Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
That was an EXTREME dick move on the shinigamis' part. Someone actually managed to find a way to use the notebook for good, and you go and kill them in return? Not cool. t:mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
It's a metaphor for capitalism

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"A-Kira" is the most hilariously on the nose thing I love it

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I kinda hate the ending. It's after the fact, shouldn't have effected him.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Given Ryuk's personality you'd think he'd be approaching apple farmers instead of Japanese students

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Crain posted:

I kinda hate the ending. It's after the fact, shouldn't have effected him.

I think it's important to drive home the series' moral that there's no world where you're smart enough to try and mess with the Death Note and not get hosed in the end.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

I think it's important to drive home the series' moral that there's no world where you're smart enough to try and mess with the Death Note and not get hosed in the end.
To be fair, the kid knowingly sold a super weapon to a global super power who would definitely abuse it. So I can see why the author drove the knife in, but adding a new rule just to do it equally feels like a cheap method of accomplishing it.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The only way to win the Death Note game is not to play, just look at not-Trump there, he survived because he's a scumbag and a coward.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Angry Lobster posted:

The only way to win the Death Note game is not to play, just look at not-Trump there, he survived because he's a scumbag and a coward.

I think you mean a saint who would never use a Death Note even when it is absolutely, 100% in his possession.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Did I just read a manga where Donald Trump obtained the Death Note? :psyduck:

I also love the irony of Near talking about how smart the new Kira is, and then the manga ends with New Kira having been killed.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Did I just read a manga where Donald Trump obtained the Death Note? :psyduck:

I also love the irony of Near talking about how smart the new Kira is, and then the manga ends with New Kira having been killed.

No, you read a manga where Donald Trump was offered the Death Note but didn't take it because it'd get him killed.

Also, to be fair, neither Near nor Minoru had any way to see his death coming. That was out of nowhere.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Well the ending to that one-shot sucked. I'm kind of amused that Near spent this entire chapter just doing his best Speedwagon impression and talking about how smart A-Kira is.

Darth TNT posted:

Agravity boys is stupid. And I keep reading it, because it's a good kind of stupid. Also a two parter!

The creature facts corner in this chapter was extremely on-point. :v: If this were to ever get an anime, I'm not sure how they could replicate this or Chris' "SEND LETTERS TO THE AUTHOR" page.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the plan was perfect considering the pieces in play that a-kira was aware of. the problem is that outside of every game board there's the whole rest of the world, waiting to gently caress poo poo up.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Brought To You By posted:

To be fair, the kid knowingly sold a super weapon to a global super power who would definitely abuse it. So I can see why the author drove the knife in, but adding a new rule just to do it equally feels like a cheap method of accomplishing it.

That's not what happens though? Ryuk just decides to kill him at the end because he's an rear end in a top hat.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Rohan Kishibe posted:

That's not what happens though? Ryuk just decides to kill him at the end because he's an rear end in a top hat.

He does it because the King made him change the rules and he couldn’t warn the kid to not withdraw the money since he told Ryuk to never appear to him again.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

The way I see it he was going to die anyway (it'd be too convenient he was just withdrawing the money otherwise) and Ryuk just "stole the kill" to make a poetic parallel with Light or something.

Still stupid that the end amounted to "and then the admin got pissed and banned the guy who found the exploit in the game, the end".

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Honestly, the kid probably found the way to pass on the Death Note in such a way that it would cause the least destruction. Even before governments got involved, anyone who could have won the bidding war can hire a hitman and buy a suitcase nuke. Scale up to armies and missiles, what's one more weapon actually gonna do?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Petiso posted:

The way I see it he was going to die anyway (it'd be too convenient he was just withdrawing the money otherwise) and Ryuk just "stole the kill" to make a poetic parallel with Light or something.

Still stupid that the end amounted to "and then the admin got pissed and banned the guy who found the exploit in the game, the end".
his death at Ryuk's hand is explicitly to mirror how Ryuk also killed Light as per the pact that the person who "used" the death note will die at the hands of the Shinigami it belonged too. I put "use" in quotes because this kid didn't actually use it which introduces a plot hole.

From chapter 71 regarding how ownership and memory loss applies. But that's just a nitpick because there were a bunch of rules shoved into the manga I can imagine nobody kept track of a decade later. Story was still interesting if basically a "what if" type of story.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
What I liked best about the story is how he acknowledged that what Yagami did would be a lot more difficult with current tech.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Darth TNT posted:

What I liked best about the story is how he acknowledged that what Yagami did would be a lot more difficult with current tech.

How's that?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mraagvpeine posted:

How's that?

Like it was mentioned in the chapter. Light wouldn't have been able to kill the FBI agent as easily and any internet use would get easily tracked.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Elfface posted:

Honestly, the kid probably found the way to pass on the Death Note in such a way that it would cause the least destruction. Even before governments got involved, anyone who could have won the bidding war can hire a hitman and buy a suitcase nuke. Scale up to armies and missiles, what's one more weapon actually gonna do?

Petiso posted:

Yeah, this is what I feel too. The kid acknowledged that if he didn't do anything and gave Ryuk the Death Note back, Ryuk would just try and find someone else who wouldn't hesitate to use it. The kid found a way to get rid of the Death Note while doing something good, by erasing Japan's debt and giving other people enough money to live comfortably. The ending sucked because it can't leave that one ray of optimism well enough alone.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Presumably like the President Ryuk would have told him about the change in rules and that withdrawing the money would mean he would have to die. But in an entirely unforeseeable way, he screwed himself by telling Ryuk to never appear before him again.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Kemono Jihen is one of my favorite comics now, check it out.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Kemono Jihen is one of my favorite comics now, check it out.

The influx of chapters this past week have been a delight. I am glad the series got a proper objective to work towards after the arachne arc.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Presumably like the President Ryuk would have told him about the change in rules and that withdrawing the money would mean he would have to die. But in an entirely unforeseeable way, he screwed himself by telling Ryuk to never appear before him again.

Still for something like death note that was "letter of the law no matter what" going ahead and changing a contract on someone after the fact is completely against the idea that everyone is told point blank all the rules for using the death note and then left to tie their own noose.

Ryuuk could've handed off the note to another shinigami who then returned it to the kid with the "hey terms of service changed agree you understand" and have some other tragedy happen related to the massive influx of wealth to Japan.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Let me understand something, Ryuk only used the Death Note on the new kid when he put his hands on the money, is that right?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

pentyne posted:

Still for something like death note that was "letter of the law no matter what" going ahead and changing a contract on someone after the fact is completely against the idea that everyone is told point blank all the rules for using the death note and then left to tie their own noose.

Ryuuk could've handed off the note to another shinigami who then returned it to the kid with the "hey terms of service changed agree you understand" and have some other tragedy happen related to the massive influx of wealth to Japan.
If they wanted to shaft the kid without adding a rule, just have him get killed by a mugger since I'd easily imagine people who use that bank would be tempting targets to those who arent. So he does all that plotting and wins, gives up his memories of it, and gets killed in a random act of violence.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Mraagvpeine posted:

Let me understand something, Ryuk only used the Death Note on the new kid when he put his hands on the money, is that right?

Yeah, the new rule explicitly said the seller dies when they receive their payment, and I guess having it in an account under his name wasn't quite enough.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like the result of that kid's plan would just be "Tokyo rents increase 1000%" lol

RatHat posted:

Like it was mentioned in the chapter. Light wouldn't have been able to kill the FBI agent as easily and any internet use would get easily tracked.

I'm pretty sure that it would actualy be very easy to use the death note without anyone ever finding you. The only reason Light was ever caught is that he hosed up really early in the series and only used it during times that allowed them to narrow the search area to Japan (and IIRC he also let them narrow the search to his neighborhood when he killed some guy out of anger, but I forget the details of that).

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Elfface posted:

Yeah, the new rule explicitly said the seller dies when they receive their payment, and I guess having it in an account under his name wasn't quite enough.

I'm just thinking that if the kid were aware of the rule, he'd stick with credit cards and ordering online for the rest of his life.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The kid's plan is kind of weird because I don't get the intent of it. If he didn't predict the new rule that would be added, then what he did is objectively ridiculous and awful - giving the Death Note to Donald Trump in exchange for giving a random group of several hundred thousand Tokyo residents a million bucks. Like, at the very least split the money among all people in the country/world or something.

If he did predict it, it makes sense as a plan to remove the threat of the Death Note through keeping it "inert" in Trump's possession. But then it doesn't make sense that he withdrew the money and pointlessly killed himself.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The point was to get paid enough to live comfortably, and the only way to make that untraceable is to obfuscate it in a large enough manner, lots of other people benefitting as well is just a side benefit.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm just thinking that if the kid were aware of the rule, he'd stick with credit cards and ordering online for the rest of his life.

The real moral of the story is that the world should go cashless.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
If he had managed to get the money out before sending Ryuk away and him changing the rules after getting in trouble, do you think he still would have died?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Hypocrisy posted:

I like Samurai 8 but that might be because I am fascinated by the massive amount of body horror it has.
It's a really weird creative manga that feels both chained to shonen and yet also not shonen enough.

Also the sexism is offputting and completely needless. In fact I think Daruma's master is a lady?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Samurai 8 feels like it should've just been a seinen title or something to have a harder edge

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

It's a really weird creative manga that feels both chained to shonen and yet also not shonen enough.

Also the sexism is offputting and completely needless. In fact I think Daruma's master is a lady?
I can't say anything for Daruma because I can't retain anything from Samurai 8 past the newest chapter.

But yeah, there's no place for female characters in that manga. The whole "Princess" system is so lame and feels like a last minute addition to the world after Kishimoto realized he forgot to add any female characters.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nanashi got fuckin robbed
And their personal arc would have tied in so well with the whole 'world and yourself is what you will it to be' theme drop we just got from Acala.

The manga is competent but consistently drops interesting threads for the most boring and predictable outcomes it can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Trump spending 1 quadrillion yen on nothing, but acting like he's a genius because he can just lie about it is about the most in character thing ever tbh