Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

GotLag posted:

:toot: Honk for 0.18 now has a new hotkey to play an alternate honk (Shift+H), and you can choose in the mod settings to make the regular Honk! key (H) either choose a sound based on movement or play a specific honk. :grovertoot:

Also manual honking now works even if you're riding in a locomotive running in automatic/scheduled mode, because more honks = more better

:honk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The mod scene for this game is kinda badly sorted, is there not a good library of mod packs that has everything pre-compatible? Trudging through the mod site for individual mods is a goddamn chore.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Many mods are compatible with each other. The big overhaul mods are the ones that may have issues with each other, but even they often work together just fine.

What are you looking for? Major changes in game play or minor tweaks?

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Demiurge4 posted:

The mod scene for this game is kinda badly sorted, is there not a good library of mod packs that has everything pre-compatible? Trudging through the mod site for individual mods is a goddamn chore.

I like the in game mod browser and I can't think of a game that has a better one. It sorts out dependencies and makes updates easy. The best part is that it's not filled with nude anime mods like the nexus

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
I'm not a huge fan of the major overhaul mods, so here's what I'm playing with:

UI / Visual Only
Bottleneck - Puts an indicator on assemblers and other buildings when they're not able to produce optimally for some reason (missing input / output blocked)
Disco Science
YARM - Resource Monitor - Hit alt-y and select a piece of resource field. Displays lifetime remaining and some other info for the orefield.

Quality of Life
Auto Deconstruct - flags tapped-out mines for drones to pick up
PersonalTeleporter - uranium-era tech, put down teleporter pads around your sprawling base.
Reverse Factory - multiple levels of buildings that lets you get resources back for e.g. obsolete boilers
Squeak Through
Tree Collision - reduces (not eliminates) collision box for trees
VehicleSnap - move in 8 or 16 cardinal directions (i.e., on roadways)
Asphalt Roads - (still not .18 compatible) - aesthetically pleasing roadways. Adds tar material, works with Wood Gasification

Minor Features
Big Brother - improves range and scan speed of radars
Big Pole Reach - lets you place large power poles at 32 units apart (one chunk)
Lighted Electric Poles+ - combines lights with poles
Water Well - pumpjack-sized water wells, anywhere
Wood Gasification - not yet 0.18 compatible - convert trees into petroleum, tar

Major Features
Cargo Ships - build ports and extend your factory overseas without making landbridges
Electric Furnaces - simplifies e.g. steelmaking
Factorissimo2 - multisized (and nestable) factory containers
Miniloader - haven't used it yet but apparently is good for UPS
Rampant - adds challenging biters
Rampant Arsenal - bigger guns. better guns. A laser that fires for hundreds of megawatts, I find out. Fed those 50 beasties into the reverse factory after that test
Side Inserters - allows new blueprint configurations
Robot Mining Site - (still not .18 compatible) - Mining drones and drone depots for unloading

Note: - my above categorization is in hindsight arbitrary and inconsistent

Duodecimal fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 5, 2020

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

No mention of Honk? For shame.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Honk needs it's own mod category, like Primus is it's own category ID3 or Itunes category:

Honk
Honk - Honk!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I'm still thinking about making a Christmas mod where instead of researching at labs you deliver presents to little houses

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Canuckistan posted:

Honk needs it's own mod category, like Primus is it's own category ID3 or Itunes category:

Honk
Honk - Honk!

I never knew this and it's amazing.

http://id3.org/id3v2-00

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Canuckistan posted:

Honk
Honk - Honk!

I've installed it now.

The kind of game I'm playing now (or would be once I can load my save without the mining depots and bots vanishing) is an islands type game. Managed to clear my starting island of biters and am now safe, but have to expand to the surrounding continents if I'm going to expand past 60 sci/min (baseline, I just reached repeating science so it's some multiple of that now).

This is my last 0.17 factory:

I'm going to keep playing it because I hadn't gotten around to building my seaports yet, which is what I was looking forward to. I'm eyeing the coastline to my west. Two large copper and a large iron field over there.

Took my boat ride around to circumnavigate my home continent, plopping down independent radar stations.

I am curious about any simple, modless train stations people like using. My loading / unloading stations look like this (with dying iron ore loader):

That's a 16x16 belt balancer on the unloading station (some chests have run out here), simple enough to be hand-crafted without a blueprint (which this one was)

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

That's an elegant way to unload a train - but wouldn't be slightly slower to unload than just lining both sides with all 6 unloaders; or is there something I might be missing?

Anyone good with circuit logic?

I'm trying for the life of me of using a single wire to transmit multiple signals of the same type. I thought I had something by making the inputs the binary sum of flags. So say in the above image, the input 5 would output 32 (2^5), and input 2 would output 4 (2^4), the wire would then transmit 36. I thought shifting the bits back the same I shifted them forward would give me their individual values back, but that only works for the largest input. Is there a way to do this, or am I overcomplicating this?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It looks like your wire is transmitting 36, exactly the way you want it to? Thus, the problem must be in how you're pulling it back apart (which you didn't show us).

But, I think I know what's going on. You're trying to read these flags by shifting right the same number you've shifted left, yes? And it's not working right when a flag with a bigger number is also set? That's because when you shift right, you don't just have a 1 or a 0, you also have whatever higher bits were set by other flags. You'll need to clear those out somehow.

The easiest way is to accomplish that is to, after you do your right shift, do a bitwise AND (the & symbol) with 1.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Jabor posted:

It looks like your wire is transmitting 36, exactly the way you want it to? Thus, the problem must be in how you're pulling it back apart (which you didn't show us).

But, I think I know what's going on. You're trying to read these flags by shifting right the same number you've shifted left, yes? And it's not working right when a flag with a bigger number is also set? That's because when you shift right, you don't just have a 1 or a 0, you also have whatever higher bits were set by other flags. You'll need to clear those out somehow.

The easiest way is to accomplish that is to, after you do your right shift, do a bitwise AND (the & symbol) with 1.

Probably would have helped if I showed the whole thing eh.

But weird, yeah, doing the bitwise AND did the trick. I wonder why? I figured that the binary representation for the sum would not have weird combos. Like 32 would be 10000, and 4 would be 10, so the sum would be 10010. So if you shifted it 2, you'd get 1, and if you shifted it 5 you'd get 1.

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

nullEntityRNG posted:

I figured that the binary representation for the sum would not have weird combos. Like 32 would be 10000, and 4 would be 10, so the sum would be 10010. So if you shifted it 2, you'd get 1, and if you shifted it 5 you'd get 1.

If you shift 10010 once, you get 01001. The "& 1" operation isolates just the lowest bit.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

nullEntityRNG posted:

That's an elegant way to unload a train - but wouldn't be slightly slower to unload than just lining both sides with all 6 unloaders; or is there something I might be missing?

Inserting into chests is much faster than dropping on to a belt, as the inserter can release its load instantly instead of releasing them one by one as the belt moves along.

Inserting on to a splitter from the side is faster than a belt (as it's effectively dropping on to two belts at once) but it's still slower than a chest.

Note that even though the splitters are each only filling a single belt lane, they are still faster than dropping on to a belt as the belts in the splitter act as a small buffer and continue to release the items while the inserter is rotating back to pick up more.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You should be able to get five inserters per car and still get four of them placing on to splitters, if you're willing to use the space between cars.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The station in the picture yields four almost-compressed blue belts per wagon, and that's enough for me.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

greatZebu posted:

If you shift 10010 once, you get 01001. The "& 1" operation isolates just the lowest bit.

:doh:

I've spent like 1000 hours in this game and I still get surprised in unique ways to unload a train. Thanks!

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
So after launching rockets and sciencing, I usually lose interest because that's like the 'win condition' and by then I've researched everything and feel pretty good about myself.

What mods would help build out the endgame, give me more to do, build out substantially more research options, present new challenges after getting my rockets launching?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Space Exploration turns rocket launches into the end of the mid game its great

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
I'm leery of installing add-ons by that guy earendil because he keeps insisting on adding rules unrelated to the core add-on. For example, I think space exploration disallows placing buildings within a radius of biter nests because he thinks forward turret placement \ creep is cheating.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
This isn't the best factory ever by any means but it launches rockets and after my runs for the last couple of patches just kinda petered out once I got to modules I'm happy to finally have gotten to end game again.

main base:

(click for giant 8000x4000 version, thanks /c game.take_screenshot)

map:

Most of the messy parts of the base are intentionally messy; I made a clean and logical base once and hated it so now I try my best to do all manufacturing at least slightly ad-hoc and just cram in new things where they fit and the right resources are nearby. Some of the messy parts are not intentionally messy, like the terrible awful copper belting that's really limiting my output. I also don't use blueprints from other people or even my old factories because, well, designing assembler setups is the fun part of the game to me. Some of the designs I made this time turned out pretty good, like the red chip layout. Others not so much, like doing all the rocket parts on artificial islands which in practice was more annoying than cool.

I am particularly happy with how my enrichment setup turned out:

First time I set up enrichment since priority splitters were added and they let me do it in a way that's nice and compact, and looks pretty neat in motion. The circuit logic is relatively simple. The enrichment loop has buffer chests at its input (left) and output (right). The output buffer is set to hold a max of 600 U235 and U238. If it has >500 of both types then the ore processing is turned off. As a failsafe I also turn off the enrichment centrifuges if the input buffer ever has more U235 than U238, but I don't think that'll ever happen.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

:golfclap:

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Duodecimal posted:

I'm leery of installing add-ons by that guy earendil because he keeps insisting on adding rules unrelated to the core add-on. For example, I think space exploration disallows placing buildings within a radius of biter nests because he thinks forward turret placement \ creep is cheating.

That part's actually AAI Prograable Vehicles. Space Exploration is mandatory robot attrition, no infinite resources, and it overrides Nauvis' resource richness.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Yeah. Christ, what an rear end in a top hat. I thought his add-ons were really interesting, but so much modder baggage.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Someone submit a similar mod that adds Oblivion gates.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Tesla was right posted:

Space Exploration is mandatory robot attrition, no infinite resources, and it overrides Nauvis' resource richness.

Once I understood what space exploration was going for I kinda agree with these changes. They’re not (just) random, they’re something that applies to every single planet that spx generates including nauvis. Nauvis has limited space and resources as a forcing function to get you engaged and off planet, and robot attrition like solar panel efficiency in the context of spx is a set of trade offs built on planet location. It’s also configurable in mod settings.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
It doesn't matter if it makes sense for a "normal" setting.

It's there, and even if it can be configured, it cannot be switched off. And looking at the code there is no mathematical reason to not allow arbitrary values, including 0, or even toggles.

It's a difficulty setting and he insists on forcing it on you.

And he's been an rear end to people who tried to make possible to disable it.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Well for the robot attrition cant you just remove it from the dependencies in the .cfg?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
In news which likely nobody will give a poo poo about, I'm completely rewritten Name Lists and Japanese Station Names, with corresponding updates to Renamer and Nuclear Locomotives.

Name Lists does not include any custom name lists itself, rather it acts as a single point for other mods to register their own custom lists of names to replace the randomly-selected backer names from the base game. It exposes an interface that other mods (such as Renamer) can use to request a new name for an entity that supports backer names.
Renamer does not require Name Lists, but if Name Lists is present and there is a valid list of names for the entity being renamed, it will add a button to generate a new name.

Japanese Station Names is an example of a mod that adds a list of names as well as options to include which entity types to apply them to.
Nuclear Locomotives includes an optional list of pun names to apply specifically to nuclear locomotives.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 8, 2020

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

You’re a treasure and an artisan, GotLag.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I'm unhappy with the name of my fluid recipe flipping mod, Mirror Mirror on the Oil. That was a dumb placeholder name and it's just not growing on me at all.

But what the gently caress else could I call it?

Mirror Universe?
Flipper?
Untitled Fluid Mod?

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
I thought there might be a joke around the phrase gender fluid, but it's probably impossible to avoid being offensive riffing off that term.

Maybe Aussie Oil Refining because it's antipodean?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
sǝdıɔǝᴚ pınʃℲ

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Should I just called it Chirality?

Stereochemistry?

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

GotLag posted:

Should I just called it Chirality?

Stereochemistry?

Mirrored Fluid Inputs

Mirrored Fluid Ports

Flexible Fluid Ports

AmbiFluids?

I don't know -- nothing will ever be as good as 'Honk'

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
diulF
liO

Or going along with Honk

Glug
Slurp
Bloop

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Wrangletube

Unction Junction

A Mod For Mirroring Refinery Outputs

An Evil Refinery From a Mirror Universe (With a Goatee)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Jvie posted:

An Evil Refinery From a Mirror Universe (With a Goatee)

:getin:

This also neatly answers my question of "what the gently caress do I use for a thumbnail"