Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the game is up for preorder (it hasn't been added to the voucher list is apparently voucherable per jivjov below) and there are a bunch of new screenshots and check out these mushrooms

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Eshop has preorders up, voucher eligible. If you've been sitting on one for a while, now's the time!

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
I'll just note that if you're looking to get it digitally, Raise.com also has a deal going on right now for an extra seven percent off of certain gift cards, and eShop cards are one of them. They're legit, and if you haven't used them before I think you get an extra ten dollars off your first purchase.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

I sold my switch earlier last year to fund other hobby items and am now, foolishly, buying another just to play this game.

I can't wait to minmax my neighbours.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

an owls casket posted:

I'll just note that if you're looking to get it digitally, Raise.com also has a deal going on right now for an extra seven percent off of certain gift cards, and eShop cards are one of them. They're legit, and if you haven't used them before I think you get an extra ten dollars off your first purchase.

Are we allowed to post referral links? Cause I have one for Raise

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

UK residents, have a look at Shopto, you can get a digital code for £39. It's cheaper than the eshop and they're an official digital outlet the same way Amazon are, so no worries about codes or accounts getting revoked.

https://www.shopto.net/en/ndo10004427-animal-crossing-new-horizons-switch-p191565/

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

All the fall screen shots they've shown off have looked so drat pretty.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
When they say that Animal Crossing does not support transferring saves between systems, does that just mean that it doesn't support transferring AC data as a standalone operation (which I didn't even think was possible for any game), or does it mean that even if I did a full system transfer to a new Switch, the AC data wouldn't go along with it?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

jackhunter64 posted:

UK residents, have a look at Shopto, you can get a digital code for £39. It's cheaper than the eshop and they're an official digital outlet the same way Amazon are, so no worries about codes or accounts getting revoked.

https://www.shopto.net/en/ndo10004427-animal-crossing-new-horizons-switch-p191565/

ive used shopto a couple of times and they are legit, sometimes there is a short wait before the code comes through though. happened on my first purchase with them and i freaked but it came through an hour later and i havnt had it happen again since then.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Argue posted:

When they say that Animal Crossing does not support transferring saves between systems, does that just mean that it doesn't support transferring AC data as a standalone operation (which I didn't even think was possible for any game), or does it mean that even if I did a full system transfer to a new Switch, the AC data wouldn't go along with it?

This sort of thing is so confusing to me. I don't understand why Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo feel the need to lock down their saves. This serves no purpose and is extremely unfriendly and hostile to its users.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its just nintendo

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Stux posted:

ive used shopto a couple of times and they are legit, sometimes there is a short wait before the code comes through though. happened on my first purchase with them and i freaked but it came through an hour later and i havnt had it happen again since then.

I had to wait 36 hours for my Link's Awakening code when I bought it after launch, but my DQ11 and Pokemon Sword xpac codes were instant. It's very variable.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Found here:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch/Animal-Crossing-New-Horizons-1438623.html

• This game does not support the Save Data Cloud functionality of Nintendo Switch Online. However, the ability to recover Animal Crossing: New Horizons save data from the server in the event of console failure, loss or theft will be available to Nintendo Switch Online members sometime in the future.

• Animal Crossing: New Horizons does not support the ability to transfer your save file from one Nintendo Switch console to another.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Is it tooo late to preorder the AC switch? looks like its out everywhere.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

incoherent posted:

Is it tooo late to preorder the AC switch? looks like its out everywhere.

Allegedly GameStops are getting some for walk-ins so you might want to try hitting those up on release day.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'm so unbelievably excited for this game. I love the new lighting engine.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I think most are super excited for it, hence the craziness that the special edition switch keeps selling out. That has to be a huge surprise for Nintendo.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Kalsco posted:

I sold my switch earlier last year to fund other hobby items and am now, foolishly, buying another just to play this game.

I can't wait to minmax my neighbours.

Same (sort of -- I traded my Switch in due to inactivity to help make a friend's birthday really good.) Looking back at my Nintendo hardware purchases, I would've been buying the Animal Crossing Switch anyway. Everything worked out.

I was actually kind of fighting it in my head. I went from "alright, I'll wait until reviews for the game come out, just to make sure it's not another Animal Crossing dud that's lost its way" to "I'm only gonna preorder if an Animal Crossing Switch comes with it" to "ah poo poo"

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm a Prime member and I don't see a $10 savings on the preorder on Amazon. I'm in the US. Did I miss it?

I have so much nostalgia for the GameCube version. My friend played every single day for a full year and was sad when they didn't acknowledge it. There were so many little hidden events in the game that I couldn't blame him for trying that. Even though there was a strategy guide, it was still early enough in the Internet days that things could still be surprises.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Official unboxing with Krista and the friendzoned guy

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I still wish that enhanced version of the GameCube game got an English release. I like how you could wake up Nook after hours in it. It seemed like it had a few more features that haven't shown up in later titles. I'd probably play it if it ever got a fan translation.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I want Animal Crossing to be a social strand game.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Has there been any word on what multiplayer is going to look like? I have two Switches and the wife and I will definitely be playing. I am just curious to see if the gameplay experience will be substantially different if we have two copies of the game.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

glassyalabolas posted:

[*]Animal Crossing: New Horizons does not support the ability to transfer your save file from one Nintendo Switch console to another.
[/list]

Yeah, but it's still not clear to me, does this mean you can't transfer the AC data as a standalone operation (ie, leaving other games' data behind)? Or does it mean that even with a full system transfer, your AC data would be left behind?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It seems like they’re working on some kind of cloud saving solution.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Hekk posted:

Has there been any word on what multiplayer is going to look like? I have two Switches and the wife and I will definitely be playing. I am just curious to see if the gameplay experience will be substantially different if we have two copies of the game.

If you have two copies you'll be able to visit each others islands instead of having to live together on the same one, imho that's the more fun way to play since you can trade fruits and stuff for more bells plus nobody can accidentally gently caress up something the other person was doing.

They haven't said how single switch multiplayer will work in full detail yet but I already know idgaf about that, we are also a two switch household.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Most likely what happened is nintendo planned to treat this animal crossing in the past regarding saves, but people (rightfully) started flipping their poo poo when it was discovered that New Horizons would behave the same way, so now they are actively working on a solution.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

skooma512 posted:

I want Animal Crossing to be a social strand game.
giant explosions and hordes of undead Isabelles

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Should we start to worry about micro transactions?

https://www.siliconera.com/animal-crossing-new-horizons-dlc-hinted-at-by-esrb-rating/

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

gently caress, beaten lol

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Me when I check out other people's islands and see just how many players had been screwed over by the "Gotta tan for hours to have your actual skin in-game" mechanic in the past because now they can just create how they wanna look from the start.:

https://youtu.be/8aE4EEVJyZ0?t=54

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I've got a bad feeling about it, since Nintendo has spent the last few years discovering how quick a lot of people are to spend pennies at a time on pointless bullshit. It's a little early to be disclosing future DLC as an "in-game purchase", but who knows.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

enojy posted:

I've got a bad feeling about it, since Nintendo has spent the last few years discovering how quick a lot of people are to spend pennies at a time on pointless bullshit. It's a little early to be disclosing future DLC as an "in-game purchase", but who knows.

In optimism land, if they talked about buying DLC in-game later instead they'd have to get the game re-rated and jump through hoops for existing copies to reflect the fact the original ESRB boxout would be incorrect, so now is probably exactly the right time to make sure it's mentioned.

Edit: Pokemon has exactly the same listing in its rating, presumably because you can buy the expansion directly from inside the game and they always intended you to. There are no other purchases or mtx mechanics in Pokemon to warrant needing that tag.

Storm in a teacup until they say something to the contrary.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 9, 2020

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

Edit: Pokemon has exactly the same listing in its rating, presumably because you can buy the expansion directly from inside the game and they always intended you to. There are no other purchases or mtx mechanics in Pokemon to warrant needing that tag.

This was my follow up question. Thank you for answering it.

I'm feeling pretty tolerant towards Nintendo DLC right now. The Pokemon DLC sounds fine from the description. Something similar for Animal Crossing would probably also sound fine to me.

Pocket Camp microtransactions still make me irrationally angry just thinking about them.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

History Comes Inside! posted:

In optimism land, if they talked about buying DLC in-game later instead they'd have to get the game re-rated and jump through hoops for existing copies to reflect the fact the original ESRB boxout would be incorrect, so now is probably exactly the right time to make sure it's mentioned.

Storm in a teacup until they say something to the contrary.

That's a really good point, and eases my worries a lot. I've largely approved of Nintendo's DLC offerings for their console games over the past few years, and wouldn't mind that at all. I just hope they don't pour too much Pocket Camp into New Horizons.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The descriptor of “in game purchases” sounds like it could be just regular DLC so I’m not worried. DLC makes perfect sense for a game that you’re meant to play little by little over such a long time. Would be cool to get an expansion or 2 in the years after release.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Animal Crossing New Horizons: Cataclysm

Chronicler of Dongs
Apr 22, 2003

~*~ Magic Mittens ~*~

I don't disagree with DLC completely but hopefully it's not lousy with it right outta the gate. Some down the line to keep things a bit fresh might be nice, like how they introduced that Welcome Amiibo stuff a couple after New Leaf was released. I didn't care for it but it was easy enough to ignore, and I mostly moved on from the game at that point anyway.

Pocket Camp got too gross for me to touch anymore so I moved on to City Folk to give me my AC fix for the next month. I was really bummed by it when it was released since it was basically just Wild World all over again but playing it on PC with a mouse is actually pretty nice. I've got a new appreciation for it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’ve also been playing City Folk a bit since it’s the only one I missed in the lead up. It’s fun still but I really hate the control scheme, with Wiimote and nunchuck at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

AC will probably have a season pass or a DLC pack just like almost every other major 1st party release has gotten recently. I imagine it'll just add more furniture, villagers, clothes ect, maybe new areas and features. No way anything like the fortune cookies or whatever from Pocket Camp make it in, that kind of stuff stays in the Mobile verse.