Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hello friends. Have you heard of Halo? The main character is John Halo. Microsoft finally decided to put the games on PC in a convenient $40 package!

1. Halo: Reach
2. Halo: CE
3. Halo 2
4. Halo 3
5. ODST
6. Halo 4

https://store.steampowered.com/app/976730/Halo_The_Master_Chief_Collection/

The game supports up to 4K resolution and 60 FPS The first game to be released is Halo Reach, which will come out on December 3rd. Shortly afterward, Microsoft plans on starting beta tests for Halo: CE.

I think given how much game there is, how fun the multiplayer is, and how cheap it is this would be a great game for goons to get in on and play together. Halo customs in particular will be bonkers on PC!

Discord: https://discord.gg/epU93qn

Let me know if you want me to add anything cool to the OP

Halo Reach trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q831x9Rm3I

Halo Customs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4rEJqk3fVw

Halo MCC Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88VBun17AMI

eonwe fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I am very excite for Halo to come out on the Personal Computer machine.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i will play this game and enjoy it greatly

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm excited to replay the Halo Reach and ODST campaigns, and whip rear end at the Halo 3 multiplayer.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I will play the Hasbro Reach-around and it will be good and cool.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

I'm excited to replay the Halo Reach and ODST campaigns, and whip rear end at the Halo 3 multiplayer.

Friend, unfortunately we have to wait on ODST and Halo 3, but Reach...that’ll own.

Yeah, I got tempted a lot to run back and play the MCC on Xbox a few times this past year but am glad I’ve held off. It’s been so long I forgot just about everything so it’ll be nice that it’ll feel fresh again.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Halo is a cool guy who shoots aliens and is my hero

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m excited to hop in a Banshee and rain death from above all over again, just like almost two decades ago

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
gently caress yes I will buy a new PC to play these old games

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

I will become the Iron Master Chef on this PC thing

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Playing Halo:CE way back when on pc with online multiplayer was the poo poo so looking forward to it being a thing again. Modded weapons servers were A+

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rynoto posted:

Playing Halo:CE way back when on pc with online multiplayer was the poo poo so looking forward to it being a thing again. Modded weapons servers were A+

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Console Halo with its auto aim is practically a walking simulator compared to FEAR.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
It's pretty clever of Microsoft to lead with Reach, I cannot wait to relive the Adventures of Bee Spartan vs the Space Jerks.
The spacefighter bit is gonna be super pretty I bet.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

This will also be on Xbox Game Pass for PC on 12/3.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
It's been long enough that I'm jazzed to do a full playthrough of these. Until I hit Halo 4, obviously. Man I remember that campaign sucking.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What I'd really like is to get goons in VOIP regularly playing this together. I think that'd be a ton of fun.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
im not buying this until/unless it becomes clear 343 studios hasn't hosed up all of bungies code

i do really want a chance to play odst again tho

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Venuz Patrol posted:

im not buying this until/unless it becomes clear 343 studios hasn't hosed up all of bungies code

i do really want a chance to play odst again tho

thats fair!

Reach itself seems to run pretty well. The major complaints currently are about input lag for M + KB which they've said they've fixed and that controller aim assist is too strong, which they've said they don't currently want to turn down.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

eonwe posted:

What I'd really like is to get goons in VOIP regularly playing this together. I think that'd be a ton of fun.

is there going to be voice chat in this like there used to be on Xbox live or is that something that has to be set up outside of the game now

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tighclops posted:

is there going to be voice chat in this like there used to be on Xbox live or is that something that has to be set up outside of the game now

Yep, there is in game voice.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is more than 60 fps not going to be a thing in these remakes?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bardeh posted:

Is more than 60 fps not going to be a thing in these remakes?

The beta had a unlimited frame rate cap option.

Avail
Jun 27, 2005
the internet? what the fuck is the internet?
I wasn't around for reach but played everything before and after somehow. Glad it is coming out on PC for me to finally enjoy for the first time.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I love Halo and am ready to unlock the neat armor skins again for Reach on PC.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

why can't they release it all at once

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Squiddycat posted:

why can't they release it all at once

Microsoft hasn't been willing to clarify why. I guess just to avoid the issues that MCC had when it launched on Xbox One, it was a huge disaster and really embarrassing for Microsoft, so they have lost a lot of confidence in themselves.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Since it's a small studio doing the PC ports they can only do one at once, I assume, nothing particularly sinister. Ostensibly the work done on Reach should allow the following ones to happen faster.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

eonwe posted:

Yep, there is in game voice.

hearing the other team die screaming over proximity voice was one of Halo's highlights, I'm glad to read this thank you

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
If you've never played a halo game before, is it better to play them in release order or chronological order?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Mymla posted:

If you've never played a halo game before, is it better to play them in release order or chronological order?

Release.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im most excited about Halo 1 because Boarding Action and Chiron

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mymla posted:

It depends very, very heavily on your tolerance for massive steps back in gameplay. Reach is the last Bungie Halo out the door and the near decade of refinement in gameplay and encounter design is gonna show very, very hard in the move from Reach to 1 if it's your first time. That's not to say it's not worth you time, if you can stomach it, people still talk about Halo 1 levels for good reasons but it's gonna be jarring.

E: Also I hope that somewhere in the next year a post happens from someone who has never played Halo before where they complain about dual wielding existing for two games and then going away.

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 24, 2019

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Halo 1 is lit and you should play it right now even though it's ugly as poo poo.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I wonder if my having linked my Xbox Live account to my PC will allow my armor customization unlocks in Reach to carry over.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm sure you know that there's almost no way in hell but that'd be super cool.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I hope they finally make the space combat level into a multiplayer mode.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had the armor you can only get by playing with a bungie developer and I want it back.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Orv posted:

Ostensibly the work done on Reach should allow the following ones to happen faster.

Somewhat, but all the games have 'different' engines (and in the case of 1/2, two of them running in parallel!) - the Reach engine is apparently actually pretty different from the 3/ODST branch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

Maybe their process for converting/updating assets will get faster with practice?

Anyway, whatever. Games take time to port, they'll come out when they come out. Still pretty hyped about this, Reach's multiplayer was a lot of fun