Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

The Titanic posted:

Sure is a shame their contract ran out with that guy. He had skills.

So is CIG trying to crawl back to the free streamers or are they consulting with red bull for another hero of media to suddenly become intimately interested in their game for 6 months?

At this point they probably realise footage of people actually trying to play the game is counter productive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

jarlywarly posted:

At this point they probably realise footage of people actually trying to play the game is counter productive.

Star Citizen gameplay post-production work has become a valid career path.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Scruffpuff posted:

Or, and bear with me here, I know I'm reaching, but they could be full of poo poo.

Oh im sure they're full of poo poo but it'd be weird to talk about voxels as objects while using Cryengine seeing as though they simply don't have it.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I know that I've posted way, way, way too many of these, but these are phenomenal examples of knowing how to design a game from start to finish by focusing on the things that actually matter: https://youtu.be/S4UwQedB-vI.

Near the end, he talks about why realism for the sake of realism is a poor goal in terms of game design and why it should be the first thing to go when it starts negatively affecting the gameplay experience and/or the gameplay loop.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Popete posted:

lol half the comments are deleted by CIG moderators. Apparently citizens aren't asking the right questions.

Also what is the point of these questions? I don't see any responses from devs anywhere.

"How cool was it to work with Mark Hamill?"

"How many words are in the script for Sq42?"

"Will the player have a voice during conversation?"

These are approved question types. Deviation will be met with deletion and possible banning.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

CitizenKain posted:

How is "making space combat fun" in a space combat game not number 1 on the list of things to do?

Where have you been for the past 8 years?!

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

ClownBobo posted:

Who other than an audience should a person be performing for? Virtue signal? Shitizen please!

Hey, how about this instead?

How about this Mary the Eye false pregnancy tumor proof o' Gawd's wrath which supposedly has been gestating for very many years since Franck last thought to take her out for a whirl;

how about it's been enough years such that Franck expected his little bundle of Joi to have all its vitals growing on the inside and a count of digits summing to a friendly number evenly divisible by four.

So, how about we stipulate that Franck held an entirely reasonable set of expectations? Reasonable such that when the fates instead held forth to him a one eyed monstrosity replete with perfect Hollywood glossies but only enough smarts to send "results" via umbilical back to its designated dead letter drop deep in the Santa Monica wastes; well, imagine Franck's surprise.

Now imagine him getting pissed. I would be. I'm willing to wager you would be too.

So, what right did Franck have to Super Humman down and tweet "gently caress... this... poo poo... !?!" All the rights, that's what rights. All the rights and maybe even a bit of moral duty. Heh-heh, I said doody.

Mark the turning of the tide and mark this day Shitizens. Feel the greasy inevitability of change upon the fetid air. The Age of Hucksters is over. The Time of the Clowns has come, and we are all out of bubblegum.

Now go away.
In the last 500 years, the Fourth Stimpire has dominated four systems, which it has united into one starzone, Stimsis. The Fourth Stimpire has origins from the Ten Empire War in which 10 of the United Stimpires revolted against each rules. All empires except for the fourth swore freedom upon their citizens. There is no free speech in the Fourth Stimpire, and all self-controlled transportation has been made illegal without undergoing painful medical verification methods, in which arteries are severed without pain resistant, operated entirely by machines. The way they work claim to be the most hygenic and healthy way possible, but these machines often rub against pain points, causing great deals of pain to patients. The heart is then extracted from the body and placed into a glass grinding machine. Various energy centers are also dissected and replaced with dangerous transplants. After the painful, 52 hour surgical procedure, patients will then have to use a fused guidance tool, which pumps painful resistors into the body every 2 hours. The pain they have caused is so bad, the victim would freeze in a tense position. They would then collapse afterwards.

Sexual stimulation in any way within the grounds of the Fourth Stimpire is strictly prohibited, and anyone detected even touching their sexual organs will be subjected to a penectomy or if the offender was a female, they would then have a razor inserted into their ovaries. They would pump a blue solution into the womb until the stitchings burst. Offenders would also be forced to show their operated areas in public, and they would always harass and punch them to a pulp, against their will.

Otherwise, offenders would be tazed with the worst type of electricity in the systematic district, causing so much pain, the victim would scream and flail in madness. The pain would also triple every second, but no death would be incurred. This is also used in combat against enemy units, which is why all UEE forces must wear the upgraded suit to block this effect.

However, enertainment is also questionable in UEE grounds. Sporting events end with the losing team being rounded into a grinder and shredded on live television, boxing matches end with the loser having their hands removed without anasthesia, flight races would end with the losers having their arms and legs removed, then being injected with insanity, for entertainment. People are also forced into these events, by undergoing a painful 127 hour procedure which involves tweaking the muscles so they will not listen to brain commands, and then having a painful drug injected which also causes madness if the player is not sporting. This is all for entertainment, and anyone not watching any of it during sporting times and cheering for the winning team, they will be imprisoned into galactic camps.

Snuff films are also broadcast, and actors are actually murdered just for entertainment. Stealth droids also guide these forced actors into behaving exactly as the director dreams, otherwise they will be punished by being placed into a macerator and having their execution written into the film. Any film that does not feature someone being murdered will be burned and the entire crew behind it will be executed in the most grotesque way possible - vivisection.

All executions are broadcast, and anyone who misses even a millisecond, even by blinking, will be executed. All citizens must boo to the person being executed, and the family is gathered to be injected with eternators, which cause pain forever, making them immoral but feeling the pain tenfold every millisecond. They cannot pass out, but they will feel like it forever.

Conquests by this Stimpire end in the planet being razed, and all the citizens being executed in the same way as their citizens are. The planet is then destroyed and all remnants of it are removed, and any memories of it will be erased instantly from civil minds. People who are also killed are also erased from memories, and all memories of them, including toys and pictures, are destroyed.

Prisoners undergo 40,000 years of relentless and endless labor, and anyone not complying is sentenced to the eternator injection. All prisoners injected with eternators are placed into capsules and launched into far space, then the room is closed tight to ensure maximum insanity. Some prisoners are also subjected to the removal of blood, the lungs, the liver, the genitals, the skeleton, the muscles, the eyes, and even the injection of pressure. Prisoners sentenced to pressure chambers are locked in until they are inflated to a high level. The decompression is then stopped to make sure they are inflated and uncomfortable.

Children born on the 14th of July are subjected to the removal of their skeleton and an implant of a silver liquid to replace it. The nervous sysem is also injected in various parts to ensure it is five times more sensitive than the average.

Restaurants also are ordered to serve civil meat, and anyone attending must give themself up to be cooked into a grotesque meal. They are cooked alive, undergoing extreme pain, and are then subjected to industrial grinders and blenders. The Stimpire orders at least 1 million citizens to be dispatched every day, as they are afraid the population may overthrow them. But only one planet is cared for, and the rest are banned from eating, drinking, talking, using technology, touching anyone, wearing unauthorized clothes, touching buildings, or walking a centimeter out of designated routes. Civil enforcers are on every planet, and they are engineered so that they are 40 times larger than the 300 quadrillion population. At least 7 billion die every 12 hours under this rule.

Thoughts are also surveyed, and anyone who does not think anything to loving the Stimpire with more than their capabilities will be sentenced to a prison. Prisoners who are punished for this violation will meet their greatest fear, only to have it amplified so they will turn insane as they imagine it exactly as they fear it. They then undergo a painful extraction of all fluids, to be replaced by a toxin which causes permanent irritation. The unknown substance keeps the subject aging normally, except they will never die. Prisoners punished in this way are unable to be reverted, despite many efforts, and they will never be able to be disposed.

The sickening truths have been revealed only today, and invigilation teams are still investigating the truths without setting foot in the galactic space of this sickening empire.

ClownBobo
Jan 3, 2020

vIHbe'chugh, vaj Huch law' Sovbe'lu'

Armadillo Tank posted:

In the last 500 years, the Fourth Stimpire has dominated four systems, which it has united into one starzone, Stimsis. ...
The sickening truths have been revealed only today, and invigilation teams are still investigating the truths without setting foot in the galactic space of this sickening empire.

NAH-noo NAH-noo.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

:reddit: :

They are both wrong and they are both right.

CIG:

Right - Its alpha software, it has bugs, it is beeing fixed.

Wrong - Blame part on windows.

James S.A. Corey:

Right - Dosent want his cam to turn on without permission

Wrong - React like a transgenger sjw school boy on hormones

The best drat space subreddit ever!

ClownBobo
Jan 3, 2020

Phew! That was close.

[image expiry surpassed]

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

trucutru posted:

All of that fits in a small SC crater. Can you board your horse, fly it to another solar system, and land it in a different planet, all seamlessly? Can your horse do that? No? You're just trying to spread FUD.

Well the physics in RDR2 are sometimes kind of weird so ... yes?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

jarlywarly posted:

"Space Whales" have been a running meme/joke in the development of quite a few space games I can think of references to them in forums/chat about No Man's Sky, Elite, Infinity Battlescape, Limit Theory (RIP.) as kind of an tongue in cheek way of talking about feature creep.

Oh sure, I get that. I just view it that this dumpster fire is in such a free fall it is hard to ascertain sarcasm and reality anymore.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Scruffpuff posted:

Or, and bear with me here, I know I'm reaching,

No way, i'm not falling for that again.

My rear end is still sore from the last time.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
so i assume that 2020 will, once again, top every previous year in crowdfunding.
nothing will be released but chris will be showered with pledges.
star citizen will, as always, be compared to each game which releases this year. and it will win.
because ci will promise, that what they are working on is on a whole different level.
pledges will pour in.
the playstation 5 will release at the end of 2020.
there will be no news regarding sq54.
but ci will assure their backers that, compared to sq54, everything on ps5 is kindergarten-style.
and so the cycle will repeat endlessly.

(should i post this? its poo poo...well who cares submit repl

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

:allears:

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

What's this? Another Star Citizen delay?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

With or without prejudice!?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
I love how a 2020 release used to a ridiculous proposition, because there's no way the game could take that long, but now a 2020 release is a ridiculous proposition, because there's no way the game could be finished that quickly

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://docdro.id/bSYH9xp

quote:

Plaintiff CRYTEK GMBH (“Plaintiff”) and Defendants CLOUD IMPERIUM GAMES CORP. and ROBERTS SPACE INDUSTRIES CORP. (“Defendants”) by and through their counsel of record, hereby agree and stipulateas follows:1.Plaintiff’s Motion for Voluntary Dismissal is presently set for hearing on February 7, 2020 (ECF No. 97)(the “Motion”). 2.During a status conference with the Court on January 10, 2020, the Court directed the parties to meet and confer to try to resolve the Motion without Court interventionand to promptly notify the Court if theywere successful. 3.As requested by the Court, the parties have been working to resolve the Motion, have made significant progress,and believe they are close to reaching a resolutionof the Motion.4.In light of the above, the parties jointly request that the hearing set for February 7, 2020 be continuedto February 21, 2020 or to such later date set by the Court.5.The parties will promptly notify the Court if and when they resolve the Motion prior to the rescheduled hearing.

boring

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

ClownBobo posted:

Phew! That was close.

Wait, is that one of the Heaven's Gate victims?

Did someone turn a photo of an actual corpse into a meme?

Zazz Razzamatazz fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Feb 7, 2020

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

settlement.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

A valid point! I wonder how the citizens respond. Surely they see the error of their ways now...

:blastu: Thats not right,one of the reasons why they are selling the ships right now is that at game release,they want to have already a fluctuating economy from the beginning,imagine SC release day and 2.5 (and thats the player base now,so not even near release) Million players rushing into the unknown Verse with an Aurora ^

At release they want to Simulate it as if it would be released for years,but nobody will have THAT much money from the start,but should be able to get it and thats what they need the data from

Ah. Well, nevertheless...

Yeah, jeez it's not like launch day is easily the most interesting day in any MMO (as long as the servers hold up) because everyone's starting at level one and it builds a sense of community. Imagine how much better the WoW Classic launch would have been if a bunch of people were already level 60. You'd have to be some kind of fuckin moron not to let your players buy power before the game's even out, imagine it.

Pretty sure you mean CRYREKT :confused:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ClownBobo posted:

Phew! That was close.

That's an actual dead person. Let's not.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Pull out, thread, pull out.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Baxta posted:

settlement.

The best thing about a settlement is that SQ42 might actually release!

Plus the victory laps would be amusingly wonky

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Oh yeah, and someone show Bobo their balls. This is getting silly.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Free Marching Powder!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Free Tophat!

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Hav posted:

Pull out, thread, pull out.

Speaking from experience, pulling out isn't 100% effective.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Dementropy posted:

:reddit: :

They are both wrong and they are both right.

CIG:

Right - Its alpha software, it has bugs, it is beeing fixed.

Wrong - Blame part on windows.

James S.A. Corey:

Right - Dosent want his cam to turn on without permission

Wrong - React like a transgenger sjw school boy on hormones

The best drat space subreddit ever!

Wow, it always amazes me just how horrible the SC community is.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Kosumo posted:

Free Tophat!

I miss tophat

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Hav posted:

this loving thread, I swear.

(Thanks for pointing that out, Zazz)

ClownBobo
Jan 3, 2020

Hav posted:

I'm new here. And a clown. It won't happen again.

e: would delete the pic or the post, but not seeing that option.

ClownBobo fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 7, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

ClownBobo posted:

I'm new here. And a clown. It won't happen again.

e: would delete the pic or the post, but not seeing that option.

You can edit the post and just remove it the pic...

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

"[img posted:

https://i.imgur.com/7TwHaJa.png[/img]"]Theorycraft but what if Crytek is attempting to just sell out to CIG for a low price. long shot but that would be worth it in both parties names. Crytek would become a subsidiary of CIG at that point keep their name but everything they own becomes CIGs. Id buy into that if i was CIG it helps both parties and makes CIG look like the good guys.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Quavers posted:

:reddit: Sounds like a lot of fundamental tech is still just coming online, other tech is still in prototyping/R&D, etc. They are nowhere near the polishing stages on most things. Doesn’t seem like there’s any way this will go to Beta this year.

:reddit: But they won’t admit as much until December, if they do at all

:reddit: I agree, definitely not happening this year and I think by the end of next year is a tossup.

:reddit: Personally, I think even longer than that. Never underestimate how long the final 1% of a production takes.

:reddit: You are probably right. It seems so obvious to us that a 2020 beta is practically impossible at this point with what little information we receive, so I can only imagine how long they've known this for. But I'm sure we won't hear anything until December 31st at 11:59PM.

Open development!

I love the backers just assume they're being lied to now. And they're 100% right lmao.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Quavers posted:

Starbase making-of trailer 1000 Ships Rendering & Netsync

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGvjtAAQ4RA

These guys have like 1/10,000th the budget of CIG and they are absolutely eating their lunch

CIG is so loving embarrassing; this is what a game looks like when you have a competent designer. Gameplay. Functionality. Features.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

These guys have like 1/10,000th the budget of CIG and they are absolutely eating their lunch

CIG is so loving embarrassing; this is what a game looks like when you have a competent designer. Gameplay. Functionality. Features.

no space legs. no immersion.

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Zaphod42 posted:

The style in which they explain their engine capabilities is pretty neat. Don't know if the game will be any good or not, but I would like to have seen these kind of videos as a SC backer back then.

You know, spawning 1000 ships, explain a bit what the general approach is with the networking, where the damage calculation is done, how the LOD works and so on. Explain it in layman terms while showing it. That we haven't seen more than a few ships at once in Chris` Mod is quite telling, fidelity or not. The engine isn't up to the task and most likely will never be, so we'll never seen 1000 auroras in a pack at once with a commando flying around with a rocket launcher showing what is possible and what not. Instead, we get highly detailed assets combined with smoke and mirrors and a buggy tech demo that craps itself when more than 50 players are active... yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I think you might be misinterpreting the job title "Legal Manager". It's one that's a bit ill-defined, but I think it's generally used to mean something more akin to "Legal Assistant". I really doubt it's the person actually legally representing the company, but instead is doing a number of administrative legal tasks and such. And I don't really see how having been a makeup artist in the past should disqualify someone from that role.

I did a linkedin search on CIG as well and there's at least one person there who is their legal counsel, with an actual law degree. CIG does indeed have real lawyers.

Fact.