Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Squalid posted:

Interestingly i was looking at one Ming dynasty sword manual recently and it didn't look anything like modern chinese opera moves, but seemed very similar to early Modern European dueling treatises.

I would like to know more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

oh dope posted:

This is why when you're taking your motorcycle driving test, they have you go around a bunch of koans

:argh:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

I did Taekwondo through highschool and college, and it was in the early days of UFC. Until I got older, sparring was mostly point style, with light-ish contact and pads, no elbows, knees, lots of kicks and punches and sweeps. Later on I went to a dojo where we would spar after hours and kick the poo poo out of each other, and it was pretty fun but I would be all bruised up and eventually quit due to injuries and life. MMA came onto the scene in a real way and it proved that boxing, wrestling and jujitsu, are the most important things in real fights. Your average person looking to work out and learn a little self defense could benefit from TCM but won't become a pro fighter, those people are on some other plane of existence where pain is an option, and training with these people can get you seriously hurt (MMA gyms type of Medium contact sparring that is essentially a real loving fight and it's nuts)...so there's a place for TCM for sure, but it's not against trained cage fighters. Btw, this is what happens when you let fighters do post fight gloating (ufc does not allow this):

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 6, 2020

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Taking his Antony Starr cosplay a bit too far I'd say.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Whybird posted:

They say step-dad but you just know there are people watching this imagining he's beating the poo poo out of his actual biological father

:laugh:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oddly enough Jackie Chan movies are often praised for making fight scenes feel real since they involve use of improvised weapons, taking advantage of the environment, and in general having characters act in ways that feel realistic and sensible, with Jackie Chan's character generally a believable underdog rather than an unstoppable force plowing through endless thugs like a video game character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ

He's a master of his class because he has some certain film techniques, but he's also a huge perfectionist who will do over a hundred tries of one shot to get it right. This tends to be painful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raNbeyA7YHE

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/gl9M6Cy.mp4

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The one honest guy at the ER

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That one literally got an "Ooooh!" out of me.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Azhais posted:

The one honest guy at the ER

My exact thought! :lol:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Tha tain’t right.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

The 'ole 'One in a Million' dismount.

9/10

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

ahhh the classic "look around to make sure no one saw that then waddle around in extreme gooch pain" move

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Squalid posted:

i think the best way to think about and classify these "categories of fighting" is by putting it into its context and purpose. I put fighting schools into three basic categories: stage fighting, sport fighting, and hand to hand self-defense.

Stage fighting includes both dance and theatre, and examples would be Hong Kong Wushu as used in the films of Jackie Chan or in the WWE. It is characterized by exaggerated movements and cooperation between participants.

Sport fighting includes stuff like MMA but also sumo. These martial arts feature real competition between practitioners. However they differ significantly from the next category in that the moves and techniques are constrained by the need to keep everyone safe and put on a good show. For the most part it doesn't make sense to argue something like western wresting is better or worse than judo, because both forms are constrained by different rules. Fundamentally even sports like MMA are a game.

Finally self defense martial arts include krav maga and HEMA (historical European martial arts). Typically in addition to techniques used in boxing and wrestling, these schools will also train the use of weapons and disfiguring attacks like eye gouges that are obviously too dangerous to use in any sport. In theory these styles should be the most effective in self defense, since that is what they are meant for, but obviously its hard to test your deadly dick punch technique in the real world to find out. Interestingly i was looking at one Ming dynasty sword manual recently and it didn't look anything like modern chinese opera moves, but seemed very similar to early Modern European dueling treatises.

Yeah that all sounds right to me. And what you were just saying, a goon said that earlier that if you look at traditional Chinese military they used swordfighting more like other styles and not like the more flowery stuff that you see now.

But yeah, not very fun if UFC becomes "who's got the best dick punch"

Speaking of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Th_SwhJIhU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Humphreys posted:

There was a security guard at the club I worked that was really REALLY into Wing Chung and slap boxing. Bopped him on the nose through all the arm waving poo poo in seconds. I even made a 'boop' sound for extra laugh.

In other fighting news of sorts. Bare Knuckle Boxing is again legal in some states and I'm quite enjoying it. Below is a random fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lioGfnA70mM

EDIT: I wonder if 'Felony Fights' is still a thing

I was about to say "wow, bare-knuckle? Surprised they don't break their hands"

But then they have bindings on their hands... and MMA fighters in UFC don't exactly wear boxing gloves. Its not that different.

Although I guess the difference here is its MMA but with boxing rules, so you can't grapple, and even if you knock somebody down they still get a count to come to their feet? Welcome to Brain Damage, USA.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Zaphod42 posted:

But then they have bindings on their hands... and MMA fighters in UFC don't exactly wear boxing gloves. Its not that different.

Although I guess the difference here is its MMA but with boxing rules, so you can't grapple, and even if you knock somebody down they still get a count to come to their feet? Welcome to Brain Damage, USA.

Honestly? Without the gloves you are actually less likely to cause brain damage. The gloves increase the mass of your hands so hitting with gloves actually imparts more force. Also gloves let you hit harder. Boxing gloves have probably made boxing less bloody, but they have also made it more prone to causing serious brain injury.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Incredible strength and composure. Can this power be learned?

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Humphreys posted:

There was a security guard at the club I worked that was really REALLY into Wing Chung and slap boxing. Bopped him on the nose through all the arm waving poo poo in seconds. I even made a 'boop' sound for extra laugh.

In other fighting news of sorts. Bare Knuckle Boxing is again legal in some states and I'm quite enjoying it. Below is a random fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lioGfnA70mM

EDIT: I wonder if 'Felony Fights' is still a thing

Come to rowdy ringsports and check out the Streetbeefs thread. It's got everything you want:: an owner/promoter who has never been beaten! In that he gets beaten a lot, isn't very good, and then somehow his losses become wins or no contests. People who have no business being in a fight in any capacity! Sometimes, actually decent boxing! A man who is on a quest to somehow have his belief in Goku-level what the gently caress martial arts translate into reality! All this and more, here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3883865

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I remember some paper a few years back where they put forward the idea that the human hand evolved for better face punching and faces changed over time to take a punch better. With the changes slowly going away as humanity has weaponized and grown more peaceful on individual and societal levels.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

No wonder they were demoted to Rim Cleaner from Oil Checker.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah that all sounds right to me. And what you were just saying, a goon said that earlier that if you look at traditional Chinese military they used swordfighting more like other styles and not like the more flowery stuff that you see now.

But yeah, not very fun if UFC becomes "who's got the best dick punch"

Speaking of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Th_SwhJIhU

I love how the second guy just looks so awkward when he realizes what he did.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

I love how the second guy just looks so awkward when he realizes what he did.

POW! Right in the pisser!

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Samovar posted:

I would like to know more.
As would I, please elaborate.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The dude with the broke noggin, you really need to see the video just to hear the VERY loud *WHAP* and crowd just going "Oooooooooohhhh".

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The dude with the broke noggin, you really need to see the video just to hear the VERY loud *WHAP* and crowd just going "Oooooooooohhhh".

It sounds like a coconut being cracked open on concrete.

Its one of the most viscerally disturbing sounds I've ever heard in an MMA fight.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

You can't catch a fainted pokemon, idiot!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Who What Now posted:

You can't catch a fainted pokemon, idiot!

He looked like he was still using Splash.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Guyver posted:

I remember some paper a few years back where they put forward the idea that the human hand evolved for better face punching and faces changed over time to take a punch better. With the changes slowly going away as humanity has weaponized and grown more peaceful on individual and societal levels.

wouldnt this require dozens of thousands of years of humans being punchmanz to eachother or some sort of punching predator ( or a even a prey, maybe even a plant)

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
The human hand is awful for punching, which is why fist hardening is a thing in some martial arts. They're intentionally caused by microfractures, which get extra calcium deposits as they heal and eventually strengthen the fists.

Downside: enjoy your arthritis

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Hands are pretty high up on the list of “worst things to break in a fight”, though I’d say feet and legs are the worst, considering you can still run away with a broken hand or arm.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Regalingualius posted:

Hands are pretty high up on the list of “worst things to break in a fight”, though I’d say feet and legs are the worst, considering you can still run away with a broken hand or arm.

Try sprinting with a broken arm.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guyver posted:

what

the human hand evolved for gripping tree branches, like most primates

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Try sprinting with a broken arm.

Pretty sure you can still go faster than hopping.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Pretty sure you can still go faster than hopping.

You can, but if the objective is "run away from a fight"... that ain't happening against a person without anything broken.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

iirc it's better to punch bare fisted with your knuckles vertical, and that's the form 19th century boxers used

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

grumplestiltzkin posted:

The human hand is awful for punching, which is why fist hardening is a thing in some martial arts. They're intentionally caused by microfractures, which get extra calcium deposits as they heal and eventually strengthen the fists.

Downside: enjoy your arthritis

I've had this discussion with my martial arts buddies a lot.

For what its worth, back in the Renaissance/Middle Ages when people were fighting alot, there is almost no record/treatise surviving from that time period that details anything like boxing/striking. The few bits we've recovered show some open handed strikes/slaps, and I believe a single hammerfist attack, but is otherwise devoid of any closed fist striking.

We've surmised that back when killing people was a much more regular and common occurence that the understanding was the human hand is in almost all cases better suited holding an object (or prefferably a weapon) rather than just striking with a fist. There's plenty of joint locks and standing submissions so the analog of modern JJ/BJJ is present and confirmed efficacious. I just kind of took it to mean that there's way too much risk vs the reward for using your hands as weapons themselves, and even in mundane unarmed scenarios you were better suited picking up a rock or literally anything (and we've got lots of records of them showing a sundry collection of random items as weapons) to believe the modality of the time confirmed just how inadvisable closed fist striking is.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Chomp8645 posted:

You can, but if the objective is "run away from a fight"... that ain't happening against a person without anything broken.

Uh, you can absolutely run with something in your upper body broken. Will it hurt? Yes. But your body is physically capable of it. Try running with a broken leg.

This is a truly dumb argument.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Guyver posted:

Did this end with the conclusion "and that's why the blacks with their giant hands and punch-resistant noses are inherently warlike."?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Try running with a broken leg.

Fitting Username/Post combo