Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I just realized how much I avoid twitter, facebook, youtube comments, and 99.5% of Reddit. I mostly just hang around in Games and lurk a handful of threads outside of here.

Speaking of games, I've been continuing to read Steins; Gate and man, this game is very anime. It's starting to get interesting with the science stuff though and I enjoy the Tips list that fill out their world. I'm ready for more. Their parody name thing seems a little excessive though. Kinda hate it sometimes. Google -> Smoogle. That's not in the game, just an example of how they do it.

I'm also going through DS3 again with a super-powered character. Just some dumb fun. Offline, of course. I just want to look at everything in 1440p without the intense fear.

Bad North seems pretty okay. RTS-lite that rewards smart positioning and good counters. I like the sounds.

dmboogie posted:

i dont think anyone here is claiming that people who said 'PC Master Race' are literal nazis, theyre saying that there are dumb assholes who use the term unironically to mean 'haha scrubs PCs are better than consoles git gud' or w/e which is absolutely a thing

Oh brother, I still see a lot of that still in the Steam Community Hubs (when I'm searching for workarounds/troubleshooting solutions/plot synopses). On the bright side, they just seem like trolls instead of real people, so that's good. I'd grab one of the next consoles, but cars love being maintained. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

For the last week or so, when I use my Steam Link it launches with my library filtered to "Remote Play Optimised" games, which doesn't include what I want to play. I can't find anything in the Link or Big Picture options to stop this behaviour. It's a very minor annoyance but I'd like to disable it if possible.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Party Boat posted:

For the last week or so, when I use my Steam Link it launches with my library filtered to "Remote Play Optimised" games, which doesn't include what I want to play. I can't find anything in the Link or Big Picture options to stop this behaviour. It's a very minor annoyance but I'd like to disable it if possible.

Wait, so even if you tick it off, it'll turn back on every launch?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Yeah, I found it though. On the Steam Link go to settings, streaming, press Y for advanced options and then change the default view to "Big Picture". Thanks for forcing on an option I didn't want or need and burying the control to turn it off in a submenu I didn't know existed valve

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Krazyface posted:

I'm not convinced these people are real. Internet nazis are definitely real, but the idea that this old self-deprecating joke has any higher meaning is dumb as poo poo. Keep in mind that the Awful Septic Tank was called the Comedy Gas Chamber until like a month ago. Is everyone who posted here prior to that a crypto-Nazi?

It's just goon hivemind hyperbole, people repeating things at each other until they become true. It's like how people here will swear that Reddit is a sea of pedophiles (when it's a giant website, with like a billion users, which doesn't do enough to stamp out paeds), or how Games Workshop staggers from one disaster to the next (when it's a fairly-successful business that sometimes makes decisions that piss off the fans), or how the CineD subforum is elitists huffing their own farts and bullying any normal people who wander in (true on the fart-huffing, but they're very welcoming people). I remember a couple years ago in one of the Chapo threads someone said, as a joke, that Matt Christman had gotten divorced, and for weeks afterwards you had people who genuinely believed it.

What are you talking about? What is this scenario? You're in a multiplayer match with some Nazis, and you say, "actually the term 'PC master race' was first used ironically", and then everyone cheers until they leave the lobby?

I just thought it's a really stale joke

like, it may as well have been The Cake Is A Lie Racer

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

sounds like your a nazi op

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

e: you know what I shouldn't even joke about that poo poo, n/m

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Feb 7, 2020

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

The answer to literally any question about Hellblade's design choices is "to try and make neurotypical people experience a little of what people who suffer from severe psychosis deal with every day."

I mean some of them sure. I'm not giving Ninja Theory much credit though. Every game they've made has been a tedious awkward slog. They weren't trying to emulate psychosis in Enslaved or dmc or uh heavenly sword? They're just not very good at making games that are fun to actually play.

Which sucks considering they're pretty bad at everything else too!

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ugh I thought I was current. Uh new topic, anyone playing Stoneshard? Reaaaaaal early but pretty promising top down rpg. So like if you've ever plaed Dredmor or Dungeon Crawl or Nethack and thought "I like the rpg poo poo in here but kinda wish someone made a handcrafted dungeon crawler with it for a change" that seems to be where it's going.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

How many actually good Wild West games are there? All I can think of are that Call of Juarez game and Hard West.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

How many actually good Wild West games are there? All I can think of are that Call of Juarez game and Hard West.

Any of the CoJ games (besides that weird Cartel one) are good, not just Gunslinger. The first one is flawed but does a lot right, and Bound in Blood is legit fantastic.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Any of the CoJ games (besides that weird Cartel one) are good, not just Gunslinger. The first one is flawed but does a lot right, and Bound in Blood is legit fantastic.

Okay, but do they have cowboys?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

I thought Red Dead Redemption 2 but then I started playing it and there's not as much desert as you would think.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, but do they have cowboys?

They are indeed Wild West as hell. The first one ends with a giant battle in an old mission, and there’s lots of quick draw showdowns and all that fun stuff. Bound in Blood has a really good story, too.

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"

A Sometimes Food posted:

Ugh I thought I was current. Uh new topic, anyone playing Stoneshard? Reaaaaaal early but pretty promising top down rpg. So like if you've ever plaed Dredmor or Dungeon Crawl or Nethack and thought "I like the rpg poo poo in here but kinda wish someone made a handcrafted dungeon crawler with it for a change" that seems to be where it's going.

Had a good time until the Abbott (?) Boss fight then rage quit after I couldn't figure out how to heal myself or what I needed to do to beat the thing until I was already down to 16 health.

Anyways, great game.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
In case you needed even more anime injected directly into your veins, Azur Lane: Crosswave is coming out in a few days.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

A Sometimes Food posted:

My understanding is that the only thing that's handcrafted is the prologue dungeon. Everything after that is procedural.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Desperados is fun. And so is Westerado.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Does West of Loathing count? That’s such a good game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

thanks guys!

I have mixed feelings on Red Dead Redemption 1 (played it on the xbox) so I'm not ready to pay full price for 2. And West of Loathing isn't my kind of humor, alas.

also before I get judged for the anime, it's a side-scrolling shooter and might be good, who knows, I'm willing to keep an eye on it for a while

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Loathing designer was an abuser

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Loathing designer was an abuser

Well gently caress.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yeah he got caught up in the dragnet during the furor that came about after alec holowka from night in the woods was outed as a serial abuser/killed himself, it was a wild week

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

CoJ Gunslinger literally taught me what an Unreliable Narrator is, and I wish I'd seen more of that in school; it's really interesting to me

love the bit at about 5 minutes, here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZC45aGq8bY&t=296s

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Yeah Call Of Juarez Gunslinger is genuinely one of my all time favorite single player FPS games. It’s so good and I have and will shill for it till the day I die

I really wish they’d make a new one but the series seems dead :rip: :sigh:

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

it's not out yet so who even knows if it will be good, but if you are looking for Wild West type of games there is also Weird West:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1097350/Weird_West/

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I still can't explain the name, but Depraved is a fun little town builder along the lines of Banished. There's also the classic LucasArts FPS Outlaws, though I haven't played it since it was new and exciting so I can't say how it's held up.

Anyway, here's an actual pleasant surprise from the indie spawning pits of Steam.

:intv: Platformebruary 2020: Ultimate Collector's Edition :intv:

1. Blasphemous
2. Duck Souls
3. Dune Sea
4. A Robot Named Fight
5. Sonic Mania
6. Izeriya

7. MagiCat

I don’t ask much of the really indie platformers, just that they offer a unique or quality experience. You can hang with an amazing game like Hollow Knight for dozens of hours, but I’m just as happy with the wide range of experiences found in the indie scene. What makes MagiCat so special, then, is how it offers that unique experience within a remarkably broad package. And within the huge array of levels and challenges, it still manages to switch things up and keep you engaged. Honestly this one could’ve gotten by just on cuteness and presentation, but there’s a vast game here that’s waiting for you to get your paws on it.

You’re a magic cat, you have a magic gem, and a magic monkey steals your magic gem. That’s the whole plot. You’ll get the occasional cutscene or dialogue with a world boss, but everyone speaks in miaos and squeaks so there’s nothing to follow. This does punch up the adorableness of the game even further, which is already at dangerously high levels with your little peep that summons your attacks and your little kicky feet when you flutter in the air. Really the entire presentation deserves recognition for being such a bright, fanciful 16-bit package. There’s that indie sparseness with details that leave levels feeling a bit empty, but the colors and and clarity of the game really pick up the slack.

In terms of structure, you’re starting at one end of the world, and you’ve got to get to the other. There’s seven worlds of nine levels each, connected by a web of trails and bridges and islands on the overworld map. You can wander this freely to pick up coins and hunt for secrets, but the real treat here is how none of the worlds is entirely linear. All of them branch at least once, allowing you to pick different halves of the world to tackle. They also split into different thematic zones, so you might get a choice between a grim castle or fluffy cloudlands. The shops dotting the land offer new powers as well, some of which allow you to skip around or mess with stuff on the overworld.

Once you’re in a level, you’ve got a lot that’s familiar and a few unique features. Your enchanted kitty can run, jump, flutter for extra jump distance, and miao at enemies in explosive fashion. Your attack actually arcs, and offers a few angles of launch, so there’s some strategy in deploying even basic attacks. There’s a dash as well, but the uses are limited to potions you find during levels. You’ll find a good two or three dozen along the way, but there are bonuses for not using it, and they also trigger the mid-level checkpoints. That’s right, you have to pay to use checkpoints, and they’re priced such that you may not even be able to activate them all. Levels are pretty short, though, and if you decide to cheap out and then die, you can spend another currency for on-the-spot revivals.

Some might balk at limited dashes or optional checkpoints, but they give MagiCat a really clever sort of custom difficulty. If you like dashing, you can lean on that at the expense of checkpoint security. If you’re frugal, you can trigger more checkpoints. If you decide to live on the edge, you can power through with revivals. Or you can say no to everything and ironman every stage for score bonuses. This system also encourages taking on the challenges to get potions in the first place, giving the game a little added direction. There’s a wealth of challenges beyond this even, with three tricky gems to find per level, time attack modes unlocked after beating a level, and special recognition for beating bosses with no revives and no hits.

All that being said, the game does start out in fairly simple territory and ramp up the challenge hard by the end. You’d be forgiven for thinking MagiCat is tuned for younger audiences in the first world or two, but in the last few worlds it goes full-on precision platforming. Dashes and checkpoints help, of course, but you do need to be prepared for the overall difficulty curve. On the bright side, the game gets very creative with its challenges. You’ll come across all kinds of clever traps and arrangements with switches, push blocks, special powers like becoming a ball, reflecting lasers, and more. They even went as far to stick a boss at the end of every single level, over 60 in all, each with its own attack pattern or gimmick to contend with.

I have to say, I’m terribly impressed with how much quality and creativity is crammed into this budget platformer. I expected a cute, simple adventure, and what I got was a sprawling quest with dozens of diverse levels, bosses, and challenges. It’s still very much an indie game, with simple graphics and something of a weak soundtrack, but those details are easily overlooked when there’s so much more to really dig into. You’re getting a crazy amount of content here, and really, even without that I probably would have told you to play the game with the cute hat-wearing kitty.

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 7, 2020

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

CoJ Gunslinger literally taught me what an Unreliable Narrator is, and I wish I'd seen more of that in school; it's really interesting to me

love the bit at about 5 minutes, here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZC45aGq8bY&t=296s

Gunslinger has an extremely literal definition of Unreliable Narrator but it works in a video game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Xaris posted:

Yeah Call Of Juarez Gunslinger is genuinely one of my all time favorite single player FPS games. It’s so good and I have and will shill for it till the day I die

I really wish they’d make a new one but the series seems dead :rip: :sigh:

the worst part is the actual shootyshoot was really really good too, not just the story telling

RIP CoJ :(

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Westerado, def.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
The night in the woods dev killed himself?? Does that mean I can morally purchase the game?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fun Times! posted:

The night in the woods dev killed himself?? Does that mean I can morally purchase the game?

yes, also lead is a little misnomer because he wasn’t the lead as he apparently was involved relatively little in it anyways doing not much and he hated the game because it wasn’t his. It was the other 2 leads (Scott and beth) whose baby it was, and they seem cool and good people

Here’s a post from Scott about how it went down
https://medium.com/@bombsfall/alec-2618dc1e23e

Xaris fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 7, 2020

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Fatty posted:

My understanding is that the only thing that's handcrafted is the prologue dungeon. Everything after that is procedural.

Ah dang.

Beach Party posted:

Had a good time until the Abbott (?) Boss fight then rage quit after I couldn't figure out how to heal myself or what I needed to do to beat the thing until I was already down to 16 health.

Anyways, great game.

I used the tough potion and then went ape on the statues. then just dodged his attacks and threw fireballs/stabbed him.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Beach Party posted:

Anyways, great game.

Hah same. I could look up how to beat the Abbott boss but I'd rather figure it out myself, my main problem is he just heals himself for way more damage then I'm doing. Still kind of a bizarre choice to throw a fairly difficult boss right at the end of the tutorial. Everything else I've really like so far.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

GUN, the proto-Red Dead, was pretty fun back in the day but it hasn't aged gracefully.

It has a really long tutorial and takes some time to really let you go out and do stuff, it's also really finicky with current hardware so it'll probably be unstable and you'll definitely need a widescreen fix.

But, I remember it having pretty decent gunplay and a great atmosphere.

Otherwise, RDR2 is probably the absolute best yeehaw experience you can get on the PC right now and I say that as a pretty drat big Western aficionado.
It just has a learning curve and requires a pretty decent PC... it also sort of has the same issue as GUN with the long tutorial but I thought it was handled a great deal better here just because it felt so Hateful Eight to me that I loved it.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 7, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Deakul posted:

GUN, the proto-Red Dead, was pretty fun back in the day but it hasn't aged gracefully.

It has a really long ponderous opening and takes some time to really let you go out and do stuff, it's also really finicky with current hardware so it'll probably be unstable and you'll definitely need a widescreen fix.

But, I remember it having pretty decent gunplay and a great atmosphere.

Oh man, I loved that game when it came out. The VA cast was crazy stacked for a game from 2005. Ron Perlman, Thomas Jane, so on and so forth.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Oh poo poo, I didn't realize GUN came to steam! Yeah that's going on the wishlist, I'll be happy to fiddle with it until I can play it - I am so, so fascinated by older FPSes and their design.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Yeah, I tried it again a few years ago around when RDR2 got announced and I'll be honest that I put it down due to the age of it... it didn't feel great to play.
But, if you can get it working adequately with no mouse sensitivity issues and a widescreen fix that doesn't stretch the UI to be ugly as sin... I'm all ears, I'd love to play it again.

I just threw it out there as a reminder that it does exist.

COJ Gunslinger, Bound in Blood, and Outlaws are definitely the best Old West FPSes but for open world games the pickings are slim.

I was never super into the Commandos-genre, I guess real time tactics is WHAT that would be? So, Desperados didn't do much for me.

You've also got Age of Empires 3, Empire Total War, or Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai to a degree, you can age up to 1800s tech and essentially field an army of cowboys. :v:

Deakul fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 7, 2020

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Just putting it out there, it's one of the better freebies:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance will be free on EGS from 2/13 - 2/20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

quote:

You’re a magic cat
With a little magic kitty witches' hat. Seriously, this game is adorable.

Deakul posted:

I was never super into the Commandos-genre, I guess real time tactics is that would be? So, Desperados didn't do much for me.
The first Desperados game is legitimately pretty good. It has that old-school hand-drawn 2D charm to it and while the plot is pretty basic spaghetti western fare, it's still fairly decent and your little pixel mans are all given an appreciable amount of personality and characterization. I would absolutely not recommend any of the sequels, they are awful, but if you want a Commando style game with challenging levels and good atmosphere, Desperados is definitely up there.