Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

facialimpediment posted:

Mayo Pete had an answer queued up.

https://twitter.com/PeteButtigieg/status/1225611968234610689

What really annoys me is that this motherfucker had me going for like a solid week.

Speaks 7 languages but not English

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

A Bad Poster posted:

I'd love to see what the right wing hate machine would have to say about a disabled veteran WOC being the VP candidate. Hooooo boy it would be vicious.

"I like people that don't get shot down"

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-05/china-sacrifices-a-province-to-save-the-world-from-coronavirus
China's quarantine is working–according to Bloomberg News, 97% of the deaths from Coronavirus have been in Hubei and Wuhan. It'll be interesting to see if China's social fabric will waver after this, as the capitalist sentiment from recent decades may drive people to become more selfish and not stand for forced lockdown/quarantine. No "mah rights" people there yet I suppose

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Suicide Watch posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-05/china-sacrifices-a-province-to-save-the-world-from-coronavirus
China's quarantine is working–according to Bloomberg News, 97% of the deaths from Coronavirus have been in Hubei and Wuhan. It'll be interesting to see if China's social fabric will waver after this, as the capitalist sentiment from recent decades may drive people to become more selfish and not stand for forced lockdown/quarantine. No "mah rights" people there yet I suppose

In other hellplague news, that Japanese cruise ship that was quarantined for Coronavirus has over 60 cases reported now, up from 10.

There's going to be a hell of a lot of sick people on that ship.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Suicide Watch posted:

I had a Popeye's Spicy Chicken Sandwich™ today and it was delicious. Can't beat it for $3.99!

I was kinda wowed by how good it was, doubly so for fast food

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I don't know why you're surprised, Popeye's chicken is the shizznit.

Goddamnit Sandler.

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

orange juche posted:

In other hellplague news, that Japanese cruise ship that was quarantined for Coronavirus has over 60 cases reported now, up from 10.

I used to work on that ship. I can’t loving imagine being stuck in the lovely inside cabins for days as a passenger. Let alone as crew.. The berthing belowdecks is going to be.. fragrant.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'd imagine working on any cruise ship is some level of hell I've managed to not personally discover yet.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

orange juche posted:

How do you properly quarantine a cruise ship? I think leaving people in there will keep the contagion there but spike the number of patients. I guess you'd need a quarantine place off ship to put everybody to minimize damage, but who plans for that?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Nobody. That's why there's reports of cruise ships floating right now loaded to the gills and being denied port all over SE Asia.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I think the only respite they’d get is maybe someone dropping supplies to them via helicopter.

Maybe :(

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
You can take on supplies from a boat.

The magic of cruise ships is that they don’t belong to anybody who gives a gently caress about them. This is a fiscal feature, but when it comes to humanitarian concerns, lol gently caress you, unless you’re close to the US and have lots of US Citizens on-board.

Then you might be allowed to dock and disembark the citizens.

Then gently caress off.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Posting this just for the sick burn

quote:

The classic view is that the pool of American voters is basically fixed: About 55 percent of eligible voters are likely to go to the polls, and the winner is determined by the 15 percent or so of “swing voters” who flit between the parties. So a general election campaign amounts to a long effort to pull those voters in to your side.

Bitecofer has a nickname for this view. She calls it, with disdain, the “Chuck Todd theory of American politics”: “The idea that there is this informed, engaged American population that is watching these political events and watching their elected leaders and assessing their behavior and making a judgment.”

“And it is just not true.”

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
AOC won and unseated a massively powerful democrat, and Beto almost won a senate seat in Texas by doing the radical idea of turning non-voters into voters by engaging with them.

The audacity of it all.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Erghh posted:

This is a good article, in addition to the great burn

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Erghh posted:

Oh poo poo, I read a bunch of her stuff early last year.

She's good. Like, she's able to do a good job of reading polling without dipping her toes where she shouldn't *cough* Nate Silver *cough*.

Here's something she wrote last July on the election.
https://cnu.edu/wasoncenter/2019/07/01-2020-election-forecast/

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
To the surprise of absolutely noone, Trump has been lying about how much his company charges the Secret Service.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...5a4e_story.html

quote:

Secret Service has paid rates as high as $650 a night for rooms at Trump’s properties

By David A. Fahrenthold, Jonathan O'Connell, Carol D. Leonnig and Josh Dawsey

Feb. 7, 2020 at 8:00 a.m. EST
President Trump’s company charges the Secret Service for the rooms agents use while protecting him at his luxury properties — billing U.S. taxpayers at rates as high as $650 per night, according to federal records and people who have seen receipts.

Those charges, compiled here for the first time, show that Trump has an unprecedented — and largely hidden — business relationship with his own government. When Trump visits his clubs in Palm Beach, Fla., and Bedminster, N.J., the service needs space to post guards and store equipment.

Trump’s company says it charges only minimal fees. But Secret Service records do not show that.

At Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Club, the Secret Service was charged the $650 rate dozens of times in 2017, and a different rate, $396.15, dozens more times in 2018, according to documents from Trump’s visits.

New documents obtained under the Freedom of Information Act reveal the rates the Secret Service paid at President Trump's priorities. (Zach Purser Brown/The Washington Post)
And at the Trump National Golf Club Bedminster, the Secret Service was charged $17,000 a month to use a three-bedroom cottage on the property, an unusually high rent for homes in that area, according to receipts from 2017. Trump’s company billed the government even for days when Trump wasn’t there.

These payments appear to contradict the Trump Organization’s own statements about what it charges members of his government entourage. “If my father travels, they stay at our properties for free — meaning, like, cost for housekeeping,” Trump’s son Eric said in a Yahoo Finance interview last year.

The full extent of the Secret Service’s payments to Trump’s company is not known. The Secret Service has not listed them in public databases of federal spending, as is usually required for payments over $10,000.

Instead, documents have come out piecemeal, through public records requests from news organizations and watchdog groups. The Washington Post compiled available records and found 103 payments from the Secret Service to Trump’s company dated between January 2017 and April 2018.

The records show more than $471,000 in payments from taxpayers to Trump’s companies. But — because these records cover only a fraction of Trump’s travel during a fraction of his term — the actual total is likely to be higher.

“It is more than a little disconcerting, knowing this is going on, and not knowing what the actual numbers are,” said Jordan Libowitz, of the watchdog group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington. “That’s kind of crazy that we know the president is benefiting from the presidency, and we do not know how. We do not know how many taxpayer dollars are in his pocket.”

The White House did not respond to questions about Trump’s knowledge of these payments.

In a statement, the Secret Service said that its spending “balances operational security with judicious allocation of resources.” By law, Secret Service agents are exempt from the government’s usual per diem spending limits while they are protecting the president. The Secret Service did not respond to a question about why the purchases weren’t listed in public databases.

Trump still owns his company. In response to questions from The Post, a company spokesperson said Mar-a-Lago does not charge the Secret Service $650 per room but did not address whether it had charged that rate in the past. The company also noted that the rental cottage at Bedminster contains “multiple rooms and [includes] numerous common spaces.”

The company did not answer questions about the rates it charges the Secret Service now.

“We provide the rooms at cost and could make far more money renting them to members or guests,” Trump Organization Executive Vice President Eric Trump said in a statement. He gave no details about how the company calculates the “at-cost” price.

During the 2016 campaign, Trump told voters that — if he was elected — he would not have time for travel.

“I would rarely leave the White House because there’s so much work to be done,” Trump told the Hill in a June 2015 interview. “I would not be a president who took vacations. I would not be a president that takes time off.”

But since taking office, Trump has spent more than 342 days — a third of his entire presidency — at his private clubs and hotels, according to a tally by The Post. Trump has said he works during these trips.

The Secret Service always comes with him, as it does with all presidents. But the Trump Organization has assured the public that it is giving the government a great deal. Last year, Eric Trump told Yahoo Finance that when his father does visit his properties, he is legally required to charge something.

Eric Trump did not say what law required Trump to charge his own government, and the Secret Service did not respond to questions asking what law he was referring to. The Secret Service is part of the Department of Homeland Security, whose internal directives state, “DHS may accept gifts to carry out program functions.”

“If he stays at one of his places, the government actually . . . saves a fortune because, if they were to go to a hotel across the street, they’d be charging them $500 a night, whereas, you know we charge them, like 50 bucks,” Eric Trump said.

That appears to be wrong.

The Secret Service is required to tell Congress twice a year about what it spends to protect Trump at his properties.

But since 2016, it has only filed two of the required six reports, according to congressional offices. The reasons, according to Secret Service officials: key personnel left and nobody picked up the job.

Even in those two reports, the lines for Bedminster and Mar-a-Lago were blank.

The Secret Service officials said only that they abide by the law, but they did not elaborate. They are probably referring to a provision that requires them to tell Congress about “permanent” costs. They may not consider anything they’ve done at either club permanent.

Senate Democrats have asked the Trump administration to provide more details on the costs of Trump’s travel as part of negotiations over a bill governing the Secret Service. But Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin has told the Senate committee that he opposes a requirement to deliver those details until December 2020 at the earliest, which falls after the election.

“They’ve really stonewalled us,” said Sen. Tom Udall (D-N.M.). “He’s trying to hide the details from the public, because he knows how bad it looks. That’s the truth of it. He’s a billionaire, but we’re spending millions of dollars to support his for-profit clubs and for-profit businesses.”

The Post sought to quantify one part of that spending — the money that goes directly to Trump’s own businesses.

Most of the 103 payments discovered by The Post went to just three Trump properties: the Trump International Hotel in Washington and the president’s clubs at Mar-a-Lago and Bedminster.

They showed that Trump had quickly shattered past precedent. Other recent presidents have allowed the Secret Service to use their properties — George H.W. Bush’s compound in Maine, Bill Clinton’s home in suburban New York, George W. Bush’s ranch in Texas — free, according to the Secret Service and spokespeople for those former presidents.

The Post could find only one other recent example of a president or vice president charging his own Secret Service rent. Former vice president Joe Biden charged $2,200 a month for a cottage on his property in Delaware. Unlike the payments to Trump, Biden’s payments were listed in public spending databases. Biden was paid a total of $171,600 over six years.

Trump exceeded that total within three months, records show.

In February 2017, for instance, Trump made his first presidential trip to Mar-a-Lago — a for-profit club with guest rooms and suites available to members. The Secret Service sent dozens of people. Most of them stayed at other hotels nearby.

But they also rented at least three rooms at Mar-a-Lago, records show.

The rate: $650 per night, according to two people who saw receipts. They spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak on the matter.

That was more than triple the normal limit on federal spending for a hotel room in that area, which was $182. It was even more than what the State Department paid for rooms at Mar-a-Lago around the same time, which was $520 to $546.

“The operational needs of the Secret Service can differ from those in the Department of State,” a Secret Service spokeswoman said, to explain why their rooms had cost more than the State Department’s.

Presidents are exempt from federal conflict-of-interest rules. And the Secret Service is exempt from hotel-room spending limits.

So Trump’s company was free to charge what it wanted.

And, according to one former senior administration official with direct knowledge of the operation, his club often treated the Secret Service like any other customer. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity to preserve relationships with the Trump administration.

“The club wanted to charge the rack rate,” the former official said, saying that sometimes officials had to call Eric Trump to lobby for a lower rate. “The club managers were not always that accommodating.”

In 2018, the room rate charged to the Secret Service was lower: $396.15 per night, according to public records obtained by the watchdog group Judicial Watch. One possible reason for the drop in price: The 2018 receipts list the Secret Service as an “honorary member” of the club, which could have made it eligible for a member discount.

But in 2018, receipts show, the Secret Service tended to book more rooms and stay longer than they had in 2017 — in one case, when Trump came for two weekends in a row, the Secret Service rented four rooms for nine nights apiece. They stayed all week, even while Trump was gone.

In Bedminster, records show, the Secret Service went further: It paid not by the day — but for a whole month at a time. The Secret Service rented the club’s “Sarazen Cottage,” a three-bedroom building near Trump’s own villa, from July 1 to Oct. 1, 2017.

The former senior administration official said the cottage was needed to store equipment and provided living space for five or six agents. So — even though Trump was only there about a third of the time — the equipment was there every day. So they paid every day.

“You can’t rent the villa part of the year to someone else because it has to stay a Secret Service space,” said the official.

The Trump club does not publish data on the normal rates for these cottages — even to its own members. They are told to contact management for a quote, according to member brochures obtained by The Post.

But the rate of $17,000 per month seems unusually high for a monthly rental. Since fall 2017, there have been 100 rental listings for homes with three or more bedrooms in Bedminster, according to the website Zillow.com. None were anywhere near Trump’s rate; the average rental rate was $3,400, and the highest rent listed on Zillow was $8,500. Trump charged twice that.

It is unclear whether the monthly payments to Trump’s company began earlier or continued after the date of the last record. Documents obtained by Property of the People — a watchdog group set up to seek documents on Trump’s administration — also appear to show the $17,000 per month rate being paid in May 2017.

And former housekeepers from the Bedminster club have said that the Secret Service continued to use the cottage long after these records end, through 2018.

Another visitor to the club — who spoke on the condition of anonymity to preserve access to the club — reported seeing Secret Service agents in the cottage as recently as December.

The Secret Service did not answer questions about whether it was still paying.

The many gaps in the Secret Service data leave many unanswered questions.

Among them: Why were these payments to Trump’s clubs not listed in public databases of federal spending, such as usaspending.gov? The Secret Service has publicly listed many other transactions related to Trump’s stays at his clubs — rentals of golf carts, tents and portable toilets.

But it has not listed any of these payments to Trump’s own businesses.

“It is a surprise” that these payments are not listed, said Sean Moulton of the watchdog group Project on Government Oversight. Without public data about payments to Trump, he said, “the public doesn’t even know the questions they should be asking.”

Also: Why did the Secret Service spend so much at Trump’s D.C. hotel, a place where — unlike Bedminster and Mar-a-Lago — Trump has not stayed overnight since taking office? In response to records request from NBC News, the Department of Homeland Security released a listing of 39 payments there during Trump’s first year, totaling $159,000.

The documents do not give the reasons for those payments — or give the rate that Trump’s company charged.

Joshua Partlow, Nate Jones and Alice Crites contributed to this report.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Any other president...

Did racism really bring this all on? Did Obama really brake this many brains that even the Secret Service is complicit?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

McNally posted:

To the surprise of absolutely noone, Trump has been lying about how much his company charges the Secret Service.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...5a4e_story.html

At this point they could leak his One Night In Ivanka (With Special Guest Star Harvey Weinstein) sex tape and nobody would notice, or care

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

It feels like we’re really starting to see a shift in the number of people who recognize how hosed we are politically, environmentally, and economically.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The thing with this particular administration is that there's a considerable number of people that are radically unqualified filling critical positions, or in many cases those critical positions are unfilled entirely. So all you've got are empty seats and sycophants.

I've mentioned it before, but there's going to be considerable damage to the long-term GOP apparatus regarding political appointees in future GOP administrations. A lot of your mid-level GWB appointees patiently waiting out Obama couldn't get jobs in this administration, and if it flips to Bernie that's potentially another 8 years to go. So you're looking at potentially a 20 year gap in political resumes which will make things pretty hard to get back into the saddle. One of my bosses worked in the White House for both of GWB's terms and their circle of GOP pols are all saying they're done with politics, gently caress it.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

LingcodKilla posted:

Any other president...

Did racism really bring this all on? Did Obama really brake this many brains that even the Secret Service is complicit?

the Secret Service IME is has a huge component of admittedly well-trained and dedicated broke-brain CHUDs.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Vasudus posted:

One of my bosses worked in the White House for both of GWB's terms and their circle of GOP pols are all saying they're done with politics, gently caress it.

:discourse:

:salt:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Ragtime All The Time posted:

It feels like we’re really starting to see a shift in the number of people who recognize how hosed we are politically, environmentally, and economically.

The polarization of political discourse is affecting your echo chamber.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

They would 100% work in the Trump admin if they could, but they're all blackballed because of social media. Now they're all salty because they'll be pushing late 50s before they can get back in.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Vasudus posted:

The thing with this particular administration is that there's a considerable number of people that are radically unqualified filling critical positions, or in many cases those critical positions are unfilled entirely. So all you've got are empty seats and sycophants.

I've mentioned it before, but there's going to be considerable damage to the long-term GOP apparatus regarding political appointees in future GOP administrations. A lot of your mid-level GWB appointees patiently waiting out Obama couldn't get jobs in this administration, and if it flips to Bernie that's potentially another 8 years to go. So you're looking at potentially a 20 year gap in political resumes which will make things pretty hard to get back into the saddle. One of my bosses worked in the White House for both of GWB's terms and their circle of GOP pols are all saying they're done with politics, gently caress it.

All of this is a good thing in the GOP's world view. The more hosed up and dysfunctional the government, the more the monied interests behind them can burn the country down to loot the ashes and the more the political office seekers can campaign on GUBMINT BAD (and, lately, transition to "everything is bad and it's [insert minority]'s fault, let me punish them for you")

They WANT to break everything this way.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Handsome Ralph posted:

Oh poo poo, I read a bunch of her stuff early last year.

She's good. Like, she's able to do a good job of reading polling without dipping her toes where she shouldn't *cough* Nate Silver *cough*.

Here's something she wrote last July on the election.
https://cnu.edu/wasoncenter/2019/07/01-2020-election-forecast/

Thanks for that link. Legit interested in this stuff but it's hard to find a starting point since it does tends to crawl off in all sorts of dirctions *cough* Nate Silver *cough*.

Also just seeing attempts at accounting for the "political schizophrenia" of some of the voting populace. (IIRC there was a tweet from some rally with a dude who was torn between Sanders and Bloomberg for some reason).

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Erghh posted:

Also just seeing attempts at accounting for the "political schizophrenia" of some of the voting populace. (IIRC there was a tweet from some rally with a dude who was torn between Sanders and Bloomberg for some reason).

The simple accounting is that average American voters just don't give a poo poo about civics and politics.

A typical voter isn't your Online, twitter-using, article reading kind of high-information voter. So, that leads to a lot of Cult of Personality voting, with people voting for candidates that literally visually look right to them, or the candidate that they "trust" the most, or the candidate that got a spotlight during the local news broadcast they just so happened to watch at some time. In a lot of cases, it has very little to do with policy preferences, because they don't have a policy preference!

It's an interesting theory that the electoral cake is already baked now, at this minute, because of the saturation of Donnie Brainstem everywhere. But, prediction punditry is inherently bad, so be skeptical of all explanations of everything.

Edit: https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1225838433765072896?s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 7, 2020

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

LingcodKilla posted:

Any other president...

The conservative zeitgeist is obsessed with winning, or the perception of, at all cost. A black man winning was a huge L for fragile white minds.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Erghh posted:

That Works posted:

This is a good article, in addition to the great burn

Negative partisanship explains a lot.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The conservative zeitgeist is obsessed with winning, or the perception of, at all cost. A black man winning was a huge L for fragile white minds.

And Trump personifies this mentality to a T.

It's a big reason why the GOP went ride-or-die with the Kavanaugh nomination. Under "normal" rules Kavanaugh would have been dropped like a bad habit as soon as Dr. Ford came forward, but because Trump can never admit to being wrong and needs to win at everything always, he insisted that the GOP back Kavanaugh, with the overt threat being that he will primary them otherwise.

So because nobody in Congress can even fathom losing their jobs and parking spaces and free appetizers at the Old Ebbett Grill (Fridays before 5PM), the GOP will support him until he has a mini-stroke and accidentally nukes Baltimore.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
"Accidentally" nukes Baltimore.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bird food bathtub posted:

All of this is a good thing in the GOP's world view. The more hosed up and dysfunctional the government, the more the monied interests behind them can burn the country down to loot the ashes and the more the political office seekers can campaign on GUBMINT BAD (and, lately, transition to "everything is bad and it's [insert minority]'s fault, let me punish them for you")

They WANT to break everything this way.

Is there a particular name for this strategy

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Nihilism?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nm

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Milo and POTUS posted:

Arguably it's accelerationism, but these days there's a bunch of debates about what exactly counts as accelerationism because there is nothing that people won't argue over.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Milo and POTUS posted:

"Starve the beast"

I remember the Arizona Republicans taking it to it's logical conclusion and wanting to disband the legislature.

It's weaponized Ayn Rand.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Like many things it's also a concept that is at direct odds with other parts of the party. For every Republican that wants to get rid of government there's two more that only want it to persist just enough to issue out contracts.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
https://www.gsa.gov/travel/plan-boo...city=New%20york

Edit content: government rate at Mar a Lago should be 118 to 203, but obviously the secret service have to setup wherever the president is, even if he's not using the government rate.

piL fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Vasudus posted:

Like many things it's also a concept that is at direct odds with other parts of the party. For every Republican that wants to get rid of government there's two more that only want it to persist just enough to issue out contracts.

The Texas GOP is fighting a three way battle between the racist as gently caress electorate, the culture warriors who want to regulate bathrooms, and The business community that wants to pay no taxes but also get government contracts forever and wants cheap immigrant labor, legal or otherwise