Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

TK-42-1 posted:

Talon Karrde. Enough said.

The action V transport is among the ugliest EU ships ever made.

(The Cloakshape Fighter is one of my favorites.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

TK-42-1 posted:

Talon Karrde. Enough said.

I can't tell if you mean this in a positive or negative way.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Anshu posted:

I can't tell if you mean this in a positive or negative way.

Search your feelings.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I mean, drat. The entire concept of a massive fleet of dated warships being lost but out there somewhere, waiting to be reclaimed by whoever gets there first is just cool. It's so much better than whatever the bullshit flavour of the week superweapon it is this time.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Darkrenown posted:

Show was great, but I don't really get how the timeline works (quite possibly it just doesn't and I shouldn't think about it too much). I mean, no one remembers the Jedi, who were all over the place about 40-50 years ago? Kuiil was a slave of the Empire for "3 human lifetimes", but the empire was only around for ~30 years and if he's that old he must have grown up in the old republic with Jedi aplenty and even Bounty guild leader man seems old enough to have lived through the rise and fall of the empire.

I took that line from Kuiil to mean the writers of this show agree with me that we can just ignore the prequels. Before those poo poo movies came out, I always assumed the Empire had been around for a very long time. It's a vicious, heavy handed, feared, galaxy spanning empire. Thirty years makes no sense.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Animal-Mother posted:

I took that line from Kuiil to mean the writers of this show agree with me that we can just ignore the prequels. Before those poo poo movies came out, I always assumed the Empire had been around for a very long time. It's a vicious, heavy handed, feared, galaxy spanning empire. Thirty years makes no sense.

I don't think a series where the main character's defining backstory moment involves a savage, coordinated attack by B2 Super Battle Droids flown into battle by CIS HMP gunships some 35-40 years ago is trying to communicate that it's ignoring the prequels.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Black Spire book in the new canon isn't that great (it's the biggest tie-in for Galaxy's Edge at Disney so it spends too much time just showing off all the characters and shops in the land in a really forced manner), but one thing it did well was provide a reason why the First Order would actually gain the power it did. One of the main characters is a former dedicated First Order stormtrooper captain who ended up betrayed by Phasma after he learned about her past and begrudgingly recruited into the Resistance.

He explains to Vi that the First Order would take what it needed to by force, but it often didn't have to because they would land on poor backwater planets and provide for the residents. A starving village would suddenly have men and women in gleaming armor and crisp uniforms flying down to set up canteens and feed everyone in return for their loyalty. A ton of people joined not because they were inherently prone to fascism, but because the First Order actually saved them and made their lives better. This made them much more open to indoctrination.

I suspect that outside the heavy-handed symbolism of the movies, this was the reality of the transformation from the Republic to the Empire. It wasn't like a bunch of gaunt white dudes in gray uniforms suddenly showed up overnight and began ordering massacres of undesirables. Propaganda was used to make it seem like the Jedi had betrayed the Republic and attempted to assassinate Palpatine in retaliation for the Senate granting him emergency powers, leaving him no choice but to have them exterminated. Then over the next few decades, he slowly dismantled the democratic institutions until he had a full dictatorship and the Sith were in control of the galaxy. But for the average person, they didn't have a boot on their neck. It was just a change in terminology.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

That’d tie in with what Werner was saying about quality of life under the empire. It’s a bit of the heat made the trains run on time’ style of fascism.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/nanobuds/status/1227828695383101441?s=21

Someone modded Battlefront 2 to give BB-8 a Baby Yoda skin

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/WrestlingSheet/status/1229098810162413568

I know nothing about pro-wrestling for the last couple of decades, so I have no idea who this is or if she can act, but possibly Sabine?

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
Like Gina, I think her contribution is going to be more based on her physicality. I don’t remember her as much of an actress, but she may have improved over the last few years.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

thrawn527 posted:

I know nothing about pro-wrestling for the last couple of decades, so I have no idea who this is or if she can act, but possibly Sabine?

I sincerely doubt that. If Filoni is going to bring in Sabine, he's going to bring in an actual actress.

She'll probably be an assassin/merc/bounty hunter. With her background, I could also see her being part of Cara's backstory.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

Instead of a Palpatine clone, how about an Obi-Wan clone (played by McGregor in old age makeup) so Luke has to confront an insane version of his mentor?

Only if he's called Obi-Two.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Exactly how do you pronounce “Luuke” in universe? Do they stretch the U sound when they say it out loud?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

chitoryu12 posted:

Exactly how do you pronounce “Luuke” in universe? Do they stretch the U sound when they say it out loud?

I know I do. Turn the U into 2 syllables. You know, take it for a walk, have some fun with it.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
You've heard of Luke, Luuke and Bigger Luke. But have you heard the good word about Bigger Luuke?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
No one has ever been picked for a Star Wars role based upon acting skill.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

chitoryu12 posted:

Aunt Beru wasn't sure if he was a clone or not, so "Luke ! Luuke !"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

mllaneza posted:

Aunt Beru wasn't sure if he was a clone or not, so "Luke ! Luuke !"

I love this post.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Teek posted:

You've heard of Luke, Luuke and Bigger Luke. But have you heard the good word about Bigger Luuke?

No, I subscribe to "Biigger Luke"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Elephanthead posted:

No one has ever been picked for a Star Wars role based upon acting skill.

Adam Driver?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

All the actors in the sequel trilogy were loving wonderful. It has the best acting of the whole damned Skywalker Saga.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
John Boyega may be a good actor but he was not allowed to do anything close to “acting” in those movies.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
he got to do an american accent, thats acting baby!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

John Boyega may be a good actor but he was not allowed to do anything close to “acting” in those movies.
This is insulting as gently caress to the craft of acting.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

chitoryu12 posted:

The way Aunt Beru says it

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The way Aunt Beru says it

Loo-ook?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

This is insulting as gently caress to the craft of acting.

REY? REY! REEEEEY! REEEEEEEEEEE

Edit: *a machine blows up* WOO!

LMAO: https://twitter.com/johnboyega/status/1228110573696700418?s=21

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 18, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

He does in The Force Awakens. That's where they still thought he was gonna have an important arc over the course of the trilogy so they gave him some decent stuff to work with.

Anyway, I'm going through some of the later seasons of Clone Wars that I'd never seen and it's really impressive how satisfying the whole Maul/Obi Wan rivalry is. Aside from Luke/Vader you could probably argue it's the best long-term rivalry in all of Star Wars.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That’s fair, TFA is still kind of a good movie

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The circle is complete.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/MrGeorgeWallace/status/1229844037344956416?s=20

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

TIL that George Wallace has me blocked on twitter, eventho I've never interacted with him in my life :jerry:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

TIL that George Wallace has me blocked on twitter, eventho I've never interacted with him in my life :jerry:

That means you follow someone he doesn’t like, and he has a bot set to auto block anyone who follows them.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 18, 2020

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Bust Rodd posted:

That means you follow someone he doesn’t like, and he has a bot set to auto block anyone who follows them.

Thanks! Guess George is a Nixon man
:bernin:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Teek posted:

Why not Smaller Luuke?

Or Smaller Luukes, plural?

Dozens of Smaller Luukes, each smaller than the last. Each with a tiny lightsaber.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Why not Smaller Luuke?

Or Smaller Luukes, plural?

Dozens of Smaller Luukes, each smaller than the last. Each with a tiny lightsaber.

Sluukes

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Would you rather fight 1 Luke-suzed Sluuke or 100 Sluuke-sized Lukes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

FBS posted:

Would you rather fight 1 Luke-suzed Sluuke or 100 Sluuke-sized Lukes?

I had this joke typed out last nights, but without sluuke it read really poorly and made no sense :(