Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Arrath posted:

Turns out the TU is terrible and AR/magnum starts Are The Way. Who knew!

"With Halo 1 in the Master Chief Collection, we've added some new features people have been requesting. We've back-ported the DMR into Halo 1 and added it to all matchmaking playlists as the default loadout!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FPzero posted:

"With Halo 1 in the Master Chief Collection, we've added some new features people have been requesting. We've back-ported the DMR into Halo 1 and added it to all matchmaking playlists as the default loadout!"

No stop you'll give them Ideas

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The pistol in Halo:CE is just a DMR that kills in three shots instead of four

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The real scary part would be if they had the aim assist from reach in halo 1 CE.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

The pistol in Halo:CE is just a DMR that kills in three shots instead of four

This reminds me that for our entire Halo 1 runtime my friends group played a custom game type, aptly named Slaughter.

It was plain TDM but with 50% shields. It was fuckin murder.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Arrath posted:

This reminds me that for our entire Halo 1 runtime my friends group played a custom game type, aptly named Slaughter.

It was plain TDM but with 50% shields. It was fuckin murder.

Meanwhile my clan and me always played no shields. SWAT before it was SWAT, basically.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Any more word yet about getting the sound issues on PC fixed? I'm not touching Halo Chief Master Reach again until such time as those things are cared for and given the word of our lord.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

Any more word yet about getting the sound issues on PC fixed? I'm not touching Halo Chief Master Reach again until such time as those things are cared for and given the word of our lord.
Last week they basically said they're working on the stuff on their known issues list (which has the sound bug, among other things), it's just taking a bit.

This week's update is about modding and the history of Halo modding, which is neat if only to see Microsoft actively talk about hacking the original Xbox and talking to guys called "GameCheat", but there's also some neat things about things they want to do in future updates.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Big update:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mcc-development-update-january-2020

Lots of little tweaks, bug fixes, new playlists

Honestly sounds pretty decent

Also some teasers:

They have all the Halo games running on PC internally, which is promising to hear. Working on mouse & keyboard inputs and aspect ratio and stuff.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Zaphod42 posted:

Big update:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mcc-development-update-january-2020

Lots of little tweaks, bug fixes, new playlists

Honestly sounds pretty decent

Also some teasers:

They have all the Halo games running on PC internally, which is promising to hear. Working on mouse & keyboard inputs and aspect ratio and stuff.

it's really cute how seriously they take their multiplayer and threaten bans for everything when the game has tanked to 2500~ players, at least on the Steam side.

That third pic looks good though; Halo 3 I'm assuming, and it looks like they got rid of the god awful bloom. Hope it stays that way. Halo 3 was really ugly.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
loving love being able to select heavies and AR starts

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I didn't see any notes on the sound issue, but I was phone surfing at the time and could have missed it. Is the sound issue resolved?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

I didn't see any notes on the sound issue, but I was phone surfing at the time and could have missed it. Is the sound issue resolved?
They're still working on it, and on pre-emptively making sure it doesn't happen to the other games, with hopes of sharing more in-depth info in the next blog (probably a forum post next week?). They mention that the public test for Halo 1 will also be testing a large update to Reach, so I'd be surprised if the audio fix isn't tested as part of that.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Kins posted:

They're still working on it, and on pre-emptively making sure it doesn't happen to the other games. They mention that the public test for Halo 1 will also be testing a large update to Reach, so I'd be surprised if the audio fix isn't tested as part of that.

Understood, thanks for the quick response!

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Winter Contingency is probably the dumbest and worst gametype I've ever seen and I love it?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Akett posted:

Winter Contingency is probably the dumbest and worst gametype I've ever seen and I love it?

What's the game type?

E: oh lol it's freeze tag

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 6, 2020

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I gotta admit I'd love to see freeze tag on BTB, it would never end.

Scariest thing I seem to be really good at it, like I've only lost two games.

The closest thing to a complaint I have about it is that games give almost no exp because kills are so rare.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I haven't played freeze tag in an FPS since ... Unreal Tournament? Quake 3?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Had some real exciting games tonight where we lost every one because the pubbies on the team only occasionally remember they have guns that fire bullets

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

I'm part of the Halo CE anniversary flight, multiplayer is working great but key bindings are messed up you can't have dual function keys apparently. the halo CE campaign is from the anniversary so it has the graphics switch however it uses the lovely new sounds instead of the classic Halo CE sounds. Halo Ce multiplayer has the classic sounds

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Tythas posted:

however it uses the lovely new sounds instead of the classic Halo CE sounds.
According to a dev on Reddit, you can get the classic sounds by selecting the original soundtrack.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

The Kins posted:

According to a dev on Reddit, you can get the classic sounds by selecting the original soundtrack.

oh Thank gently caress I was about to switch over to only playing the OG Gearbox PC port for good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Got into some kinda insider beta build for the MCC on PC, downloading it now. Apparently there's no restrictions on streaming it so there'll probably be lots of video of new halo poo poo soon.

I'll post back after the download finishes on whether this includes Halo 1 or what

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yep, it does have Halo 1. And this is the final phase 4 of the closed testing, so its probably gonna go live very soon, they're just testing it on different hardware for bugs or whatever.

It runs really smooth on PC, and being able to flip back and forth instantly between classic and remastered graphics is pretty great. :)

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yep, it does have Halo 1. And this is the final phase 4 of the closed testing, so its probably gonna go live very soon, they're just testing it on different hardware for bugs or whatever.

It runs really smooth on PC, and being able to flip back and forth instantly between classic and remastered graphics is pretty great. :)

Great - does this mean a week or two away, optimistically?

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
Are we going to get halo CE multiplayer? I'd like to play some hang em high

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

celewign posted:

Are we going to get halo CE multiplayer? I'd like to play some hang em high

Yep

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
February Developement Update. This one actively addresses the Reach audio issues and details some of the work being done to fix it.

quote:

Reach has some challenging technical hurdles - the foremost being the update and transfer of the audio signal path and processing scheme from the original release on Xbox 360. Since the underlying hardware architecture of the Xbox 360 is fundamentally different than our current Xbox One and PC platforms, our first internal pass involved an approximation of the PowerPC audio code and DSP.

We need to push farther, and so we have a special announcement! We are pleased to reveal a renewed partnership with Waves Audio, the leading audio DSP plugin manufacturer, who provided the original DSP plugins used in the original Halo 3, Halo 3 ODST, and Halo Reach releases.

Waves Audio is working hard with our teams to recompile and update their world-famous audio plugins and preserve the exact audio profile we know and love. It is a commendable effort from our Microsoft teams and partners - and we are excited to extend this level of detail and commitment to preserving the original experiences in their purest form.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I love this series but I'm starting to rapidly lose hope right now. Launching Reach without Forge was such a huge mistake. My brother and I have been keeping an eye on player counts and it fails to crack 4000 active daily players regularly. I know everyone's probably waiting for the next game update for it but without easy Forge access there's been no reason for tons of people to stick around. Couple that with the other bugs the release has had and we're both feeling pretty negative about the whole thing. 343 were sitting on gold with this release, but they fumbled everything post-launch, and the initial peak sales and players peak was people coming back for the fun of it, and then everyone left. I hope people return for Halo 1 and keep playing until the rest come out, but it sucks that my favorite game of them all launched first, was missing half its options that usually keep players around, and shed the rest of its playerbase as quickly as it did.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It could use a custom game browser too or something

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
If it's like this now how do they expect to sell their new Halo game to people?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tighclops posted:

I don't think anyone actually expects Halo 6 to be good

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
I just pretend everything after reach didn't happen? :shrug:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The Kins posted:

February Developement Update. This one actively addresses the Reach audio issues and details some of the work being done to fix it.

Geez this still isn't fixed?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

My dude. :respek:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

This but Halo PC

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FPzero posted:

I love this series but I'm starting to rapidly lose hope right now. Launching Reach without Forge was such a huge mistake. My brother and I have been keeping an eye on player counts and it fails to crack 4000 active daily players regularly. I know everyone's probably waiting for the next game update for it but without easy Forge access there's been no reason for tons of people to stick around. Couple that with the other bugs the release has had and we're both feeling pretty negative about the whole thing. 343 were sitting on gold with this release, but they fumbled everything post-launch, and the initial peak sales and players peak was people coming back for the fun of it, and then everyone left. I hope people return for Halo 1 and keep playing until the rest come out, but it sucks that my favorite game of them all launched first, was missing half its options that usually keep players around, and shed the rest of its playerbase as quickly as it did.

dude what dimension are you in?

Halo is dead. Its been dead for a long time. Halo 4 AND Halo 5 both sucked donkey balls.

This is just a relic project to port the old games to PC so we can play the good games Bungie made without having to be on Xbox. This game, the MCC, came out YEARS AGO on Xbox, and was itself a port of games that came out even more years ago on an even further past xbox console.

What hope do you have? What do you think this is? Where do you think you are?

If any of this was going to be anything but a disaster, it should have launched on PC when it launched on Xbox like 3 years ago. But the Xbox launch alone had endless disastrous errors. Did you hear nothing of that?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tighclops posted:

....what planet are you guys on?

Halo is dead. This is an attempt to squeeze the last bit of money left. I bought it because Halo 1-3 + ODST + Reach are good and I want them on PC.

If you think this is going to be the next big eSport or something you're hilariously misinformed.

My dudes the Master Chief Collection was released in 2014. And it was a disaster that took years to slowly fix. What do you think you're playing here?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I dunno man, I just hoped to revisit a series I loved and played a ton. A PC release should've had the potential to bring back plenty of players to the games. And for the first few days it did look like that. But then it nosedived, and people quickly realized without Forge or easy custom games access, there wasn't much to do in Reach. So we all played it a little bit longer but quickly fell off. I thought I'd end up sitting down and playing it a bunch more, going through campaign, enjoying the game and its design like I did years ago. I wanted that good feeling badly. But in the end, it just wasn't there. Based on all that, I suppose I can say I hyped myself up too much, but I just wanted to have fun with Halo again. I hadn't played the series since after 4 came out, because I lost my Reach disc and then my brother left all the rest of our discs with a friend who moved. I hadn't touched the series in over 5 years and just wanted that rush of Halo goodness once more, on a PC.

I guess I got it for a few days. I just wished that feeling stuck around longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

....what planet are you guys on?

Halo is dead. This is an attempt to squeeze the last bit of money left. I bought it because Halo 1-3 + ODST + Reach are good and I want them on PC.

If you think this is going to be the next big eSport or something you're hilariously misinformed.

My dudes the Master Chief Collection was released in 2014. And it was a disaster that took years to slowly fix. What do you think you're playing here?

All I asked was if nobody's playing the good Halos then why do they expect any kind of success with a new one, what the gently caress