Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

starbarry clock posted:

alright there are a few enemies mostly bosses with weird hitboxes like spring beak but if you equip ranged weapons like the bow whip boomerang or poledart you can hit him pretty consistantly
i think what most people confuse for poor hitbox detection is that enemies do have invincibility frames if your weapon doesnt hit them hard enough
have you ever noticed that if a chobin hood gets knocked down you can keep hitting it and stacking damage but if it makes a surprised face ":O" your attacks go through it? that isnt the hitbox its just the invincibility frame
also the only reason you have the choice of not spamming spells in trials of mana is because you have a variety of party members to choose from and you can avoid a lot of spell casting with duran/kevin/hawkeye and certain classes for the mages too
magic in general is a weaker choice in trials of mana and a lot of it is because the magic system is just objectively weaker than smacking people with buffed werewolf kevin
try playing trials of mana with duran/angela/charlotte and see how much of a slog the magic system is compared to the equal party setup of secret of mana

oh also
you can help your allies navigate the terrain better by modifying their ai in the options menu you can make them more or less aggressive and typically speaking making your allies super aggressive means they dont run in circles around the enemy like dummies and get stuck on the environment
depending on the area i will set the ai to different settings depending how fast i want to get through or if i want to grind or whatever

dude come on i’m fully aware of the (also awful) way the game handles invincibility frames and damage application, the hitboxes suck in addition to that. they suck in unison. the game is a perfect harmony of things that suck that creates a game suckier than the sum of its sucky parts.

also i’m literally using duran/angela/charlotte, i’m using plenty of magic, but i’m having way more fun with trials due to the fact that on a fundamental level it feels less awful to play. but going “oh yeah well try playing the game in the specific way I think supports my stance” is a funny line to attempt to take

and lmao how is constantly going into the ai menu and adjusting your party per area so they don’t constantly run into walls an acceptable solution. how is it acceptable at all. knowing the workaround to lovely systems doesn’t make them good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

absolutely anything posted:

dude come on i’m fully aware of the (also awful) way the game handles invincibility frames and damage application, the hitboxes suck in addition to that. they suck in unison. the game is a perfect harmony of things that suck that creates a game suckier than the sum of its sucky parts.

also i’m literally using duran/angela/charlotte, i’m using plenty of magic, but i’m having way more fun with trials due to the fact that on a fundamental level it feels less awful to play. but going “oh yeah well try playing the game in the specific way I think supports my stance” is a funny line to attempt to take

and lmao how is constantly going into the ai menu and adjusting your party per area so they don’t constantly run into walls an acceptable solution. how is it acceptable at all. knowing the workaround to lovely systems doesn’t make them good

i think youre exaggerating the hitboxes there are a few bosses like spring beak and the wall face that have some weird poo poo going on that makes them hard to hit but if you aim for the corners of the eyes on the wall face you can tag it easier than if you try hitting the eyes directly on
and the reason i suggested duran/angela/charlotte as your party for trials is that about halfway through the game it gets significantly harder and you do have to spam spells in order to stay relevant and it is a completely obnoxious magic system to use compared to secret of mana
again im not trying to make you do a certain playstyle im just trying to establish equivalency to the games we are comparing if you play through trials of mana without using caster classes then the combat system is better than secret of mana but if you go fighter/magic/cleric you will see that its not as fun as you think it is when the harder bosses take 1 damage from your magic-users unless they spam spells you simply will not outdamage the boss before it outdamages and kills you unless you spell spam
using the ai settings is also not a work around its a part of the game if you want to have your ai play better to what you want them to do at any given time you can tweak the ai if you dont do that its on you not the game

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

secret of mana's hitboxes are unclear because you can miss attacks and also enemies can dodge and defend them, however there's only barely an indicator in the latter part and none in the former. it's made more sense in like, the iOS version and the newer remake when they actually added "miss" indicators (although i had some caterpillar's hitbox like, completely disappear in the remake).

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Fun fact Phantasy Star 4 was originally to be on the Sega CD. I have never seen what was cut going from CD to cart but both one of my best friends and I have both had dreams about playing the CD version.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Phantasium posted:

secret of mana's hitboxes are unclear because you can miss attacks and also enemies can dodge and defend them, however there's only barely an indicator in the latter part and none in the former. it's made more sense in like, the iOS version and the newer remake when they actually added "miss" indicators (although i had some caterpillar's hitbox like, completely disappear in the remake).
yeah evasion is a thing too i assumed he knew about it though since he also knew about hit stuns and invincibility frames
it does make a different sound if you miss though but a visual indicator wouldve been nice

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

starbarry clock posted:

it does make a different sound if you miss though but a visual indicator wouldve been nice

iirc the thing that makes the sound is the dodge, not a miss.

maybe there is no difference but there's usually a tiny dodge animation that goes with it, too (well more like a single frame than an animation).

you can just straight up whiff and get no indicator

unless there's a separate miss noise and it's just so quiet i've missed it.

lo carb Lo Pan
Oct 8, 2004

TVs Ian posted:

I wonder if it would be possible to make a modern 5200 controller. Like, a Jaguar controller with a modern analog stick in place of the d-pad.

And I just searched to verify how many buttons that 5200 had and found somebody already built one.

They're expensive, but I would imagine they're such a niche item that not much can be done about that. Looks like you can get the boards and DIY it for cheaper.

Ive noticed on Ebay some sickos modded the Neo Geo AES joystick for 5200 since they have the same controller port with different pinouts and have made some questionable modding adding number pads in. :barf:

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I think that this will make for nice retro gaming. 11 previously untranslated English games!

https://twitter.com/ArcSystemWorksU/status/1225071583464570880?s=20

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh neat, always wanted to give that Samurai Semi-Sequal to RCR a go.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

lo carb Lo Pan posted:

Ive noticed on Ebay some sickos modded the Neo Geo AES joystick for 5200 since they have the same controller port with different pinouts and have made some questionable modding adding number pads in. :barf:

So that's extremely hosed up, but now I want to build a 5200 fightstick with an analog arcade joystick and mechanical keyboard switches for the number pad. But like, with a custom wood or acrylic housing, not slicing up a perfectly good stick. I need to see if the board for that other controller could be repurposed for that, I could use another project I'll never finish.

lo carb Lo Pan
Oct 8, 2004

TVs Ian posted:

So that's extremely hosed up, but now I want to build a 5200 fightstick with an analog arcade joystick and mechanical keyboard switches for the number pad. But like, with a custom wood or acrylic housing, not slicing up a perfectly good stick. I need to see if the board for that other controller could be repurposed for that, I could use another project I'll never finish.

I did see someone modded a Neo Geo X stick instead of an AES. All of them hilariously chopped the logos for the numpad though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wendell posted:

I think that this will make for nice retro gaming. 11 previously untranslated English games!

That's pretty sweet, though I think only three of those eleven have some linguistic barriers to entry. But even if it's just those three it's cool.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

my guess would be it's partly the AVGN reference, and partly the sheer weirdness of the game's existence

it's a game based on a Japanese movie that was filmed in English, with American and African actors, to be released in America, but somehow just never came out anywhere in the world except Japan. a year after the movie came out, Kemco licensed it to make a Famicom JRPG... and then three years later decided to translate the game to English and release it in the US, independently of the movie.

meaning, we got the originally-Japanese RPG based on it, but we didn't get the English-language movie it was based on.

e: it was also a late release, coming out in 1992 in the US, and late NES games tend to be kind of generally expensive and rare i've noticed, especially if there's anything remotely interesting about them

I thought AVGN's bad cover art episode was older than it is but the full cut of it was apparently posted to YouTube in December 2015; about when the curve starts. I've decided to sell it anyways and play it in an emulator so I can save scum if necessary, unless I get bored before it gets difficult. I did wrap my head around the mechanics to this game so it's only mildly annoying which is a plus. It means now I can focus on swearing at the somewhat high encounter rate as I repeatedly click through fight> call> spear> the spirit of the spear, hero Moja, has appeared!

Relax Or DIE posted:

maybe the wrong thread BUT:

I have a bunch of loose 3/DS games from various sales and I'd like to get cases/inserts for them so my ~collection~ looks better on my self. Is there a better way to go about this than ordering some blank cases and printing off the inserts from online somewhere?

Personally I'd say this was the right thread, but I know of no other way to accomplish your goal than to order a stack of cases and start printing from The Cover Project or the like. If space is a concern you could do what I did: either shell out for one of the old Nintendo Club 18 card cases or get one of the cheaper and suitable knockoffs to hold them all.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

If only the SMS version of Renegade were in that Kunio pack.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

TVs Ian posted:

I wonder if it would be possible to make a modern 5200 controller. Like, a Jaguar controller with a modern analog stick in place of the d-pad.

And I just searched to verify how many buttons that 5200 had and found somebody already built one.

They're expensive, but I would imagine they're such a niche item that not much can be done about that. Looks like you can get the boards and DIY it for cheaper.

Idk if anyone else watches Jenovi's YouTube stuff (who wrote that article) but I just read the whole thing in his voice.

If you haven't he always just has weird obtuse stuff and films from a horse barn or something.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
What’s the best light gun for PS2? Is it the guncon 2? Is there a better one that would work with PS1 games as well (if there are ps1 light fun games worth playing).

Some reason I have been wanting to get time crisis 2 and 3 and a lightgun, and just saw a Reddit post about a time crisis setup and figured I should go for it.

I use component to my crt but my component switch has two outputs, so how would that best connect with the light gun? Just use the green output?

If someone has an extra official one they’d like to sell, let me know and I can set up a SAmart post.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Wendell posted:

Oh sweet, I always wanted to play the historical drama one.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Djarum posted:

Fun fact Phantasy Star 4 was originally to be on the Sega CD. I have never seen what was cut going from CD to cart but both one of my best friends and I have both had dreams about playing the CD version.

Man, I know they would gently caress it up but the game I would be most excited about in the world is a new Phantasy Star game. I don't know if it's just that I grew up on PS1 but no other game sticks that same aesthetic. Hell, only 3 of the 4 Phantasy Star games do.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

RichterIX posted:

Man, I know they would gently caress it up but the game I would be most excited about in the world is a new Phantasy Star game. I don't know if it's just that I grew up on PS1 but no other game sticks that same aesthetic. Hell, only 3 of the 4 Phantasy Star games do.

Well I was told that there was some movement on a new real Phantasy Star about a year ago but I haven’t heard anything about it since. The success of the Sonic game made Sega realize that not only do they have a ton of IP that people love but if they make good games that people might buy them.

Oh the stuff that I was told about at the time Streets Of Rage and the Panzer remaster have been announced, but those are third parties handling them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's a VR version of Space Channel 5 coming out soon too :allears:.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Djarum posted:

Well I was told that there was some movement on a new real Phantasy Star about a year ago but I haven’t heard anything about it since. The success of the Sonic game made Sega realize that not only do they have a ton of IP that people love but if they make good games that people might buy them.
Sega put up some job ads about six months ago specifically for a new game in the Phantasy Star series, but those roles included client and server programmers so odds are it's another MMO thing.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

The Kins posted:

Sega put up some job ads about six months ago specifically for a new game in the Phantasy Star series, but those roles included client and server programmers so odds are it's another MMO thing.

I was specifically told both PSO and a mainline real rear end Phantasy Star. Sega considers them separate entities now.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Skies Toriyama should contribute art to come full circle on Phantasy Star’s original Dragon Ball rear end style.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

al-azad posted:

Phantasy Star’s original Dragon Ball rear end style.

well it has cute little dome houses but that's about it as far as the art goes

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Get me Toriyama for the vehicle and environment design and whoever worked on Zillion for the characters.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

Djarum posted:

The game was in development for the Genesis and the Sega CD at the same time, with the Genesis intended to get a stripped down version. At this point in development, the dungeons were PS1 styled first person mazes, and the anime styled screenshot cutscenes were FMV. The game's original title was "The Return of Alis", which implies a major plot element being the return of the heroine from PS1. The final relegates her to a very passing cameo.

The decision to focus on the Genesis version and scrap the CD version makes sense given the cost of fully Animated FMV and the low install base of the Sega CD.

This is pure theory territory, but I think you can some vestiges of the Alis return in the final product. Alys' (Japanese Lyra) resemblance to Alis seems less coincidental and more like an attempt to reuse assets from a point when Alis was a playable (or even the main) character. There's even a weird exchange between Alys and Rune who is a returning character from PS1 near the beginning of the game which implies that the two have a history together, which is never elaborated upon, but makes sense as foreshadowing left over from a script version when Alys was still Alis.

The name similarity only exists in English, which I like to imagine is the result of the translator being cheeky and planting a red herring because of how much Alys resembles a mature Alis.

As for Sega ever making a proper PS5, I think it would be awkward due to how well PS4 serves as an end to the narrative. I also would rather not see the series go further down the Final Fantasy route of having recurring motifs but no narrative continuity. I would much prefer a big budget remake of the originals. PS2 especially, it's the most frustrating mechanically of the Genesis games, but has a really interesting atmosphere that would translate well to a modern title.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Two things I learned from this month's issue of Retro Gamer

1) there was an official Mega Drive port of Duke Nukem (in Brazil, of course)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPdrJtrCi3U

2) the C64 version of Marble Madness had a hidden water stage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx8OpugC9X0

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Miles McCloud posted:

As for Sega ever making a proper PS5, I think it would be awkward due to how well PS4 serves as an end to the narrative. I also would rather not see the series go further down the Final Fantasy route of having recurring motifs but no narrative continuity. I would much prefer a big budget remake of the originals. PS2 especially, it's the most frustrating mechanically of the Genesis games, but has a really interesting atmosphere that would translate well to a modern title.

tbh i feel like it's been long enough that any PS5 would very consciously be the start of a "new" Phantasy Star series, most likely referencing the originals and sharing characters/locations but not being a direct sequel to any of the previous stories

that way, you keep enough that people going for a nostalgia buy are like "oh hey this is the Phantasy Star I remember and love," but people who've never picked up a non-PSO game in the series (or one at all) can still get into it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Two things I learned from this month's issue of Retro Gamer

1) there was an official Mega Drive port of Duke Nukem (in Brazil, of course)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPdrJtrCi3U

TFW you finally get your duke nukem texture pack for wolfenstein 3d working

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rune is Lutz in name only, after PS2 Lutz is a title that inherits his knowledge

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'm all for a new Phantasy Star but only if they keep the big anime hair.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I said this before but if they make a new PS game it's gonna be full of B-tier anime titties like the modern Shining games.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

tbh i feel like it's been long enough that any PS5 would very consciously be the start of a "new" Phantasy Star series, most likely referencing the originals and sharing characters/locations but not being a direct sequel to any of the previous stories

that way, you keep enough that people going for a nostalgia buy are like "oh hey this is the Phantasy Star I remember and love," but people who've never picked up a non-PSO game in the series (or one at all) can still get into it

That would be the way I’d handle it. I think the setting/look/feel is more important. I am utterly amazed that Sega never took advantage of Phantasy Star and really top tier RPG developers in general during the JRPG boom in the late 90s early 00s. You had Skies of Arcadia but that is about it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
SoA is such a good goddamn game. I remember when I first played it and realized I'd never thought of a floating island world with airships as transportation and it sort of took over my brain for a while.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pegnose Pete posted:

I said this before but if they make a new PS game it's gonna be full of B-tier anime titties like the modern Shining games.

That's just not fair; They're D's at least :downsrim:.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I fixed my GBA SP and now I can play my original Game Boy games in proper backlit glory again.

What's that? Play GBA games on it? That's what the DS is for!

Pegnose Pete posted:

gently caress you for getting me to try to figure out what the difference between A-tier and B-tier anime titties is.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

FireMrshlBill posted:

What’s the best light gun for PS2? Is it the guncon 2? Is there a better one that would work with PS1 games as well (if there are ps1 light fun games worth playing).

Some reason I have been wanting to get time crisis 2 and 3 and a lightgun, and just saw a Reddit post about a time crisis setup and figured I should go for it.

I use component to my crt but my component switch has two outputs, so how would that best connect with the light gun? Just use the green output?

If someone has an extra official one they’d like to sell, let me know and I can set up a SAmart post.

The Guncon2 is a little better with reloading with the magazine trigger, as a foot pedal is a little tough to come by. You can get 3rd party foot pedals on ebay, they're just a bit pricey and I can't confirm the quality or reliability of them. There are a couple Justifier only games as I recall and that gun tends to run pricier than the Guncons.

And if your looking for some upgrades -- this guy on ebay has microswitch mods for just about every lightgun: https://www.ebay.com/sch/magictrashman/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

I think the link up for guns in on blue for component, though I could be wrong and it's green, it's def one or the other though.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

2reachmu posted:

And if your looking for some upgrades -- this guy on ebay has microswitch mods for just about every lightgun: https://www.ebay.com/sch/magictrashman/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
Microswitch is really good, but won't make you better at the game, and is really only after you wear out the little SPST push switch.

2reachmu posted:

I think the link up for guns in on blue for component, though I could be wrong and it's green, it's def one or the other though.

It's green, which carries the sync signal for component.

Works great, just remember that light guns work best on curved glass.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Illuminado posted:

Works great, just remember that light guns work best on curved glass.

I had thought this as well, but a month or two back it was debunked, and all my lightguns (guncons 1 + 2, justifier, zapper, saturn 3rd party thing) work fine on my flatscreen trinitron. The bigger issue is, I believe, the HD CRT's, which happen to coincide with flat CRT's in terms of timespan. I *think* the 480i resolution is the issue, but that may not be true with, say, Dreamcast lightgun games. It's possible there's exceptions to this, but it is not true that flat CRTs are in and of themselves a problem with lightguns.

EDIT: I *have* had issues with some japanese PS2 lightgun games, but I don't fully know why that is. The guncon just won't shoot on center with those, but it works with every other american game I own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Try it in the corners, and you'll probably see a lot more deflection, which is a common thing.

They still WORK fine for the most part, but not optimally.

Also, I'm very, very excited about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4rlQIpUzxs