Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Was Batista a draw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Yes.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Mr. Perfect lost his unbeaten streak to Warrior, but had a program with Hogan and became one of the best IC champs ever afterwards.

Man, Perfect absolutely could have been a decent WWE champion.

Lost it to Beefcake at Wrestlemania, not Warrior.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I laughed at beefcake in real life and posted "lol" here but you really shouldn't post only a Lol. So I don't know what to say in this edit, to make up for it. WHo has the best haircut in wrestling.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
Suzuki

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Flip Gordon's stupid hair.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

oh but seriously I posted:

the canonical pro-wrestling finale is the Stephanie - Test wedding episode

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Cavauro posted:

I laughed at beefcake in real life and posted "lol" here but you really shouldn't post only a Lol. So I don't know what to say in this edit, to make up for it. WHo has the best haircut in wrestling.

Tanahashi. Regardless of when asked. Yes, even during his soccer mom bob phase.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Low Desert Punk posted:

Was Batista a draw?

PPV buys from Batista's first year as champion in 2005.

Royal Rumble: 575,000 (Batista wins the Rumble)
No Way Out: 240,000 (JBL/Big Show)
Wrestlemania: 980,000 (Batista/HHH)
Backlash: 320,000 (Batista/HHH)
Judgement Day: 260,000 (Cena/JBL)
Vengeance: 420,000 (Batista/HHH)
Great American Bash: 280,000 (Batista/JBL)
Summerslam: 650,000 (HBK/Hogan)
Unforgiven: 250,000 (Cena/Angle)
No Mercy: 230,000 (Batista/Eddie)
Taboo Tuesday: 250,000 (Cena/HBK/Angle)
Survivor Series: 400,000 (Batista captain team Smackdown)
Armageddon: 320,000 (Undertaker/Orton)

Batista was drawing great numbers until No Mercy. What happened there?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I love that JBL had the shittiest numbers in that span

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Benne posted:

I love that JBL had the shittiest numbers in that span

JBL turned me off wrestling for years, and I don't care how many revisionists know it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I really liked Justin Hawk Bradshaw and Doug Basham/Damaja so I briefly convinced myself I liked the Cabinet until I watched some Smackdown.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

PPV buys from Batista's first year as champion in 2005.

Royal Rumble: 575,000 (Batista wins the Rumble)
No Way Out: 240,000 (JBL/Big Show)
Wrestlemania: 980,000 (Batista/HHH)
Backlash: 320,000 (Batista/HHH)
Judgement Day: 260,000 (Cena/JBL)
Vengeance: 420,000 (Batista/HHH)
Great American Bash: 280,000 (Batista/JBL)
Summerslam: 650,000 (HBK/Hogan)
Unforgiven: 250,000 (Cena/Angle)
No Mercy: 230,000 (Batista/Eddie)
Taboo Tuesday: 250,000 (Cena/HBK/Angle)
Survivor Series: 400,000 (Batista captain team Smackdown)
Armageddon: 320,000 (Undertaker/Orton)

Batista was drawing great numbers until No Mercy. What happened there?

I don't see any real correlation between Batista and good or bad numbers there. Royal Rumble doesn't count, the average fan doesn't know ahead of time who will win the Rumble. WrestleMania always had the best buyrate of the year.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

rujasu posted:

I don't see any real correlation between Batista and good or bad numbers there. Royal Rumble doesn't count, the average fan doesn't know ahead of time who will win the Rumble. WrestleMania always had the best buyrate of the year.

I agree but when I look back, Wrestlemania 21 beat Wrestlemania 20 by 95,000 buys and Wrestlemania 19 by an astonishing 420,000 buys. So surely the main event has to be at least partially responsible?

And Batista's numbers for the rest of the year (minus No Mercy) are really only beaten by matches that include Michaels/Hogan/Undertaker so he was at least something of a draw.

I'd pull up the 2006/2007 numbers but I'm too drunk.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I remember WM 19 being good but I think in the terms of draws it was really hurt by them pushing Vince vs Hogan over everything else and it turns out that people don't actually want to see Vince in the ring?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I remember WM 19 being good but I think in the terms of draws it was really hurt by them pushing Vince vs Hogan over everything else and it turns out that people don't actually want to see Vince in the ring?

That and they had hosed up the booking of Brock/Angle. Instead of Brock being the giant unbeatable monster, he was the face for some dumb reason

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

TriffTshngo posted:

Tanahashi. Regardless of when asked. Yes, even during his soccer mom bob phase.

https://twitter.com/nwa/status/1226238137422241792?s=20

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hedgehog Pie posted:

JBL turned me off wrestling for years, and I don't care how many revisionists know it.

Coming back from not paying attention to wrestling for a few years to find Bradshaw had gone from the cigar chomping APA guy to a poor man's Ted Dibiase only with an actual main event push that Ted never got was so jarring. I couldn't buy it. It was sillier than Jinder getting a sudden main event push years later.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Randaconda posted:

That and they had hosed up the booking of Brock/Angle. Instead of Brock being the giant unbeatable monster, he was the face for some dumb reason

I had just started watching wrestling, so I was easy to impress, but Brock was pretty exciting and worked well as a dominant face who was chasing the belt after Heyman betrayed him.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kennel posted:

I had just started watching wrestling, so I was easy to impress, but Brock was pretty exciting and worked well as a dominant face who was chasing the belt after Heyman betrayed him.

Yeah, it was worked, kinda, but I just think Angle as the underdog face trying to get the belt off the monster heel would have probably been better.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

It was sillier than Jinder getting a sudden main event push years later.

I dunno, the premise that Jinder got his push because Vince felt he'd be the Mysterio for India is hard to beat in terms of silliness.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Hadn't Angle already been the face trying to capture the belt from Brock? Or was that later in 2003?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That was later. Kurt left after WM for a few months, came back face as friends with Brock and beat him for the title who turned on Kurt because he wanted to be champion.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I kind of love WWE's long term commitment to never even bothering to try and rehab or build up a guy when they decide they want to take him for loser to main eventer. Spent some time getting him over? Nah, just make him suddenly able to beat the guys who were squashing him a week ago.

I also miss the era of "debut someone and have them immediately win a championship."

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

STAC Goat posted:

I kind of love WWE's long term commitment to never even bothering to try and rehab or build up a guy when they decide they want to take him for loser to main eventer. Spent some time getting him over? Nah, just make him suddenly able to beat the guys who were squashing him a week ago.

I also miss the era of "debut someone and have them immediately win a championship."

I love when they actually do try to build somebody before their debut/return from injury or whatever, then they go fifty/fifty with a midcarder in their first match so they are instantly slotted

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Randaconda posted:

I love when they actually do try to build somebody before their debut/return from injury or whatever, then they go fifty/fifty with a midcarder in their first match so they are instantly slotted

Did you mean: Bryan vs Big Cass

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

projecthalaxy posted:

that also works, by the sound of it, but i don't watch much modern wwe these days

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Randaconda posted:

that also works, by the sound of it, but i don't watch much modern wwe these days

Daniel Bryan heroically returned from neck issues not to chase the title or face his forever rival the Miz, but to 50/50 big cass and only win because Cass committed Little Person Crimes

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If nothing else we got Bryan flat out calling out Cass in promo for being the shits in the ring, including the line "foot to the dome when your mama ain't home", promising he'd beat him BECAUSE Cass is poo poo, then defeating him cleanly. All because that big dope couldn't act right in a locker room that put up with JBL's rear end forc2 decades.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

If you could take any two wrestlers from any year and combine them into the best wrestler who would you choose and why was it 2002 Brock Lesnar and 2014 Brock Lesnar?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

personally I was thinking of Asuka vs Emma

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

oldpainless posted:

If you could take any two wrestlers from any year and combine them into the best wrestler who would you choose and why was it 2002 Brock Lesnar and 2014 Brock Lesnar?

Loch Ness 1995 and fka Yokozuna 1999

fat++, sad++++

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

projecthalaxy posted:

Daniel Bryan heroically returned from neck issues not to chase the title or face his forever rival the Miz, but to 50/50 big cass and only win because Cass committed Little Person Crimes

actually he came back to help the valiant hero Shane mcmahon defeat the dastardly canadian heels Kevin owens and samuel zayn, iirc

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

oldpainless posted:

Give Earthquake the Ultimate Warrior gimmick.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

oldpainless posted:

Scott Steiner from 1992 inring ability, Scott Steiner 1999 onwards persona

Or

Pillman from WWE era with his WCW preinjury skills

Or

Eddie Guerrero from the Lie Cheat and Steal era with his precar crash body and skill

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 9, 2020

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Eddie Guerrero from the Lie Cheat and Steal era with his precar crash body and skill

and, most importantly, mullet

e:

Scott Steiner from 1992 inring ability, Scott Steiner 1999 onwards persona

Or

Pillman from WWE era with his WCW preinjury skills

and, most importantly, mullets

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

LA Park with Hulk Hogan's push.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

projecthalaxy posted:

Didn't Bryan actually win both matches?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rujasu posted:

The Batista/HHH number was absolutely huge for Mania. Mania might always be the biggest PPV of the year but the number could vary greatly depending on the draws.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Yeah, Vince matches never really drew very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Agreed, HHH is a huge draw