Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

pointsofdata posted:

On the topic of getting better at draft, what's the cut here?

I think it's either physician or aspect of lamprey.
Minion's Return, most likely.

I'd maybe be inclined to lose Lamprey as well, for that second Omen of Death. Every yard recursion is likely another ping of Gary.

And Flicker + Gary is a combo I'm goign to have to watch out for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

pointsofdata posted:

I'd cut minion's return or flicker before either of those.

e: also, if you have soulreaper and a couple lampads in there I think omen of the sun is also better than funeral rites.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i have been playing with minion's return in my most recent draft, and I think it's underwhelming in practice compared to how good it seems it might be. you're rarely going to be yoinking some great creature from your opponent unless you're already handily winning.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The plan was attaching it to gary or catoblepas. It doesn't work if he is already in the gy so I'll cut it. I think omen of the sun instead of funeral rights is a good call, thanks.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Paul Zuvella posted:

I mean I'm glad you are excited about a new mode, but just playing with a deck someone drafted that happened to 7-x is not going to move the needle on making you better at limited. Actually drafting is the hard part, and the only way you get better at that is practice or studying.

Hmm if only there were a format, perhaps soon, in which newer limited players could study successful decks. drat Paul that’s a great idea!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Paul Zuvella posted:

I mean I'm glad you are excited about a new mode, but just playing with a deck someone drafted that happened to 7-x is not going to move the needle on making you better at limited. Actually drafting is the hard part, and the only way you get better at that is practice or studying.

playing with the limited decks that work will show you why they work and why cards you're undervaluing pay off

it doesn't tell you everything but it does give you insight you're not going to get on cards you consistently misvalue

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Hmm if only there were a format, perhaps soon, in which newer limited players could study successful decks. drat Paul that’s a great idea!

Except your getting a deck in a vacuum with no context on how it was drafted and how the games played out, with no actual reason to believe the deck in well constructed at all, and then just sit down to essentially play some games of bad standard decks.

I promise, you can learn more about playing limited by watching someone like Ben Stark or Reid Duke do a single draft, rather than playing this mode for like 5-6 hours.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m not accusing you of ableism but for some playing with the cards that won people games can and absolutely will be more valuable to people like me who can’t learn from videos. Watching other people play video games puts me to sleep. A lot of people can only learn by doing.

I’m willing to run the risk of playing a bad pile that was skillfully piloted to 7-2 because a few hours of this mode will yield “ok this card is in a lot of decks it must be good, ok this removal spell isn’t as good here” and will allow people who don’t consume draft content to see how the archetypes are supposed to work.

I’d like to get better at limited without having to commit 4 hours to watching Ben Stark or LSV drone on in their office clerk voices.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

You don't have to watch for 4 hours, literally only watch them do the draft part. You get better at magic by playing magic, that you can do on your own, but the only thing you can do to get better at drafting is either draft or watch other people draft.

You don't get better at cooking by eating other peoples food, no matter how good it is.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I’m not sure any chef I’ve ever met would agree with that, but it’s pretty clear you’ve made up your mind.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Paul Zuvella posted:

You don't have to watch for 4 hours, literally only watch them do the draft part. You get better at magic by playing magic, that you can do on your own, but the only thing you can do to get better at drafting is either draft or watch other people draft.

You don't get better at cooking by eating other peoples food, no matter how good it is.

this is dumb in several ways. the most significantly stupid way it's dumb in is that who cares if watching other people draft may be better at learning to draft well; this way may be more fun.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

pointsofdata posted:

The plan was attaching it to gary or catoblepas. It doesn't work if he is already in the gy so I'll cut it. I think omen of the sun instead of funeral rights is a good call, thanks.

omen of the dead does the same thing but you don't have to do it the exact second your creature dies

I like leonin here better than piper since I'd rather deal with graveyard cards than get a Goat.

out: minions return, grim physician (fuckin sucks and you have plenty of low drops to deal with theirs), flicker, discordant piper.

in: omen of the dead, omen of the sun, leonin of the lost pride

also I want to see the rest of your sideboard, in case there's anything good in there

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m not accusing you of ableism but for some playing with the cards that won people games can and absolutely will be more valuable to people like me who can’t learn from videos. Watching other people play video games puts me to sleep. A lot of people can only learn by doing.

There are a lot of things I can learn by researching, and I prefer it in a lot of situations. However, I find watching streamers extremely boring. Part if it being boring is that if I don't have every (or most or whatever) card memorized it's too hard to follow and actually get value out of. The other part is that if I have time to watch someone play I'd rather just use that time to play.

And also this effect:

evilweasel posted:

i have been playing with minion's return in my most recent draft, and I think it's underwhelming in practice compared to how good it seems it might be.

Some cards seem to me like they'd perform well but I don't learn how lovely they are until I actually use them. Same for the reverse, as well.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m willing to run the risk of playing a bad pile that was skillfully piloted to 7-2 because a few hours of this mode will yield “ok this card is in a lot of decks it must be good, ok this removal spell isn’t as good here” and will allow people who don’t consume draft content to see how the archetypes are supposed to work.

I’d like to get better at limited without having to commit 4 hours to watching Ben Stark or LSV drone on in their office clerk voices.

Sorry about your narcolepsy but a good way to get a quick glimpse at what's good and what isn't is to consult a tier list. A GOOD ONE, not the one that LSV shat out on day 0 that's cooked into one of the arena apps.

Lords of Limited put their Grand Prix New Jersey limited meetings where they ranked every single card on youtube, and if they you don't want to watch each vid then you can skip to the last two seconds of each one and look at a visual representation of how they're ranked.

But if you're really horny for a 7-x list check out this masterpiece that I drafted last night, my only regret is that there wasn't a 2nd Wrap in Flames which plays really well with Heroes.

Lands got cut off in this pic but it's 10W 6R

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
For me the problem is how the gently caress did you get that list. Whenever I draft in Arena I feel like I'm getting passed poo poo over and over again. I would never see four hero of the pride in a boros agro combat trick if I tried it. I went 7-2 today with a list that was cobbled together izzet trash and won off the back of shimmerwing chimera and starlit mantle synergy with a ton of lucky draws.

edit: my issue isn't 'is this card good?' it's 'how do I get good cards together in one deck' because I see good stuff, but it's like by the time I figure out what to grab I'm on the 5th pick of the pack and nothing I want is going to wheel.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 7, 2020

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Congratulations on your 7 win draft :)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Ithle01 posted:

For me the problem is how the gently caress did you get that list. Whenever I draft in Arena I feel like I'm getting passed poo poo over and over again. I would never see four hero of the pride in a boros agro combat trick if I tried it. I went 7-2 today with a list that was cobbled together izzet trash and won off the back of shimmerwing chimera and starlit mantle synergy with a ton of lucky draws.

edit: my issue isn't 'is this card good?' it's 'how do I get good cards together in one deck' because I see good stuff, but it's like by the time I figure out what to grab I'm on the 5th pick of the pack and nothing I want is going to wheel.

Sometimes you just get lucky and the colour you start in is wide open from the beginning, like this draft. Sometimes you gotta see what's open and diverge away from what you're doing and take what's actually coming.

Here's a draft where I locked in too early (and you could argue that Spider p1p1 was already incorrect) and you can see multiple good decks pass me by because I didn't flow with the draft. This deck ended up a huge piece of poo poo, went 1-3, and even that one win was because my opponent punted extremely hard.

Because of the bots, sometimes you can guess early on what's open ahead of time, and be ready to swoop in when your guesses are confirmed. This isn't something reliable though and it's going to be a bad habit today break when 8 person drafting goes live.

While having a X-0 list in front of you does show you what cards people are winning with, it doesn't show you how they got there. Yes, when a deck falls into your lap it's very good, but you need to know when that deck is available and move into it.

salt shakeup posted:

Thank you :)

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

salt shakeup posted:

That wasn't really supposed to be a flex because I forget to mention that it was preceded by a 1-3, 0-3, and a 2-3 so it's not quite the satisfying feeling you would expect. All of those three decks were hot garbage that went nowhere and the 7 win one was just luck. I have no loving idea how to make a deck that works. The best draft deck I ever made was a TED Selesnya agro deck with one realm-cloaked giant that I made at 4am after six hours of drinking. Turns out that tronning up gingerbrutes with halberds and combat tricks is good and I've yet to see the draft bots just hand me an almost standard playable deck like that.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Ithle01 posted:

That wasn't really supposed to be a flex because I forget to mention that it was preceded by a 1-3, 0-3, and a 2-3 so it's not quite the satisfying feeling you would expect. All of those three decks were hot garbage that went nowhere and the 7 win one was just luck. I have no loving idea how to make a deck that works. The best draft deck I ever made was a TED Selesnya agro deck with one realm-cloaked giant that I made at 4am after six hours of drinking. Turns out that tronning up gingerbrutes with halberds and combat tricks is good and I've yet to see the draft bots just hand me an almost standard playable deck like that.

show us the drafts!!!

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

show us the drafts!!!

I wish I could but I didn't screen shot the poo poo piles for obvious reasons and I forgot to screen shot the winning one until I was literally in game nine. I really wish Arena let you see old draft decks, but hey I guess that's just how it is in beta.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ithle01 posted:

I wish I could but I didn't screen shot the poo poo piles for obvious reasons and I forgot to screen shot the winning one until I was literally in game nine. I really wish Arena let you see old draft decks, but hey I guess that's just how it is in beta.

Get 17lands tracker.

This one gave me my only 7-win draft so far, and a very similar r/w heroes deck went six wins a couple of days earlier. I should be getting two drafts in tomorrow, hopefully one of them will perform like this...

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Get 17lands tracker.

This one gave me my only 7-win draft so far, and a very similar r/w heroes deck went six wins a couple of days earlier. I should be getting two drafts in tomorrow, hopefully one of them will perform like this...

I'm always leery of mods and stuff, but I've considered it. Good luck on the drafts.

Overall, I'm not really impressed by r/w, but that deck was strong as gently caress. w/u on the other hand has worked well for me, I've gotten some good runs with azorious in TBD.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Why do I always forget links.

This one:

https://www.17lands.com/draft/1af9676a1bf845629cd5dc33008f8844

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

This game doesn't hand out enough wildcards. Discuss

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

A Big... Dog posted:

It does except for the rares. I'm sitting on 17 mythics and 100+ of the other ones but i'm constantly sitting at 0 rares.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

If you ever feel bad about your own sloppy play, Shahar Shenhar, 2 time world champion and arguably top 5 Magic Player of all time, just tried to counter and uncounterable spell on camera at a pro tour.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

A Big... Dog posted:

This always feels true whenever a new set comes out, but just playing steadily over however many weeks/months usually gives enough random packs / gold or gems for buying packs that you can just cobble together enough WCs easily enough. I do wish they'd let us buy wildcards with gems, but I suspect they don't want it to turn into pay-to-win.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

InterrupterJones posted:

I do wish they'd let us buy wildcards with gems, but I suspect they don't want it to turn into pay-to-win.
......you're kidding right?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

InterrupterJones posted:

This always feels true whenever a new set comes out, but just playing steadily over however many weeks/months usually gives enough random packs / gold or gems for buying packs that you can just cobble together enough WCs easily enough. I do wish they'd let us buy wildcards with gems, but I suspect they don't want it to turn into pay-to-win.

its that if you can buy wildcards direct there is never a reason to buy packs ever again and they can't hook you on the gambling aspect

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

InterrupterJones posted:

For $24 dollars you get 3 Rare and 1 Mythic Wildcard. They throw in 24 packs worth of cards as a little treat.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

InterrupterJones posted:

Good news, you can buy Wildcards with gems right now

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

A Big... Dog posted:

The issue isn't the lack of wildcards, it's that dual lands should be uncommons.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

imweasel09 posted:

It does except for the rares. I'm sitting on 17 mythics and 100+ of the other ones but i'm constantly sitting at 0 rares.

Rares are my bottleneck, too.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

InterrupterJones posted:

I do wish they'd let us buy wildcards with gems, but I suspect they don't want it to turn into pay-to-win.

You can already buy wildcards with gems. Wizards just throws in 6 packs worth of cards as a bonus to be nice.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Paul Zuvella posted:

If you ever feel bad about your own sloppy play, Shahar Shenhar, 2 time world champion and arguably top 5 Magic Player of all time, just tried to counter and uncounterable spell on camera at a pro tour.

I saw this and laughed my rear end off because I literally did the same thing on Arena this morning despite the pop-up asking me "Are you sure you want to do this?" and I just space-bar smashed my way through it.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

Sometimes you just get lucky and the colour you start in is wide open from the beginning, like this draft. Sometimes you gotta see what's open and diverge away from what you're doing and take what's actually coming.

Here's a draft where I locked in too early (and you could argue that Spider p1p1 was already incorrect) and you can see multiple good decks pass me by because I didn't flow with the draft. This deck ended up a huge piece of poo poo, went 1-3, and even that one win was because my opponent punted extremely hard.

Because of the bots, sometimes you can guess early on what's open ahead of time, and be ready to swoop in when your guesses are confirmed. This isn't something reliable though and it's going to be a bad habit today break when 8 person drafting goes live.

While having a X-0 list in front of you does show you what cards people are winning with, it doesn't show you how they got there. Yes, when a deck falls into your lap it's very good, but you need to know when that deck is available and move into it.

Thank you :)

Arrasta is a first-pick worthy card and your first 4 picks are good, imo things went off the rails when you decided your second colour was red and didn’t pick the two black cards better than Arrasta P2P1.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

A Big... Dog posted:

I hit critical mass during Eldraine such that I still have enough fun and competitive (at my level) decks with 0 THB cards that I'm raredrafting when I go limited and should be able to collect every rare in the set without spending wildcards.

Also I have a ton of wildcards because I've always enjoyed the use-what-you've-got aspect of magic.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

lol who the hell is arguing this

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/AaronGertler/status/1225903071097544704

More piles for me to craft!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

pointsofdata posted:

this seems like a deck that really needed a couple of hateful eidolons to work

anyways flicker of fate doesnt seem to do anything for you here. Well I guess its nice with aspect of lamprey and omen of the dead but that doesnt seem enough to be worth a card

babypolis fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 8, 2020