Lift, called Georgeanna. It is not too difficult but has amazing views. I went early season and never went to center of the resort or Canyons, so there might be better stuff.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Was offered a job today as an official timer at Meadows. As long as I don't have to deal with ski racing I'll probably take it.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I stayed at the Marriott Mountainside last time I went and they had a courtesy coupon for the rental place 50 feet from the hotel. It was like 50% off or something huge, had 3 days of rentals for like 80 bucks, boots, skis, and poles, mid range package. You might want to check with the hotel/AirBNB if they have a rental arrangement. A lot of the rental places also give at least a 20% discount if you book online like 3 days or more prior. If you are planning to buy drinks for the room, Kimbal Junction has the wal mart and liquor store, will be significantly less than anywhere near the resort.

I found the EpicMix app to work really well at PCMR and had a lot of fun with it and the achievements, or "pins", as they call them. Seemed to do a great job tracking my vertical. It also does a good job letting you know how long the lift lines are. At PC ski patrol doesn't police the mountain (well, they can if they want) but they have guys in yellow jackets that are "Mountain Safety", who definitely do, in case you are a person who likes to go very fast.

I am a low intermediate, and my favorite run when I went was off of McConkey's Lift, called Georgeanna. It is not too difficult but has amazing views. I went early season and never went to center of the resort or Canyons, so there might be better stuff.

I’m also staying at Marriott Mountainside. One of the people staying with me did the rental discount but it was only 25% so maybe it varies by the time of the season. I’d highly recommend the High West Saloon for whisky, cocktails, and food. We also hit up No Name Saloon and upstairs at The Cabin. Both were fine party bars for 20/30 somethings, nothing that outstanding. We’re hoping to get downtown again for the Super Bowl this afternoon so hopefully there’s more time for exploring. The downtown area is cute as gently caress and I wish a had a spare $2 million laying around to pick up a rental house.

I can’t wait for powder tomorrow. I’ve heard there’s some great hikeable side country off the gondola.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Sunshine looks set to get a decent dumping of snow finally, we didn't see much in January of note. Any Calgary/Canmore/Banff goons headed out tomorrow?

Edit: I've been sick with the flu all week and watching this weather forecast get better and better and if this storm doesn't materialize I'm gonna lose it

Looking at the predicted storm levels I decided to stay at home and avoid the Banff roads. How big of a mistake did I make?

e.

It’s raining all pretty much to Goat’s Eye at sunshine, crazy windy and really heavy wet snow.

This isn’t what I had in mind but it’s better than being stuck home with the flu!
ok good

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 2, 2020

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

Looking at the predicted storm levels I decided to stay at home and avoid the Banff roads. How big of a mistake did I make?

e.

ok good

Yesterday was bonkers, it was packed and only half the lifts were open. We left at lunch.

Today was pretty much as perfect as you could ask for though, there was a decent dump of fresh stuff and all of the stuff that was closed yesterday had remained untouched. We had a few top to bottom fresh tracks on Goat's and it was amazing

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Yesterday was bonkers, it was packed and only half the lifts were open. We left at lunch.

Today was pretty much as perfect as you could ask for though, there was a decent dump of fresh stuff and all of the stuff that was closed yesterday had remained untouched. We had a few top to bottom fresh tracks on Goat's and it was amazing

Nice! Some of the best skiing I have had was on Goat's Eye after a squall dumped 25cm powder on it in about an hour.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

resident posted:

I’m also staying at Marriott Mountainside. One of the people staying with me did the rental discount but it was only 25% so maybe it varies by the time of the season. I’d highly recommend the High West Saloon for whisky, cocktails, and food. We also hit up No Name Saloon and upstairs at The Cabin. Both were fine party bars for 20/30 somethings, nothing that outstanding. We’re hoping to get downtown again for the Super Bowl this afternoon so hopefully there’s more time for exploring. The downtown area is cute as gently caress and I wish a had a spare $2 million laying around to pick up a rental house.

I can’t wait for powder tomorrow. I’ve heard there’s some great hikeable side country off the gondola.

When I stayed in early December they gave me a "very special offer" to come back for 3 nights for only like 400 bucks. But I have listen to a time share sales pitch. I decided the deal was too good to pass up on the 3 nights for Spring Break, but I am worried about how awful an experience the time share sales pitch may be. :ohdear:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Not a bad day since it is 75 in Denver and 40 in the mountains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLfBPAiRcFY

Sorry for the kind of crappy quality.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

spwrozek posted:

Not a bad day since it is 75 in Denver and 40 in the mountains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLfBPAiRcFY

Sorry for the kind of crappy quality.

Oh this looks fun. Ive always been curious what’s back up in there.

:perfect:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dangerllama posted:

Oh this looks fun. Ive always been curious what’s back up in there.

Yeah coon how is a pretty good spot. You can get 600-700' runs in safe terrain with some bigger terrain above. Some people were riding some bigger lines but we just keep it mellow and dog friendly.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Hookshot or anyone else, do you have opinions on Karbon vs Phenix jackets and pants? We're trying out both for team gear until Descente gets their poo poo together in North America again.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I don’t have experience with jackets from either but I really like my Phoenix shorts, they’re amazing and I would definitely buy from them again. My Karbon suit on the other hand is total trash and I will never buy from that company again

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Spent last week skiing in the swiss alps in absolutely amazing conditions (bar one day which was a whiteout). First time ive ever used gps to record my skiing and, while I'm sure its not totally accurate, I was pretty amazed at the speeds I was skiing at, I was hitting 95 km/h on some runs which seems insane. For the fast downhill racers ITT, if an out of shape ski once every 2 years skier like me is hitting that, how fast are you guys going?! I saw that the record in competition is something like 158km/h but I assume it depends a bit on the run, whats like the average speed of a downhill racer?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Carrier posted:

Spent last week skiing in the swiss alps in absolutely amazing conditions (bar one day which was a whiteout). First time ive ever used gps to record my skiing and, while I'm sure its not totally accurate, I was pretty amazed at the speeds I was skiing at, I was hitting 95 km/h on some runs which seems insane. For the fast downhill racers ITT, if an out of shape ski once every 2 years skier like me is hitting that, how fast are you guys going?! I saw that the record in competition is something like 158km/h but I assume it depends a bit on the run, whats like the average speed of a downhill racer?

It's easy for the GPS to glitch a bit as it might try to interpolate incorrectly in steep terrain. But you probably did pretty close to 95, I'm assuming bombing down a super smooth groomer. I've GPSed myself to 80.1 twice, which made me wonder if the app didn't show more. My short radius skis felt super sketchy anyway, I'd like to try something more stable.

HookShot will know more about average speeds but going by watching TV, most downhill courses will have some high speed sections of 130-140 kph but through all the terrain the average is probably under 100, maybe 90.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Watch yourself keystone-goers, mumps!

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/mumps-cases-confirmed-in-summit-county/

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Carrier posted:

You're almost certainly not hitting that and your phone's GPS is being inaccurate. Mine will tell me I'm doing 100kph when I'm probably closer to 60. Wearing clothes and in a full tuck on a public run I can hit 100kph but it takes a dedicated effort on specific runs, and it's WAY harder if I'm wearing an actual jacket and not just a puffy or a vest because of the lack of aerodynamics. Plus honestly, at your level of skiing, if you are hitting 100kph you're skiing super unsafely, because honestly it takes an extra level of both skill and awareness to be able to go that fast and not be a huge liability to yourself and the people around you.

Most downhill courses average around 100-130kph through the majority. Downhill skis are also way longer (mine are 210cm, guys run 218) and WAY stiffer and heavier than the average pair of skis to make them more stable at speed. My pair of downhill skis with bindings probably weighs around 20 pounds.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 5, 2020

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I used Snoww on my apple watch/phone and was clocking 50-60km/h on a few runs, then managed an 81km/h on a groomer.

I suspect its not entirely accurate but I was definitely going a fair bit faster than the other runs hitting 60.

you can get more accuracy pairing with a watch. my watch has an altimeter in it also, so it knows elevation in addition to GPS position.

Im not confident its super accurate, but having said that I have used the same phone to time laps on a race track in my car and its within .1 of a second of the official transponder timing system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

GPS on your phone can be very accurate. Particularly in a car because it correctly assumes you are in contact with the surface on a well mapped road,so it can snap to the most likely position. When testing my phone against speed warning signs on the road and it's accurate to the whole digit every time.

But on skis, you might be many meters above the mapped surface and there is no road to snap your position to. The elevation data can be sparse, so the exact position gets interpolated and may make all sorts of incorrect assumptions. When I run on my local athletics track, which is of course flat as a pancake, I get 10-15 m of vertical distance on every lap because it sits on a hillside and the mapping software thinks the track follows the coarse gradient of the hill. This throws off the speed and distance figures as well, but only by a few percent.

Bad coverage can also lead to weird things. On one my latest runs my position glitched and my recorded top speed was 300 kph...

But if your phone says you did 95 and it's not a single spike of 95 but consistent numbers over a few seconds, then you very likely did not go slower than 90. It definitely isn't very safe though, unless the surroundings are extraordinarily smooth with wide visibility.